OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 06:51:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patron Saint of Jordan (person, not the country)  (Read 3648 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »

If you are named Jordan, you would celebrate your name day on Theophany, right? But who would be your patron saint--St John the Baptist?

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »

If you are named Jordan, you would celebrate your name day on Theophany, right? But who would be your patron saint--St John the Baptist?

There was a Saint on the Roman Catholic Calendar who was Post-Schism...

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=360

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »

Whos my Patron Saint? My name is Ian. I guess it'd John the Baptist or John the Evangelist right? Hmmm..  Roll Eyes

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:52 PM »

Whos my Patron Saint? My name is Ian. I guess it'd John the Baptist or John the Evangelist right? Hmmm..  Roll Eyes

Both of those would make excellent choices (you, your priest, or the two of you in concert will decide for sure at the time of your baptism). However, there there are hundreds of St. John's--your choice isn't limited to those two

St. John Chrysostom
St. John of Damascus
St. John the Unmercenary
St. John Cassian
St. John Climacus
St. John of Beverly
St. John of Rila

And I haven't even left the first millennium yet...

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »

Both of those would make excellent choices (you, your priest, or the two of you in concert will decide for sure at the time of your baptism). However, there there are hundreds of St. John's--your choice isn't limited to those two

St. John Chrysostom
St. John of Damascus
St. John the Unmercenary
St. John Cassian
St. John Climacus
St. John of Beverly
St. John of Rila

And I haven't even left the first millennium yet...
St. John of Damascus would be an awesome choice. But of course I am biased. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

You would have two choices, your Patron would be St. John the Baptist or the Trinity as revealed at the Theophany.
I have a friend in Greece called "Iordani" whose feast day is the Synaxis of the Forerunner (January 7) and a cousin called "Theophania" whose feast day is Theophany (January 6). Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:05:03 PM »

Someone named Jordan would fall into the same category as Greeks named Sotirios/Sotiria, Stavros/Stavroula, Evangelos/Evangelia, Panaghiotis/Panaghiota and Lambrini. While, in some cases, people bearing such names have gone on to become saints, the origins of these names is from a specific feast of the Church, namely: the Transfiguration of the Lord, the Exaltation of the Cross, the Annunciation, the Dormition of the Mother of God, and Easter. Therefore, people with these names would simply celebrate their nameday on the appropriate feastday, and their patronal icon would be that of the feast. So someone named Jordan would have as their patronal icon that of the Theophany.

Of course, the Slavic tradition does not allow such "festal" names, unless there already exists a saint by that name, such as Anastasios/Anastasia (of the Resurrection).

Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.

Not quite. Just as common, ozgeorge, is the tradition, not just in Greece, but in Russia and elsewhere, of naming children, particularly the first-born boy and girl, after one's parents. Russian priests often will appoint a patron saint and feastday when informed of the prospective baptismal name, commonly choosing a saint of that name whose feast is closest to the child's birth date or baptismal date.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »

Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.

Not quite. Just as common, ozgeorge, is the tradition, not just in Greece, but in Russia and elsewhere, of naming children, particularly the first-born boy and girl, after one's parents. Russian priests often will appoint a patron saint and feastday when informed of the prospective baptismal name, commonly choosing a saint of that name whose feast is closest to the child's birth date or baptismal date.
So if you are named for the Baptist in Russia, who decides when you feast day is? In Greece it is the Sponsor.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »

So if you are named for the Baptist in Russia, who decides when you feast day is? In Greece it is the Sponsor.

Of the Orthodox in my extended family (there are also Roman Catholics and Lutherans), I would be struggling to find any of the Greeks having had their feast day chosen by their sponsors. It was the parents. Of the Russians in my family, a few had their feastday chosen by the priest, but, again, the rest were by the parents.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »

Of the Orthodox in my extended family (there are also Roman Catholics and Lutherans), I would be struggling to find any of the Greeks having had their feast day chosen by their sponsors. It was the parents. Of the Russians in my family, a few had their feastday chosen by the priest, but, again, the rest were by the parents.
Are they in Russia?

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »

Some are, some aren't. Likewise for the Greeks.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:00:31 AM »

Maybe you should start a local veneration of him?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 12:34:11 AM »

That would be cool, Mike. Maybe there's more information to dig up on him.

But there are, actually, three Orthodox saints named Jordan--Jordan the Wonderworker (May 2), who died in peace, and Jordan of Trebizond, the New Martyr (Feb. 2), and Jordan the Martyr with Suchias in Armenia (AD 123) on April 15.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JordanOfTrebizond

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/North America

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 01:38:43 AM »

Look up Saint Jordan of Trebizond  Wink

"'Deification': God became man that man might become God. 'Man' pre-exists in God—this is the “Son”—and “God” pre-exists in man: this is the Intellect [nous]. The point of contact between God and man is objectively Christ and subjectively the purified heart, intelligence- love.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

Look up Saint Jordan of Trebizond  Wink

Thanks. And welcome to the forum.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: