OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:45:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to OC.net  (Read 2206 times) Average Rating: 0
OnThePathForward

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (former Roman Catholic)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, as this is my first post.  My wife and I have been looking into Orthodoxy over the last couple of months and still have a lot to learn.  We were both born and raised as Roman Catholics, and had moved away from attending church.  Over the course of our relationship we have both felt a need to get back into a church and grow closer to God.  Needless to say over the past couple of years, from time to time, we have attended different Catholic churches as we both felt something was missing, as it 'just didn't feel right'.  However, we stopped attending church (for no particular reason).  Then a few months ago, this feeling of getting back to our faith in God, caused us to order a book about different denominations.  The reason we did this was because if I was to attend a church and belong, I wanted to know for sure that it is the one church where I knew was the true catholic and apostolic church.  Needless to say, we came across Orthodoxy in this book.  Prior to reading this, I never knew that the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches used to be united as the original Christian church.  My wife will tell you, that prior to digging through this book, I said that I would of course explore other denominations with her, however I was 95% certain that I wanted to stay with (or get back to) the Roman Catholic Church, however I needed to explore this with her to make certain of it.

Anyway, after reading about Orthodoxy, we decided to attend an Orthodox church nearby a couple of months ago and have now attended their Divine Liturgy ever since.  My wife and I both had a feeling during our first visit that was just incredible.  I, personally, have never felt so fulfilled and welcomed in a church before.  I don't know how to explain it...it felt..wonderful.

We have recently completed 'The Truth' by Clark Carlton and are continuing to learn about Orthodoxy where we can.  We now believe that Orthodoxy is where we belong, however we have still not communicated that we want to begin the process (whatever that may be) to becoming Orthodox, as we are still not partaking of the Eucharist, and I keep having this feeling inside that there is still some further historical research that I need to do in order to fully understand what the Orthodox church stands for and represents.  I simply want to understand.  Not to mention the fact that I recently found out why Orthodoxy is simply not 'Orthodoxy' as there is Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy.  (We have been attending an Eastern Orthodox Church).  Thus more questions pop up in my mind that I feel I need answered before we make a decision which way to go...

Well, I guess that is enough rambling for now Smiley  Thank you to all who work tirelessly to keep this site up and running.  I am truly looking forward to participating here as my wife and I continue to understand Orthodoxy and grow in our faith with God.  I know I will have many questions and look forward to learning from all of you.

Respectfully,
- OnThePathForward
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:02:19 AM »

Welcome!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:03:01 AM »

Welcome to the forum!
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »

Welcome!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 03:12:48 AM »

Welcome to the forum!   Smiley
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »

Welcome!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »

Welcome to the forum Smiley 

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
OnThePathForward

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome!  Smiley
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »

Welcome!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »

Another warm welcome to the forum.  I'm pretty new myself; my husband and I have been attending an Orthodox mission church for almost a year.  In reading your post I thought of another post I'd seen recently here (but on a different board). Based on that post, I would recommend that you start reading various biographies/stories on the lives of the Orthodox saints.

God grant you many years! 

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »

Welcome to our site!  Please don't hesitate to ask questions in the Convert Forum, or the Orthodox-Catholic discusion section. 

Also, I would VERY HIGHLY recommend that you talk to your local priest about inquiry into the faith.  i'm sure he'd love to sit down with you and your wife for some classes or the like. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »

Glory to God! Welcome to our humble forums. Smiley

We have recently completed 'The Truth' by Clark Carlton and are continuing to learn about Orthodoxy where we can.  

I would highly recommend the other book in Carlton's series, "The Faith". An excellent catechism, and I think you will find it to be quite refreshing in comparision to the Catholic versions you may be used to! Wink

Also, if you want a brief exposition of Orthodox history and doctrine, you can check out "The Orthodox Church" by Mp. Kallistos Ware.

Finally, there is a 4 volume online series which gives a well rounded introduction to the faith:

http://www.oca.org/OCorthfaith.asp

In XC

O_c

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:26:30 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
OnThePathForward

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »

Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Thankful - I'll have to admit that I know very little, if anything about our saints, so I'll have to start somewhere with that...any suggestions?

serb1389 - My wife and I have scheduled a time to meet with our priest from the Orthodox church we've been attending, so I think this will help a lot in our journey.  We did speak with our Deacon and learned a lot initially, and I am so thankful how welcoming they have been.

Ortho_cat, thank you for the suggestion!  We actually just purchased The Faith a couple of weeks ago and we have gone through some of it so far. 

Again, thank you for the welcome here and I'll be sure to post some questions in the near future when I get a chance!

- OnThePathForward
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 11:52:43 PM »

Welcome to the forum

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »

Dear On the Path Forward, Welcome to the Convert Issues Forum!

The purpose of the Convert issues forum is to provide a a place on the OC.Net where inquirers like yourself may ask their questions about the Orthodox Faith in a safe and supportive forum without retribution or recrimination. We hope you will use it to learn the basic teachings and practices of the Orthodox churches. We try to provide direct and simple answers with sources if possible.

Again Welcome to the Forum!

In Christ,
Thomas
Convert Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:55:48 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
OnThePathForward

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »

Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since I have posted, but I wanted to share something very important. Back in January of this year, my wife and I were Christmated in the Orthodox Church.  This journey took well over a year and has been the most amazing experience. 

I still have a long way to go when it comes to growing closer to God, but I have never been happier with my faith. I look forward to partaking in many more discussions here and continuing to learn from all of you as my wife and I continue to grow as Orthodox Christians!

Thank you so much to those of you who have taken the time to answer my many questions here and helping me along my journey.

- OnThePathForward
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »

Glory to God! Congrats on your family's chrismation!  Cheesy

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

Many Years to the newly illumined!!

Congratulations!!   Smiley
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:28 PM »

Fantastic!

Congratulations and Many Years!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 11:06:47 PM »

congrats!  many years!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
OnThePathForward

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »

Thanks guys!  Cheesy
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »

Many years.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 03:49:21 AM »

Congratulations!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: