OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when exactly does one become a "catechuman"?  (Read 1916 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: January 02, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

before or after catechism?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »

Before. Although some priests might not actually have a service to enter one into the catechumenate. I know my priest didn't. I was just simply a catechumen.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »

Before. Although some priests might not actually have a service to enter one into the catechumenate. I know my priest didn't. I was just simply a catechumen.

that's very interesting......  accually, one day I "walked in" on my priest making someome a catechuman before liturgy.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »

In our parish, we regularly attended the catechism class and were made catechumens in the middle of the current study.  Meaning our becoming catechumens had more to do with where we were in our Orthodox journey -- as decided by our priest -- than with the catechism class.  We had a formal ceremony during liturgy to be made catechumens. 

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »

Similarly, in my (Greek) parish, we have an Orthodoxy 101 class, which begins in the Fall.  By the time we enter the pre-Lenten period, class members who are not yet Orthodox have an idea--as does the pastor, who teaches the class--whether they want to make the commitment to Orthodoxy.  They are then officially made catechumens on Meatfare Sunday.

The rite used for making a Catechumen is, essentially, the first part of the Baptismal Service, in which the candidate is exorcized, questioned as to his/her desire to join the Church, and (in our version, not strictly canonical) recites the Creed.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »

My understanding is that it is less about your level of religious education but rather receiving the catachumen prayers, and is more reflective of your relationship to the Church, your desire and intention to join the Church, and the Church's intention to receive you through baptism or chrismation.

That being said, I'm sure there is a variety of practices for religious instruction depending on any paticular church. The best thing to do would be to just talk to your priest about it once you've decided that being received into the Church is something that you definitely want to do.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
trifecta
Fairly newly illumined

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »

In my OCA church, after.  Like Cymbyz, we had a catechism class (but is was not called that) in the fall, which ended by Holy Week, after which the option of chrismation was available on Holy Saturday.  Those who chose this option (I was not one of them), spent a couple of hours in the catechumate.  There was no pressure to go this route.

In fact, the first time I took the course I was not asked if I wanted chrismation.

After study, prayer, etc., I later became a catechumen.  This is the exception rather than the rule, but I entered the catecumenate by (very short) ceremony after a holy day service (I forget the official term for holy days).  I waited two years before being chrismated.

This follows a practice encouraged by John Chrystostom, who wanted people to spend three years as a catechumen.   Today, this is the exception rather than the rule.  After I became an official catechumen, I walked out of Divine Liturgy at the dismissal of the catechumens.  This is also highly unusual. 

Other people joined without completing the course.  In all cases, the priest needed to approve.

I'm glad that I did it as I did, but I'd be the first to say that my way  isn't for everybody.

born Catholic, became a Protestant, now and hereafter an Orthodox Christian
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 01:55:27 AM »

When they can spell it!  laugh laugh laugh

Please Trevor, forgive me, I just had to say it!  Kiss
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 02:04:14 AM »

I underwent a ceremony taking vows in an official way after inquiring for about six months.  Others do it other ways.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »

Hm Alveus I just noticed you changed your faith...very interesting  Roll Eyes
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »

As for a Serbian Diocese member it should be something like: Azbukivedihlaholrian Smiley

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »

when exactly does one become a "catechumen"?

Exactly when your local parish priest says so.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

Are you trying to make some kind of a point with the rolling eyes?
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »

I usually get a laugh out of your faith status. It cracked me up when I saw "Byzantine Catechumen Christian." I guess that was partly due to seeing how you decided to put that in a thread where a Byzantine Catholic was obstinate about a certain topic. I have no qualms and don't see why anyone would. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »

So I guess you want us to take you seriously, then?

Well, in that case Many Years!

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

It cracked me up when I saw "Byzantine Catechumen Christian." I guess that was partly due to seeing how you decided to put that in a thread where a Byzantine Catholic was obstinate about a certain topic.

That one was way better.  I'm going back.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: