OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 11:50:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Theosis Deification mean make of God? Dei (of God) fy (make)?  (Read 2476 times) Average Rating: 0
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:58 AM »

I"m thinking of becoming Orthodox, but Theosis or deification seems strange to me.
It makes sense to me if it means, to make of God. Deificare Dei (of God) ficare (make)
but it's nonsense of it means its modern meaning: to make someone a God.
so I'm taking this as in Spanish Hacer de Diós or to make of God, Deify deificare.
My Latin experience is leading me to this definition, that the Orthodox church is not teaching that we can be made gods but that we can be made of God, hecho de Dios factus Dei.

So please someone describe to me what the orthodox Church teaches about Theosis.

My explanation makes sense here
St. Maximus the Confessor wrote, "A sure warrant for looking forward with hope to deification of human nature is provided by the incarnation of God, which makes man god to the same degree as God himself became man.
but if it's its modern meaning how can human nature be Divine, and we as all powerful gods as God himself?

1. Jesus deified me, means: Jesus made me of God by his death (not of the world anymore)
2. Jesus deified me, means: he made me a God by his death?
3. ¿other?
so what is it in reality?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:46:47 AM by Christianus » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:52:35 AM »

Man was made in the image of God.  This image is disfigured by our sin, and Christ restores the proper image of God in us by his death and resurrection.  But the image is not only restored, it is completed.  Adam and Eve, our primordial ancestors, only knew a fraction of what we will become.  Will we lose ourselves and be absorbed into God?  No.  We will move eternally into God, transfigured by his uncreated light in our glorified bodies.  We will be untied with Him, yet separate in out person-hood.  We will move from glory to glory, forever.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:53:56 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:13 AM »

There's a great little book at http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/theosis.aspx - Theosis: The True Purpose of Human Life, By Archimandrite George, Abbot of the Holy Monastery of St. Gregorios, Mount Athos. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:58:25 AM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »

We will become perpetually more and more like God, but never in ways that violate our fundamental human nature, only in ways that supplement it.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:16:43 AM »

I"m thinking of becoming Orthodox, but Theosis or deification seems strange to me.
If you spend time in the Sun, your skin darkens and you get a tan. Your Human Nature hasn't changed, it has just adapted to being in the Sun. The more tanned you are, the safer it is to be in the Sun without burning. The same goes for the Divine Energies. We are born with a healthy "tan" which we lose due to our living in the world of sin. Theosis is the gradual tanning process to make sure that when we are fully exposed to the "Sun" (Divine Energies), we don't get a "sunburn". This tanning process continues after death since God is Infinite.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

Christianus, you may find this article helpful: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/frag_salv.aspx.

I think the best way to begin to think of theosis is to think of what it means to be united to Jesus Christ.  In baptism we are regenerated by the Spirit and made a son of God in the Son.  We are incorporated into his relationship with the Father in the Holy Spirit.  We are raised into the life of the Holy Trinity.  By adoption and grace, we pray to the Father through the Son in the Holy Spirit.  Theosis begins to make sense when one understands that Christian life is lived IN the Holy Trinity.  Re-read the Gospel of John and the letters of Paul with this in mind.   

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »

There's a great little book at http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/theosis.aspx - Theosis: The True Purpose of Human Life, By Archimandrite George, Abbot of the Holy Monastery of St. Gregorios, Mount Athos. Highly recommended.

Thank you so much for this link, I'll "gobble down" both the English and the Russian translations!

Love never fails.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »

Thank you so much for this link, I'll "gobble down" both the English and the Russian translations!

You are welcome, Heorhij.  Smiley

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »

I found this video on youtube by an athiest, it surprises me that he might be right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EwAEfOHlLM

in a way he proves Theosis, but the rest of his videos are «anti-christian».
So basically Theosis is that we become like God
and that we become partakers of the divine nature?

2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
1Co 15:49  And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
1Jn 3:2  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.  (this verse basically says that we become like God no?)

Post scriptum
What's it called where Man tries to be God himself? apotheos?
rather than being a partaker of his divine nature (which would be theosis right?)?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:25:37 PM by Christianus » Logged
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 04:39:10 PM »

We will become perpetually more and more like God, but never in ways that violate our fundamental human nature, only in ways that supplement it.
Nicely said. 
   Just as a waiter at a fine restaurant can with his black pants and white apron reach over and hand you a menu and gracefully take you order. Serve a meal with some wine and cheese appetizers. Offer you bread and olives with his waiter like voice and using a white towel between his hand and plate. Watching him closely you can than imagine yourself becoming that waiter without the slightest hint of your person being anything other than you.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »

since man is the created god, made in the image and likeness of the unoriginate God the Creator, the more divine he becomes, the more human he becomes.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »

If you spend time in the Sun, your skin darkens and you get a tan. Your Human Nature hasn't changed, it has just adapted to being in the Sun. The more tanned you are, the safer it is to be in the Sun without burning. The same goes for the Divine Energies. We are born with a healthy "tan" which we lose due to our living in the world of sin. Theosis is the gradual tanning process to make sure that when we are fully exposed to the "Sun" (Divine Energies), we don't get a "sunburn". This tanning process continues after death since God is Infinite.

That's a great analogy!  Grin

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:09 PM »

since man is the created god, made in the image and likeness of the unoriginate God the Creator, the more divine he becomes, the more human he becomes.

Yep!

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:20 PM »

I really like this.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags: theosis 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: