OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Origin of greetings and responses?  (Read 546 times) Average Rating: 0
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: January 07, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »

Can anyone tell me more about how we came to have the greetings with their responses? I'm thinking of Christ is risen!/He is risen indeed!; Christ is born!/Glorify Him!; Christ is baptized!/In the Jordan!; Christ is ascended!/From earth to heaven! (realizing that all have their variations of course).
This question comes about as my priest and I were discussing what appears to be a relative weakness of the Theophany greeting.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »

As I understand it, only the Paschal Greeting is universal.

The Slavs have developed the numerous other ones (I was once approached in seminary by a fellow seminarian's wife who was a walking dictionary of all these sorts of things, and when she greeted me with "Christ is Circumcized!" I responded with "ouch" not knowing what to say in the face of her enthusiasm.  She was a bit disappointed with me I'm afraid).

The Greeks tend more towards "Kalo ___________"  for the various feasts and church-related events, or at least that's what our local hellenophile tells me.  When approached, I generally smile and nod and prepare for a brief Greek language lesson, during which I slip into a fond memory of a Greek beach and utterly lose out on important knowledge.

Frankly, I could care less about such conventions, mostly because keeping or not keeping them is less important than being kind.  Sometimes these kinds of things tend to make others feel rather alienated when they don't know how to respond.  I do know a priest who like to show off at Pascha with Paschal Greetings in languages that those he greets are certain to have no knowledge of.  In my heart, my general response is not fit to print, but I usually do not respond because he is not greeting me... but himself.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: