OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 09:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clergy Vests Revisted  (Read 3559 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:22 PM »

Traditionally, a kontorasson (clergy vest) is worn over the cassock.  Is it also acceptable to wear it over a black Roman Catholic style clergy shirt?  I am considering doing this since I am bound by obedience to my bishop not to wear a cassock outside of church property/functions, and I am not a big fan of the Roman collar, although I have worn it before when required.  It seems like wearing the black clergy shirt (minus the collar) with black pants, with the kontorasson over the shirt, would seem like a good option until a more traditional practice is instituted in my particular jurisdiction (if it ever will be.)

In Christ,

Dn. M.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

To be honest, I would not create a hybrid practice of my own. Your bishop's desire is to make Orthodox priests look like Western clergy. So if you are wearing Western clergy outfits because you believe you are supposed to be obedient to his order, then you should not wear a vest because a) you are creating your own custom and b) you would be obeying the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

I personally am scandalized but such a directive, but that's something people have discussed ad nauseum before.

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:31:44 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »

Even when I was a Franciscan, I never was a fan of the "dog collar".  I've noticed a variation of the clerical shirt that is made in the fashion of a Russian peasant shirt.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »

Good points, all.  Thank you.

To be honest, I've seen this practice before, but not often.

Again, thanks for the input.  Pray for me.

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »

What you are describing is actually the dress code for seminarians in some Orthodox countries (Romania is one that comes to mind).

Joseph
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »

i wear a clergy vest over my cassock.  however ny bishop allows this and like father a said follow your bishop's directives.. some bishops have different rules but regardless it is their authority to provide directives at the men that represent them.  after all the bishop is man in charge.. priests are representatives of that bishop who act in his behalf.. and so on down theline through deacons and minor clerics

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »

To be honest, I would not create a hybrid practice of my own. Your bishop's desire is to make Orthodox priests look like Western clergy. So if you are wearing Western clergy outfits because you believe you are supposed to be obedient to his order, then you should not wear a vest because a) you are creating your own custom and b) you would be obeying the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

I personally am scandalized but such a directive, but that's something people have discussed ad nauseum before.

Fr Anastasios

Amen.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags: clerical dress vestments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: