OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:26:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prayer before lunch....  (Read 5463 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 04, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

Hello, all.  Today I pcked up the little red pocket prayer book for Orthodox Christians at church.  it has many prayers, aswell as a pryer for before and after a meal.  I love to pray, It makes me feel that I am standing in church rather than in a public high chool on the bad side of town.  I am waiting for my Old Orthodox prayer book to come in the mail.  that will be researved for home and Church use.  my little red one, I would like to keep inside my backpack.  I would REALLY love it if I could begin to pray before lunch.  my only problem is that my school is pretty non-religious.  most of my peers are fallen away christians.  it's rather funny, accually.  I can't tell  you how many kids I've seen with rosarys around their necks and telling the assistant principle to F off. 

Sorry, back to my point!   

I want to pray before lunch.  I am not embarassed of my faith (though this will sound like it)  but I am afraid of persecution.  I know that I need to remember what my signature says.  I just have many Atheistic friends who would tell me about how God doesn't exist (thus prevoking the end of a friendship)

I just need some advice, if you please.   Smiley

Glory to Jesus Christ!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:00:31 AM »

It is important to be faithful with your prayers, but perhaps praying in a quiet and inconspicuous way at school would be the most beneficial thing to do.  We are not to be ashamed of our faith, but we are also to avoid grandstanding and making a show of it for our peers.  Christ warns us about praying in public to be seen, and you seem very aware that this would draw a lot of attention to you.  In fact, you even seem to anticipate harassment because of it.  My advice would be to quietly pray to yourself before meals at school, and perhaps be more formal and precise (standing, chanting and facing east) when at home, "in your closet" as it were.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:01:02 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 01:09:04 AM »

It is important to be faithful with your prayers, but perhaps praying in a quiet and inconspicuous way at school would be the most beneficial thing to do.  We are not to be ashamed of our faith, but we are also to avoid grandstanding and making a show of it for our peers.  Christ warns us about praying in public to be seen, and you seem very aware that this would draw a lot of attention to you.  In fact, you even seem to anticipate harassment because of it.  My advice would be to quietly pray to yourself before meals at school, and perhaps be more formal and precise (standing, chanting and facing east) when at home, "in your closet" as it were.

good Idea.  I have one question, do you think it would be alrght if I stayed sitting down wen I pray?  I know thatwhen we stand, we show full attention to God, but I think I would make less of a specticle of myself if I quickly preyed from my prayer book while seated.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »

I have one question, do you think it would be alright if I stayed sitting down when I pray?  I know that when we stand, we show full attention to God, but I think I would make less of a spectacle of myself if I quickly prayed from my prayer book while seated.

Well, these questions are best for your spiritual father, who I assume is your parish priest.  You could probably pull him aside for a moment quickly on a Sunday and ask for his advice.

If you're asking what I do in public, for example when I eat out at restaurants, I stay seated and pray quietly to myself.

You shouldn't need a prayerbook, as the typical prayer before a meal is the Lord's Prayer.  Of course, there is a prayer said after the meal as well, and that might take you a while to memorize.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 01:16:37 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »

I have one question, do you think it would be alright if I stayed sitting down when I pray?  I know that when we stand, we show full attention to God, but I think I would make less of a spectacle of myself if I quickly prayed from my prayer book while seated.

Well, these questions are best for your spiritual father, who I assume is your parish priest.  You could probably pull him aside for a moment quickly on a Sunday and ask for his advice.

If you're asking what I do in public, for example when I eat out at restaurants, I stay seated and pray quietly to myself.

You shouldn't need a prayerbook, as the typical prayer before a meal is the Lord's Prayer.  Of course, there is a prayer said after the meal as well, and that might take you a while to memorize.

I see.  I'll do that.  praying isn't as hard as it looks.  But, I thinl I'll keep a prayer book in my backpack in case I get bored.  I've heard it said that idle minds are the devil's workshop (or was it hands?)

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 01:24:13 AM »

I've heard it said that idle minds are the devil's workshop.

That's what the Prayer of the Heart is for.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »

I've heard it said that idle minds are the devil's workshop.

That's what the Prayer of the Heart is for.
Is the prayer of the heart the Jesus prayer?  (I've never heard the term "prayer of the heart")

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:58 AM »

Is the prayer of the heart the Jesus prayer?  (I've never heard the term "prayer of the heart")

Yep.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:37:55 AM »

Yep.

I got scared for a moment.  with all of the prayers I want to memorize, I don't need another one!  good thing I have allready memorized this! Grin

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

I got scared for a moment.  With all of the prayers I want to memorize, I don't need another one!  good thing I have already memorized this! Grin

I didn't really say this at all until I visited a Greek monastery this summer.  The monks there did it all the time, and taught me how to best do it when I was tending the grounds with them.  They used the short version of the prayer, which is what I ended up doing because of its simplicity:

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Alveus,
           Is there a greek monastary in the area? ( I know this isn't the board for this so PM me with the answer please)

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »

I try not to make a show when I'm praying, but the fact of the matter is that most times we pray (if not every time), we make the Sign of the Cross.  To outsiders not accustomed to this, it might seem like a show.  And because I eat in the company lunch/break room, everyone there sees me praying.  But although I'm the only Eastern Orthodox at work, I'm not the only Christian who prays before eating so I don't think anyone pays too much attention.  Plus, the area I live in is known as one of the Bible Belt buckles.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »

Hello, all.  Today I pcked up the little red pocket prayer book for Orthodox Christians at church.  it has many prayers, aswell as a pryer for before and after a meal.  I love to pray, It makes me feel that I am standing in church rather than in a public high chool on the bad side of town.  I am waiting for my Old Orthodox prayer book to come in the mail.  that will be researved for home and Church use.  my little red one, I would like to keep inside my backpack.  I would REALLY love it if I could begin to pray before lunch.  my only problem is that my school is pretty non-religious.  most of my peers are fallen away christians.  it's rather funny, accually.  I can't tell  you how many kids I've seen with rosarys around their necks and telling the assistant principle to F off. 

Sorry, back to my point!   

I want to pray before lunch.  I am not embarassed of my faith (though this will sound like it)  but I am afraid of persecution.  I know that I need to remember what my signature says.  I just have many Atheistic friends who would tell me about how God doesn't exist (thus prevoking the end of a friendship)

I just need some advice, if you please.   Smiley

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I can tell you what my spiritual father advises. Remain seated, say your prayers and cross yourself by drawing a cross on your forehead with your thumb. Best to avoid anything that could be construed as grandstanding or being prideful.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: