OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 12:51:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Request for Mary Cecilia  (Read 9857 times) Average Rating: 0
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »

Memory Eternal to Mary Cecilia, and Lord, have mercy on Justin, Athanasia, and Sahara.

Justin, dear brother, I am so sorry. If you need anything, really anything, just holler, I'm here.

Love never fails.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. We did the viewing today. The viewing was supposed to be private and we were originally expecting (or trying to limit it to) 20 people, but we got more like 40 when all was said and done. The extra people weren't an issue like I thought it might be, though, and everyone fit in the room ok. Many of Mary's family (Father's side) and many of my family (Father's side) are Roman Catholic, so they said the rosary. After a short interlude, we then had an Orthodox priest, Fr. John, say a prayer service for her, and he gave a short talk afterwards. I guess because we had not embalmed her, they didn't want the viewing to go on too long, so after that we just said our final goodbyes. We then had a little get together in the hall of the Methodist Church that Mary's grandmother attends, and the Church ladies cooked the food for us.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:07:56 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »

Thank you all for your concern and prayers. We did the viewing today. The viewing was supposed to be private and we were originally expecting (or trying to limit it to) 20 people, but we got more like 40 when all was said and done. The extra people weren't an issue like I thought it might be, though, and everyone fit in the room ok. Many of Mary's family (Father's side) and many of my family (Father's side) are Roman Catholic, so they said the rosary. After a short interlude, we then had an Orthodox priest, Fr. John, say a prayer service for her, and he gave a short talk afterwards. I guess because we had not embalmed her, they didn't want the viewing to go on too long, so after that we just said our final goodbyes. We then had a little get together in the hall of the Methodist Church that Mary's grandmother attends, and the Church ladies cooked the food for us.

If you don't mind me asking, did the girls attend?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »

Yes, they did attend. We had a few conversations among various of the family about the pros and cons of children so young (3 and 4 1/2) attending their mother's funeral. In the end we felt that it would be best for them to at least have the chance of seeing their mother one last time. They were a bit confused/clingy, but that might have been because they were around so many people, and that there was crying and whatnot. When we held them close to Mary's body, they didn't seem to have any understanding of what was happening, and obviously we didn't try to be explicit about the situation. My older daughter, Athanasia, perhaps understood that something wasn't quite right, but she wasn't crying or fussing. My younger daughter, Sahara, was actually somewhat playful, talking about the flowers and pictures and whatnot close to the body.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

Asteriktos, it's so generous of you to share all these things with us all.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »

Very brave of you to give them that chance. They will remember when they are older and it will matter - very important to give them the chance to participate.

God be with you and your daughters.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

Yes, they did attend. We had a few conversations among various of the family about the pros and cons of children so young (3 and 4 1/2) attending their mother's funeral. In the end we felt that it would be best for them to at least have the chance of seeing their mother one last time. They were a bit confused/clingy, but that might have been because they were around so many people, and that there was crying and whatnot. When we held them close to Mary's body, they didn't seem to have any understanding of what was happening, and obviously we didn't try to be explicit about the situation. My older daughter, Athanasia, perhaps understood that something wasn't quite right, but she wasn't crying or fussing. My younger daughter, Sahara, was actually somewhat playful, talking about the flowers and pictures and whatnot close to the body.
Good. Everyone I've know who were prevented in a similar situation grew up resentful about itl and never quite got resolution.  I don't know anyone who went who was traumatized beyond the actual trauma of the facts: they seem to have used the viewing/funeral as a way to focus their disperate thoughts.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:24 PM »

Good. Everyone I've know who were prevented in a similar situation grew up resentful about itl and never quite got resolution.  I don't know anyone who went who was traumatized beyond the actual trauma of the facts: they seem to have used the viewing/funeral as a way to focus their disperate thoughts.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.

Agreed!

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »

I also agree.  Thank you for sharing something so deep and personal with us.  I only hope that our support is some consolation in this great time of loss.  Even though or relationships online are somewhat abstract, I know now that they are real, because when I read about your daughters seeing her body, I began to well up with tears.  In our own small way, we are hurting with you.

Lord, have mercy!
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »

May Mary Cecilia's memory be eternal and may Justin,  Athanasia, and Sahara be comforted in the thought that the Lord's handmaiden is in a place of light and love, where there is neither suffering nor sighing, but only life everlasting.

Justin, my condolences and prayers for you and the girls.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 06:08:44 AM »

One year ago today. Not exactly a happy new year for me. They say holidays are the hardest, but it hasn't been overwhelmingly emotional. Dec. 8 was my daughter's 4th birthday, Dec. 22nd the anniversary of my chrismation in 2001 (yes, it matters enough to me to remember, strange as that may sound), Dec. 25th Christmas, Dec. 28th would have been our 8th wedding anniversary (had we made it that far), Jan. 1 new years... ahh well. I know it sounds corny and cliche, but take a moment to tell someone what you think of them, you never know when they'll be gone.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »

take a moment to tell someone what you think of them, you never know when they'll be gone.

On this, her first annversary of repose, may Mary Cecilia's memory be eternal and may the Mother of Our Savior, the Holy Theotokos, continue to hold Athanasia, and Sahara close. Lord, give comfort to Justin in his memories of times past and in his expectation of times to come.

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »

+Memory Eternal!

Love never fails.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »

Memory eternal.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »

+Memory Eternal upon the soul of Mary Cecelia.

Lord, have mercy upon Asteriktos, his little girls, and his extended family.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »

Memory Eternal.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »

Lord have mercy on you and your girls and Memory Eternal for Mary Cecelia. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »

Memory Eternal!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags: Mary Cecilia Mary Cecilia 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up