OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 09:42:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: December 2009 Post of the Month!  (Read 1789 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: January 07, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »

(Dateline OC.net Palace) After failing to awaken Fr. Chris from his Vasilopita-induced hibernation, the Global Moderators proceeded to break into his secure cardboard-and-tissue-paper Post of the Month Ballot box.  And having seen the results, they raced out onto the balcony of the brewpub/bowling alley/bread factory/palace to announce the winner.  However, upon exiting the door, Fr. George slipped toward the balcony, and was only saved by Veniamin's quick reflexes.  So, while holding his fellow Global Mod by the arm to keep him from falling, and holding the winning post in the other hand, he declared to the ice-covered and Alberta-clipped masses:

"Today we are pleased to announce that our Post-of-the-Month honoree for December 2009 is Minasoliman, for the following post:

I never knew that in the Orthodox Church it was dogmatically declared that we should proclaim loud and proud "Atheists are fools."  We're not evangelical fundamentalists going around and throwing stones.  I don't understand what is that possesses people to throw insults.  Yes, "fool" is an insult.  Does God therefore insult?  Absolutely, and He has every right to do so, because that is part of His chastisement.  He also can swear, He also take away lives.  But He didn't ask you to do His job for Him.

What is the man who doesn't believe in God?  Is it just atheists?  God didn't say atheists are fools, God said those who don't believe in God.  Have you ever asked yourself if you truly believe in God, if you loved Him with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, all your strength?  Are you a perfect and righteous person?  Indeed, the Psalms say in the very beginning, "Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous."  Are you therefore "Godly" and "a non-sinner?"  Because if you are, then truly as Christ said, "He who is without sin, may cast the first stone."  Are you "brothers" without sin?  Do you have a right to stand in the judgment seat with God and profess things like that?  Even St. Paul, who is righteous and perfect in the eyes of many, in his life of struggle and compassion for the Church, in his Apostolic authority, he who had the right to loose and bind sins of those who confessed to him, who has the power to excommunicate, he did not teach people to condemn, but rather by example to others, called himself, called himself, NOT others, HIMSELF a "fool for Christ," while calling the Corinthians, the same Corinthians who committed sins that are unheard of that displeased him, "kings, wise, strong."  "Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat."  This is not to shame them, but to warn them because they were "puffed up."  He asked them therefore, to "imitate him."  Be a fool.

How dare any of us here have an authoritative spiritual position to call someone a fool?  The only ones who you should be calling fools are yourselves.  The authority was not given to you to call someone a fool, but to those ordained by Christ to loose and bind.  As for you, you were to forgive seventy-seven times seven, knowing that your trespasses are no greater than he.  And when you meet a stranger in the street, and you want to "show love" to him, do you go tell him, stop smoking or stop drinking, because as science has proven, you become filthy and disgusting?  If you see an acquaintance you're not even close to, who's an atheist, do you go up to his face and tell him, "you're a fool."  Do you expect to change them by rebuking them in that manner?  Do you not know you will be judged in the same way?  And then what next?  If the smoker or drinker in the street, or the atheist walks away from your rebuke, will then call him stupid (Prov. 12:1)?  These verses weren't there for you to use against your neighbor.  They were there for your own personal rebuke and to cause sympathy for others, because God judges YOU, not him or her, YOU and ME.  And because He will judge ME, I show sympathy, not rebuke, to those I love.  Then, my "love" to the other will be apparent.  I love my neighbor as myself, that is, since I don't self-mutilate, I don't mutilate others, but I sacrifice myself for the other.  Whatever stones or insults are thrown at someone, I should take it myself.

Apostasy?  Why do think people apostatize?  Because we didn't follow St. Paul's example.  Instead of being a fool in Christ's name for the sake of others, we make others out as fools, and we drive them away from the Church.

God bless.
"

And after pulling Fr. George back up, they returned to the palace room, to awaken Fr. Chris with frozen, rotten fruit.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

Axios!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »

Worthy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »

Great post.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »

Worthy!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »

AXIOS!  Worthy!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:40 PM »

Axios!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »

AXIA!

Mina is a woman after all, right?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »

Worthy!

AXIA!

You would not be the first person to think that, but Mina is actually a guy. Or so he says  Tongue

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »

Worthy!

AXIA!

You would not be the first person to think that, but Mina is actually a guy. Or so he says  Tongue
Well he has the beard

Me and my good friend #23

I wouldn't want him to post pictures of anything else. Shocked
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:58:35 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »

Maybe someone should quote his custom title:

"Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P"

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »

Wow, I missed that epic post. Shocked

Άξιος!

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

I'm honored and blessed for my post to be chosen as worthy, and on Christmas :-).

I will forever strive to abide by its principles.

And yes, I'm a dude...and if my face isn't proof enough, my arms and legs are also witnesses to that fact, very strong Arab-featured witnesses, but my head is slowly losing some of those same witnesses, which for some people is also proof.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:47:51 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:32:09 PM »

Worthy!

AXIA!

You would not be the first person to think that, but Mina is actually a guy. Or so he says  Tongue

I stand corrected.  Apologies, Mina.  I just always assumed you were of the feminine persuasion.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »

And yes, I'm a dude...and if my face isn't proof enough, my arms and legs are also witnesses to that fact, very strong Arab-featured witnesses, but my head is slowly losing some of those same witnesses, which for some people is also proof.  Embarrassed
It's so obvious you're a guy. No girl could ever make so many posts in this forum (statistically speaking). Tongue

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »

It's so obvious you're a guy. No girl could ever make so many posts in this forum (statistically speaking). Tongue

You better hope that Ebor (4,860 posts) doesn't see that remark!  Wink

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: