Author Topic: Prayer Request for Mary Cecilia  (Read 12140 times)

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
Re: Prayer Request for Mary Cecilia
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 03:29:10 PM »
Memory Eternal to Mary Cecilia, and Lord, have mercy on Justin, Athanasia, and Sahara.

Justin, dear brother, I am so sorry. If you need anything, really anything, just holler, I'm here.
Love never fails.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
Thank you all for your concern and prayers. We did the viewing today. The viewing was supposed to be private and we were originally expecting (or trying to limit it to) 20 people, but we got more like 40 when all was said and done. The extra people weren't an issue like I thought it might be, though, and everyone fit in the room ok. Many of Mary's family (Father's side) and many of my family (Father's side) are Roman Catholic, so they said the rosary. After a short interlude, we then had an Orthodox priest, Fr. John, say a prayer service for her, and he gave a short talk afterwards. I guess because we had not embalmed her, they didn't want the viewing to go on too long, so after that we just said our final goodbyes. We then had a little get together in the hall of the Methodist Church that Mary's grandmother attends, and the Church ladies cooked the food for us.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:07:56 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »
Thank you all for your concern and prayers. We did the viewing today. The viewing was supposed to be private and we were originally expecting (or trying to limit it to) 20 people, but we got more like 40 when all was said and done. The extra people weren't an issue like I thought it might be, though, and everyone fit in the room ok. Many of Mary's family (Father's side) and many of my family (Father's side) are Roman Catholic, so they said the rosary. After a short interlude, we then had an Orthodox priest, Fr. John, say a prayer service for her, and he gave a short talk afterwards. I guess because we had not embalmed her, they didn't want the viewing to go on too long, so after that we just said our final goodbyes. We then had a little get together in the hall of the Methodist Church that Mary's grandmother attends, and the Church ladies cooked the food for us.

If you don't mind me asking, did the girls attend?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
Yes, they did attend. We had a few conversations among various of the family about the pros and cons of children so young (3 and 4 1/2) attending their mother's funeral. In the end we felt that it would be best for them to at least have the chance of seeing their mother one last time. They were a bit confused/clingy, but that might have been because they were around so many people, and that there was crying and whatnot. When we held them close to Mary's body, they didn't seem to have any understanding of what was happening, and obviously we didn't try to be explicit about the situation. My older daughter, Athanasia, perhaps understood that something wasn't quite right, but she wasn't crying or fussing. My younger daughter, Sahara, was actually somewhat playful, talking about the flowers and pictures and whatnot close to the body.

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »
Asteriktos, it's so generous of you to share all these things with us all.
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
Very brave of you to give them that chance. They will remember when they are older and it will matter - very important to give them the chance to participate.

God be with you and your daughters.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »
Yes, they did attend. We had a few conversations among various of the family about the pros and cons of children so young (3 and 4 1/2) attending their mother's funeral. In the end we felt that it would be best for them to at least have the chance of seeing their mother one last time. They were a bit confused/clingy, but that might have been because they were around so many people, and that there was crying and whatnot. When we held them close to Mary's body, they didn't seem to have any understanding of what was happening, and obviously we didn't try to be explicit about the situation. My older daughter, Athanasia, perhaps understood that something wasn't quite right, but she wasn't crying or fussing. My younger daughter, Sahara, was actually somewhat playful, talking about the flowers and pictures and whatnot close to the body.
Good. Everyone I've know who were prevented in a similar situation grew up resentful about itl and never quite got resolution.  I don't know anyone who went who was traumatized beyond the actual trauma of the facts: they seem to have used the viewing/funeral as a way to focus their disperate thoughts.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 11:48:24 PM »
Good. Everyone I've know who were prevented in a similar situation grew up resentful about itl and never quite got resolution.  I don't know anyone who went who was traumatized beyond the actual trauma of the facts: they seem to have used the viewing/funeral as a way to focus their disperate thoughts.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice.

Agreed!
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:09 AM »
I also agree.  Thank you for sharing something so deep and personal with us.  I only hope that our support is some consolation in this great time of loss.  Even though or relationships online are somewhat abstract, I know now that they are real, because when I read about your daughters seeing her body, I began to well up with tears.  In our own small way, we are hurting with you.

Lord, have mercy!

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:46 AM »
May Mary Cecilia's memory be eternal and may Justin,  Athanasia, and Sahara be comforted in the thought that the Lord's handmaiden is in a place of light and love, where there is neither suffering nor sighing, but only life everlasting.

Justin, my condolences and prayers for you and the girls.
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 06:08:44 AM »
One year ago today. Not exactly a happy new year for me. They say holidays are the hardest, but it hasn't been overwhelmingly emotional. Dec. 8 was my daughter's 4th birthday, Dec. 22nd the anniversary of my chrismation in 2001 (yes, it matters enough to me to remember, strange as that may sound), Dec. 25th Christmas, Dec. 28th would have been our 8th wedding anniversary (had we made it that far), Jan. 1 new years... ahh well. I know it sounds corny and cliche, but take a moment to tell someone what you think of them, you never know when they'll be gone.

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »
take a moment to tell someone what you think of them, you never know when they'll be gone.

On this, her first annversary of repose, may Mary Cecilia's memory be eternal and may the Mother of Our Savior, the Holy Theotokos, continue to hold Athanasia, and Sahara close. Lord, give comfort to Justin in his memories of times past and in his expectation of times to come.
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
Lord have Mercy.

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
Lord, have mercy!
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
+Memory Eternal!
Love never fails.

Offline Salpy

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • New Martyrs of Libya pray for us!
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
Lord have mercy!

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »
Lord, have mercy!
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
Memory eternal.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »
+Memory Eternal upon the soul of Mary Cecelia.

Lord, have mercy upon Asteriktos, his little girls, and his extended family.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline stashko

• Protokentarchos
  • Wonderworking Sitka Icon
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »
Memory Eternal.....Amen Amen
ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »
Lord have mercy on you and your girls and Memory Eternal for Mary Cecelia. 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Nigula Qian Zishi

• Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
  • OC.net guru
  • 我美丽的妻子和我。
    • Orthodox Ecclesiology and The World
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2011, 08:25:27 PM »
Memory Eternal!
在基督
尼古拉
前执事
的博客

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2015, 12:31:39 AM »
Thanks for being here, for me, and I'm sure for others. I guess it's strange saying that about a bunch of people most of whom I've never met. There for me you were nonetheless. I'm sorry for any confusion or annoyance I caused. I will try to message a couple of you tomorrow if I don't post anymore tonight. Later.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:35 AM »
Memory eternal!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Chapter one again, here I go again
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
Memory eternal.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
May Mary Cecilia's Memory Be Eternal. Lord! have mercy upon Justin and his two daughters Athanasia and Sahara.

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2015, 05:15:22 PM »
May her memory be eternal.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Lord have mercy!!