OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 05:57:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the benefit of the banned: another lulu from YourCatholic.com  (Read 11972 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: November 14, 2002, 01:24:18 PM »

Good thing private revelations aren't Catholic doctrine, but still, holy living f%-ú#!

http://www.yourcatholic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

The Greek Church will never know peace apart from Rome
According to the prophesies (sic) of St. Bridget of Sweden 1373:

Let the Greeks know that their empire, their kingdoms, or dominions, shall never be secure or in settled peace, but will always be held in subjection by their enemies, from whom they shall have to suffer most grievous hardships and constant distresses: until, with true humility and good will, they shall have devoutly submitted themselves to the Church of Rome and to her faith, conforming themselves entirely to the holy ordinances and rites of that Church. (Emphasis added by me.)

Has this poster let another screaming, hissing cat out of the bag?

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 01:34:18 PM »

OH BOY !! Cheesy

And have there been any responses to it as yet ?

No I will not ask if they were favourable or not - I can guess, but I would love to know who the Poster was

The slave  -who cannot get access as yet [ but wait for the new ISP and then I will  Tongue]

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 01:51:36 PM »

The poster is Marlene.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 01:53:25 PM »

This was the post that got me banned.  I simply asked her about those Eastern Catholic churches that are on the Old Calendar, as St. Bridget's prophecy mentions something about St. Mark's feast falling on Easter, etc.  

She never really answered my question.  And never told me why she brought this up in the first place.

That's one weird lady.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 01:54:58 PM »

And the amazing this about this is that she attends a Ukrainian Greek  Catholic Church! You'd think she'd realize that many Ukrainian Greek Catholic Churches use the Julian Calendar! God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
abdur
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 02:21:11 PM »

Cassandrite Marlene is in dire need of a crash course in post nineteenth century Greek history!

Abdur
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 02:53:52 PM »

Eh, that's not so bad.  What really would've served their purpose well was if they added the following, taken from http://www.ladyofallnations.org/messages.htm

A forewarning to the Pope regarding the intentions of the Anglican Church, the Russian Church, and Armenian Church, as well as others. In addition, the Archbishop of Canterbury is depicted in strong opposition to the Church of Rome. On May 31, 1965 Ida Peerdeman was told in a locution that the Church of Rome must "keep the primacy" in its hands. Other prophecies dated: March 29, 1946 and August 15, 1950.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 03:04:35 PM »

hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahh
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2002, 03:45:24 PM »

I think Im going to barf.
JoeS

hahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahh
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2002, 11:40:44 AM »

Here's another lulu, a self-proclaimed "Roman Catholic of the byzantine rite (Ruthenian rite)" at http://www.yourcatholic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167

This guys seems so over the top that he has to be someone parodying YC.com's only acceptable Eastern Catholics, right? Or do you think this guy is for real? Thoughts?

bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2002, 12:43:49 PM »

What would the posters at Catholic.com make of St Elias Ukrainian in Brampton, Ontario??

www.saintelias.com

I fear they would run out, tearing their hair (shirts??) and screaming in terror!!!!!!!!!  Grin

Peace,
                                 Brian
« Last Edit: November 27, 2002, 12:44:30 PM by bripat22 » Logged

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2002, 12:53:37 PM »

I can't tell whether this Jeffrey chap is for real, is 'funning' us at OC.net or is spoofing YC.com's narrow approach. The last mean well - they are orthodox in the basics - but are ignorant. Their own church commands them: thou shalt not mix'n'match rites. BTW, I've met several Roman refugees at Byzantine churches and NONE have been the rude caricatures people describe online, trying to force their hosts to be more Western.

St Elias, Brampton is what the Byzantine Catholics are supposed to look like, according to a stack of papal documents... at least if the current pope doesn't intend to renege and 'aggiornamentize' them.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2002, 01:26:45 PM »

'Jeffery' - well I haven't a clue what to make of him - if he is really a Ruthenian then I'm a Dutchman Cheesy

I honestly think that I am more Eastern than he is.

I've been sitting here wondering how to respond on that thread - but I finally thought I would just sit back and see how it develops

This Eastward sloping person

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2002, 05:41:58 AM »

Well well well!

He's done it again - "Jeffrey "I mean - a new post on Eucharistic Adoration and Benediction :stunned:

He ain't me or anyone else that I can think of - but is he for real ?"

- St. John Maximovitch
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2002, 01:04:36 PM »

I just read Jeffery's posts and I must admit I'm stunned.  I've never before run across anyone in the Eastern Church who believes as he does.  I don't know if he is for real or not but I can certainly understand the Orthodox criticism of the BC's who are like him.  I wasn't sure that they really existed.  Maybe he isn't for real but if he is I renounce virtually everything he wrote.  If he represents a majority opinion of the Eastern Catholics I will be forced to rethink my commitment to the Church.   Cry

Dan Lauffer
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2002, 01:49:27 PM »

Dan, I was wondering your thoughts on this guy. His latest on how they do Eucharistic adoration and benediction in his "Roman Catholic Church of the Byzantine Rite, Ruthenian Rite" is at http://www.yourcatholic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=172

I'd heard of and sadly seen Eastern Catholic Churches without iconstasises (like in Don of BC.com's church) but a Eastern Catholic church having Eucharistic adoration and benediction? That takes the cake! I wonder if his church is iconstatis and icon-free and wonder of the priest faces the people during their liturgy too?

Perhaps someone who is unbanned could find out more about his "Roman Catholic Church of the Byzantine Rite, Ruthenian Rite". God Bless.

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2002, 02:33:46 PM »

[I'd heard of and sadly seen Eastern Catholic Churches without iconstasises (like in Don of BC.com's church) but a Eastern Catholic church having Eucharistic adoration and benediction?]

There are also Orthodox Catholic churches without the Iconstasis.  Many within the Carpatho Russian Johnstown diocese.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2002, 02:41:01 PM »

Well since I have a new computer and IP I gave myself a new identity and got on again Cheesy Cheesy

One far wiser than me is now on 'Jeffery's'case - and has been totally upfront about himself.

Hopefully he will be able to post here and tell us what he thinks about this strange person who can say "<<I am a Roman Catholic of the Eastern Rite(Ruthenian). >>"

I will carry on watching and waiting Wink

- St. John Maximovitch
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2002, 03:31:47 PM »

Angela,

I unregistered a month or so ago.  I did not think I was banned but perhaps I am. I registered and tried to post...several times.  I am unable.  I'll try again but if you do post over there please tell them "Dan Lauffer believes Jeffery is not telling the forum the truth.  Either he or his Church is not Eastern at all."

Dan Lauffer
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2002, 03:44:37 PM »

[quote author=Orthodoc link=board=2;threadid=253;start=15#2512
Yes, I also visited an Orthodox church w/o the Iconostasis but I also wondered why the laity hasnt dont anything about it.   Is it because they may be unfamiliar with the tradition or does it really matter?  Anyway I personally love the Iconostasis and am always looking for differenct renditions of it in churches that I may visit.

JoeS

date=1038508426]
[I'd heard of and sadly seen Eastern Catholic Churches without iconstasises (like in Don of BC.com's church) but a Eastern Catholic church having Eucharistic adoration and benediction?]

There are also Orthodox Catholic churches without the Iconstasis.  Many within the Carpatho Russian Johnstown diocese.

Orthodoc
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2002, 05:58:17 PM »

Hmm, this character really perplexes me - having seen his reply to the suggestion of praying an Akathist I really wonder if he is Ruthenian - I have my doubts.

I don't propose to post there yet - just watch and see how it goes . At the moment I think if I said what I really think I would be banned in seconds flat. I think I would prefer to leave it all to someone who really knows the Liturgy and the Church practices - I don't at least not to defend myself - the only way you can get anywhere with these folk is by posting long cut'n paste jobs - those they appreciate but individual thought - no way .

Sorry Dan can't help you yet - try asking them why you can't post ??

- St. John Maximovitch
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2002, 07:37:16 PM »

My posts have appeared.  It shouldn't take Denise long to delete them, but we will see.  I asked Jeff to tell us what Church he has joined and whether or not his priest is bi-ritual.

Dan Lauffer
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2002, 08:05:35 PM »

I imagine they will be deleted quickly since you mentioned in one post that she's deleted your posts before, but maybe she's gone for the weekend and can't check the board yet? If so maybe you'll get a day or two repreive. God Bless!

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2002, 05:09:30 AM »

It's kind of ridiculous the time and energy we are spending on this guy. However he has now expanded his Profile to show that he is a Teacher and his interests are God , the Church and the Rosary [ can't remember the order he put them in] he also gives a location  - PA [ my geography is lousy so you can identify that better than me].

However , I have to congratulate him - he has answered Dan's question about his Church and Priest .

<<<St. Pius X Byzantine Catholic Church
with Msgr. Nicholas Smiceklas as the rector. >>>>

I have posted this in case Dan finds he is unable to get back on !!

Oh and as an interesting sidelight  on affairs there - both Mor and myself ,who were banned ,are listed as members with our original entry details !! Cheesy Cheesy

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2002, 08:46:14 AM »

Well, another Byzantine Catholic has entered the fray !!

I do not know how the Moderator of the Site is going to react Cheesy

Watch the Site - watch this space Wink

- St. John Maximovitch
bripat22

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2002, 09:42:22 AM »

Well since I have a new computer and IP I gave myself a new identity and got on again Cheesy Cheesy

Slave!!

Did you sign on as "Rose"??  If you did, you gave a wonderful and charitable reposte to "Jeffrey" to encourage him  to return to his Eastern Traditions.  I think he needs to attend a course at  ST Elias Parish in Brampton, Ontario!!!!!!!!!!!  (Maybe we can pay for it!!!)
       Also, the fact that the Akathist was where the Western Church developed the Litany of the Blessed Virgin was excellent too as so many ROman-rite Caths need to know about the Patrimony of the East and that all these devotions did NOT somehow appear in Rome circa 1550! Smiley)

Peace,
                                        Brian

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2002, 10:34:38 AM »

Not guilty of that post - honestly.

I was surprised to see it - and I think I can identify the poster. I think it is a wonderful post - hopefully with her and Lance 'Jeffrey' will see the light.

Does anyone know anything about the Parish or his priest ?

I mya be posting later today - it does depend on the reply to an e-mail I have sent  someone.  Wink

- St. John Maximovitch
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2002, 10:36:51 AM »

We would think so, but to an Eastern Catholic this isnt too far fetched.  I like to think of it as religious cross dressing.  We as Orthodox are troubled by it but it is quite normal to many Byz Catholics.  They must wonder why we make all this fuss.
JoeS

I'm not so sure Jeffrey is for real. He seems much too extreme with loving latinizations. I mean if he's into all of those Latin devotions he would probably go Latin and maybe join the SSPX.

In Christ,
Anthony
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2002, 10:54:16 AM »

Tony,

While some of the names of our BC Churches come by way of Latin influence, very few are, and none that I can find are named after a Pope.  I checked all of the Byzantine Ruthenian and all other Byzantine Churches in Pa. and no such Church name appears.  Also, whoever heard of a "Msgr."  in a BC Church or a "rector" for that matter.  

I suggested that someone must be pulling his leg about the nature of the Church he has joined.  I added that there is one alternative reason why you have posted but we will just let that set for now.

Dan Lauffer Roll Eyes
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2002, 10:57:36 AM »

Actually Anthony, there is one:

St. Pius X Byzantine Catholic Church
2336 Brownsville Road
Central South Hills
Pittsburgh, PA 15210
Phone: (412) 881-8344

And in looking at the Byzantine Archdiocese of Pittsburg site I see that there is such a protopresbyter of Pittsburgh named  Rev. Msgr. Nicholas Smiciklas!

So it appears this Jeffrey may very well be genuine.

Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2002, 11:07:09 AM »

Yes, you are correct.  I guess I just didn't want to see it.  Now I must go do some serious thinking here and of course I must apologize to Jeffrey.  Pray for me.

Dan Lauffer
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2002, 11:15:45 AM »

Dan,

That's understandable. Parishes like yours and St. Elias are the exception and not the norm, and when one is living within that reality, one doesn't want to see this heavily Latinized reality elsewhere within your Church. You have my prayers. God Bless!

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2002, 11:25:31 AM »

Dan,

Before the CCEO came out and forbid it, the various Monsignor grades were given to our clergy, but ACROD did the same thing until Metropolitan Nicholas took over.  As far as rector that is an office not title but it is the office hel by the head priest at the Seminary and the Cathedral.  We also have parishes named for the Infant of Prague and the Sacred Heart.

Yes, many of our people are like Jeff.  Very few of our parishes are like yours.  In fact probably only a handful are.   If you wish to be ordained for service in our Church you are going to have to come to terms with the fact that some of our parishes and parishioners make every criticism the Orthodox have valid.  It is our job to walk the long road of restoration, which, honestly, is only just beginning.

In Christ,
Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2002, 11:34:43 AM »

Ah well the Moderator has now entered the fray !
I quote:-
<<  Everyone please re-read the rules concerning what this Blessed Sacrament forum is for. NO DEBATES OR ARGUEMENTS HERE. I am supposed to delete anything here that does not fit, it says so in the rules.>>

She then suggested when asked to move the thread to the Forum which does allow debate, that she cannot ! But she is graciously allowing the offending thread to remain where it is at present. Obviously if there are any other posts which, to her eyes suggest ,debate or argument she will delete the complete thread.

BTW did anyone notice her post earlier on the Benediction Thread [ again Jeffrey's] about her own Church having a push button operated Tabernacle Huh?

Please can I come over to the East ??

- St. John Maximovitch
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2002, 11:44:19 AM »

I think Denise is suggesting moving it to their other forum where one can complain, but not complain too much, lest you be banned! LOL! So as you said, it is an impossible request almost!

I'm sure that any of the priests at these churches would be more than happy to receive you dear slave. Cheesy

BTW are you getting your iCal to work properly? God Bless!

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2002, 11:54:09 AM »

Nice try, Nicholas - nice try - but they are in England !!!!! and I ain't

BTW surely a Moderator can physically move a thread from one Forum to the other ?

iCal - well I'll leave it till I am full time on OS X - but the beast is doing very nicely - almost 5 hours of use on the battery !
« Last Edit: November 29, 2002, 11:57:14 AM by the slave » Logged

- St. John Maximovitch
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2002, 12:08:57 PM »

Oops, I just did the UK se4arch and failed to realize they were all in England proper. perhaps these links would be better then.

http://www.sourozh.org/

http://www.edinburgh-orthodox.org.uk/history.html

I also understand there to be a Serbian church in Scotland as well. God Bless!

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2002, 12:14:05 PM »

P.S. It looks like Lance's reply with corrections to their "Introduction to the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church" post was deleted.

bripat22

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2002, 01:42:19 PM »

<<  
BTW did anyone notice her post earlier on the Benediction Thread [ again Jeffrey's] about her own Church having a push button operated Tabernacle Huh?

Well, I have heard rumours of Electronic  Royal Doors Smiley))))

"The grasser is always greener.........."

Brian

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2002, 01:55:12 PM »

Actually Anthony, there is one:

St. Pius X Byzantine Catholic Church
2336 Brownsville Road
Central South Hills
Pittsburgh, PA 15210
Phone: (412) 881-8344

And in looking at the Byzantine Archdiocese of Pittsburg site I see that there is such a protopresbyter of Pittsburgh named  Rev. Msgr. Nicholas Smiciklas!

So it appears this Jeffrey may very well be genuine.

AFAIK, there are still monsignori in the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Passaic as well, e.g., Msgr. Raymond Misulich.  And then there's St. Therese Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic Church in St. Petersburg, FL.   Grin
Dan Lauffer
Athanasios

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2002, 04:43:26 PM »

I've posted a little article on the Issues forum over there. See what you think.

Dan Lauffer
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2002, 05:31:26 PM »

Dan,

Perhaps at the end of the 2 threads by Jeffery you should post a link to the other forum where the discussion continues, so people know where to go to continue the conversation. God Bless!

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2002, 06:00:54 PM »

Perhaps at the end of the 2 threads by Jeffery you should post a link to the other forum where the discussion continues, so people know where to go to continue the conversation.

But this isn't a Denise and David-approved Catholic reference site so doing that would get the post-er banned.

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2002, 06:01:06 PM »

Dan,
Ive read your post on the Catholic website and I will be looking in on what the responses will be.
JoeS

I've posted a little article on the Issues forum over there. See what you think.

Dan Lauffer
Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2002, 06:05:21 PM »

Serge, I meant a link in the posts on YC.com's "Forum of the B.S." to Dan's new thread on YC.com's "Forum of Catholic Issues of Concern". God Bless!

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: