OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling with atheists in my family  (Read 2450 times) Average Rating: 0
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« on: December 28, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »

Dear all,

Please pray for me. I have never really found my family to be anti-Christian before, but I had a big shock today. As a family we like to discuss and wrangle over issues and the debates can get heated, but it is almost always in the good 'academic debate' sense. Today my brother said, could he discuss 'this belief thing' with me. I was expecting to talk about theology, but he wanted to ask about why one might have faith. I thought that was a perfectly good question and I don't in the least want to proselytize to him, or anyone else in my family. In fact, he started off with 'So, you're a Christian?', and my dad seemed to think I wasn't certain of my faith.

Sadly, it became clear that both my brother and my dad simply wished to mock anything I said in support of Christianity. My brother in particular repeatedly said things like, 'Well, it's all a load of **** rubbish, of course, so **** that, but what I don't understand is why anyone would believe it'. He and my dad both insisted that, if Christianity were right, then Christians should never change their opinions (as in, we should adhere to every word of the Bible as it's written). I tried to explain that the Bible was only put together some time after Christ's death, and that intelligent people do consider their beliefs and make decisions about right and wrong. I know and accept that neither of them knows a great deal about theology or church history, but I was really upset by the tone of their arguments. I would even say that, had we been arguing about a book I loved that they hated, they would have been less rude than they were about this issue of my faith and their lack of faith.

I'm really in turmoil here, not wanting (of course) to alienate my family by forcing on them an expression of faith that only makes them more anti-Christian, but feeling shocked and hurt that they were so keen to mock and to tell me it was all 'rubbish'.

Please pray for me, and please pray that my family will come to better terms with my Christianity (and hopefully, with God).
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »

I hope that your family will come to be more respectful of your beliefs.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

I suggest spending more time with C.S. Lewis. Smiley

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Bear up, Liz, and simply pray for your family members. You don't have to convince them of your beliefs; and in the midst of mockery it's probably best not to even try because they really have no intention of listening. Debating under such circumstances will simply cause unpleasantness and escalate into a situation that is more hurtful than it needs to be. Accepting your differences in love and patience will do more than any arguing; even if you personally feel frustrated that you haven't had your say. Don't be hurt by their remarks; remember they are simply defending themselves against the threat of your faith in their midst. That alone is a challenge to their own paradigm.

A priest I once knew had a brilliant way of dealing with many kinds of *silly* conversations like this. He kept his replies to a simple "Ok"; and of course the person who was talking to him knew that he wasn't really agreeing with them, but giving them room to believe whatever they liked while he went on his way; to another conversation or simply to inner peace while the silliness continued without him.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »

Thankyou, all, and especially Riddikulus for the advice. I suppose it is such a shock because I have had very little experience of people being openly disrespectful of my beliefs, and because my dad and brother are so 'Christian' in the way that they act towards people. I did try to deflect the initial question because I find it hard to talk about faith to people who don't believe, but I think they really wanted to have a good go at mocking me out of my beliefs and would have ignored most attempts at deflection. Anyway ... so it goes.

Papist, you are right - C.S. Lewis it is!
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 09:16:51 PM »

True, when they mock, it's probably best not to say much, just pray for them, pass them books to read, mp3's to listen too

Like this one:
http://www.blip.tv/file/1075757/ (Conversation between Richard Dawkins and John Lennox) (I personally don't see anything wrong with blind faith, crying statues, and Icons, but I thought the conversation was good anyway, and this mp3 might help both your brother and Dad in understanding you......at least in some way.)

As well as DVD's to watch, and hopefully there will be another time to talk about such things in a much more civil and respectful way.

I can't speak for others, but some of us have experienced similar things as well. It's one thing for a highschool bio teacher to call you out in front of the other students, as well as a college professor, and childhood friends, but it's anotherthing when ones own family does it too. I bumped heads a few times with my step dad.

Just continue to pray for them, and try to be there when they need you, for people don't really care about how much you know untill they know how much you really care..........about them.

LORD Have Mercy

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:44:14 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:14:47 PM »

Liz,

I will be praying for you, my friend!

I am very much in the same boat. Absolutely everyone who is my relative or friend is an unbeliever. My fellow parishioners - maybe they aren't; but I do not really know them all that close; we never meet outside of the Divine Liturgies at our church, and, based on my Facebook conversations with a few of them, I have no idea, are they believers or not. My wife is an agnostic, as she always stresses, and my daughter is a militant atheist, and so is her husband and so seem to be her in-laws. My mother, who is almost 80 and who is my only surviving blood relative, is an unbeliever, too. I always feel like I am in a huge, immense, white, cold, frozen dezert of unbelief, covered with a thick, million-miles thick snow of unbelief. I am an active member and a section moderator on a Ukrainian web forum called "Maidan," - and there, too, I seem to be about the only person who tries to express belief in the Orthodox faith; in addition, there is one Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest and one absolutely crazy Monophysite Origenist, plus a number of unbelievers, many of whom always attack and mock and humiliate the Christian faith.

What can we do... I do not know. Perhaps just keep living the way we live.

G.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:15:13 PM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »

Liz,

I am very much in the same boat. Absolutely everyone who is my relative or friend is an unbeliever. My fellow parishioners - maybe they aren't; but I do not really know them all that close; we never meet outside of the Divine Liturgies at our church, and, based on my Facebook conversations with a few of them, I have no idea, are they believers or not. My wife is an agnostic, as she always stresses, and my daughter is a militant atheist, and so is her husband and so seem to be her in-laws. My mother, who is almost 80 and who is my only surviving blood relative, is an unbeliever, too. I always feel like I am in a huge, immense, white, cold, frozen dezert of unbelief, covered with a thick, million-miles thick snow of unbelief. I am an active member and a section moderator on a Ukrainian web forum called "Maidan," - and there, too, I seem to be about the only person who tries to express belief in the Orthodox faith; in addition, there is one Ukrainian Greek Catholic priest and one absolutely crazy Monophysite Origenist, plus a number of unbelievers, many of whom always attack and mock and humiliate the Christian faith.

G.
Lord have mercy.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »

Lord have Mercy.

May the Lord enlighten, strengthen and guide Liz as she deals with the turmoil in her life.

Amen!
philalethe00

Faith: Orthodox (Christian)
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church at Greece

Photios Kontoglou, Apostle of Orthodox Culture

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »

Lord, have mercy on your child...

Sis. Liz, these stories seem very familiar to me, as well, I confess.  laugh
But, I remember that every time that relatives of mine went to church and/or I prayed for them secretly, they, in an absolutely mystic way, changed their views and behaviour overnight!  Wink    All the "arguments" ...gone. So, maybe you should try this at home too... Smiley I am sure the Spirit will be with you, to empower and illumine your heart and intellect...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:12:39 PM by philalethe00 » Logged

"Look down from heaven, O Lord, upon those who bow their heads unto You, for they do not bow to flesh and blood, but to You, the awesome God".(D. Liturgy, St. John Chrysostom)
"When the world laughs, the saints, in crying, draw the Divine compassion onto humans."(Paul Evdokimov)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »

Liz,

G.
Lord have mercy.

Papist, dear friend, thank you for this, but I have to add that I am so much happier the way I am than if I were a relative (a husband?Huh? HuhHuhHuh) of an ardent member of an Ethiarmonestorioevangelicoorientocatholicotruebaptismomethodistomiachemite Church of the NewestAndReallyOnlyOneSavingCovenant who would engage with me in theological discussions about why would my children go to her church and not mine...

Love never fails.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »

Thankyou, all, and especially Riddikulus for the advice. I suppose it is such a shock because I have had very little experience of people being openly disrespectful of my beliefs, and because my dad and brother are so 'Christian' in the way that they act towards people. I did try to deflect the initial question because I find it hard to talk about faith to people who don't believe, but I think they really wanted to have a good go at mocking me out of my beliefs and would have ignored most attempts at deflection. Anyway ... so it goes.

Papist, you are right - C.S. Lewis it is!

Chesterton has also got a thing or too to say.

Btw, I don't know if it would help, but I was just talking to my son today about Sir Isaac Newton: here the founder pratically of modern science, and the vast perponderance of his writing was on religion and his theology.  In fact, he expressly states that his "science" is only as a tool for his theological studies.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:34 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I know this sounds counterproductive, but you also have to learn how and when not to debate. It is true that many reject Christianity because Christians are "jerks" or "evil"... but on the other hand, for many, the basics of belief are absolutely hateful.

Some wrongfully believe that science somehow "disproves" God... or some believe that a good, Almighty God would make life wonderful all the time. The thing is, the fact that people intuitively (and to an extent, due to experience) "know" that there is a way life should be points to a moral standard outside of human will. C.S. Lewis had the same basic argument--it is not a heavily "rational" argument, but there's a subjective element to conviction. At any rate, when I had my doubts, the strongest grounding principle was the argument from morality. I've tested time and again the limits of atheistic, non-transcendent standards of morality and in my estimation, they all fail/can easily be subverted.

