OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 04:28:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bible Translations  (Read 5469 times) Average Rating: 1
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »

Quote from: Iconodule
FYI: there's an Orthodox revision of the KJV Old Testament and Apocrypha, available online. He basically took the KJV translation and fixed it where it departed from the Septuagint.

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm

Thank you! What a good find.   Smiley

Not posting
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »

FYI: there's an Orthodox revision of the KJV Old Testament and Apocrypha, available online. He basically took the KJV translation and fixed it where it departed from the Septuagint.

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm

Thanks so much.

I'm actually started work self-publish an "Orthodox" KJV (perhaps on Lulu?). I'm mostly just re-arranging the 1789 standardized text, placing the OT books in canonical order. In a few places I'm using Brenton's LXX translation (e.g., the book of Esther, which is significantly divergent from the Masoretic text, IV Macc., Psalm 151, etc.). I'm also inserting the additions to Daniel into the Masoretic text where they fall in the LXX. Academically, it is very messy. I don't know if I'll ever get it to press, but it gives me something to do late at night.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:52:30 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »

Has anyone heard Fr. Thomas Hopko's new talk on the Septuagint and its place in Orthodox Old Testament readings?

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/reading_the_old_testament
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:22:02 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 10:36:48 PM »

My personal favorite (besides the OSB) is the Holman Christian Standard Bible, aside from being easy to read they also have the service member Bibles (Soldiers Bible, Marines Bibles etc.). I was presented with one before I went to basic training and another one before I went to Iraq. Among the things I carried with me every where at basic (one canteen full of water, "smart card", "smart book") was my HCSB, I even had a ziploc bag for the Bible so it wouldn't get wet in rain or mud. For me the translation is so easy to understand with out taking too much out of the message. The foot notes were very helpful and it was because of those footnotes that I paid a lot of attention to the LXX which studying (among other things) lead me to the Orthodox Church.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 11:54:47 PM »

The EOB has purposely translated "episcopate" as "overseers" rather than "bishops" and that alone makes me cringe. I have some hope for the HOB for an Old Testament, but prefer the ONT for my New Tetament.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 12:13:59 AM »

yeah i was gonna get ESV but i still wasn't feeling it. it was lacking.

plus the message bible i have is hot pink and it matches the hot pink bible tabs my cousin got me for xmas.  i like for things to match. ^_^

plus i really really REALLY love my message bible.  like i feel as if its talking to me. the other bibles feel like you have to pull out a thesaurus & they have too many footnotes.  for now, since i'm a beginning bible reader, stuff like that bores me & puts me off of bible reading. the message bible never does that to me. it keeps me alert & focused. 

whats the use of people forcing me to read bibles i cant comprehend/have an interest in at gunpoint? 

:-/

Its times like this, that I am sure that XuXana is just some fake profile made up by someone (like prankster Bobby Quick) seeing how much shallowness posters will put up with if attached with a pretty stock photo of an attractive young girl. Of course I think the same thing about our super-modernism&papism-defending "Italian Catholic" poster too. :-)

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: