OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:03:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about the Church of the East  (Read 603 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: December 29, 2009, 10:58:09 PM »

OK, now that we have a real live member of the COE here on the forum, I want to ask some questions, in the hope that he'll indulge us and answer them, or find the answers to them.   Smiley

Here we go:

1.  I recall looking at a COE calendar and seeing that August 15 was dedicated to St. Mary.  I wonder if that date commemorates her Assumption (Dormition,) just like it does in the EO, OO and Catholic Churches?

2.  Does the COE have feast days for the Conception of the Virgin Mary, or for the Presentation of the Virgin Mary to the Temple when she was a little girl?  If so, what are the dates for those holy days?

3.  Is there a good COE calendar on line that has all the feast days and perhaps also the fasting days?

4.  Are Ibas (Hiba) of Edessa and Theodoret of Cyr venerated as saints in the COE?  If not, what is their status, if any (are they under anathema, is the COE indifferent toward them, etc?)  Note to everyone:  I'm not asking this because I want to restart another polemical discussion about Chalcedon.  I'm genuinely curious, because I've heard a couple of times that they are venerated by the COE, but I heard it from polemical sources, so I'm not sure if it's true.

5.  Is there a good list somewhere on line of all the saints of the COE?

6.  What are the fasting rules for the COE?  Besides Lent, what other fasting periods are there?  Which foods do you abstain from?

If at least some of these questions could be answered, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks ahead of time.   Smiley

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:32:06 AM »

Are we talking about the Assyrian Church of the East or the Ancient Church of the East?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »

I guess both.  If I understand correctly, the schism between the two is of recent origin, so I assume there is not a big difference in beliefs or practice.  There may be a difference in calendar, though, which I suppose could affect some of the answers.

Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:56:04 AM »

The schism happened because of a calendar issue. To make things worse the ancient church of the east is fragmenting rapidly, there's even a so called "assembly of Jerusalem" claiming to represent both the church of the East and ancient church of the east. A real joke.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:22 AM »

Well in that case, I guess answers relevant to just the Assyrian Church of the East would be best.   Smiley

Tags: Church of the East Assyrian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: