Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 130254 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #405 on: April 21, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
Oh James... but the California flag is so goofy.

Seriously. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #406 on: April 21, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
When I was in high school I wanted to get a huge Master of Puppets album cover tat, but with "RIP CLIFF" rather than the album title. That would have been so sweet rad awesome cool amazing boss  ;D

(Ps. Sorry for the delay, William)
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #407 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
Wish I didn't have mine, my whole forearm is covered. My spiritual father has told me it's a sin but I did it before I was Orthodox. We are to be a light for non-Christians and I keep my tattoo covered at all times (even in the summer I wear long sleeve shirts) because I don't want others to fall into the sin of judgement because of something stupid I did in my youth. It's going to be a burden to me to never let anyone see it when I become a monk (God willing). I even asked my spiritual father if I should get it removed with a lazer but he told me "You are going to be worm food, do you want to spend  thousands of dollars on their dinner?"

I want to follow all the commandments of God, and it's clear about not getting tattoos.
That is probably the most awesome quote I have read in quite some time.  ;D
God bless!

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #408 on: May 22, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
There's a traditional form of tattooing done in Croatian Roman Catholic areas of Bosnia and Herzegovina.  I'm not sure if any Orthodox Christians in that area also did this.  But, the Catholic Slavs did it to try to protect their children from being taken by the Ottoman Muslims to be sent off to Turkey, and the women from being raped by the Ottomans.  And, to show that they were Christian if they were forced to convert to Islam. 

http://folklored.blogspot.com/2012/04/tattooing-of-croatian-women-in-bosnia.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_tattooing_in_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

Offline Nessima

« Reply #409 on: May 25, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
I have a white tattoo on my wrist.  Just one word "Pray".  It isn't very obvious but it is a constant reminder to myself.  I am coming from a Roman Catholic past and have been corresponding with a Priest in another town. There are no churches where we live.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #410 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
I've been wondering how to proceed with the cross on my left arm, which I'd like to have other similarly religious art with. I'm not really that big on praying hands and depictions of (saintly) people and all that, so I'm most likely just going to incorporate some other crosses, like...

...with some kind of background. I'm sort of locked in to some extent at this point by the size, shape, placement, etc. of the cross I already have.

Got some more done. Still working on it. Making progress. Sort of. Things got messed up as well. Meh. General idea, with more to be added later...

Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #411 on: November 19, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »
Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and are not our own to do with as we please. It was purchased at a great price, namely the sacrifice of the only begotten Son of God. We are to give glory to God with our bodies. Therefore, when God forbids tattoos or body piercing in the old testament, for us to believe in the trinity of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, then we must consider that it doesn't matter what year in modern times this is to God. Times may change and people may change, but to God the Father, Son Or Holy Spirit....He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Leviticus 19:28 states this plainly.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #412 on: November 19, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
There's a traditional form of tattooing done in Croatian Roman Catholic areas of Bosnia and Herzegovina.  I'm not sure if any Orthodox Christians in that area also did this.  But, the Catholic Slavs did it to try to protect their children from being taken by the Ottoman Muslims to be sent off to Turkey, and the women from being raped by the Ottomans.  And, to show that they were Christian if they were forced to convert to Islam. 

http://folklored.blogspot.com/2012/04/tattooing-of-croatian-women-in-bosnia.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_tattooing_in_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

They should never be forced to convert to Islam, as they should not convert.  I know its easy to say, but a tattoo would not "keep them Christian".  Their confession of faith be in pain or death would do this.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »
Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and are not our own to do with as we please. It was purchased at a great price, namely the sacrifice of the only begotten Son of God. We are to give glory to God with our bodies. Therefore, when God forbids tattoos or body piercing in the old testament, for us to believe in the trinity of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, then we must consider that it doesn't matter what year in modern times this is to God. Times may change and people may change, but to God the Father, Son Or Holy Spirit....He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Leviticus 19:28 states this plainly.
Good point. That is why I don't wear clothes and shamefully attempt to cover God's temple.
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
I'm planning my next tattoo of the Jesus Prayer in its original language on my left lower arm.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #415 on: November 19, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
So is the consensus of the forum the following -

"God told us not to get tattoos."
"We don't have to listen to God."
"It doesn't matter if its in the bible."
"Tattoos are okay."
?

This isn't the EO church I remember.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #416 on: November 19, 2014, 10:59:43 PM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

I this is more like this:

"Yesh thinks God told us not to get tattoos."
"We don't have to listen to Yesh"
"It isn't actually in the Bible"
"I am more interested in my own self than what someone else puts on their body."
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #417 on: November 20, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »
I'm planning my next tattoo of the Jesus Prayer in its original language on my left lower arm.

Aramaic?

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #418 on: November 24, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

"I am more interested in my own self than what someone else puts on their body."

I'm curious why you say it is not in the bible. ?  I cited the scripture.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #419 on: November 24, 2014, 01:17:03 AM »
They should never be forced to convert to Islam, as they should not convert.  I know its easy to say, but a tattoo would not "keep them Christian".  Their confession of faith be in pain or death would do this.

And you're speaking from all of your first-hand experience as a Christian minority in an Islamic country where you fear that your children could be kidnapped, forcibly converted, and raised Muslim in a Muslim family at any time? If only they had you as their example, they wouldn't even need that Jesus guy.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #420 on: November 24, 2014, 01:27:10 AM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

Ok, to clarify, there is a reference to it under the Law given to the Jews, which as St. Peter and the Council in Jerusalem determined, doesn't apply to us. Unless, of course, you want to condemn people for trimming their beards as well like says in the verse before.

Lev 19:27; "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. "

Or a bit earlier in the chapter where it condemns interbreeding cattle, sowing two kinds of seed in the field and mixing fabrics.

Lev 19:19; "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #421 on: November 24, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
I'm getting the book of Leviticus on my back in Hebrew.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »

And you're speaking from all of your first-hand experience as a Christian minority in an Islamic country where you fear that your children could be kidnapped, forcibly converted, and raised Muslim in a Muslim family at any time? If only they had you as their example, they wouldn't even need that Jesus guy.

No, you are speaking from an angle of attack.  The Jesus clearly tells us that whoever denies Christ he will deny us before his father in heaven.  The bible clearly tells us not to get tattoos.

See all you are doing is demonizing what I said because I don't have experience in religious persecution.  You are coming at me from an angle of "like you know what its like".   No I don't know what it's like.  OK.  All I have is what the bible tells me, and all I see is people disobeying the commands of the bible in order to replace the chance of their denial of Christ under torture and death.... At which point, if they deny, I don't see what good a tattoo will do them anyway.

So ultimately, you have no point - other than to negate the fact I've never been persecuted (under torture/death) for religious reasons.   

I will tell you, even if I was, I would never believe a tattoo would save me if I denied God.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #423 on: November 24, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
So who wants to pay for the laser surgery to remove the two dainty tattoos I got (both with religious themes) before I became Orthodox?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

Ok, to clarify, there is a reference to it under the Law given to the Jews, which as St. Peter and the Council in Jerusalem determined, doesn't apply to us. Unless, of course, you want to condemn people for trimming their beards as well like says in the verse before.

Lev 19:27; "You shall not round off the side-growth of your heads nor harm the edges of your beard. "

Or a bit earlier in the chapter where it condemns interbreeding cattle, sowing two kinds of seed in the field and mixing fabrics.

Lev 19:19; "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Are you arguing with me or God?

The law to the Jews has a lot of intertwining with Christianity, more than you think, and more than what your church says.

Otherwise 1 John 3:4 would not apply and you could not sin.
"Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

Paul's writings are difficult to understand - even to Peter.
2 Peter 3:16
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

And just by the way, the council of Jerusalem - every time the word "law" was written, it didn't always mean the law of the Jews.

No, I am not saying we are under the law of the Jews, I am saying that there is a gray area.

You follow the 10 commandments right?  Yep, that's law.

The letters of Paul left a gray area, such as saying "to those who think something is unclean, it is unclean to them".   (but otherwise all things CAN be clean).   Do you eat dog?  Didn't think so..... It left room to spread Jesus Christ through the nations.  In Vietnam, people eat dog.  They don't see it as dirty of gross.  It's clean to them.  Unclean to most of us....  Same with circumcision.  The words clearly spell out this gray area.

Clearly in the New Testament, it talks about your body being the temple of the Holy Spirit.  This means it was designed by God exactly the way he wanted it.   To go modify it with a tattoo (of your choice of course) doesn't seem to go with the flow of the New or Old Testament.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #425 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
My computer mouse has a laser.  You can pay me 100 bucks for it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #426 on: November 24, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

The law to the Jews has a lot of intertwining with Christianity, more than you think, and more than what your church says.

"Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

And just by the way, the council of Jerusalem - every time the word "law" was written, it didn't always mean the law of the Jews.

No, I am not saying we are under the law of the Jews, I am saying that there is a gray area.

The letters of Paul left a gray area, such as saying "to those who think something is unclean, it is unclean to them".   (but otherwise all things CAN be clean).   Do you eat dog?  Didn't think so..... It left room to spread Jesus Christ through the nations.  In Vietnam, people eat dog.  They don't see it as dirty of gross.  It's clean to them.  Unclean to most of us....  Same with circumcision.  The words clearly spell out this gray area.

Clearly in the New Testament, it talks about your body being the temple of the Holy Spirit.  This means it was designed by God exactly the way he wanted it.   To go modify it with a tattoo (of your choice of course) doesn't seem to go with the flow of the New or Old Testament.
I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm pointing out your fallacious ideas and God hasn't brought the topic up to me, so no argument there. Since our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, have you deformed it by trimming your beard? And further, if there is a gray area, then why are you condemning brothers and sisters in Christ who have tattoos over something that is a gray area? Shouldn't you be more concerned about looking into the gray area of whether the cattle on your farm has been interbred? That has far more direct implications to you than someone elses tattoos.
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #427 on: November 24, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »

Having seen the figure of the Cross in the heavens, and like Paul not having received his call from men, O Lord, Your apostle among rulers, the Emperor Constantine, has been set by Your hand as ruler over the Imperial City that he preserved in peace for many years, through the prayers of the Theotokos, O only lover of mankind.

Source

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #428 on: November 24, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
Do you follow the OT law to the letter, Yesh? And I mean everything.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #429 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »

No, you are speaking from an angle of attack.  The Jesus clearly tells us that whoever denies Christ he will deny us before his father in heaven.  The bible clearly tells us not to get tattoos.

See all you are doing is demonizing what I said because I don't have experience in religious persecution.  You are coming at me from an angle of "like you know what its like".   No I don't know what it's like.  OK.  All I have is what the bible tells me, and all I see is people disobeying the commands of the bible in order to replace the chance of their denial of Christ under torture and death.... At which point, if they deny, I don't see what good a tattoo will do them anyway.

So ultimately, you have no point - other than to negate the fact I've never been persecuted (under torture/death) for religious reasons.   

I will tell you, even if I was, I would never believe a tattoo would save me if I denied God.

A new commandment I give to you: that you love one another, as I have loved you. (Jn. 13:34)

Knowing that man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ; we also believe in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. (Galatians 2:16)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #430 on: November 24, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

What does eating dog in Vietnam have to do with anything?  ???

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #431 on: November 24, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
What if it's a really modest tattoo?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #432 on: November 24, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »
Then you only modestly burn in hell.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »

Ok, good.  I'm getting a little flower on my middle finger.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

The tattoo on my shoulder is a flower which can represent the Virgin Mary (which is why I chose it). I'm sure Yesh can find several issues with THAT tattoo.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:42:15 PM by kelly »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »

The tattoo on my shoulder is a flower which can represent the Virgin Mary (which is why I chose it). I'm sure Yesh can find several issues with THAT tattoo.
Stop worshiping Mary.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #436 on: November 24, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »

Shoulder flesh.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #437 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »
Half a lifetime ago, I got a tattoo on my stomach. Guess I have to go for removal now. Ouch. You can't even see it 'cause I wear shirts. Oops though.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #438 on: November 24, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »

"If your finger offend thee, cut it off for it it better to enter into heaven with 9 fingers than to be cast into hell because of a flower tattoo on your middle finger."

Wait, if I cut off a finger because of a tattoo, is that considered additional mutilation of the body or an attempt to rid the body of mutiliation?  Perhaps Yesh has a Bible verse on that.  ;)
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #439 on: November 24, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »

Stop worshiping Mary.

Sorry, I can't hear you, I'm busy baking her some raisin cakes.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #440 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »

Stop worshiping Mary.

May her face appear on all the cakes.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »

Stop worshiping Mary.

Aren't you still hacking up a lung from your never-ending illness?  I don't think Mary wants your virus infested raisin cakes.  >:(
God bless!

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2014, 02:49:21 PM »

Stop worshiping Mary.

Aren't you still hacking up a lung from your never-ending illness?  I don't think Mary wants your virus infested raisin cakes.  >:(

HEY HEY HEY. The whole forum doesn't need to know I'm dying of consumption.  >:(

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »

"If your finger offend thee, cut it off for it it better to enter into heaven with 9 fingers than to be cast into hell because of a flower tattoo on your middle finger."

Wait, if I cut off a finger because of a tattoo, is that considered additional mutilation of the body or an attempt to rid the body of mutiliation?  Perhaps Yesh has a Bible verse on that.  ;)

You get someone else to cut it off......they are carrying out God's will....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »

Stop worshiping Mary.

HEY HEY HEY. The whole forum doesn't need to know I'm dying of consumption.  >:(
Some Laudanum might help.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »

All praise and glory be to YIM, who rightly divides the word of truth and exemplifies it.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #446 on: November 24, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
The letters of Paul left a gray area, such as saying "to those who think something is unclean, it is unclean to them".   (but otherwise all things CAN be clean).   Do you eat dog?  Didn't think so..... It left room to spread Jesus Christ through the nations.  In Vietnam, people eat dog.  They don't see it as dirty of gross.  It's clean to them.  Unclean to most of us....  Same with circumcision.  The words clearly spell out this gray area.

Clearly in the New Testament, it talks about your body being the temple of the Holy Spirit.  This means it was designed by God exactly the way he wanted it. To go modify it with a tattoo (of your choice of course) doesn't seem to go with the flow of the New or Old Testament.

I am not Vietnamese but as someone from the same region as Vietnam, I can confirm that they do indeed consume Dog meat. Same as in China and if I'm not mistaken, Korea. But there's more unclean stuff than dog meat that is consumed in the Asian Continent such as the penises of various animals(I'm not making this up, I nearly ate one during a trip to China until my mom told me what it was), pig blood(It has the consistency of pudding and is chocolate in color), various insects( I consumed some of these delicacies on some occasions such as bee larvae in Taiwan and the larvae of some beetle from where I came from), shellfish(Prawns, crabs, jellyfish and anything from the sea without scales), turtles, frogs, snakes....etc

Odd that you have to pick the humble dog meat of all the other odd and "unclean" stuff that inhabitants of the Asian continent consume. I mean why not ask whether we eat the penis of some animal or coagulated wobbly pig blood. Dog meat is simply too ordinary to be mentioned.

Just to be clear I never consumed dog meat throughout my entire life. I can't say the same for the various non scaled creatures of the sea, pig's blood, turtles, frogs, insects...etc though.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:34:33 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #447 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
If "You shall not make a mark upon your body" means no tattoos, how does Yesh explain circumcision?

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2014, 12:19:25 AM »

"Tattoos are okay."
?

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm pointing out your fallacious ideas and God hasn't brought the topic up to me, so no argument there. Since our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, have you deformed it by trimming your beard? And further, if there is a gray area, then why are you condemning brothers and sisters in Christ who have tattoos over something that is a gray area? Shouldn't you be more concerned about looking into the gray area of whether the cattle on your farm has been interbred? That has far more direct implications to you than someone elses tattoos.

Great example.  YES we watch for animals to not inbreed.  It weakens them, often creates genetic funkiness, and causes problems.  It's considered a no-no, and you can't register inbred animals.   While it is not the "law", it's good not to do it.  The benefits of following the law in this matter is great.   We can see a full reasoning behind this.   

A body, being the temple, we should see it the same way.  This doesn't compare with a beard - they grow back.  Tats are rather permanent (unless you are a more or less wealthier person who can have them removed).

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #449 on: November 25, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »

A new commandment I give to you: that you love one another, as I have loved you. (Jn. 13:34)

Knowing that man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ; we also believe in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. (Galatians 2:16)

As I said, it is a gray area, not black or white.

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Romans 7:12
So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Romans 7:16
And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.

1 John 3:4
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

***Remember not always when Paul speaks of "law" does he refer to the law of the OT (Torah).   Such as in Romans 7:25 So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[d] a slave to the law of sin.

Paul is difficult to understand.  While I agree that the law is not necessary for salvation, it's a good idea to follow the law.  Do you really think God wants tattoos on your body? Think about it.

For me the law is a gray area.  Clearly many New Testament situations involved the law (Torah).  It seems more flexible though, so all gentiles could be brought to God.   Circumcision was not banned for instance, neither was people finding certain foods unclean.