OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:59:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Confused ROCOR  (Read 2514 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« on: January 09, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

There is a ROCOR mission in my town when you click on the link to the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia you get this website http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/english/   
When you click on the link to the parish church of the priest and go to the link that says Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia you get this website http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/indexeng.htm    Are these the same Churches if not how can a priest from one be the pastor of a mission from the other?

In Our Lord

David

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »

I'm certainly no expert in these matters, either jurisdictional or technical, but I think the upper link is just an older version of the lower one. If you open the upper one, click on "Russian version", then from there click on "English version", you get the lower link.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »

I think genesisone is correct. The website at the first link doesn't seem to have been updated since 2006.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:12:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

I think genesisone is correct. The website at the first link doesn't seem to have been updated since 2006.

This is correct.  Both websites are from the same ROCOR.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »

Thank you everybody that deffiniatly makes sense. Smiley

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »

Yeah, the first website still has Metropolitan Laurus of blessed memory listed as First Hierarch. Perhaps they just keep the old site up for archival purposes?
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:32 AM »

The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is the same in both websites.  The second one is the current and most up to date site. The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is now also part of the the Russian Orthodox Patriarchate.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »

There is a ROCOR mission in my town...

The priest from my parish serves liturgy there occasionally.  They don't have a permanent priest; one drives into town every once and a while.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:35 AM »

In NY if the parish is without a priest, one will likely drive there from Jordanville Holy Trinity Monastery to give weekend services. Even in the snow, they drive to Buffalo. May God protect them!!!!!. 
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:41 PM »

The priest from my parish serves liturgy there occasionally.

Why they are trying to uphold a ROCOR mission while there is already a Serbian parish?

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

The priest from my parish serves liturgy there occasionally.  They don't have a permanent priest; one drives into town every once and a while.

So they do have the Divine Liturgy? 

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »

Why they are trying to uphold a ROCOR mission while there is already a Serbian parish?

You'd have to ask them.  There are already three Serbian parishes with priests in the city, as well as two Greek parishes with priests, one OCA parish with two priests, and one Antiochian parish with a priest.  This is what it's like in the United States.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:25:55 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 03:27:15 PM »

Not usually.  Just reader's services.  If you're looking for ROCOR type traditional practices (old calendar, headscarves, segregated sexes) but services in English, then just come to my parish.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »

what are the two other serbian orthodox churches?

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »

Not usually.  Just reader's services.  If you're looking for ROCOR type traditional practices (old calendar, headscarves, segregated sexes) but services in English, then just come to my parish.

I keep trying one day I will... for some reason I thought you used the new calander Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 03:35:02 PM »

what are the two other Serbian orthodox churches?

St. George's and Archangel Michael's.  Both are in Kansas City, Kansas, and have a stronger "ethnic" character to them.

I keep trying one day I will... for some reason I thought you used the new calendar Smiley

No Serbian Orthodox churches are on the new calendar.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:36:18 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:53 PM »

St. George's and Archangel Michael's.  Both are in Kansas City, Kansas, and have a stronger "ethnic" character to them.

I keep trying one day I will... for some reason I thought you used the new calendar Smiley

thats good

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »

thats good

Actually, I don't think that the calendar is an issue at all.  I prefer the Revised-Julian Calendar because I hate celebrating Christmas almost two weeks after everybody else.  Also, it's much less confusing figuring out what saints are commemorated on what days.  I don't go to my parish because I'm some die-in-the-wool Old Calendarist, but rather because it is where God naturally led me to by his own gracious will.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »

I don't mind either one but I think that celebrating Christmas later really brings out the true meaning of Christmas

wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:16:37 AM »

I don't mind either one but I think that celebrating Christmas later really brings out the true meaning of Christmas

What about in historically Orthodox countries where using the old calendar is the norm?
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

While I don't think that Christmas is nearly as commercialized as it is here in the United States at least  I would hope not all of the world is like us

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »

While I don't think that Christmas is nearly as commercialized as it is here in the United States at least  I would hope not all of the world is like us

What's problem with Christmas' commercialization? Why does it bother people? Yes, it's a shame that people start the celebration too early i.e. during the fast and before the actual feast and it's also shame that many people concentrate on Santa Claus instead of Christ. Still I find it hard to understand why the commercialized Christmas seems to bother people so overwhelmingly much. Shouldn't we concentrate more on our own spiritual lives and less to the oversight of others? After all nobody forces anyone to buy anything. At least people are celebrating a Christian feast in a some way.

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

The reason I have a problem with the commercialization of Christmas is mainly that the start during the fast and that it makes it hard to properly prepare yourself for the Holy season that and the emphisis on Santa and gifts not Christ .

Pray for me

David

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »

After all nobody forces anyone to buy anything. At least people are celebrating a Christian feast in a some way.

Isn't that somewhat like saying "at least when I get beat I am getting some attention"?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tags: ROCOR 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: