OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a CD of Chant in Finnish Orthodox style  (Read 1665 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: December 29, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »

I am looking for a CD of Chants in the Finnish Orthodox Church, particularly if they have their own distinctive regional melodies and are in the Finnish language.  I am sure that any websites that would sell something like this will most likely not be in English, so any help with ordering instructions to the USA with any links to Finnish websites would be appreciated.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »

Since I haven't attended any non-Finnish Orthodox service I let the others answer whether there is any distinctly Finnish melodies. There is couple of examples of Finnish chant in Youtube. Listen for yourself and tell me whether they sound different to those of the MP.

I'll try to make some instructios for ordering later on. It's 11pm in Finland and I should still write an essay about comparative religion...

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »

Ask Robert W. He belonged to the Church of Finland

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:01:37 PM »

East Slavic Christmass carols in Finnish: http://www.ortodoksi.net/index.php/Julistaa_viestin_t%C3%A4ht%C3%B6nen_%28levy%29

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 06:45:42 AM »

I just realised that I've never ordered anything from abroad so I'm not the most qualified to instruct anyone to order something from Finland. For example I have pretty much no idea about the payment methods. That said I can link two pages where one could find at least some Finnish Orthodox chant. I guess one could also find it elsewhere ( parishes, straight from choirs, secular stores ) but I think those have the most largest selection I'm aware.

http://webtuohus.valamo.fi/

Click "Äänittee->" i.e. recordings on the upper left and then click to find all of the recordings the Monastery of New Valamo is selling. Click "2" and "3" at the bottom of the page to move to second and third page of the selection.  Most of them seem to be Finnish chant but not all. If you are unsure whether some recording is Finnish chant or not feel free to ask.

http://www.filokalia.fi/#kirkkomusiikki

That's an Orthodox Bookstore run by the St. Kosmas' Brotherhood which was mentioned in the infamous Gaycult thread. All of the recordings before Ulkomaiset CD-levyt -text are Finnish Orthodox chant.

Btw, they seem to have quite straightforwardly copied the idea of Orthodox bookstore from Frs. Serahpim Rose and Herman. I read Fr. Seraphim's biography on December and I began to wonder why an idea of their of bookstore sounded quite familiar. I guess St. Kosmas' brotherhood hasn't evolved into a monastery though. Tongue

Now how an Earth did found about that? I bought it about a week or so ago. This is about first time I hear Finnish Christmas carols which are Christian i.e. doesn't include worship of Santa Claus and elves and where the singers doesn't sound like that they are at brink of suicide. For some reason every Finnish piece of music seem to be melancholic regardless of how joyous the topic of the song was.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:58:12 AM by Alpo » Logged

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

Now how an Earth did found about that?

There was a newsreport about this carols on one of the Polish Orthodox sites. They were translated by a wife of a FOC Priest that was born and studied in Poland.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »

Many years ago, I had a copy from Ikon Records.  I'll look and see if I still have it and its still in playable form.  I got for Christmas a stereo system that will burn LPs and cassette tapes to CD.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »

Since I haven't attended any non-Finnish Orthodox service I let the others answer whether there is any distinctly Finnish melodies. There is couple of examples of Finnish chant in Youtube. Listen for yourself and tell me whether they sound different to those of the MP.

I just finished listening to the "I will bless the Lord at all times", and it is gorgeous. A very comforting rise and fall in the singing. Very similar to what we sing at our church, but not exactly. Beautiful!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tags: chant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: