OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:47:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jordanville Prayer Book  (Read 2226 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox Swamp Thing

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - San Francisco & The West

« on: January 18, 2010, 01:18:16 AM »

I use the Jordanville prayer book but on somethings I am kinda confused on some parts of the prayer book and when they should be prayed. Such as:

Daily Troparia & Kontakia

Supplicatory Canon to Our Lord Jesus Christ

Supplicatory Canon to the Most Holy Theotokos

Canon to the Guardian Angel

Akathist to Our Sweetest Lord Jesus

Akathist to our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos

Canon of Repentance to Our Lord Jesus Christ

and The Order of Preparation For Holy Communion

Thanks in advance for your help.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:50:01 AM »

Daily Troparia & Kontakia

Many of the daily services have both fixed and variable components. One of the variable components are the Troparia and Kontakia of the day. In the services of the Hours, for example, the Troparia of the day is said just after the Psalms of that Hour, and the Kontakia of the day is said just before the Prayer of Every Hour ("Thou Who at all times...").

Supplicatory Canon to Our Lord Jesus Christ

Supplicatory Canon to the Most Holy Theotokos

Canon to the Guardian Angel

Akathist to Our Sweetest Lord Jesus

Akathist to our Most Holy Lady the Theotokos

Canon of Repentance to Our Lord Jesus Christ

The canons and akathists are said more or less whenever you feel like it. The Canon of Repentance is normally said in the evening before taking Holy Communion, along with the Canon for Holy Communion.

and The Order of Preparation For Holy Communion

These prayers are said in the evening and/or morning before attending the Liturgy to receive Holy Communion. In some parishes, they are read during the Liturgy itself, just before the laity receive Communion.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:00:32 AM »

Thanks... so The Canon of Repentance and the Canon for Holy Communion would be prayed when during the evening prayers?
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »

Thanks... so The Canon of Repentance and the Canon for Holy Communion would be prayed when during the evening prayers?

Yes. You'd pray them in the evening after attending Great Vespers and perhaps confession, depending on your spiritual state.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:10:51 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:30 AM »

I'm not sure if Russian practice differs, but in the Greek tradition the Canon would be inserted into the service of the Small Compline, just after the Nicene Creed. The other Prayers Before Holy Communion would then be said the following morning after your regular morning prayers.
Christophoros

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »

In the Russian Church, the traditional (and quite lengthy!) preparation for Holy Communion includes the canons to Christ, the Theotokos, and one's guardian angel, plus with the canon of preparation for Holy Communion, along with the normal pre-communion prayers. The canon of repentance is optional.

I can't imagine many Russian Orthodox (in the diaspora, at least) follow this rule, on top of attendance at the All-Night Vigil, which is also traditionally required.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »

There should be a guide to using the canons and akathists in the back of the book. We're supposed to say 2 canons and 1 akathist the night before receiving Communion.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »

In the Russian Church, the traditional (and quite lengthy!) preparation for Holy Communion includes the canons to Christ, the Theotokos, and one's guardian angel, plus with the canon of preparation for Holy Communion, along with the normal pre-communion prayers. The canon of repentance is optional.

I can't imagine many Russian Orthodox (in the diaspora, at least) follow this rule, on top of attendance at the All-Night Vigil, which is also traditionally required.

They are spread out over the days preceding Communion.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »

Can you explain what you mean they are spread out leading up to communion?? The directions in the back of the prayer book are kinda hazy to say the least. If someone could break it down to 2¢ words that would be great.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »

Can you explain what you mean they are spread out leading up to communion?? The directions in the back of the prayer book are kinda hazy to say the least. If someone could break it down to 2¢ words that would be great.

Well, you can spread the reading of the canons and akathists over the three nights preceding Communion.

Also, if you are really pressed for time it is considered sufficient to read only three of the prayers from the Preparation for Holy Communion.

But, as with all things concerning your Prayer Rule, it is best to check this out with your own parish priest/spiritual father.

Fr Ambrose
Russian Orthodox Church (Abroad)

Today (18 January) is the commemoration of St. Dicuil of Lure
See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints

Christophoros

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »

They are spread out over the days preceding Communion.

I'm been told the traditional (though, like I said, probably not followed in the diaspora) practice was the praying of the canons the day before receiving communion. This is reflected in St. Tikhon's Seminary prayerbook: "A tradition has developed in the Church of reading three (sometimes four) Canons the evening before receiving the Holy Mysteries (Holy Communion). Many monastic Rules of Prayer prescribe this reading daily." (p. 79, "Orthodox Daily Prayers").

It's good to know other practices are utilized.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »

Well, you can spread the reading of the canons and akathists over the three nights preceding Communion.

Also, if you are really pressed for time it is considered sufficient to read only three of the prayers from the Preparation for Holy Communion.

But, as with all things concerning your Prayer Rule, it is best to check this out with your own parish priest/spiritual father.

Fr Ambrose
Russian Orthodox Church (Abroad)

Today (18 January) is the commemoration of St. Dicuil of Lure
See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints

Same Church, different part of the World, yet same instructions were given to me.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Orthodox Swamp Thing

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »

When I got chrismated I was given a cool prayer book called "A Manual of Eastern Orthodox Prayers." I talked to my priest and he said just so long as you have a rule of prayer is the most important thing. He said I could use an online prayer book if I was in a pinch.....

Any of you want to check out the prayer book it's here: http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Eastern-Orthodox-Prayers/dp/0881410128
Tags: prayer prayer book Jordanville Prayer Book 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: