Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 137276 times)

Offline Cackles

• Elder
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #270 on: April 03, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
I personally have no issue with tattoos.  Most of the tattooed people I know got them for vanity's sake; I can't really appreciate that.  For those that have an attached meaning to their tattoo and if the artist's work is really good,  I can appreciate it.  I have never been tattooed, but who knows? 

God has an issue with tattoo's as your directly commanded not to tattoo your body.
The above post is intended for discussion purposes and is comprised of my personal opinion.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
This thread is a great example of the discordant cacophony that frequently breaks out online when certain questions of a personal nature are best discussed between a lay believer and his or her parish priest or, for some, their spiritual father.

I have an opinion, and I will not share it here as I am neither your priest nor your spiritual father.

Ask your priest or spiritual father. Consider carefully his advice. Feel free to ask him why if you disagree. Ask if there are pastoral consequences should you freely choose not follow his guidance.  If you must, seek out another priest or monk to further discuss the matter. Go back to the first one if needed.  After that, pray on it and using your God given free will - decide. Then deal with your decision. The church is not a democracy and our opinions are irrelevant, they won't validate a poor choice nor will they (unfortunately perhaps) trump bad pastoral or familial advice.

I'm not going to ask my priest, because even if it is frowned upon by many clergy, it's clearly nothing that would require an excommunication or spiritual discipline. It's never mentioned in canons or the New Testament, and whenever you see them in church tradition and history they're never condemned. Most of the arguments against them do not convince me, and I have freedom in Christ if my conscience does not convict me. If I had doubt I would ask my priest and heed his advice, but I don't really have doubt.

This is closer to the skull I want:

*, you know how to photoshop, can you shrink it and add it to my design above?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
I remember reading about either a confessor or martyr in a gulag who got his chest tattooed with the cross.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:47:19 PM by William »
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Photo of Tsar St. Nicholas' forearm dragon tattoo:

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2014, 03:43:52 PM »
Wish I didn't have mine, my whole forearm is covered. My spiritual father has told me it's a sin but I did it before I was Orthodox. We are to be a light for non-Christians and I keep my tattoo covered at all times (even in the summer I wear long sleeve shirts) because I don't want others to fall into the sin of judgement because of something stupid I did in my youth. It's going to be a burden to me to never let anyone see it when I become a monk (God willing). I even asked my spiritual father if I should get it removed with a lazer but he told me "You are going to be worm food, do you want to spend  thousands of dollars on their dinner?"

I want to follow all the commandments of God, and it's clear about not getting tattoos.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
Wish I didn't have mine, my whole forearm is covered. My spiritual father has told me it's a sin but I did it before I was Orthodox. We are to be a light for non-Christians and I keep my tattoo covered at all times (even in the summer I wear long sleeve shirts) because I don't want others to fall into the sin of judgement because of something stupid I did in my youth. It's going to be a burden to me to never let anyone see it when I become a monk (God willing). I even asked my spiritual father if I should get it removed with a lazer but he told me "You are going to be worm food, do you want to spend  thousands of dollars on their dinner?"

I want to follow all the commandments of God, and it's clear about not getting tattoos.
The commandments of God are also very clear about not eating pork or oysters. Why do we not follow those anymore?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:07:11 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2014, 06:10:58 PM »
Wish I didn't have mine, my whole forearm is covered. My spiritual father has told me it's a sin but I did it before I was Orthodox. We are to be a light for non-Christians and I keep my tattoo covered at all times (even in the summer I wear long sleeve shirts) because I don't want others to fall into the sin of judgement because of something stupid I did in my youth. It's going to be a burden to me to never let anyone see it when I become a monk (God willing). I even asked my spiritual father if I should get it removed with a lazer but he told me "You are going to be worm food, do you want to spend  thousands of dollars on their dinner?"

The commandments of God are also very clear about not eating pork or oysters. Why do we not follow those anymore?

Tell me where in the NEW testament does it say that? I think you need to talk to your priest about OT and NT laws and how they work and what we believe and follow.

Offline Deep Roots

• Elder
« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »

Tell me where in the NEW testament does it say that? I think you need to talk to your priest about OT and NT laws and how they work and what we believe and follow.
PM me if you wanna see a pic of my sweet tattoo.  It's cross with roots growing out of the bottom of it.  I think you'll like it -- I can tell from your posts.

yea or nay?
Peace.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »

PM me if you wanna see a pic of my sweet tattoo.  It's cross with roots growing out of the bottom of it.  I think you'll like it -- I can tell from your posts.

yea or nay?

The sarcasm wasn't necessary, forgive me if I upset you in any way.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2014, 02:39:51 AM »

I'm not aware of any NT passage or verse that prohibits tattoos, but perhaps I've missed something. I actually follow the Levitical dietary laws, but not because I believe it essential to my salvation but because it's essential to my health. I think too many people take undue license from St. Peter's vision, which was a symbolic message indicating that the Gentiles were also worthy to receive the gospel. The secondary meaning of the dream was that our salvation is no longer predicated upon what we eat. But while pork may now be considered religiously "clean," that doesn't change the properties of the physical pork one eats. If all things are literally clean, then that would mean that diseased rats are also clean; but I don't see Christians wolfing down diseased rat meat while proclaiming, "God says all things are clean!"

As for tattoos, I think a similar principle applies. Getting a tattoo won't affect your salvation, but it could very possibly affect your day to day life. There are still consequences to our actions. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and we should consider what we put into them and how we adorn them outwardly. I have many tattoos, most of them symbolic of my Christian Faith. But I would never recommend that someone get a tattoo without serious consideration. But if somebody were to ask me what I thought was more detrimental, getting a Cross tattooed on their arm or eating pork, I would advise them to get the tattoo and avoid the pork. But that's just my two cents on it.  :)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »

I'm not aware of any NT passage or verse that prohibits tattoos, but perhaps I've missed something. I actually follow the Levitical dietary laws, but not because I believe it essential to my salvation but because it's essential to my health. I think too many people take undue license from St. Peter's vision, which was a symbolic message indicating that the Gentiles were also worthy to receive the gospel. The secondary meaning of the dream was that our salvation is no longer predicated upon what we eat. But while pork may now be considered religiously "clean," that doesn't change the properties of the physical pork one eats. If all things are literally clean, then that would mean that diseased rats are also clean; but I don't see Christians wolfing down diseased rat meat while proclaiming, "God says all things are clean!"

As for tattoos, I think a similar principle applies. Getting a tattoo won't affect your salvation, but it could very possibly affect your day to day life. There are still consequences to our actions. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, and we should consider what we put into them and how we adorn them outwardly. I have many tattoos, most of them symbolic of my Christian Faith. But I would never recommend that someone get a tattoo without serious consideration. But if somebody were to ask me what I thought was more detrimental, getting a Cross tattooed on their arm or eating pork, I would advise them to get the tattoo and avoid the pork. But that's just my two cents on it.  :)

Selam

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

All-in-all, I've developed a different way of thinking about tattoos and piercings after I've become Orthodox, and that's okay. I am doing what my priest is asking of me. Ask your priest what you should do, that way if it is a sin your priest will take the responsibility and it will be taken off your shoulders. If your priest says don't get one, don't get one.

Offline Deep Roots

• Elder
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »

Selam

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Still waiting on that NT piece of evidence against tattoos.
Peace.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
Ask your priest what you should do, that way if it is a sin your priest will take the responsibility and it will be taken off your shoulders.

Boy are you going to be surprised on judgment day...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
Ask your priest what you should do, that way if it is a sin your priest will take the responsibility and it will be taken off your shoulders.

Boy are you going to be surprised on judgment day...
I had a hearty chuckle.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
But while pork may now be considered religiously "clean," that doesn't change the properties of the physical pork one eats. If all things are literally clean, then that would mean that diseased rats are also clean; but I don't see Christians wolfing down diseased rat meat while proclaiming, "God says all things are clean!"

What are the properties of the physical pork people eat? 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
But while pork may now be considered religiously "clean," that doesn't change the properties of the physical pork one eats. If all things are literally clean, then that would mean that diseased rats are also clean; but I don't see Christians wolfing down diseased rat meat while proclaiming, "God says all things are clean!"

Delicious.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

Whatever they are, they are easy enough to change by applying heat.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #287 on: April 15, 2014, 12:04:01 AM »

Are you sure you even understand what I just said? ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:06:57 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2014, 12:27:36 AM »
It's the only true way to worship:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:28:02 AM by Rhinosaur »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »

I do not have the vocabulary (at least, which will pass muster here) to adequately express the unmitigated ghastliness of this waste of time, effort and ink.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2014, 12:31:51 AM »
That looks like Charles Manson offering me a mentos...

please tell me it is not.....please....

I won't sleep now..

I probably won't sleep now regardless....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:37 AM »

I do not have the vocabulary (at least, which will pass muster here) to adequately express the unmitigated ghastliness of this waste of time, effort and ink.
Be offended, LBK, be very offended. :laugh:

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »

Everyone who calls himself Christian, Orthodox or otherwise, should be offended by this schlock. Seriously.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2014, 12:39:54 AM »
ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #294 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:18 AM »

Everyone who calls himself Christian, Orthodox or otherwise, should be offended by this schlock. Seriously.

That's not a "schlock." For crying out loud, it doesn't even look a thing like Christ. It looks more like a happy Kurt Cobain with breath mints instead of heroin.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #295 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »
No such thing as ' a Shlock'

its an adjective.

Schlock is an English word of Yiddish origin meaning "something cheap, shoddy, or inferior (perhaps from German Schlag, Yiddish shlak, meaning 'a stroke'; also possibly from German "Schlag"/"Schlagsahne", whipped cream)"

In the field of science, "schlock" refers to shoddy methods or unreliable results. In art, "schlock" is sometimes used as a synonym for kitsch.

So its a Schlock tattoo......cheap shoddy and inferior..
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #296 on: April 15, 2014, 12:44:09 AM »

Jesus with a bad case of Marfan Syndrome ....

