OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:22:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Youtube video dealing with EOxy from a convert  (Read 819 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: January 03, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »

What Is The Orthodox Church?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEeiM09IXI&feature=related

What say y'all?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:19:27 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »

Well... if someone wants to give a short summary of Orthodoxy, I think that's a good thing. It'd be nice to see an Orthodox presence build up on places like youtube. Having said that, the historical part sort of rubbed me the wrong way, just because it's a pet peeve of mine when Orthodox gloss over all the earlier--and to this day persisting--divisions in the Church, and make the Roman Catholic Church out to be the mother-of-all-divisions. For those unfamiliar with Church history, this gives the impression that the Church was chugging along just fine until 1054, when (at that exact date) everything started to fall apart.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »

I liked it. Very simple and accurate as far as I can tell. I think I'll email the link to some of my Protestant friends who don't really know what Orthodoxy is. It's good to have something succinct that people can easily grasp and understand.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »

For those unfamiliar with Church history, this gives the impression that the Church was chugging along just fine until 1054, when (at that exact date) everything started to fall apart.

Wait, you mean Christianity has always been a fragmented mess?  Shocked
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »

For those unfamiliar with Church history, this gives the impression that the Church was chugging along just fine until 1054, when (at that exact date) everything started to fall apart.

Wait, you mean Christianity has always been a fragmented mess?  Shocked
No.  I think Asteriktos is trying to point out that the schism between East and West is something that developed over several centuries prior to 1054 and didn't really become the complete mess we know today until several centuries after 1054.  The schism isn't a singularly catastrophic event that happened at a specific moment in time.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: