OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 09:11:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "icon corner"?  (Read 814 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: January 02, 2010, 04:26:12 PM »

I once heard my priest, in a sermon, talking about an Icon corner.  obviously it is a set place in a room where icons, prayer books, incense, etc. are kept.  But, are icons required to be in an icon corner?  I have three icons, all in different places of my room.  you see, I am 15, so my icons are confined to my room (my mom is protestant, I don't want ti shove my beliefs in her face)  is this OK?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »

I'm sure it's fine.  If you want to do something a little more organized, maybe put the three icons together on a bookcase, even if it's in front of the books.  Or keep them in separate places, but use one for when you pray.  It doesn't have to be anything elaborate.  It's just a place to focus when you pray. 

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »

If these icons are in your room, then you would hardly be "shoving [them] in her face" so to speak.  Just keep your practice with these icons to yourself and to your room, unless your mother is going to be policing you when you pray (which I seriously doubt). 

I've had to tone down my use of incense because of the discomfort it gives to my mother.  Fortunately, when I'm back on my own again, I can use it to my heart's content as I am used to doing!

Thus, be respectful.  In due time, you will hopefully have your own place where the use and display of icons are not considered "offensive" by others.  Patience.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:40:50 PM »

Yeah, you definitely don't want to freak your mom out.   Smiley  If she's not into incense, don't use it.  Just get a prayer book, a couple of icons to focus on, and you're in business.

Tags: icon corner 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: