Author Topic: Harry Potterr and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
Harry Potterr and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
Saw the movie, this afternoon.  Very dark, but great.  What a cliff hanger.  Can't wait for July for Part 2.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
Re: Harry Potterr and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
So if they make two parts out of the last movie, does that count as seven total movies in the series, or eight?  ???

:-\
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:38:41 AM »
Monks go to the movies?

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
I fell asleep for most of it. What happened? ;D
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
Monks go to the movies?

The poster is a monk and he said he went to the movies, so apparently some monks do. 

As for me, I'm going to wait until the crowds die down to see it.  I made the mistake of going to a midnight showing a couple years back and it left me scarred for life. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:39:50 AM by Ionnis »
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »

"Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the devil,"

-Fr. Amorth Chief Exorcist of Rome

"There is no such thing as "white" magic. The demons may pretend for a while to help the magician, but only in order to serve their own plans, i.e. to bring a greater harm to the people. When the magician is of no more use to them, then they will destroy him as well."

-Archimandrite Savvas Achilleas

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 04:09:17 AM »

"There is no such thing as "white" magic."

Nonsense. James Randi is a white magician. So are Penn and Teller. I think? Or are they just tricking us into thinking that they are... woh...

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 04:40:49 AM »

Nonsense. James Randi is a white magician. So are Penn and Teller. I think? Or are they just tricking us into thinking that they are... woh...

From my understanding, those people you mentioned are illusionists not "white magicians." 
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
I don't think Harry Potter's magic involves demons.

Then again, maybe I fell asleep during that part.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:53:50 AM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Entscheidungsproblem

• Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
  • Protokentarchos
    • Amsterdam Declaration 2002
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »
Who could forget that iconic scene where Harry Potter called upon Baphomet for assistance...  ::)
As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS

Offline Monk Vasyl

• High Elder
    • Web site of our parish, St. Andrew UOCof USA
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
Monks go to the movies?

Yes, some do.  This is my movie for the year.
The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl

Offline AMM

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
Saw the movie, this afternoon.  Very dark, but great.  What a cliff hanger.  Can't wait for July for Part 2.

I'm not much of a movie goer, but my wife and kids saw it yesterday and they said somebody in the front stood up after it was over and said "I want part 2!", so it must have been good.  My kids have read the books over and over.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
Monks go to the movies?

Perhaps this is a situation that falls under the 13th saying of Abba Anthony...

"A hunter in the desert saw Abba Anthony enjoying himself with the brethren and he was shocked. Wanting to show him that it was necessary sometimes to meet the needs of the brethren, the old man said to him, 'Put an arrow in your bow and shoot it.' So he did. The old man then said, 'Shoot another,' and he did so. Then the old man said, 'Shoot yet again and the hunter replied 'If I bend my bow so much I will break it.' Then the old man said to him, 'It is the same with the work of God. If we stretch the brethren beyond measure they will soon break. Sometimes it is necessary to come down to meet their needs.' When he heard these words “the hunter was pierced by compunction and, greatly edified by the old man, he went away. As for the brethren, they went home strengthened."

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
I hope to see it in the next couple of weeks--I can't wait to see it.  It is 10 degrees outside (I have no idea what the wind chill is and I probably don't want to know) and the roads are terrible due to snow and ice.  I am staying in my house as much as possible--we are expecting a few more inches today and tonight. 

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
Who could forget that iconic scene where Harry Potter called upon Baphomet for assistance...  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OHgTzsUZA&feature=related

Maleficent aligns herself with all the powers of Hell. Down with Disney!!!

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
Do Orthodox positions on "magic" differ so greatly from Catholic and certain strains of Protestantism?  I know the RC church believes that all magic or divination interacts, on some level, with demons. 

By the way, I'm not implying that Harry Potter movies are evil, demonic, etc., or that watching them is bad, but Rafa's comment didn't seem to be far from many traditional Christian positions. 

I attended a Divine Liturgy in October where the Gospel reading (Luke 8:26-39) was related to modern day events.  The priest sighted the rise and acceptance of cults and magic as evidence of continuing demonic influence. He cautioned against movies such as these that seem harmless and fun, but actually glorify practices that are in conflict with the Church.   
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »
Do Orthodox positions on "magic" differ so greatly from Catholic and certain strains of Protestantism?  I know the RC church believes that all magic or divination interacts, on some level, with demons.  

By the way, I'm not implying that Harry Potter movies are evil, demonic, etc., or that watching them is bad, but Rafa's comment didn't seem to be far from many traditional Christian positions.  

I attended a Divine Liturgy in October where the Gospel reading (Luke 8:26-39) was related to modern day events.  The priest sighted the rise and acceptance of cults and magic as evidence of continuing demonic influence. He cautioned against movies such as these that seem harmless and fun, but actually glorify practices that are in conflict with the Church.    
There are types of 'magic' that involve the control of spirits, spirits that may be demonic or simply controllable. These spirits are then sent out to perform certain deeds.

However, other types of 'magic' are simply the use of one's own natural, 'magical' abilities.

Voldemort's magic seems to involve both types, but for negative purposes.

Harry Potter doesn't seem to be involved in the first type of magic.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:16:01 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

Not really, considering that Fathers encouraged the reading of Homer and Plato. The only "tradition" being represented with this attitude is puritanism. 

As for the new movie, I saw it with my wife today. I enjoyed Harry Potter when it was less deadly-serious and when the screen wasn't so dominated by greys and steely blues. 
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 08:54:14 PM »

Not really, considering that Fathers encouraged the reading of Homer and Plato. The only "tradition" being represented with this attitude is puritanism. 

"What has Hollywood to do with Constantinople?" -Tertullian the New ;)

But joking aside, I agree with you.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
We are waiting for the movie to be on Netflix. Six tickets to the movies is veeerrrryyyy expensive. (Yes, they make us buy a ticket for the 1 year old too)

Not to mentio captions and the pause button are a parents best friends.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:26:02 PM by Quinault »

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »

"Behind Harry Potter hides the signature of the king of the darkness, the devil,"

"There is no such thing as "white" magic. The demons may pretend for a while to help the magician, but only in order to serve their own plans, i.e. to bring a greater harm to the people. When the magician is of no more use to them, then they will destroy him as well."

God bless you Rafa! its good to see people on this forum that are willing to post the unpopular opinion

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »

God bless you Rafa! its good to see people on this forum that are willing to post the unpopular opinion

feeling guilty, I ruined the poor monk's only movie for a year...

anyways, to emphasize my point again :

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:57:14 PM by Rafa999 »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 10:52:23 PM »

"Consequently we must be conversant with poets, with historians, with orators, indeed with all men who may further our soul's salvation. Just as dyers prepare the cloth before they apply the dye, be it purple or any other color, so indeed must we also, if we would preserve indelible the idea of the true virtue, become first initiated in the pagan lore, then at length give special heed to the sacred and divine teachings, even as we first accustom ourselves to the sun's reflection in the water, and then become able to turn our eyes upon the very sun itself. If, then, there is any affinity between the two literatures, a knowledge of them should be useful to us in our search for truth; if not, the comparison, by emphasizing the contrast, will be of no small service in strengthening our regard for the better one."

--A quotation from that modernizing, soul-destroying, pagan-loving guy named St. Basil the Great.

Offline Rafa999

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »
Depart! Depart! Go out from there,
    Touch no unclean thing;
      Go out from the midst of her,
      Be clean,
      You who bear the vessels of the LORD.

-Isaiah 52:11

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:57:30 PM by Rafa999 »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:35 PM »
    Touch no unclean thing;
      Be clean,

Then why are you talking on a message board with atheists, agnostics, hindu-Christian hybrids, skeptics, etc.? We'll sully your divinely imaged soul, good sir! Flee, flee for your life!

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
    Touch no unclean thing;
      Be clean,

Then why are you talking on a message board with atheists, agnostics, hindu-Christian hybrids, skeptics, etc.? We'll sully your divinely imaged soul, good sir! Flee, flee for your life!

sarcasm really strengthens your argument! just wanted to point that out to you ...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »
sarcasm really strengthens your argument! just wanted to point that out to you ...

Calling it an argument would imply that I hoped to convince you of something. I didn't. I was just having a bit of fun at your expense.  :)

Offline jckstraw72

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 03:00:35 AM »

Calling it an argument would imply that I hoped to convince you of something. I didn't. I was just having a bit of fun at your expense.  :)

eeeeh tweren't me .... twas rafa

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 01:19:39 AM »

From my understanding, those people you mentioned are illusionists not "white magicians." 

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke. When I consider something a silly comment I sometimes like to joke around a bit in response, so I took the word "white" and purposely acted like I was misunderstanding what was meant by the word. :angel:

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »

eeeeh tweren't me .... twas rafa

You're not the same person?  ???

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
So, I saw the movie... Great flick. NOT A KIDS MOVIE!
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »

I assume, Papist, that I should see the last one (which I missed) to have any chance of following this one?

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »

I assume, Papist, that I should see the last one (which I missed) to have any chance of following this one?
Yes, you really need to see what happened inthe half-blood prince, in order to understand what is going on in this particular movie.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »

Yes, you really need to see what happened inthe half-blood prince, in order to understand what is going on in this particular movie.
He really only needs to read the Wikipedia summary of the book, and he's good to go.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
I have to say, i was really dissappointed in the psueod-sex scene in this movie. Such things have no place in a Harry Potter film.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 04:14:44 PM »

He really only needs to read the Wikipedia summary of the book, and he's good to go.
I think that if he does that, he will be sorely disappointed about not learning about certain aspects of the plot from actually seeing the movie. That is, of course, unless he has not already read the books.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »
I have to say, i was really dissappointed in the psueod-sex scene in this movie. Such things have no place in a Harry Potter film.

The whole film seemed to me to be pandering to the Twilight crowd. I honestly thought the film was just dreary. I can't say I'm excited about Part 2.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
I am guilty of not reading the books. For some reason I couldn't finish the first one...I just lost interest.  :-[

For what it is worth, I also found the first two films a bit boring---I thought things got interesting with the third.

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
Here is a review of the film from a traditional Catholic perspective:

http://decentfilms.com/reviews/harrypotter7a

I haven't really read much of it so I don't come across any spoilers.  :)

Offline lubeltri

• Latin Catholic layman
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »

I think that if he does that, he will be sorely disappointed about not learning about certain aspects of the plot from actually seeing the movie. That is, of course, unless he has not already read the books.

I'll have to Netflix it.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 05:59:18 PM »
I couldn't read the books, either; couldn't get past the first few pages of the first book, and only read the last few pages of the last book. I figured the rest was just filler. ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:59:50 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
I am guilty of not reading the books. For some reason I couldn't finish the first one...I just lost interest.  :-[

For what it is worth, I also found the first two films a bit boring---I thought things got interesting with the third.
I am with you there. I got about halfway through the first one, then couldn't to it after that. The first one was clearly a children's book, and it most certainly did not posses the depth of thought found in the Chronicles of Narnia.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 05:49:57 PM »
I've just seen it and I've rally enjoyed it.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.