OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh Those Russians  (Read 17884 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

But look how popular the Russian Orthodox Church in Jerusalem is:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:49:46 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2009, 03:08:28 PM »

The random odd ball does not a trend make.  You ought to know that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2009, 03:18:29 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »

ozgeorge,

I'm not sure what the big problem is with Russians in the Holy Land. As someone said, if the Patriarch of Jerusalem doesn't have a problem with them, then why do you? They are there, as previously mentioned, with the pleasure and blessing of the Patriarch of Jerusalem. Are you saying that the Russians in the Holy Land should go elsewhere? I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish or what you are arguing. First your talking about Jerusalem and then pogroms and popularity so I really don't know what you want to done in this thread. I don't really see anything in this thread other than trying to get across that Russians are bad or something.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:32:04 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

They are there, as previously mentioned, with the pleasure and blessing of the Patriarch of Jerusalem.
I think I'd like to see something from the Patriarchate of Jerusalem to support this claim other than a post on a discussion forum with nothing to back it up.

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »

Ozgeorge, I don't pretend to understand everything in this thread, but Russian Jews, they are everywhere  in this part of the world. You'd be surprised to know that, when discussing religion, most of them lapse very naturally into Russian Orthodox lingo-indeed far more naturally than Jewish terminology. I've never met a one amongst the multitudes of recent immigrants who has expressed any animosity towards the Orthodox Church per se.

ETA: I lied. I did meet one Russian Jewish woman who complained to me that the ROC was "monoethnic" and therefore, hard for her to penetrate as a (poor) Russian Jew. However, she was wearing on her finger a Russian Orthodox "spasi i sokhrani" ring and, although she had left the ROC informally, she was, nevertheless, attending another Christian denomination and was not a practising Jew.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:48:51 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »

They are there, as previously mentioned, with the pleasure and blessing of the Patriarch of Jerusalem.
I think I'd like to see something from the Patriarchate of Jerusalem to support this claim other than a post on a discussion forum with nothing to back it up.

If you want to see something official from the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, go to Israel and see the antimensia which lie on the altars of the Russian churches in the Holy Land.

You will see that every one is signed by the Patriarch of Jerusalem.

I suppose there are three possibilities:

1.  The Russians have been paying him enormous amounts of money to bribe him to supply the antimensia

2.  The Russians have threatened the life of the Patriarch if he doesn't sign them

3.  The Patriarch issues the antimensia to the Russians at his own goodwill and pleasure.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:51:12 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »

2.  The Russians have threatened the life of the Patriarch if he doesn't sign them

IMO that's the most propable one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »

What would make you think that it is not the case? Do you have anything from the Patriarchate saying otherwise? I want to see something that proves your case that the Patriarch does not want the Russians there. Have you read something that would suggest the Patriarch has a problem with the Russians?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:11:46 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #99 on: December 30, 2009, 04:42:13 PM »

Why is the onus on others to demonstrate that what has been the status quo for over 150 years (as demonstrated by the websites you yourself cited) is a problem for anyone besides yourself?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

The two bishops in the photos in case you do not know is the Patriarch of Jerusalem and Bishop Peter of Cleavland (ROCOR) who happen to be friends which was taken during the ROCOR pilgimage in 2007. If the Patriarch had a problem with these Russians, why meet with them in a loving manner and give them their blessing? ROCOR bishops have also concelebrated with Jurusalem bishops (I can get a photo of that also if you wish).

I really don't see what your problem with the Russians are.
ThePilgrim

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »

ozgeorge,

I can't help feeling that your goal is just to cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble, and it seems rather inconceivable.

This whole thread was started by you to promote the idea that the Russians are doing something shady in the Holy Land.  To date, you've been unable to provide any evidence of that, and yet you continue to make snide and uncharitable remarks, and seem disappointed when you find out that people aren't bitter and aren't holding historical grudges.  Why?

The fact of the matter is, unless you have evidence that something shady *is* going on, it is uncharitable and slanderous of you to imply that it is.  A person is not guilty until proven innocent; they are innocent until proven guilty.

It would be ridiculous of me to say that you beat little children and torture kittens and then insist that until you can somehow provide evidence that you've never done that, we should all assume that you  have.

So likewise, when all the evidence seems to point to nothing bad going on, can you give it a rest and stop bringing up really old historical pictures of pogroms, ignoring the many positive examples of Russian/Jewish interaction, and making bitter and sarcastic remarks?

Grace and peace,
Sbn John
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2009, 06:15:57 PM »

ozgeorge,

I'm not sure what the big problem is with Russians in the Holy Land. As someone said, if the Patriarch of Jerusalem doesn't have a problem with them, then why do you? They are there, as previously mentioned, with the pleasure and blessing of the Patriarch of Jerusalem. Are you saying that the Russians in the Holy Land should go elsewhere? I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish or what you are arguing. First your talking about Jerusalem and then pogroms and popularity so I really don't know what you want to done in this thread. I don't really see anything in this thread other than trying to get across that Russians are bad or something.

I agree with you. There seems to be something that is really bugging Ozgeorge and that thing, whatever it is, is different than the issue at hand. I hope and pray that this thing will resolve itself and that Ozgeorge will get better.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Btw, the graffitti just says "Death to Christians" not "Death to Russians" nor "Death to the Orthodox."  For all we know, the writer can't tell the difference between a Pentacostal and the Patriarch of Jerusalem.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Btw, the graffitti just says "Death to Christians" not "Death to Russians" nor "Death to the Orthodox."  For all we know, the writer can't tell the difference between a Pentacostal and the Patriarch of Jerusalem.

Except that the Russian Cathedral is in the Russian Compound of Jerusalem. The target seems clear.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Except that the Russian Cathedral is in the Russian Compound of Jerusalem. The target seems clear.

George, what the heck is the matter with you?  Do you remember a few years back when one of the Ec. Patriarchate's churches was set on fire in Istanbul and the sexton was murdered and thrown down the church well?   None of us delighted in that.  None of us said:  See how welcome the Greeks are in Istanbul.

I guess you are still feeling the effects of the swine flu and you are feeling testy.  Much sympathy and prayers for your recovery.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

George, what the heck is the matter with you?  Do you remember a few years back when one of the Ec. Patriarchate's churches was set on fire in Istanbul and the sexton was murdered and thrown down the church well?   None of us delighted in that.  None of us said:  See how welcome the Greeks are in Istanbul.

I guess you are still feeling the effects of the swine flu and you are feeling testy.  Much sympathy and prayers for your recovery.
Why the histrionics? Who is taking delight in what has happened to the Russian Cathedral? I am merely questioning isalmisry's earlier point on this thread that the Russian Orthodox are "popular" in Israel and Palestine. Clearly, they are not.
Just chillax.

Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Why the histrionics? Who is taking delight in what has happened to the Russian Cathedral? I am merely questioning isalmisry's earlier point on this thread that the Russian Orthodox are "popular" in Israel and Palestine. Clearly, they are not.
Just chillax.

And I had believed that something serious was going on that had caused you to behave so--kind of reflected pain. Oh well, clearly you are unrepentant and intend to continue to be ugly and mean. So, prayers are still in order: Lord have mercy on Thy servant George.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »

I too hope you're feeling better, George. I know from sad personal experience that when I am deeply troubled about some personal issue I tend to lash out at others. It requires constant humility and contrition to surrender to the harshness of reality sometimes.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Just chillax.

And I had believed that something serious was going on that had caused you to behave so--kind of reflected pain. Oh well, clearly you are unrepentant and intend to continue to be ugly and mean. So, prayers are still in order: Lord have mercy on Thy servant George.
Thanks for your prayers for my ugly meanness. You're such a good friend.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »

When I read some of the threads on this forum, I wonder why I didn't become a Buddhist!  laugh

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Just chillax.

Well, it is the Greek clergy who are always moaning that they are being spat on in Israel.  How popular is that!?
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

LOL! Cheesy

Just chillax.

Well, it is the Greek clergy who are always moaning that they are being spat on in Israel.  How popular is that!?
Why are you tuning this into a Greeks vs. Russians thing?
I know you think the Russian will eventually take over the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, and ialmisry believes this also because he thinks Russian Orthodoxy is popular among the Israelis, but the reality is that neither the Greeks nor the Russians are popular.
What I'm interested in though is your hopes for a Russian takeover of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem. Isn't the upcoming Russian takeover of Constantinople which you often go on about enough for you ?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

It is the way you structured this thread in your opening post which has taken us down this road.

What I'm interested in though is your hopes for a Russian takeover of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

What a strange view of it!  THESE ARE  JEWS who have come from the old Soviet Union to the Holy Land.    It will be the JEWS reclaiming the throne of Saint James the Brother of the Lord.   It will be a JEW who will sit on the cathedra and rule the Church of Jerusalem.  May it happen tomorrow!   May the Holy City cease to be ruled by foreign imported clergy and may it become Jewish again!  May the sound of Hebrew psalms reverberate in our churches.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:37:03 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »

It is the way you structured this thread in your opening post which has taken us down this road.
if you say so.

What I'm interested in though is your hopes for a Russian takeover of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

What a strange view of it!  THESE ARE  JEWS who have come from the old Soviet Union to the Holy Land.    It will be the JEWS reclaiming the throne of Saint James the Brother of the Lord.   It will be a JEW who will sit on the cathedra and rule the Church of Jerusalem.  May it happen tomorrow!   May the Holy City cease to be ruled by foreign imported clergy and may it become Jewish again!  May the sound of Hebrew psalms reverberate in our churches.
Russian Jews isn't it? You said so yourself. Non-Russian Jews won't cut it for you. But personally, I'd rather see Christians on the throne of Jerusalem.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:41:15 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »

if you say so.

Russian Jews isn't it? You said so yourself. Non-Russian Jews won't cut it for you. But personally, I'd rather see Christians on the throne of Jerusalem.

What have you got against Russian Jews? 

Are there any other Christian Jews in the Holy City in sufficient numbers to reclaim the original Jewish Church of Jerusalem, to stop it being merely an artifical creation propped up and ruled by clergy imported from other lands?  Why do you think God has brought such numbers of Christian Jews to Israel from the old Soviet Union?

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?   Why should Jerusalem be ruled by non-Jews?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »

But personally, I'd rather see Christians on the throne of Jerusalem.

Well, obviously a religious Jew won't be on the throne but a Christian just like St. James the Just, St. Simeon, and the other ethnicly Jewish patriarchs who ruled the throne in the beginning of the Church. What do you think? How about a Palestinian? Would you have a problem with that? Does it have to be a Greek? Does the Greek flag need to fly in Palestine?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?   Why should Jerusalem be ruled by non-Jews?

Well, I also think that Palestinians also should be able to sit on the throne since it is also their home, not to mention that they make up the majority of Orthodox under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:06:48 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?   Why should Jerusalem be ruled by non-Jews?

Well, I also think that Palestinians also should be able to sit on the throne since it is also their home, not to mention that they make up the majority of Orthodox under the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.

The majority of the Patriarchate is now Jews.  These are the Christian Jews who have come from the former Soviet Union.

http://www.interfax-religion.ru/print.php?act=news&id=5819

Summary of article:

"Russian-speaking Orthodox believers today outnumber Orthodox Arabs in the Jerusalem Patriarchate -- according to Metropolitan Timothy, the Jerusalem patriarchate's Secretary General. Some statistics indicate 300,000 Russian Orthodox while others state no more than 150,000. In either case, they outnumber the Arab Orthodox faithful."
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

if you say so.

Nothing. I just think a Christian should be on the Throne of Jerusalem.

Are there any other Christian Jews in the Holy City in sufficient numbers to reclaim the original Jewish Church of Jerusalem, to stop it being merely an artifical creation propped up and ruled by clergy imported from other lands?  Why do you think God has brought such numbers of Christian Jews to Israel from the old Soviet Union?
So the Palestinians have no right to sit on the Throne of Jerusalem? Why not?

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?  
What makes you think that? I would be quite happy for any Roman to sit on the throne of Constantinople. This would include all the Balkans (the Romoi), the Arabs (the Rum), and anyone else who is a descendant of those St. Constantine the Great granted the title "Roman" to.

Why should Jerusalem be ruled by non-Jews?
Jerusalem should be ruled by Jews, the Throne of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem should be ruled by a Christian.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:31:54 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »

The majority of the Patriarchate is now Jews.  These are the Christian Jews who have come from the former Soviet Union.

Summary of article:

"Russian-speaking Orthodox believers today outnumber Orthodox Arabs in the Jerusalem Patriarchate -- according to Metropolitan Timothy, the Jerusalem patriarchate's Secretary General. Some statistics indicate 300,000 Russian Orthodox while others state no more than 150,000. In either case, they outnumber the Arab Orthodox faithful."

Forgive me if I'm not understanding the issues, but why should race and numbers play any part in the matter instead of the right person for the job; seeing as this situation is a mix of Jews and Palestinians in any case?

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?  
What makes you think that? I would be quite happy for any Roman to sit on the throne of Constantinople. This would include all the Balkans (the Romoi), the Arabs (the Rum), and anyone else who is a descendant of those St. Constantine the Great granted the title "Roman" to.

This is the stupidest theory I have ever heard. What about asking the poeple of the Balkans and the Levant if they wish to be considered "Romoi" or "Rum" ? Most of us from the area have history burned into our genes: we have not appreciated nor will we ever abide Hellenization in any of its forms. Let me say it more plainly: I like Greek people and food and dances; I just don't want to be Greek or speak Greek.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:29 PM »

[Nothing. I just think a Christian should be on the Throne of Jerusalem.
So you don't believe that the Russian Christian Jews in Israel are Christians?

Are there any other Christian Jews in the Holy City in sufficient numbers to reclaim the original Jewish Church of Jerusalem, to stop it being merely an artifical creation propped up and ruled by clergy imported from other lands?  Why do you think God has brought such numbers of Christian Jews to Israel from the old Soviet Union?

The reason there has been no Palestinian elected as Patriarch is because of a repressive Greek policy of making sure that any Arab vocations are channelled into the village priesthood, that no Arabs bceome monks and no Arabs make it into the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.   The Patriarchate and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre are virtually one and the same.

But there are been a dramatic shift in Orthodox demographics in the Holy Land.  The Russian Christian Jews now outnumber the Arab Orthodox.   They will not want to be shunted off into the village priesthood, they will not acept being excluded from the monastic life. They will not accept exclusion by the Greeks from the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.  In short there are much better odds of getting a Jewish Patriarch elected than an Arab.   One may hope that the example of the Christian Jews will bring fresh strength to the rather passive Arab Orthodox who have accepted the hegemony of the foreign Greeks for centuries.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2009, 09:48:41 PM »

Forgive me if I'm not understanding the issues, but why should race and numbers play any part in the matter instead of the right person for the job; seeing as this situation is a mix of Jews and Palestinians in any case?

I've made an attempt to answer this in the post above.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2009, 09:54:07 PM »

[Nothing. I just think a Christian should be on the Throne of Jerusalem.
So you don't believe that the Russian Christian Jews in Israel are Christians?
I just don't think Russian Christin Jews exist, unless they belong to one of the Messianic Jew sects.
All Orthodox Christians are Jews- they are the True Israel.

Are there any other Christian Jews in the Holy City in sufficient numbers to reclaim the original Jewish Church of Jerusalem, to stop it being merely an artifical creation propped up and ruled by clergy imported from other lands?  Why do you think God has brought such numbers of Christian Jews to Israel from the old Soviet Union?
The reason there has been no Palestinian elected as Patriarch is because of a repressive Greek policy of making sure that any Arab vocations are channelled into the village priesthood, that no Arabs bceome monks and no Arabs make it into the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.   The Patriarchate and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre are virtually one and the same.
Really? I must tell that to the Archbishop of Sebastia who is a Palestinian born in Gaza.

But there are been a dramatic shift in Orthodox demographics in the Holy Land.  The Russian Christian Jews now outnumber the Arab Orthodox.  
Hooray for Russian expansion into the Holy Land!

They will not want to be shunted off into the village priesthood, they will not acept being excluded from the monastic life. They will not accept exclusion by the Greeks from the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.  In short there are much better odds of getting a Jewish Patriarch elected than an Arab.   One may hope that the example of the Christian Jews will bring fresh strength to the rather passive Arab Orthodox who have accepted the hegemony of the foreign Greeks for centuries.
I realize how important race is for you. I hope your dream of the race you want to sit on the Throne of Jerusalem and Constantinople come true for you. I disagree though, because I'm a Christian in the Orthodox Church where there is neither Jew nor Greek...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:56:26 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:50 PM »

I just don't think Russian Christin Jews exist, unless they belong to one of the Messianic Jew sects.

So what term would you prefer for the Russian-speaking Jews who are Orthodox Christians and are Jews living in Israel.

All Orthodox Christians are Jews- they are the True Israel.

You're confusing replacement theology with nationality and geopraphy.   laugh

The reason there has been no Palestinian elected as Patriarch is because of a repressive Greek policy of making sure that any Arab vocations are channelled into the village priesthood, that no Arabs bceome monks and no Arabs make it into the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre.   The Patriarchate and the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre are virtually one and the same.
Really? I must tell that to the Archbishop of Sebastia who is a Palestinian born in Gaza.

And you know full well that his election was an exception and a sop offered to the Palestinians by the Greek Patriarchate.  The man is a horrible warmonger and should never have been made a bishop.  His encouragement of suicide bombers etc, is far from Christian.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »

And you know full well that his election was an exception and a sop offered to the Palestinians by the Greek Patriarchate.  The man is a horrible warmonger and should never have been made a bishop.  His encouragement of suicide bombers etc, is far from Christian.
I think you need to back up your defamatory claims about a Bishop of the Orthodox Church.
On second thoughts, don't bother. Anyone who thinks race should determine who should be a Bishop of the Church is hardly the kind of person I wan't to engage in discussion with.
Have a happy new year. I hope your race-based dreams come true for you.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »

I realize how important race is for you. I hope your dream of the race you want to sit on the Throne of Jerusalem and Constantinople come true for you. I disagree though, because I'm a Christian in the Orthodox Church where there is neither Jew nor Greek...

I'm an Irishman.

But there must be *some* difference between Greeks and Jews since we are told that Peter was sent to preach to the Jews and Paul to the Greeks.   Wink
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »

I think you need to back up your defamatory claims about a Bishop of the Orthodox Church.

Pshaw!  It was all over the Internet when Archimandrite Hanna expressed his approval of Palestinian suicide bombers killing Israelis.  Don't tell me the horrifed reaction from the Orthodox world was not heard in Australia.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »

Anyone who thinks race should determine who should be a Bishop of the Church is hardly the kind of person I wan't to engage in discussion with.

Race seems to have been the determining factor in who becomes a bishop in the Jerusalem Church for centuries past, and prior to that also in the Syrian Church (now called Antiochian Church.)    Did not your Church even go out of communion with the Antiochians when they refused to be ruled any longer by racially chosen Greek only bishops?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2009, 01:36:56 AM »

LOL! Cheesy

It has a Cross on it. It's all the same to the Jews.  The first thing I saw getting off the bus was swastikas all over the Episcopal church, and I was shown the bullet holes in the Greek chapel on the Mount of Olives.  Not clear at all, except anti-Christian.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »

if you say so.

You do not like the thought of the Church of Costantinople being ruled by non-Greeks?   Why should Jerusalem be ruled by non-Jews?
Because it is Palestinian.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2009, 01:46:12 AM »

Summary of article:

Only in Palestine. The Patriarchate also includes Jordan (and now seems to be claiming jurisdicion in Qatar), which has about 300,000 Arab Orthodox.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »

Pshaw!  It was all over the Internet when Archimandrite Hanna expressed his approval of Palestinian suicide bombers killing Israelis.  Don't tell me the horrifed reaction from the Orthodox world was not heard in Australia.
I think you are spending too much time on the internet. That's the problem.
He was arrested and interrogated by the Israelis and no charges were laid because the claims were false. It was plain and simple persecution of a Palestinian by the Israelis to try and prevent him being consecrated Bishop. Now if you have evidence to the contrary, kindly present it or post a public apology to Archbishop Theodosios for your libelous claim.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2009, 02:25:54 AM »

What about asking the poeple of the Balkans and the Levant if they wish to be considered "Romoi" or "Rum" ?
I don't have to sweetie:
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/YI/a/R/u/m/
In fact your own Patriarchate of Antioch calls itself "Rum Orthodox"
Apology accepted for your inane comment.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:36:15 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

Tags: Jerusalem 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: