Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 137274 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #360 on: April 15, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
This'll probably rusty the jimmies of a few anti-tattoo proponents on here.

I'm already considering my second tattoo. I want to get a California flag on my left shoulder to impress the women in North Carolina with :)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #361 on: April 15, 2014, 05:17:46 PM »
It's a -discussion- board...not a refution board..

but -failing- to express your actual personal opinion....you are failing to discuss.

You appear to believe somehow that this is an effective way of participating here...quite likely in the vein of 'I shall show them their errors of logic'

What you fail to realise, is that by not expressing a choice...you don't -fail- to choose...you still choose...

'"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

It's not my problem if you can't stand to be challenged on your point of view, Denise, or even have your POV refuted, but that's often what discussion needs to be.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #362 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »

I'm already considering my second tattoo. I want to get a California flag on my left shoulder to impress the women in North Carolina with :)

Gonna need to put it on your face for any lady to see it.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #363 on: April 15, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »

I really want to see the quality of the women that would be impressed by that tattoo.  It would be a scream.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

I really want to see the quality of the women that would be impressed by that tattoo.  It would be a scream.

it would be a scream...or they would be screaming?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »

:-X :)
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

Screaming at him to please marry them because they're so impressed by a tattoo of a state flag!

It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »

Screaming at him to please marry them because they're so impressed by a tattoo of a state flag!

Well it is California..... :D

oh wait...that will have the opposite effect...in about 49 states.  :laugh:

Might want to consider getting some other state's flag....

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »

So they can have his legitimate babies. :angel:
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #369 on: April 15, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »

Doesn't matter as long as she's physically attractive. I'm no catch either  ;)

California has prestige. There's bound to be more than a few rural Southern women who'd be impressed by this strange, cultured man from a land of exotic wonder.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #370 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

Not just any State

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #371 on: April 15, 2014, 07:42:47 PM »

That's only if the vasectomy fails

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #372 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »

California has prestige. There's bound to be more than a few rural Southern women who'd be impressed by this strange, cultured man from a land of exotic wonder.

Don't fool yourself into believing this rubbish.

As a Californian who has lived in 5 other states and 2 countries......it is not true.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #373 on: April 15, 2014, 08:04:36 PM »

Those are likely to have brothers with shotguns, too. Not to mention cooler tattoos.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:05:12 PM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #374 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
There's bound to be more than a few rural Southern women who'd be impressed by this strange, cultured man from a land of exotic wonder.

What's his name?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:45 PM »

Only if the bear in the CA state flag is holding a package of Mentos.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2014, 02:40:30 AM »

That's only if the vasectomy fails

tattoos > pork > vasectomies

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2014, 02:49:02 AM »

but -failing- to express your actual personal opinion....you are failing to discuss.

You appear to believe somehow that this is an effective way of participating here...quite likely in the vein of 'I shall show them their errors of logic'

What you fail to realise, is that by not expressing a choice...you don't -fail- to choose...you still choose...

'"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

It's not my problem if you can't stand to be challenged on your point of view, Denise, or even have your POV refuted, but that's often what discussion needs to be.

Another fail, PtA.

You did not refute Denise's POV, you simply gave a vague "I don't find Denise's answers to my questions satisfactory, so I'm not answering her questions", with no further clarification as to why you found them unsatisfactory.

You expect, and very often demand, that everyone else provides analyses of their opinions and positions, yet you scurry away when someone asks the same of you.  :P ::)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:50:27 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2014, 03:43:56 AM »

Another fail, PtA.

You did not refute Denise's POV, you simply gave a vague "I don't find Denise's answers to my questions satisfactory, so I'm not answering her questions", with no further clarification as to why you found them unsatisfactory.

You expect, and very often demand, that everyone else provides analyses of their opinions and positions, yet you scurry away when someone asks the same of you.  :P ::)
The fail is yours, LBK, for my words were not a specific claim that I was trying to refute Denise on this thread. Read my post again and you will see that I spoke only in general terms of what is often necessary in a discussion.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2014, 04:32:37 AM »

Another fail, PtA.

The fail is yours, LBK, for my words were not a specific claim that I was trying to refute Denise on this thread. Read my post again and you will see that I spoke only in general terms of what is often necessary in a discussion.

Here are your own words:

You're still arguing that images of mass murderers should cause offense as if this is some kind of given. That doesn't answer my fundamental question: Why?

Denise's response to this:

If you are not offended and cannot see why we should all be offended by the glorification of mass murderers and serial killers.....then I am afraid that I will be praying for you for a long time.

Your response:

When you won't explain why we should find such artwork offensive except by repeating your same old assertion, then yes it is excessive and unwarranted dogmatism.

You allege "excessive and and unwarranted dogmatism", yet make no effort to explain what this is, exactly. You've cast out this line many a time before, a tactic which does nothing to illuminate or further the discussion, but one which attempts to shut it down. This is certainly not a "refutation" of anything, just a personal opinion.

You're trying to call the shots, expecting us to play by your rules, yet you make no effort in explaining yourself. Like I said before, you're treating this place as your own intellectual playground, with littlel interest in actually participating in it as the rest of us try to do.

Your comment of

I don't find Denise's answers to my questions satisfactory, so I'm not answering her questions. If that bothers her, let her take that up with me.

well and truly let the cat out of the bag.

Sorry, PtA, your petty semantic games won't wash.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:33:22 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:52 AM »

Another fail, PtA.

Here are your own words:

You're still arguing that images of mass murderers should cause offense as if this is some kind of given. That doesn't answer my fundamental question: Why?

Denise's response to this:

If you are not offended and cannot see why we should all be offended by the glorification of mass murderers and serial killers.....then I am afraid that I will be praying for you for a long time.

Your response:

When you won't explain why we should find such artwork offensive except by repeating your same old assertion, then yes it is excessive and unwarranted dogmatism.
LBK, you can't even mix and match responses correctly to construct the conversation you wish happened, for my "second" response above was NOT a direct response to Denise's response.

You allege "excessive and and unwarranted dogmatism", yet make no effort to explain what this is, exactly.
Because Denise never asked me to. You aren't Denise.

You've cast out this line many a time before, a tactic which does nothing to illuminate or further the discussion, but one which attempts to shut it down. This is certainly not a "refutation" of anything, just a personal opinion.
Just as that statement is merely your personal opinion.

You're trying to call the shots, expecting us to play by your rules, yet you make no effort in explaining yourself.
Why should I, especially when you use the same tactic of expecting everyone to play by your rules and making no effort to explain yourself when you are asked to do so? Hoisted by your own petard?

Like I said before, you're treating this place as your own intellectual playground, with littlel interest in actually participating in it as the rest of us try to do.
You're the only one who tries to participate the way you do, so please don't speak for "the rest of us". I play devil's advocate from time to time to elicit discussion. You use the tactics of scolding to control discussion and squelch that discussion which you don't like. See the difference?

Your comment of

I don't find Denise's answers to my questions satisfactory, so I'm not answering her questions. If that bothers her, let her take that up with me.

well and truly let the cat out of the bag.
Then let Denise speak for herself.

Sorry, PtA, your petty semantic games won't wash.
Maybe not with you, but they're not petty semantic games to me. If you don't like that, then maybe you can try playing by the rules rather than try to change the rules to suit your personal tastes.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:24 AM »
I am not even going to bother to play the let's quote and then we can rip apart tinier and tinier pieces game.

Saying you play devils advocate on occasion, is an understatement. That is ALL you ever do. Since it frees you from having to express anything personal. 'Oh I was just trying to get YOU to think'

Here is the thing. That does work here and there. But when that becomes your only opinion, even when asked what yours is, it serves no purpose save that of making sure you can just swap and say 'oh that's not my actual opinion' when someone calls you out about something you say.

That's such a large cop out. 

Earlier you accused me of not liking my opinions questioned. Funny that my posting history even as recently as yesterday includes a 'oh I was wrong about that part then, I apologize' statement.
Does that sound like a real issue dealing with being wrong?

Contrast that with your response when asked to actually opine. 'Nuh huh, I don't have to' and then you go back to accusing others and hope no one notices the lack of actual opinions and things shared.

Opine or get off the pot

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:17 AM »

That makes sense coming from a Californian.  Prestige in relation to what?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:11 AM »

It doesn't.

That's a mental picture of hype.

Anyhow, I remembered where I saw Bear Flag (CA) tattoos recently!
First was on a guy who pumped my gas in Oregon. Just about the worse place to have your CA-ness showing on the west coast.

Second was up here in WA, one of the guys at the drive through window at Taco Time has one too!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:13 AM »

It doesn't.

That's a mental picture of hype.

Anyhow, I remembered where I saw Bear Flag (CA) tattoos recently!
First was on a guy who pumped my gas in Oregon. Just about the worse place to have your CA-ness showing on the west coast.

Second was up here in WA, one of the guys at the drive through window at Taco Time has one too!

Having a Canadian flag tattoo would be more exotic.  But I have seen far more people with a Canadian flag tattoo, rather than folks with a California flag tattoo.  Actually, I've never seen anyone with a CA flag tattoo, or even the bear and star.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:25 AM »
Taco Time

That sounds wonderful.  Is it?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Taco Time

Should I resurrect that thread, too?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Taco Time

It is.. it's fast food, but all locally sourced ingredients.  They have a plain bean burrito that often makes a quick Friday dinner for me (my catechisis classes used to be on Friday, so i was always rushing)

The only thing i would change about them...is the odd NW tendency to serve tater tots instead of fries...  a burrito and tater tots?   :-\

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
Taco Time

It is.. it's fast food, but all locally sourced ingredients.  They have a plain bean burrito that often makes a quick Friday dinner for me (my catechisis classes used to be on Friday, so i was always rushing)

The only thing i would change about them...is the odd NW tendency to serve tater tots instead of fries...  a burrito and tater tots?   :-\

Mmmm, tater tots.  But, is it normal to serve fries with a burrito?  That's a new one.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #389 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

Two things about this....

if you keep referring to them as rural and all the other 'fun' things you keep calling them.....you are going to end up nutless in NC.

secondly...when a 19 year old says 'strange cultured man'   I can only think you must be slightly soured ...like yogurt.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
Taco Time

Mmmm, tater tots.  But, is it normal to serve fries with a burrito?  That's a new one.

if you order a combo...

either way...the tater tot as a potato side dish...is quite odd to me..and it happens all the time up here...

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
Taco Time

if you order a combo...

either way...the tater tot as a potato side dish...is quite odd to me..and it happens all the time up here...

Still...pseudo-Mexican food with fries....tasty, but strange.  That'd be like going to In-and-Out Burgers and getting chips and queso dip with your burger.  Good, just odd.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #392 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
Taco Time

if you order a combo...

Still...pseudo-Mexican food with fries....tasty, but strange.  That'd be like going to In-and-Out Burgers and getting chips and queso dip with your burger.  Good, just odd.

oh...now you have gone and done it.....just had to mention the in-and-out now didn't you?    ::)

That's the thing that makes me the most sad when living exiled  elsewhere.....

I may have to stop talking to you for 10 min in protest!

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #393 on: April 16, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
Taco Time

if you order a combo...

oh...now you have gone and done it.....just had to mention the in-and-out now didn't you?    ::)

Hey, I got to taste those glorious burgers once, but there are none of those near where I live.  Although there are a few good burger joints.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #394 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
Taco Time

if you order a combo...

Hey, I got to taste those glorious burgers once, but there are none of those near where I live.  Although there are a few good burger joints.

now there is a tattoo i could get behind....Double double and fries...;)

I actually know precisely where the last In-and-Out heading North out of Cali is...I stop each and every time I drive back up...breakfast time...no worries...I wait... :P

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #395 on: April 16, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Animal style for me...caramelized onions are tops.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #396 on: April 16, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »

oh fancy words...you don't actually order them like that....?

the word...is grilled.