As for the science thing, it is important to remember that science, or the scientific method, is not some kind of strange cult fetish that we must worship without question. It is an invention of man. And while this invention is something that has led to more inventions, like any other man made thing (like governments or the Church on earth) it is prone to be wrong sometimes and can sometimes be hijacked to serve someone's nefarious agenda.

Also, it's important to do your research on the historicity of Jesus and Biblical scholarship. Our faith is based on evidence; what we want to prove is that the evidence is not fake.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I know this sounds counterproductive, but you also have to learn how and when not to debate. It is true that many reject Christianity because Christians are "jerks" or "evil"... but on the other hand, for many, the basics of belief are absolutely hateful.

Some wrongfully believe that science somehow "disproves" God... or some believe that a good, Almighty God would make life wonderful all the time. The thing is, the fact that people intuitively (and to an extent, due to experience) "know" that there is a way life should be points to a moral standard outside of human will. C.S. Lewis had the same basic argument--it is not a heavily "rational" argument, but there's a subjective element to conviction. At any rate, when I had my doubts, the strongest grounding principle was the argument from morality. I've tested time and again the limits of atheistic, non-transcendent standards of morality and in my estimation, they all fail/can easily be subverted.

As for the science thing, it is important to remember that science, or the scientific method, is not some kind of strange cult fetish that we must worship without question. It is an invention of man. And while this invention is something that has led to more inventions, like any other man made thing (like governments or the Church on earth) it is prone to be wrong sometimes and can sometimes be hijacked to serve someone's nefarious agenda.

Also, it's important to do your research on the historicity of Jesus and Biblical scholarship. Our faith is based on evidence; what we want to prove is that the evidence is not fake.
The Orthodox Church on earth was founded in Heaven.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »

Lord Have Mercy ! Amen Amen..

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »

Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy!

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:56 AM »

Lord have mercy.
Remember to have fun with them. Nothing infuriates them more than you not retaliating and keeping an inner peace, just saying "uh huh" to everything and then going to Church!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 06:23:50 AM »

Lord have mercy.
Remember to have fun with them. Nothing infuriates them more than you not retaliating and keeping an inner peace, just saying "uh huh" to everything and then going to Church!
This certainly sounds like George. Smiley

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:40 AM »

So, you almost have 24/7 the chance to talk with atheists (who are, probably, ignorant of Christianity) and you don't get the chance to? Wink
As George said, trying having your fun. Without driving them mad, of course.

Lord, have mercy on your..."confessor". Wink

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:57 AM »

Liz, I just wanted to apologize for my yesterday's lengthy reply. It does not belong to this forum (or perhaps anywhere), because it was just venting. I will be praying for you.

Love never fails.
Liz
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

Liz, I just wanted to apologize for my yesterday's lengthy reply. It does not belong to this forum (or perhaps anywhere), because it was just venting. I will be praying for you.

Please don't apologize! I felt bad for you, and your situation is clearly tougher than mine, but all the same it helped a bit to know that someone else had the same difficulty. And we all need to vent sometimes!

God bless.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »

Lord have mercy on thy handmaiden!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

Just continue to pray for them, and try to be there when they need you, for people don't really care about how much you know untill they know how much you really care..........about them.

Probably one of the most important and intelligent things I've read in a long while.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 02:34:24 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 04:31:03 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Hang in there.  Like OzGeorge said, pick your battles.  You don't have to convince them or convert them.  Just be a see of calm and tranquility.

You are in my humble and unworthy prayers!

Amen.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Actually, this is good advice, because while you remain impervious to their attacks, they can backfire upon them. If your brother and father are left infuriated or frustrated by a meek and mild attitude to their attacks, the conversation will revisit them later. Then they are only faced with what they have said and done during such attacks. Often people are very bolshi during this kind of discussion, but afterward are left to ruminate (and be ashamed) over what they have done - especially if they have mocked a loved one. We shouldn't assume that people who aren't Christians are without a conscience. Stirring their conscience rather than feeding their anti-Christian agression is a much better path to take, IMO.

And of course, pray for them!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:00:47 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 12:25:47 AM »

That's a tough situation Liz, no doubt. Lord have mercy!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 04:33:15 AM »

Lord Have Mercy, Lord Have Mercy, Lord Have Mercy!

on your faithful servants who face religious persecution!  Lead, O Lord, your servant's family to your Holy, Catholic and Apostailc church!

*Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.*

*Blessed are you when men revile and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely and on My account. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in Heaven.*

AMEN!  GRANT IT, O LORD!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: