OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:17:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Poll
Question: How are you related to the Priests?
I am a Priest - 5 (12.8%)
I am going to be a Priest - 1 (2.6%)
I'm considering becoming a Priest - 4 (10.3%)
I've got a Priest in my close family - 6 (15.4%)
I've got a Priest in the further branch of my family - 7 (17.9%)
I haven't got any Priests in my family - 16 (41%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Priests around us  (Read 2435 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« on: January 09, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »

Browsing the forum I've been getting more and more curious about Priests on the board. Please vote in the poll and elaborate a bit.

So I'm not a Priest Wink and am not planning to be a Priest. My mother's brother is a Priest and my mother's cousin's husband is a Deacon and a godfather of me. I also have a few Priests in the further family.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:47:15 PM by mike » Logged

no longer posting here
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

I don't have an Orthodox priest in my family, and I'm not priestly material (besides, they'd probably first insist that I go to Church and be Orthodox for a few months in a row or something silly like that  Tongue). And fwiw, if it means anything, I don't have clergy of other Christian groups in my family either. I guess the Kissels are just doomed to be lay people.  Wink
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

Neither I nor anyone in my family is a priest.

Maybe the closest relation to an Orthodox clergyman that I could claim is this. My late father-in-law (Lesya's father) as a young boy grew up in Eastern Poland, near Chelm, an area very densely populated at that time by Orthodox Ukrainians. At that time, the Ukrainian Orthodox Bishop of Chelm called Vladyka +HILARION (Ohienko) (UAOC) was his patron and something like a mentor. It was in the late 1930-s and early 1940-s.

I am very fascinated by this fact because Vl. +HILARION (professor Ivan Ohienko) is now known as the author of maybe the best translation of the Bible into Ukrainian. It's a shame I only learned about the friendship between my father-in-law and Vladyka Hilarion when my father-in-law was already dead (+1995). Lesya and I just accidentally discovered a book given as a gift from Vl. Hilarion to Lesya's dad in ~1940, with an inscription containing some very nice, warm words.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:03:09 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:21:48 PM »

I have two protestant pastors as brother-in-laws. But I voted "I haven't got any priests in my family" because they are not priests.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

I don't have any priests in my family.

I have, however, considered the priesthood (and the diaconate) and am still thinking about it.  The thing I have to consider most is my wife, who is not Orthodox, although she has expressed interest.  I really can't do much about ordination until she joins the Church, so, for the time being, it's rattling around in my head.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:02:34 AM »

One of my cousins was married to a son of an Orthodox Priest, who is now deceased.

Even though I could have voted "I haven't got any Priests in my family" which is true today, I still consider the deceased Priest as part of my family and voted as such.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:22:41 PM »

My aunt's brother is a Roman Catholic priest, and his parish was located in Macau.  He has since retired as a parish priest, and is now living in Portugal.  Other than that, my family is priestless.  Smiley

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »

I am a priest, and within 4 degrees of relationship (1 degree is child-parent, parent-child, child-godparent, and spouse-spouse; 2 degrees is child-parent-grandparent, child-sibling {because it goes child-parent-child}, etc.) I have 5 priests in my family (incl. my wife's family).  Within 7 degrees I have an additional 2-4 priests (I'm not exactly sure).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »

I am a priest, and within 4 degrees of relationship (1 degree is child-parent, parent-child, child-godparent, and spouse-spouse; 2 degrees is child-parent-grandparent, child-sibling {because it goes child-parent-child}, etc.) I have 5 priests in my family (incl. my wife's family).  Within 7 degrees I have an additional 2-4 priests (I'm not exactly sure).
In Poland we have some similar Priest's clans.

no longer posting here
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »

I'm the first person in my family to convert to Orthodoxy, so no priests anywhere in my family.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 12:02:32 AM »

A first cousin who's a priest and archimandrite.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:14:02 AM »

My father was an Orthodox priest for almost 66 years, my brother is an active Orthodox priest and my late Godfather was an Orthodox priest for 53 years. Five of my childhood friends from our parish became priests and one of them will become a Bishop next year.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:51 AM »

No priests but my grandfather was a chanter and his brother went back to Syria and became a hermit.
I don't know if he was tonsured a monk but my grandfather told my dad that his uncle had become a holy
man that many people came to for advice.

GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »

No priests but my grandfather was a chanter and his brother went back to Syria and became a hermit.
I don't know if he was tonsured a monk but my grandfather told my dad that his uncle had become a holy
man that many people came to for advice.

That's really cool!
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 03:47:48 AM »

I suppose part of the reason I am a priest is because my Great-Grandfather was a monk in a monastery who ran off with a local girl, and now I must be fulfilling part of his vow.   Undecided

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:12:57 AM »

My grand-grand-grandparent was. He got hanged by the Turks for sneaking some from Minor Asia to Greece.
I've considered becoming a priest. Chances are that I won't though. I'll keep on preaching as a layman.

I suppose part of the reason I am a priest is because my Great-Grandfather was a monk in a monastery who ran off with a local girl, and now I must be fulfilling part of his vow.   Undecided
That sounds so nice, hah. Wink

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »

My godson is a priest.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »

While I have no Orthodox clergy in my family, on my mother's side I have an Uncle that was a Catholic missionary priest (May his memory be eternal!) and an aunt that was a Franciscan nun (may her memory be eternal!) On my father's side I have an aunt that was a Poor Claire nun (may her memory be eternal!) 

The story of my Uncle Norm intrigues me because he went to Africa as part of his missionary work. Unfortunately he died when I was a young child, so I never really got to know him, but I do remember his funeral.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »

There were some priests in my family by mid eighteenth century, during the episcopate of Sinesie Jivanovici of Arad (1751-1768). Still have a relative (father's cousin of sorts) who is a priest.
Bishop Paul Andrew

Jurisdiction: American Orthodox Catholic Church/ Holy Synod of North and South America.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »

Though my family is Baptist I am the only one in my family to convert to Orthodoxy and to become a Priest. I have been the Priesthood for 14 years and now a Bishop.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: