Author Topic: Protomartyr Stephan: His witness  (Read 4191 times)

Offline IPC

• Elder
Protomartyr Stephan: His witness
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
Today in the Second Day of Christmas' celebrations, January 9th, the Church commemorates Protomartyr Stephan. He is called protomartyr, because he is the first martyr for Christ after His resurrection.
By the power of his faith, St Stephen worked great miracles among the people. Saint Stephen preached the teachings of Christ with great success, the wicked jews constantly disputed with him, but they were always defeated by the Word of God. The jews, as its their custom, maligned Saint Stephen with calumnies and slander, bringing false accusations, and incited the people and the elders against innocent St Stephen. They went to the Sanhedrin and the Cohen Agadol, taking with them false witnesses who confirmed the false accusations.

Saint Stephen humbly came before the Sanhedrin and the Cohen Agadol, and stood before the people, who saw his face illumined with the grace of God Acts 6:15 and delivered a speech in which he spoke about the good works and miracle of God done in the past for His people, as well as the crimes and opposition of the jews. He rebuked them for killing the prophets and specially for executing the Messiah (Christ) Jesus, calling them betrayers, and murderers Acts 7:52. And while they looked at him with demonic wrath, St Stephen had a divine revelation and that which he saw, he declared to the Jews: Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God! (Acts 7:56).The evil jews did not listen to him, and jumped over him, dragged him out of the city and stoned him to death. Among his persecutors was his kinsman Saul, who repented and was transformed into the Apostle Paul, by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Afar off on the heights of a rock stood the Most Holy Mother of God with the holy Apostle John the Theologian, and She prayed fervently for the martyr.

The body of the holy First-Martyr Stephen, was left by the jews for devouring by beasts, but it was secretly taken by prince Gamaliel, who buried him in his own land.

All this occurred one year after the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles.

Holy Protomartyr Stephan, pray to God for us, to that we may also witness the truth, expose the evil of evil doers, and become His martyrs and confessors, for our salvation, and the salvation of many. Amin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:07:18 PM by IPC »
THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Protomartyr Stephan: His witness
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
Though this doesn't look like a copy-and-paste job, this account is based largely on the account given by St. Nikolai Velimirovic in his Prologue of Ohrid, at some points starting from the text of the Prologue and merely rewording what the saint said, and at others even copying St. Nikolai's words verbatim.  I think, therefore, that credit needs to be given to the source and that it's not good for IPC to pass off the text of his post as nothing more than his own original work.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:25:21 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:19:52 AM »
Holy Protomartyr Stephan, pray to God for us all.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:23:37 AM »
I like how IPC was kind enough to spell the name of Stephen/Stephan two different ways, so as not to be discriminatory  ;D

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Today in the Second Day of Christmas' celebrations, January 9th, the Church commemorates Protomartyr Stephan. He is called protomartyr, because he is the first martyr for Christ after His resurrection.
By the power of his faith, St Stephen worked great miracles among the people. Saint Stephen preached the teachings of Christ with great success, the wicked jews constantly disputed with him, but they were always defeated by the Word of God. The jews, as its their custom, maligned Saint Stephen with calumnies and slander, bringing false accusations, and incited the people and the elders against innocent St Stephen. They went to the Sanhedrin and the Cohen Agadol, taking with them false witnesses who confirmed the false accusations.

Saint Stephen humbly came before the Sanhedrin and the Cohen Agadol, and stood before the people, who saw his face illumined with the grace of God Acts 6:15 and delivered a speech in which he spoke about the good works and miracle of God done in the past for His people, as well as the crimes and opposition of the jews. He rebuked them for killing the prophets and specially for executing the Messiah (Christ) Jesus, calling them betrayers, and murderers Acts 7:52. And while they looked at him with demonic wrath, St Stephen had a divine revelation and that which he saw, he declared to the Jews: Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God! (Acts 7:56).The evil jews did not listen to him, and jumped over him, dragged him out of the city and stoned him to death. Among his persecutors was his kinsman Saul, who repented and was transformed into the Apostle Paul, by our Lord Jesus Christ.

Afar off on the heights of a rock stood the Most Holy Mother of God with the holy Apostle John the Theologian, and She prayed fervently for the martyr.

The body of the holy First-Martyr Stephen, was left by the jews for devouring by beasts, but it was secretly taken by prince Gamaliel,

A Jew, btw.

who buried him in his own land.

All this occurred one year after the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles.

Holy Protomartyr Stephan, pray to God for us, to that we may also witness the truth, expose the evil of evil doers, and become His martyrs and confessors, for our salvation, and the salvation of many. Amin
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:07:38 AM »
I like how IPC was kind enough to spell the name of Stephen/Stephan two different ways, so as not to be discriminatory  ;D

Oh, I thought it was spelled with an *a* - Stephanos? Although I think it's more *English* to spell it with an *e*. Why am I rabbiting on?  :laugh:
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 03:33:39 AM »
What about Steven?  Is that an entirely different name?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:34:02 AM by Alveus Lacuna »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:46 AM »
What about Steven?  Is that an entirely different name?

No. It is an English variant. Others, from various cultures include Stevan, Stephan, Stepan, Stefan and Stephane.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline IPC

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:07 PM »
 :D yes, I spelled it differently, because I was translating simultanously, and adding what I recalled by heart. oops! sorry

Peter, what I posted is a mix, from what I recalled from the Bible, and the transcript of the commented readings from the menologion, read to us in the trapeza. Maybe part of it was taken from some works of Fr Nikolai Velimirovich, frankly, I don't know, I just have the text in the photocopies, its a copy of a forbidden lose document typed by a true orthodox monk-priest.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:52:22 PM by IPC »

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

Today in the Second Day of Christmas' celebrations, January 9th, the Church commemorates Protomartyr Stephan.

That is interesting because in the Churches of the Orthodox world, the Second Day of Christmas (Nativity) is dedicated to the Mother of God and it is the Third Day of Christmas which is dedicated to Saint Stephen.

But of course throughout the Roman Catholic world you would be correct and it is the Second Day which is Saint Stephen's day.   I dion't suppose that the Zarist Chruch is some sort of Church United with Rome and keeps the Roman Catholic Calendar?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:56:49 AM by Irish Hermit »

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:58 AM »
Oooohhh snap!

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 02:25:49 AM »

Today in the Second Day of Christmas' celebrations, January 9th, the Church commemorates Protomartyr Stephan.

That is interesting because in the Churches of the Orthodox world, the Second Day of Christmas (Nativity) is dedicated to the Mother of God and it is the Third Day of Christmas which is dedicated to Saint Stephen.

But of course throughout the Roman Catholic world you would be correct and it is the Second Day which is Saint Stephen's day.   I dion't suppose that the Zarist Chruch is some sort of Church United with Rome and keeps the Roman Catholic Calendar?

Oh, oh - point to Irish Hermit?

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »

Oh, oh - point to Irish Hermit?

Well, it would make sense of why IPC is so dead keen to conceal the name of his bishop.  And one of the oldsters here who apparently knows it says that we would pour scorn on him if we knew.....  the thlot pickens!   :laugh:

Offline John of the North

• Protokentarchos
  • Christ is Risen!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 03:16:30 AM »
Cue dramatic music...

“Find the door of your heart, and you will discover it is the door to the kingdom of God.” - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:35 AM »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 03:57:34 AM »
  the thlot pickens!   :laugh:

Or, the thicken plots;D
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:26 AM »

I was wondering about that too, as he praises Justin's Church program: has he read the part of that program, the Formula of Hormisdas, one of the earliest Ultramontanist tracts?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 06:35:36 AM »
Are you going to post one about someone killed by those dirty Monophysites now?  ;)

Offline Marc1152

• Hoplitarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
Are you going to post one about someone killed by those dirty Monophysites now?  ;)

Hey ! What do you think this is? The Spanish Inquisition??

Uh oh ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSe38dzJYkY
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline deusveritasest

• Taxiarches
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
Well, he was talking about the "Monophysites" unleashing severe persecutions against the EO. And he said that he got it from the Menologion. So I'm waiting to see who exactly it is that was martyred.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:17:19 PM by deusveritasest »

Offline IPC

• Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 08:35:12 PM »
Ukiemeister  :D That was hilarious.

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
:D yes, I spelled it differently, because I was translating simultanously, and adding what I recalled by heart. oops! sorry

Peter, what I posted is a mix, from what I recalled from the Bible, and the transcript of the commented readings from the menologion, read to us in the trapeza. Maybe part of it was taken from some works of Fr Nikolai Velimirovich, frankly, I don't know, I just have the text in the photocopies, its a copy of a forbidden lose document typed by a true orthodox monk-priest.

"I just have the text in the photocopies, its a copy of a forbidden lose document"

Whoa! IPC has a copy of Barack Obama’s real birth certificate!  ;)

Offline IPC

• Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
 :D Ms.Horrah!

Religious works from the Russian True-Orthodox Church were strictly forbidden in the former USSR, we were forbidden to speak and write about religion, the government officials could irrupt into anyone's home, and search in every single place, and if they found any religious book, they would take it, and take us by force to concentration camps (gulags), to "psychiatric hospitals", or to any other prison. Besides being punished, they would include a report in our official identification document (passport, carnet) something similar to a Social Security Number historial.   

Censorship and religious persecution still exists in Russia, and other territories of the former USSR, but it's not so obvious, because of the partial (and feigned I must add) political (glasnost) and economical (perestroika) openess. They want to be seen as the "good guys" by the international community, so they can expand their power and influence.

We have applied countless times to register and have open temples in centric and good zones of Moscow, St Petersburg, Irkusk, Vladivostok, and other places all over Russia, but the government denies us that right, and uses the contact information to track us down and punish us, specially those who "dared" to claim their right of religious freedom, and establish wherever they want.

Sometimes they have given us the registre for old temples in ruins, which we rebuilt, and then we're finished, the government takes them from us, and gives them to its state church.

Now you know why our publications are forbidden, and they were handed down by typed, or hand written lose sheets.