Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 130599 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #585 on: August 05, 2017, 02:31:46 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline ComingofAge

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #586 on: August 05, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
I haven't posted here in awhile, but I would like to add to this thread as I am an Orthodox Christian convert with quite a few tattoos (2 full sleeves, 2 on back, full chest piece, 6 on legs). Now, mind you, I got all my tattoos before becoming Orthodox. At this point, I don't want anymore. I don't know if it is because I am actually an Orthodox Christian now or because I have just lost the desire to get more, but I feel that the tattoos can be somewhat narcissistic and that doesn't help me when trying to walk a path of humility. That being said, I obviously don't judge others who have them because I have so many of course, and I wouldn't judge an Orthodox Christian who got one either, but I myself won't be getting anymore. For me, I feel I have enough already and there is no reason to get anymore. I feel like getting more would be pointless and would not be edifying in any way, even if they were Christian images. I have done enough damage to the temple to last me a lifetime :P. Again, no judgment to those who disagree with me, but these are just my personal convictions.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:10:31 PM by ComingofAge »
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen. +

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #587 on: August 05, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
Well, if Gabriel's at all like me, his 20 years ago is your 40 years ago. That said, oh yeah, the world was a lot saner in the mid-90s. There may have been the insanity we live with now in bands and in certain genres of movies, but, no, people didn't generally mutilate their bodies. You went to work and people had clothes on ... Children played in the streets ... It really was a different time.

Exactly.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #588 on: August 05, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »
I haven't posted here in awhile, but I would like to add to this thread as I am an Orthodox Christian convert with quite a few tattoos (2 full sleeves, 2 on back, full chest piece, 6 on legs). Now, mind you, I got all my tattoos before becoming Orthodox. At this point, I don't want anymore. I don't know if it is because I am actually an Orthodox Christian now or because I have just lost the desire to get more, but I feel that the tattoos can be somewhat narcissistic and that doesn't help me when trying to walk a path of humility. That being said, I obviously don't judge others who have them because I have so many of course, and I wouldn't judge an Orthodox Christian who got one either, but I myself won't be getting anymore. For me, I feel I have enough already and there is no reason to get anymore. I feel like getting more would be pointless and would not be edifying in any way, even if they were Christian images. I have done enough damage to the temple to last me a lifetime :P. Again, no judgment to those who disagree with me, but these are just my personal convictions.

It's completely different for those who already have them.  We've all got a past.   
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
« Reply #589 on: August 05, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »
In the Old Testament God tells us not to blemish our body. So I don't believe they're allowed.
IC XC
NI KA

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #590 on: August 05, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
What did the Council of Jerusalem decide?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »

Greeks didn't do that crap so it was a non-issue.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »

This is awesome! Is there a text associated with this tattoo? Would love to read more about it.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #593 on: August 06, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »

This is awesome! Is there a text associated with this tattoo? Would love to read more about it.

Presumably a record of how they exorcised and executed him.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John Maximovitch, pray for me!
« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »
Well awesome in the interesting sense then... ;)
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
« Reply #595 on: August 06, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »

Towards the bottom here https://tattoohistorian.com/2016/09/24/custom-tattoo-work-historical-improvisation/.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #596 on: August 07, 2017, 12:15:31 AM »

Towards the bottom here https://tattoohistorian.com/2016/09/24/custom-tattoo-work-historical-improvisation/.

I have to say this is a fascinating, fascinating article. Excellent research.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #597 on: August 09, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »

Greeks didn't do that crap so it was a non-issue.

That's right, Greeks were Puritans.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox....kind of
  • Jurisdiction: Not even a Catechumen, but OCA
« Reply #598 on: August 21, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »
I heard one SSPX priest give me a metaphor as to why it isn't proper and even sinful to get a tattoo, and I have held on to that interpretation since.

"Would you say that spray painting graffiti on a church building's exterior is morally acceptable, even if you graffiti an image of the Virgin Mary on the exterior? Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and we should honor the beauty with which God has given us - not ink it with our own artistic designs."

I wouldn't say that "this for sure is sinful" and tell a person to remove a tattoo if they want to receive Communion, but I wouldn't ever get a tattoo.

Plus, maybe I'm selfish, but I honestly don't find tattoos attractive.

I haven't bothered reading this thread all the way through, but if someone pointed it out, the Old Testament condemns tattoos - but one can argue that tattoos were used in conjunction with voodoo, which is the primary cause of its condemnation. The New Testament tends to be more silent on tattoos.

I personally disagree with voodoo being the ONLY reason it was condemned, but that is simply an opinion.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:05:21 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #599 on: August 25, 2017, 02:20:16 AM »
Voodoo?

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #600 on: August 25, 2017, 04:12:07 AM »

Love it! Pretty much resolves every thread on here. Kind of a substitute for "ask your priest." WWCJD?
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but Antioch and All the East
« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2017, 04:17:54 AM »
I wouldn't say that "this for sure is sinful" and tell a person to remove a tattoo if they want to receive Communion...

How magnanimous of you.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:14 AM »
I heard one SSPX priest give me a metaphor as to why it isn't proper and even sinful to get a tattoo, and I have held on to that interpretation since.

"Would you say that spray painting graffiti on a church building's exterior is morally acceptable, even if you graffiti an image of the Virgin Mary on the exterior? Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and we should honor the beauty with which God has given us - not ink it with our own artistic designs."

I wouldn't say that "this for sure is sinful" and tell a person to remove a tattoo if they want to receive Communion, but I wouldn't ever get a tattoo.

Plus, maybe I'm selfish, but I honestly don't find tattoos attractive.

I haven't bothered reading this thread all the way through, but if someone pointed it out, the Old Testament condemns tattoos - but one can argue that tattoos were used in conjunction with voodoo, which is the primary cause of its condemnation. The New Testament tends to be more silent on tattoos.

I personally disagree with voodoo being the ONLY reason it was condemned, but that is simply an opinion.

Yeah, graffiti on the outside of the temple is worse than the sinfulness happening on the inside of it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #603 on: August 25, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
^ As tho what one does to the outside doesn't come from the inside.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #604 on: August 25, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »
Take care of your temple.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »

My body is a pilgrimage center.  Come, all ye faithful!
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »

My body is a pilgrimage center.  Come, all ye faithful!

I'm not going to your "Prayer Tower" or whatever Oral Roberts wants to call it.

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:05 AM »
Voodoo?

From what I know (by Googling) the Old Testament condemns cutting images into one's flesh - but around that time period, as archaeological evidence suggests, the Canaanites would tattoo images of their favorite gods as a symbol of veneration - something which, given the historical context, is an argument given that at that time period that was what tattooing was primarily used for - paganism.

That's the view of those who believe that tattoos are okay, especially given the Mosaic works of the Law being abrogated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:15:46 AM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline LivenotoneviL

• Elder
« Reply #608 on: August 26, 2017, 01:20:27 AM »
I wouldn't say that "this for sure is sinful" and tell a person to remove a tattoo if they want to receive Communion...

How magnanimous of you.

Ok, too extreme. How about I wouldn't tell a person who has a tattoo is sinning.

I was trying to be hyperbolic.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2017, 02:00:31 AM »
Voodoo?

From what I know (by Googling) the Old Testament condemns cutting images into one's flesh - but around that time period, as archaeological evidence suggests, the Canaanites would tattoo images of their favorite gods as a symbol of veneration - something which, given the historical context, is an argument given that at that time period that was what tattooing was primarily used for - paganism.

That's the view of those who believe that tattoos are okay, especially given the Mosaic works of the Law being abrogated.

In Leviticus 19, it's clear that the Hebrews were to be a nation completely set apart from others in the Promised Land.  No cuttings for the dead and no marks.  In Leviticus 21, prohibition against cutting of the flesh is in the same context as shaving your head or corners of the beard.  If that is applicable, then the rest of Law should be as well.  Or can we pick and choose?

Anyway, I think cutting has more to do with self-mutilation in worship (or for the dead) as the Baal worshipers did in I Kings 18 when Elijah laid the holy smackdown on them.

Offline ComingofAge

« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

I see where you are going with that and I agree that we shouldn't tattoo ourselves, but think about how many images we have in the Church. The Church is full of images, so I don't think this is that great of an analogy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:27:11 AM by ComingofAge »
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen. +