Author Topic: Clergy Vests Revisted  (Read 3787 times)

Offline SakranMM

• Elder
  • Most Holy Theotokos, save us!
Clergy Vests Revisted
« on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:22 PM »
Traditionally, a kontorasson (clergy vest) is worn over the cassock.  Is it also acceptable to wear it over a black Roman Catholic style clergy shirt?  I am considering doing this since I am bound by obedience to my bishop not to wear a cassock outside of church property/functions, and I am not a big fan of the Roman collar, although I have worn it before when required.  It seems like wearing the black clergy shirt (minus the collar) with black pants, with the kontorasson over the shirt, would seem like a good option until a more traditional practice is instituted in my particular jurisdiction (if it ever will be.)

In Christ,

Dn. M.
"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."

Offline Anastasios

• Webdespota
  • Administrator
  • Merarches
  • Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina
    • AnastasiosHudson.com
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist
Re: Clergy Vests Revisted
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
To be honest, I would not create a hybrid practice of my own. Your bishop's desire is to make Orthodox priests look like Western clergy. So if you are wearing Western clergy outfits because you believe you are supposed to be obedient to his order, then you should not wear a vest because a) you are creating your own custom and b) you would be obeying the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

I personally am scandalized but such a directive, but that's something people have discussed ad nauseum before.

Fr Anastasios
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:31:44 PM by Fr. Anastasios »
Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism and may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.

Offline monkvasyl

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »
Even when I was a Franciscan, I never was a fan of the "dog collar".  I've noticed a variation of the clerical shirt that is made in the fashion of a Russian peasant shirt.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline SakranMM

• Elder
  • Most Holy Theotokos, save us!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
Good points, all.  Thank you.

To be honest, I've seen this practice before, but not often.

Again, thanks for the input.  Pray for me.
"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
What you are describing is actually the dress code for seminarians in some Orthodox countries (Romania is one that comes to mind).
Joseph

Offline username!

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
i wear a clergy vest over my cassock.  however ny bishop allows this and like father a said follow your bishop's directives.. some bishops have different rules but regardless it is their authority to provide directives at the men that represent them.  after all the bishop is man in charge.. priests are representatives of that bishop who act in his behalf.. and so on down theline through deacons and minor clerics

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »
To be honest, I would not create a hybrid practice of my own. Your bishop's desire is to make Orthodox priests look like Western clergy. So if you are wearing Western clergy outfits because you believe you are supposed to be obedient to his order, then you should not wear a vest because a) you are creating your own custom and b) you would be obeying the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

I personally am scandalized but such a directive, but that's something people have discussed ad nauseum before.

Fr Anastasios

Amen.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.