Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 137271 times)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »
Operation: Stir Pot was a success.

If only the pot came with food...I'm hungry!

There's a large pot of onion and mushroom soup on my stove which finished brewing not long ago. A shame I can't share some with you.  :(
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »
This exchange is an embarrassment and should not be on the public fora.
Actually, I can think of no better place for this than on the public forum. This is the Free-For-All (Religious Topics) section, after all. If you're embarrassed, don't read it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:55:45 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »
Actually, I can think of no better place for this than on the public forum. This is the Free-For-All (Religious Topics) section, after all.

So why your complaints?  ::)

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »
Actually, I can think of no better place for this than on the public forum. This is the Free-For-All (Religious Topics) section, after all.

Why yours? Are you the only one free to complain on this board?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »

I never said I was. However, you seem to delight in playing cat among the pigeons quite frequently, often batting for both sides at the same time.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2014, 01:59:53 AM »
Let's talk about something less controversial than tattoos, like evolution, abortion, or nature/natures of Christ.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2014, 02:00:39 AM »
I've been wondering how to proceed with the cross on my left arm, which I'd like to have other similarly religious art with. I'm not really that big on praying hands and depictions of (saintly) people and all that, so I'm most likely just going to incorporate some other crosses, like...

...with some kind of background. I'm sort of locked in to some extent at this point by the size, shape, placement, etc. of the cross I already have.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2014, 02:04:58 AM »
I've been wondering how to proceed with the cross on my left arm, which I'd like to have other similarly religious art with. I'm not really that big on praying hands and depictions of (saintly) people and all that, so I'm most likely just going to incorporate some other crosses, like...

...with some kind of background. I'm sort of locked in to some extent at this point by the size, shape, placement, etc. of the cross I already have.

Not that you will mind but that reminds me of metal band logos.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2014, 02:05:45 AM »
Let's talk about something less controversial than tattoos, like evolution, abortion, or nature/natures of Christ.

Selam

Don't forget headcoverings!
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2014, 02:07:28 AM »

So why your complaints?  ::)

I never said I was. However, you seem to delight in playing cat among the pigeons quite frequently, often batting for both sides at the same time.
Yes, I do. I'm an equal opportunity rebuker. But at least I'm fair. What you just did to James was inappropriate, not from the pov of forum rules, but from the pov of common decency. Am I not right to rebuke you for it?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:08:21 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2014, 02:13:05 AM »

Yes, I do. I'm an equal opportunity rebuker. But at least I'm fair. What you just did to James was inappropriate, not from the pov of forum rules, but from the pov of common decency. Am I not right to rebuke you for it?

If you rebuke me, then you should be consistent and rebuke everyone else who posted in similar vein to me. This you have not done.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2014, 02:14:06 AM »

Selam

I needed a last thing before trying to sleep, laugh.

Thank you for making it so!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:53 AM »

Not that you will mind but that reminds me of metal band logos.

Ha, I hadn't thought of that.  :angel:  Though since I do like the genre so much, and since many tats veer in a similar direction anyway, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that I started heading towards something with a metal vibe to it.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:25 AM »

If you rebuke me, then you should be consistent and rebuke everyone else who posted in similar vein to me. This you have not done.
No, LBK, you are the only person who posted in a similar vein to you. You are the only one who tried to order James to not get a tattoo and called rubbish his excuses for disregarding your "advice". Others offered their opinions on his idea of getting a tattoo and/or on his complaints about wearing his baptismal cross at all times, but you are the only one who actually scolded him for disagreeing with you.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:44 AM »

No, LBK, you are the only person who posted in a similar vein to you. You are the only one who tried to order James to not get a tattoo and called rubbish his excuses for disregarding your "advice". Others offered their opinions on his idea of getting a tattoo and/or on his complaints about wearing his baptismal cross at all times, but you are the only one who actually scolded him for disagreeing with you.

Putting words in my mouth again. Show me where in this thread I "order James to not get a tattoo".

Furthermore, the excuses he gave in not wanting to wear his cross at certain times simply do not stack up. If he didn't like hearing what I had to say, which was sound, practical advice, then that's his problem, not mine.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2014, 03:17:51 AM »

Putting words in my mouth again. Show me where in this thread I "order James to not get a tattoo".

Furthermore, the excuses he gave in not wanting to wear his cross at certain times simply do not stack up. If he didn't like hearing what I had to say, which was sound, practical advice, then that's his problem, not mine.
It's none of your business to judge James's reasons for not wearing his baptismal cross at all times or for wearing a tattoo, for you are not his mother. He is not your son, so he bears no responsibility to obey you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:25:22 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2014, 03:19:50 AM »
There's a large pot of onion and mushroom soup on my stove which finished brewing not long ago. A shame I can't share some with you.  :(

I would happily have some.  I'm hungry AND for whatever reason I cannot fall asleep.  I must be on whatever time zone you're on.  :P 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2014, 03:20:33 AM »

Selam

Breastfeeding and Catholics. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #243 on: March 28, 2014, 03:35:28 AM »

I would happily have some.  I'm hungry AND for whatever reason I cannot fall asleep.  I must be on whatever time zone you're on.  :P 

A shame teleporting isn't a reality yet. And even if it was, I really don't trust what it could do to something like a container of soup.  The results could be, erm, interesting.  :P :o :laugh:

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2014, 03:40:59 AM »

It's none of your business to judge James's reasons for not wearing his baptismal cross at all times or for wearing a tattoo, for you are not his mother.

As I said before: James only needs to keep such personal matters to himself if he wants to avoid hearing advice or comments which he finds unpalatable. Otherwise, I and anyone else can respond to his posts.

He is not your son, so he bears no responsibility to obey you.

You really should stop putting words in people's mouths, it only serves to paint you in an increasingly bad light. Show me where I have demanded he obey me.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:41:40 AM by LBK »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »

It's none of your business to judge James's reasons for not wearing his baptismal cross at all times or for wearing a tattoo, for you are not his mother.

As I said before: James only needs to keep such personal matters to himself if he wants to avoid hearing advice or comments which he finds unpalatable. Otherwise, I and anyone else can respond to his posts.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. There are times when you should keep your comments to yourself, and this is one of those times.

You really should stop putting words in people's mouths, it only serves to paint you in an increasingly bad light. Show me where I have demanded he obey me.  >:(
Considering that I never accused you of demanding that James obey you, I'm not putting words in your mouth. So who's putting words into whose mouth now?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #246 on: March 28, 2014, 05:47:21 AM »

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. There are times when you should keep your comments to yourself, and this is one of those times.

Considering that I never accused you of demanding that James obey you, I'm not putting words in your mouth. So who's putting words into whose mouth now?

Nope, ain't letting you off that easy. Show me where I have demanded that James obey me.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #247 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
What's wrong with being content with wearing a baptismal cross?

Well for one it often gets in the way or becomes a liability at certain times.

I cannot wear it while doing manual labour due to the risk of it getting broken; same goes for sports and amusement parks. You also cannot wear it in the shower or wear it to bed due to the risk of it breaking or getting rust.

With a tattoo you can really never lose it, and it's lower maintenance.

Didn't you just get an Orthodox Cross tatooed on your wrist with pictures to prove it?
Or was that someone else?

Yup that was me :) It looks even nicer now that it set in. I consider it the second part to my Baptismal Cross, and it helps me to refrain my hand from engaging in sin.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #248 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
Apart from the clear historical practice of Copts and OO getting small cross tattoos (to prevent them from being mistaken for Moslems, as well as a courageous proclamation of their faith in oppressive societies), Orthodoxy has unequivocally frowned upon this form of "decoration".

That's the thing

prove it

Again, my challenge to you has still remained uncontested Prove to me--find me at least ONE objective Orthodox source via either the Bible, patristics, or Canons that prohibit tattoos.

You are free to say whatever you want about my tattoo like my mother (although I don't have to listen to it). I really don't care. But I am not going to take your opinion seriously UNTIL you meet my challenge. I even spoke to my own Priest about my tattoo and the only thing he told me was to be careful of falling into vanity. That being said, given the preliminary conditions of my tattoo, my reasons, and the fact that it was paid for, I do not believe it was vain and I have a clean conscience.

Until then, I don't wish to further discuss my tattoo. You brought it up and you can continue to bring it up but I have no intention to respond unless you prove to me that tattoos are prohibited in Orthodoxy via my above challenge which I've brought to you several times.

Offline JamesR

• Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #249 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
What's wrong with being content with wearing a baptismal cross?

Well for one it often gets in the way or becomes a liability at certain times.

I cannot wear it while doing manual labour due to the risk of it getting broken; same goes for sports and amusement parks. You also cannot wear it in the shower or wear it to bed due to the risk of it breaking or getting rust.

With a tattoo you can really never lose it, and it's lower maintenance.

Or you can buy a simpler cross to wear regularly.  They make them out of wood, leather, prayer rope knots, etc.  It's been a long time since I wore a cross made of some sort of metal.  These days I wear a leather cross most often, but I have at least one of the other two types I mentioned.    

I thought of that. I used to wear a chotki but it made me feel vain because it wasn't easily concealable--although they are more durable. At least with my tattoo all I have to do us unroll my sleeve if I wish to conceal it. 90% of the time it's covered. Only time it's ever visible is when I'm roaming around my home in a tank top shirt.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
those are very nice, mor. thank you for sharing.

Anytime!  I forgot to mention that these sorts of crosses are usually inexpensive and, in my experience, quite durable. 

Is the leather one okay in water?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2014, 02:19:59 AM »
Anyone want to streamline this design for me:

I'd like to redo the skull completely. I was thinking that it should just be the top half, without the lower jaw. No nose, and smaller eyes. Basically like the skull at the bottom of the cross in the Old Orthodox Prayer Book. I asked Achronos/Shiny for help but he is morally opposed to tattoos so he wouldn't do it.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
Is the leather one okay in water?

I have no idea...I don't swim, and I take the cross off before I shower. 

I asked Achronos/Shiny for help but he is morally opposed to tattoos so he wouldn't do it.

He was morally opposed to something?  :P

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
Only time it's ever visible is when I'm roaming around my home in a tank top shirt.

Don't ever do that.  Have some reverence for the angels.   

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »

Selam

Breastfeeding and Catholics. 

Ecumenism and the calendar.

Only time it's ever visible is when I'm roaming around my home in a tank top shirt.

Don't ever do that.  Have some reverence for the angels.   

LOL!!!
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Anyone want to streamline this design for me:

I'd like to redo the skull completely. I was thinking that it should just be the top half, without the lower jaw. No nose, and smaller eyes. Basically like the skull at the bottom of the cross in the Old Orthodox Prayer Book. I asked Achronos/Shiny for help but he is morally opposed to tattoos so he wouldn't do it.

Dude, this is goofy. You can do better. That skull belongs at Long John Silver's.

Other than this post, you have come back in much better form to the board.

And *? What are you thinking? Aren't you a bit old for all this?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »

I didn't even get my first tat till I was like 30 :angel:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
That skull belongs at Long John Silver's.

:)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:50 AM »
I personally have no issue with tattoos.  Most of the tattooed people I know got them for vanity's sake; I can't really appreciate that.  For those that have an attached meaning to their tattoo and if the artist's work is really good,  I can appreciate it.  I have never been tattooed, but who knows? 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »

And I haven't even talked about the other one, which involves a zombie bishop, a burning Hagia Sophia, and the ground covered with bodies.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »

And I haven't even talked about the other one, which involves a zombie bishop, a burning Hagia Sophia, and the ground covered with bodies.

I know the artist for you, as long as you want a Chola Virgen de Guadalupe floating above.  It would make as much sense.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

I know the artist for you, as long as you want a Chola Virgen de Guadalupe floating above.  It would make as much sense.

I thought She just came standard with the Zombie bishop.

Maybe thats just in deepest darkest LA though.... :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:09:27 AM by DeniseDenise »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »

I know the artist for you, as long as you want a Chola Virgen de Guadalupe floating above.  It would make as much sense.

I thought She just came standard with the Zombie bishop.

Maybe thats just in deepest darkest LA though.... :laugh:

It may depend if it's a zombie bishop with Western or Byzantine vestments. 

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
Pat. Of Constantinople, with staff as well. Though the zombie part will be mostly implied as he will have a COC skull  ;D  :angel:

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
This is just my opinion.

But I believe Christians with tattoos should have them removed.

This is because God told us not to get them.
Also in consideration that your body is the holy temple.

Leviticus 19:28 - You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1 Corinthians 3:16 - Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

God also knew you before he formed you in the womb.  He formed you knowing that you'd be the temple.  He didn't create you with tattoos.

I'm not lecturing anybody here, it is just my opinion.  You are made in God's image.
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

You are formed in his image, you are his temple, and God specifically told us not to get tattoos.   
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
This is just my opinion.

But I believe Christians with tattoos should have them removed.

This is because God told us not to get them.
Also in consideration that your body is the holy temple.

Leviticus 19:28 - You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1 Corinthians 3:16 - Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

God also knew you before he formed you in the womb.  He formed you knowing that you'd be the temple.  He didn't create you with tattoos.

I'm not lecturing anybody here, it is just my opinion.  You are made in God's image.
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

You are formed in his image, you are his temple, and God specifically told us not to get tattoos.   

"For the dead" is a pretty big caveat.  Lots of people get tattoos in memory of dead family and friends and lots of people don't.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
There is also the distinct possibility (and I am not a Bible scholar) that the prohibition was to -contrast- with the pagans of the time who did mark themselves as part of funeral rights...

Considering that Lev. is the only place that -specifically- mentions it....trying to combine it with Corinthians is somewhat problematic.....since there are plenty of other things that people do that violate that 'temple' ness...that people do not chase after them scolding them on....

If we are going to follow Leviticus as -law-, then we have an awful lot of other things to stop doing as well.  None of which we currently obey as -law-...

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
This thread is a great example of the discordant cacophony that frequently breaks out online when certain questions of a personal nature are best discussed between a lay believer and his or her parish priest or, for some, their spiritual father.

I have an opinion, and I will not share it here as I am neither your priest nor your spiritual father.

Ask your priest or spiritual father. Consider carefully his advice. Feel free to ask him why if you disagree. Ask if there are pastoral consequences should you freely choose not follow his guidance.  If you must, seek out another priest or monk to further discuss the matter. Go back to the first one if needed.  After that, pray on it and using your God given free will - decide. Then deal with your decision. The church is not a democracy and our opinions are irrelevant, they won't validate a poor choice nor will they (unfortunately perhaps) trump bad pastoral or familial advice.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:00:23 PM by podkarpatska »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Why would I ask my priest what your opinion on tattoos are?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
^To add--it's just a discussion, that's all  :) No one is asking permission to get a tattoo, or trying to replace advice from others (e.g. a priest). It's just getting an idea of what people think.