Grilled Onions.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #397 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »

the word...is grilled.

Grilled Onions.

I saw a cardboard cutout ad in McDonalds yesterday that said it had caramelized onions on its new sandwich  :angel:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #398 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

the word...is grilled.

Grilled Onions.

I saw a cardboard cutout ad in McDonalds yesterday that said it had caramelized onions on its new sandwich  :angel:

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

In-and-out is NOT McDonalds...I don't care if MCD wants to pretend to be fancy....

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #399 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

the word...is grilled.

Grilled Onions.

Umm, it is called "grilled", but I've had grilled onions and Animal Style's onions are not merely "grilled".  Those suckers are chopped and, yes, caramelized almost to a paste.  YummY!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »
I am not even going to bother to play the let's quote and then we can rip apart tinier and tinier pieces game.

Saying you play devils advocate on occasion, is an understatement. That is ALL you ever do. Since it frees you from having to express anything personal. 'Oh I was just trying to get YOU to think'
Denise, when will you actually believe what I tell you about myself rather than what you want to believe about me?

Here is the thing. That does work here and there. But when that becomes your only opinion, even when asked what yours is, it serves no purpose save that of making sure you can just swap and say 'oh that's not my actual opinion' when someone calls you out about something you say.

Earlier you accused me of not liking my opinions questioned.
You do know what the word "IF" means? I did not accuse you of not liking your opinions questioned.

Funny that my posting history even as recently as yesterday includes a 'oh I was wrong about that part then, I apologize' statement.

Contrast that with your response when asked to actually opine. 'Nuh huh, I don't have to' and then you go back to accusing others and hope no one notices the lack of actual opinions and things shared.

Opine or get off the pot
I've not seen you make a legitimate request that I share my opinion, Denise. I tried to elicit from you further clarification of your opinion, which is a legitimate thing to do in a discussion, and you chose to deflect my questioning by asking me for my opinion. That's not a legitimate way to answer a question asked of you. I share my opinions when I want to, not when someone makes a demand for my opinion in an attempt to deflect hard questions of their opinion.

If you don't want to answer further questions about your point of view, that's fine. I won't push it any farther.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »

Denise, when will you actually believe what I tell you about myself rather than what you want to believe about me?

Earlier you accused me of not liking my opinions questioned.
You do know what the word "IF" means? I did not accuse you of not liking your opinions questioned.

Funny that my posting history even as recently as yesterday includes a 'oh I was wrong about that part then, I apologize' statement.

Opine or get off the pot
I've not seen you make a legitimate request that I share my opinion, Denise. I tried to elicit from you further clarification of your opinion, which is a legitimate thing to do in a discussion, and you chose to deflect my questioning by asking me for my opinion. That's not a legitimate way to answer a question asked of you. I share my opinions when I want to, not when someone makes a demand for my opinion in an attempt to deflect hard questions of their opinion.

If you don't want to answer further questions about your point of view, that's fine. I won't push it any farther.

Honestly...you are not worth the green dot I would get for saying what I think of your -style- or tactics or whatever you think what you do is. I do hope it makes you pleased and that you enjoy your little sport.

Have a wonderful Pascha.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Νέος Άνκορεϊτζίτης
  • High Elder
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist ("Double-Crossers")
« Reply #402 on: April 21, 2014, 05:31:52 AM »
Photo of Tsar St. Nicholas' forearm dragon tattoo:

I'm no fan of tattoos myself but that's pretty cool.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #403 on: April 21, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Photo of Tsar St. Nicholas' forearm dragon tattoo:

I'm no fan of tattoos myself but that's pretty cool.

It was apparently very colorful and detailed. It was done in Japan.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #404 on: April 21, 2014, 02:33:53 PM »

Oh James... but the California flag is so goofy.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.