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #297 on: April 15, 2014, 12:51:18 AM »

You're not every Christian, LBK. ;)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #298 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:29 AM »

Jesus with a bad case of Marfan Syndrome ....

I can't face the picture again....but he also appears to be attempting to rip his own heart out.....perhaps so that it will all just be over.....

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2014, 12:54:49 AM »

so you are not offended by Charlie Jesus offering you a Mentos?

I will pray for you...

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:46 AM »

so you are not offended by Charlie Jesus offering you a Mentos?

I will pray for you...
Please do. I need all the help I can get to tolerate much of what passes for wisdom around here. :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:58:42 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »
Please do. I need all the help I can get to tolerate much of what passes for wisdom around here. :laugh:

Then would you be kind enough to enlighten us poor ignorants as to what is wise and foolish on this thread?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2014, 01:21:36 AM »

Then would you be kind enough to enlighten us poor ignorants as to what is wise and foolish on this thread?
For one, foolishness is your attempt to speak for the nebulous "us".

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #303 on: April 15, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »

You are presuming to be the arbiter of wisdom and foolishness here.

Do you honestly think that the mentos Jesus tattoo is not something Christians, not just Orthodox Christians, should be offended by?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #304 on: April 15, 2014, 01:29:30 AM »
Honestly...

I vote for MUST be offended...

its really just that badly done, thought out, and executed.

Actually...I will go even further.   Even atheist tattoo lovers would be offended at it.

Humanity weeps at how poorly done that is....

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #305 on: April 15, 2014, 01:38:36 AM »

Do you honestly think that the mentos Jesus tattoo is not something Christians, not just Orthodox Christians, should be offended by?
Why must it be seen as a Mentos Jesus, and why must we be so easily offended?

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #306 on: April 15, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »

please see above...

even if its not actually Jesus....

its Charlie Manson with Mentos.

we -must- all be offended by that....

transcends age, race, religion, everything...

I shall repeat.

It is Charlie.....Manson.....with ....Mentos.

more clear now?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #307 on: April 15, 2014, 01:44:05 AM »

please see above...

I shall repeat.

more clear now?
But why must we be offended?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:48:14 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:19 AM »

Why must it be seen as a Mentos Jesus,

1. The bearded fellow in the tattoo is intended to be Jesus, according to the sources of the picture.

2. He is holding a packet of Mentos.

Simple.

You think it's OK for the Son of God to be portrayed in such a crass and flippant manner?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:51:52 AM by LBK »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:48 AM »

please see above...

I shall repeat.

more clear now?

oh let me count the ways.......

granted..you are just being difficult to be difficult....but i shall play along.

1. Bad Art offends..
Marc Chagall-    “When I am finishing a picture I hold some God-made object up to it / a rock, a flower, the branch of a tree or my hand / as a kind of final test. If the painting stands up beside a thing man cannot make, the painting is authentic. If there's a clash between the two, it is bad art.”

This tattoo is so poorly executed that we cannot hold it up against either Charles Manson or Jesus and be sure which was meant.  

2. If it is Charles Manson, really? I need to explain why a tattoo of him is offensive in general?

3. Abuse of Mentos.  I am sure that many of us love Mentos, and having them associated with 1. a serial killer, and 2. hideous artwork, makes them less palatable.   Charlie Manson wouldn't even like that he is abusing Mentos like this, and he is an egotistical so and so.....

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »

Whatever they are, they are easy enough to change by applying heat.

I don't care how long you cook bacon, it's still gonna be full of cholesterol. Some people might not be affected negatively by that, but lots of people will be. But I'm not here to crusade against pork. I just think that tattoos, if safely done, are less harmful to one's health than pork. But I now anticipate this leading to a raging OC.net debate about which is more sinful, tattoos or pork.  ;)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #311 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:21 AM »

1. The bearded fellow in the tattoo is intended to be Jesus, according to the sources of the picture.

Simple.

You think it's OK for the Son of God to be portrayed in such a crass and flippant manner?

I didn't say it's okay, so please don't put words into my mouth. It's bad form. ;) I'm asking what good it does to get so offended by it.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #312 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:40 AM »
That mentos one would be awesome if it looked more like Jesus. ;D Not as cool as Jesus bench pressing perhaps, but still a nice witness to the earthly incarnation and mission of Jesus, opposing those who would make Jesus too heavenly to be any earthly good.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #313 on: April 15, 2014, 02:00:23 AM »

Simple.

I didn't say it's okay, so please don't put words into my mouth. It's bad form. ;) I'm asking what good it does to get so offended by it.

I put no words in your mouth, I asked a question, which you've, at last, sort of answered.

Really, it does get rather tiresome to see you turn so much of what people say into an intellectual game for your own amusement.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #314 on: April 15, 2014, 02:02:15 AM »

Simple.

That little squiggly line...at the end of the sentence......you know, this one ?

It means a question is being asked, not a statement inserted into your mouth.

A question you did not answer.