OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:44:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should threads discussing an individual forum memeber be allowed?
yes, but only in the context of the prayer forum - 9 (45%)
no, if individuals have a disagreement they should discuss it via PM - 2 (10%)
no, if an individuals behavior is disruptive or rude a mod should PM them about it - 4 (20%)
yes, all such threads should be allowed - let people be accountable for their actions - 5 (25%)
no, if anyone starts a non-prayer personal thread, they should be punished - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Threads specific to individual forum members  (Read 6885 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: January 07, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »

Roll Eyes

Proverbs 22:7
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »

Gossiping is a sin.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

Tallitot, since you're talking about what should be allowed/not allowed here, have you taken your concerns up privately with the admins?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »

Roll Eyes

I have never liked to see the names of individuals featured in the Subject line if the purpose is not to praise but to have a slash at the person.  Shocked

I have just been subjected to this kind of arbitrary judgement myself in the thread "In Defence of IPC Against Irish Hermit's Unwarranted Criticism"

You'll notice at once that the Subject Line already convicts me of "Unwarranted Criticism".  It takes it to be a fact that I am guilty. The person who created the Subject Line made himself judge and jury and convicted me, in advance of any discussion.  I found this very unjust and was surprised that it occured.  Roll Eyes

But, as I say, if the purpose of the thread is to offer someone praise I don't see an objection to having the name in the Title.  Kiss
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:59:29 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:59:19 PM »

Roll Eyes

I have never liked to see the names of individuals featured in the Subject line if the purpose is not to praise but to have a slash at the person.

I have just been subjected to this kind of arbitrary judgement myself in the thread "In Defence of IPC Against Irish Hermit's Unwarranted Criticism"

You'll notice at once that the Subject Line already convicts me of "Unwarranted Criticism".  It takes it to be a fact that I am guilty. The person who created the Subject Line made himself judge and jury and convicted me, in advance of any discussion.  I found this very unjust and was surprised that it occured.

But, as I say, if the purpose of the thread is to offer someone praise I don't see an objection to having the name in the Title.
While you and I most certainly have had our disagreements Fr. Ambrose, I have to say that I agree and that it was very unfair that this was done to you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:59:32 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »

But, as I say, if the purpose of the thread is to offer someone praise I don't see an objection to having the name in the Title.  Kiss
I dunno. I think being flattered is worse than being insulted. Certainly worse for my soul.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

I don't have an issue with it. But then, I've participated at forums where "calling out..." threads were a perfectly normal part of the forum life, so maybe I'm just used to it.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:44:43 PM »

I dunno. I think being flattered is worse than being insulted. Certainly worse for my soul.

The Forum has the "Post of the Month" which picks out the members who have contributed outstanding posts.

Here is December 2009

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25249.0.html
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

The Forum has the "Post of the Month" which picks out the members who have contributed outstanding posts.

Here is December 2009

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:23 PM »

Wink One of my favorite poems (by Paul Laurence Dunbar) ends with these lines...

Mere human strength may stand ill-fortune’s frown;
So I prevailed, for human strength was mine;
But from the killing pow’r of great renown,
Naught may protect me save a strength divine.
Help me, O Lord, in this my trembling cause;
I scorn men’s curses, but I dread applause!

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »

Here is December 2009

Do you think that the "Post of the Month" is dangerous for the recipients' souls?  I dunno, I see it is a nice way to acknowledge people who have made good and positive contributions to the Forum.  Have you ever been nominated?
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »

Voted hold one accountable for their postings, although at times common sense is thrown to the wayside...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »

Thank you, Fr. Ambrose, for continuing to post on this forum when you must frequently defend yourself, the Church, and Her Hierarchs from OCnet bullies. Thank you for sharing your knowledge of all aspects of our Church.  Many benefit from your willingness to use your time and post your knowledge. May God continue to assist all of your works for Him.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »

Here is December 2009

Do you think that the "Post of the Month" is dangerous for the recipients' souls?  I dunno, I see it is a nice way to acknowledge people who have made good and positive contributions to the Forum.  Have you ever been nominated?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »

Do you think that the "Post of the Month" is dangerous for the recipients' souls?  I dunno, I see it is a nice way to acknowledge people who have made good and positive contributions to the Forum.  Have you ever been nominated?

We receive, on average, 5-10 nominations per month for the honor, with a few people receiving multiple nominations (and selections).  However, I don't think it would be good to discuss who has and has not been nominated, either here or elsewhere on the site - I don't think we need "καὶ μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν" directed at us for building anyone's pride, or for leaving someone out.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:24:05 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »

10 Posts with Fr Anastasios' name in the Subject Line

8 for ozgeorge

5 for Irish Hermit/Father Ambrose
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »

Voted hold one accountable for their postings, although at times common sense is thrown to the wayside...
I couldn't vote at all because there are many threads (for instance in the Converts section) where people start threads about issues they are struggling with. People grow and change after they say certain things, so I don't think they should be "held accountable" for what they say as though they haven't changed, though I do think that we will be held accountable at the Great Audit for every idle word, so its best not to say things we wouldn't say in real life.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »

8 for ozgeorge

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »

8 for ozgeorge

Did you observe any appreciable damage to your soul from the 8 threads dedicated to you?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »

8 for ozgeorge

Did you observe any appreciable damage to your soul from the 8 threads dedicated to you?

IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »

This forum is operated by it's owners, administrators, and moderators, who are the only authority in this forum. They alone decide what is done, and what is not done. The fact that they listen to us and are friendly, does mean we can tell them what to do.

This thread is insolent and offensive, in my opinion, constitutes an open violation to the rules in this forum, which clearly tell us to respect them, and express all our disagreements with them in private.

How much money to we put to keep this site open? How much work do we do to design this site and keep running correctly? How much time to we spend carefully reviewing legal aspects, and watching over individuals so they don't incur in any violation that can result in lots of trouble for this site, and the posters?

We do nothing but log in, post, and leave. So, if we are not going to help them do they work, at least, we should let them do their work as they please, after all, its their site, we're just guests.

I will not answer this insolent, and rude poll.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:37:34 PM by IPC » Logged

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »

8 for ozgeorge

I get flattered a lot of the time, far more than I am growled at.  It's a vocational hazard for clergy!  Smiley   Being somewhat used to it by now it does not faze me because, I think, I am pretty much aware of the true state of my soul and the limits of my capabilities.  After all, true humility is not to adopt false self-abasement but to be aware of your reality.    So I know how the praise is due to the action and grace of our Lord, not my efforts.   And that is something I always speak about to someone who praises me.  Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da gloriam.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:38:29 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:01 PM »

I get flattered a lot of the time, far more than I am growled at.  
I get growled at more than I'm flattered. Thank God I have so many I can call true friends who know me well.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »

I get growled at more than I'm flattered. Thank God I have so many I can call true friends who know me well.

I cannnot believe that, George.  You and I have had really serious disagreements on the Forum, both over personal points of strife and over moral matters, but all the way through I have offered to God praise for you, for your great love of the Church and your unfailing defence of it, and for the obvious love in your heart.  Be flattered to know that someone sees some of the good and strong points in your soul and loves you for them.  ~~ Of course if we were sharing a tinny from the esky right now I would still have to pull out my shillelagh and give you a pounding over one or two things.   laugh
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 11:58:36 PM »

I cannnot believe that, George.  You and I have had really serious disagreements on the Forum, both over personal points of strife and over moral matters, but all the way through I have offered to God praise for you, for your great love of the Church and your unfailing defence of it, and for the obvious love in your heart.  Be flattered to know that someone sees some of the good and strong points in your soul and loves you for them.  ~~ Of course if we were sharing a tinny from the esky right now I would still have to pull out my shillelagh and give you a pounding over one or two things.   laugh
I am like a dog. If you smack me with a rolled up newspaper you do me some good, if you pull on my choke chain to restrain me you do me some good. If you give me a treat you do me some good. But if you lavish attention on me and keep saying "good boy", I don't understand what you are saying and I don't learn how to behave.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 01:25:50 AM »

I cannnot believe that, George.  You and I have had really serious disagreements on the Forum, both over personal points of strife and over moral matters, but all the way through I have offered to God praise for you, for your great love of the Church and your unfailing defence of it, and for the obvious love in your heart.  Be flattered to know that someone sees some of the good and strong points in your soul and loves you for them.  ~~ Of course if we were sharing a tinny from the esky right now I would still have to pull out my shillelagh and give you a pounding over one or two things.   laugh
I am like a dog. If you smack me with a rolled up newspaper you do me some good, if you pull on my choke chain to restrain me you do me some good. If you give me a treat you do me some good. But if you lavish attention on me and keep saying "good boy", I don't understand what you are saying and I don't learn how to behave.

I used to have a wonderful essay written on the qualities of humble Athonite monks, written by the Abbot of Stavronikita.   Must be 30 years ago, and I think it was called "Dying and Behold We Live" and he mentions monks such as you describe yourself.   I wish I could find that essay again, and will do an Internet search later tonight, hoping that it has been placed on the Net.   In the meantime I must do my Nativity duty -it's the second day of Christmas for us Palaeohiemerologhites- and go off for another festive meal!    Grin
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:49:09 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
IPC
Elder

Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RZC

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:29:49 AM »

Irish Hermit, if you have a problem with anyone, or anything, deal with, and stop making trouble.

When your aggressive violent actions fail, you resource to sweet talk, playing the victim or pose as a pious, learned elder.

It doesn't impress us that you wrote wonderful things in essays, everyone can do that, judging from your actions, you are a reprobate, in your deeds we read the opposite of what you said you wrote about.

You're not fooling anyone, specially not me. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:38:02 AM by IPC » Logged

THIS USER USED THE SCREEN NAME PRAVOSLAV09 BEFORE.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 01:42:26 AM »

Irish Hermit, if you have a problem with anyone, or anything, deal with, and stop making trouble.

When your aggressive violent actions fail, you resource to sweet talk, and playing the victim.

It doesn't impress us that you wrote wonderful things in essays, everyone can do that, judging from your actions, you are a reprobate, in your deeds we read the opposite of the wonderful virtues you wrote about.

Get a life, IPC,  I am tired of your accusation that my Metropolitan Hilarion is an accessory to murder, tired of your accusation that the blessings of my beloved Patriarch Pavle are curses, tired of the diatribes you put out against Patriarch Kirill and really, against the entire holy Orthodox Church. 

I am aware that there is also good in you.  You have a strength and a fierce rigidity like an Old Testament prophet but at the moment it is focused on the wrong issues and it is excessive and driven not by love but by fear and negativity.   But God will love you and work on you and in His own good time you will, like all of us we hope, be acceptable.  I pray that one day we shall be in the Church and able to commune together.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:57 AM »

When your aggressive violent actions fail, you resource to sweet talk, playing the victim or pose as a pious, learned elder.

It doesn't impress us that you wrote wonderful things in essays, everyone can do that, judging from your actions, you are a reprobate, in your deeds we read the opposite of what you said you wrote about.

IPC, part of your problem on the Forum may be that you skim messages quickly and then reply in anger to things which the other person has not said.   I did not "pose as a wise elder" nor did I claim to "write wonderful things in essays."   I said very clearly that the essay was written by the Abbot of Stavronikita.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 01:51:17 AM »

judging from your actions, you are a reprobate, in your deeds we read the opposite of what you said you wrote about.
Everything you say here is true of me. And I am worse than you say. Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me the sinner. Please pray for me good friend.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 01:53:54 AM »

at the moment it is focused on the wrong issues and it is excessive and driven not by love but by fear and negativity.
Everything you say here is true of me. And I am worse than you say. Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me the sinner. Please pray for me good friend.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:04 AM »

What exactly are you trying to say, George?  Tongue

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 02:10:04 AM »

Wow! You are really unbelievable. You are the one who is not fooling anyone. Your anger just leaps off the screen, along with your judgments against an Orthodox priest.  Shocked Angry
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »

Wow! You are really unbelievable. You are the one who is not fooling anyone. Your anger just leaps off the screen, along with your judgments against an Orthodox priest.  Shocked Angry

Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 02:13:18 AM »

Take some Pepto Bismal. Should help with the pious hiccups.   Tongue
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »

Take some Pepto Bismal. Should help with the pious hiccups.   Tongue
There is no piety in me, hence nothing to cure. I am the worst of all sinners, and everyone except me shall be saved. Please pray for me.

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22:46 AM »

Methinks IPC the pot is calling Irish Hermit the kettle black.

When your aggressive violent actions fail, you resource to sweet talk, and playing the victim.

IPC, you are not above pandering to the moderators with sweet talk when cornered.

It doesn't impress us that you wrote wonderful things in essays, everyone can do that, judging from your actions, you are a reprobate, in your deeds we read the opposite of the wonderful virtues you wrote about.

IPC is quick to judge, and judge harshly, and to make outrageous and unproven allegations against individual clergy and the Russian Church as a whole, including frequent ad hominem remarks such as the one rendered in bold. Yet, Irish Hermit continues to fend off slur after slur on his person, his clerical rank, and his Church with dignity and a loving spirit, correction without judgement or rancor. Are these the actions of a reprobate? Let readers decide for themselves.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 02:27:50 AM »

Fighting fire with fire only works if one is backburning scrub to remove fuel for the fire. Otherwise one just helps the fire.

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »

Irish hermit is super calm and patient which is cool.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 02:37:56 AM »

LOL.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:44:39 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 04:13:32 AM »

If anyone's a Living Saint, it's Father Ambrose [Irish Hermit ] For sure ...
You Have My support ,,,Keep up the Good Fight .... Oce Blagoslovi.... laugh

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:15 AM »

There is no piety in me, hence nothing to cure. I am the worst of all sinners, and everyone except me shall be saved.

As we would all know from the lives of the Saints the only people who can say this with honesty and credibility are saints highly evolved on the path of theosis.  And so.... George....  Tongue
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 06:04:34 AM »

"
There is no piety in me, hence nothing to cure. I am the worst of all sinners, and everyone except me shall be saved.

As we would all know from the lives of the Saints the only people who can say this with honesty and credibility are saints highly evolved on the path of theosis.  And so.... George....  Tongue
"

Thats a bit like the conundrum in Monty Python's The Life of Brian:

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:50 AM »

"

"

Thats a bit like the conundrum in Monty Python's The Life of Brian:

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!

Even for me with my brain nicely honed with three glasses of Gewurztraminer, this thread is getting a little odd.   laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: