Poll

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

It's fine, nothing wrong with it.
42 (22.6%)
They can if they want, but I wouldn't.
27 (14.5%)
Only in some circumstances.
23 (12.4%)
I don't think it's proper, no.
38 (20.4%)
It is absolutely, positively sinful!
15 (8.1%)
I'm not sure.
37 (19.9%)
None of the above.
4 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos  (Read 130256 times)

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Re: Orthodox Christians and Tattoos
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »
I've heard of monks on Mt Athos giving pilgrims the opportunity to receive a tattoo of the cross.

That's sort of... er... I take it they don't have autoclaves there on Mount Athos. You see where I'm going with this?  :angel:

It's just what I've heard. I'm sure they would have some way of keeping things clean and sanitary if they do give tattoos.

Quite Obviously, they put Windex on it.

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Jesus wants you to be cool. He endured crucifixion and death so that you could get crosses tattooed on yourself.

Well if Jesus died for my sins, and getting a tat is a sin, then Jesus died so that I could get a tat and be forgiven for it.
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2013, 12:05:21 AM »
I've heard of monks on Mt Athos giving pilgrims the opportunity to receive a tattoo of the cross.

That's sort of... er... I take it they don't have autoclaves there on Mount Athos. You see where I'm going with this?  :angel:

It's just what I've heard. I'm sure they would have some way of keeping things clean and sanitary if they do give tattoos.

Quite Obviously, they put Windex on it.

:laugh: ;D

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
Thoughts:

It's poorly executed IMO. If you are going to get a tattoo, get it done right or don't do it at all.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2013, 12:10:51 AM »
It's poorly executed IMO. If you are going to get a tattoo, get it done right or don't do it at all.

Anything in particular?

And I don't especially like or dislike it, I'm just intrigued by the responses.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
I've come to believe (and this is just my opinion) that if you get a tattoo before you become a Christian, that's not a sin.  But if you get a tattoo as a Christian, this is probably a sin because it's not good stewardship of your money.  Having said that, I think that if you're a Christian minority living in a non-Christian country and the tradition is to get a tattoo of a cross to identify yourself, then that's  probably Ok.  I think that before anyone gets a tattoo, you should ask your priest.  Again, this is just my opinion.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
Thoughts:

Plus, it's just plain silly.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »
The shading is really strange and random. The style of the eagles versus the cross is very jarring. Stylistically they just don't mesh. The cross is almost cartoon like, whereas the eagles are more old jerry style. The tattoo is done in such a way that the visual perspective is completely off.

I also suspect the cross was done at a completely different time than the eagle. Which again, is done in a completely different style. Various styles can mesh well, this isn't an example of them meshing well at all.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:25:05 AM by Quinault »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
Really, the more I look at that tattoo, the worse it looks.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2013, 12:40:33 AM »
Jesus wants you to be cool. He endured crucifixion and death so that you could get crosses tattooed on yourself.

Well if Jesus died for my sins, and getting a tat is a sin, then Jesus died so that I could get a tat and be forgiven for it.

+1

It's also weird to me how tattoos are singled out as expressions of vanity or poor stewardship, but most Christians have no qualms about makeup, jewelry, expensive hair coiffeurs, or stylish clothing.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »

Anything in particular?

Asteriktos...

...is that your tattoo?
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2013, 12:44:17 AM »
It's also weird to me how tattoos are singled out as expressions of vanity or poor stewardship, but most Christians have no qualms about makeup, jewelry, expensive hair coiffeurs, or stylish clothing.
Jesus wants you to be cool. He endured crucifixion and death so that you could hang a cross on yourself.
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'Animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:13 AM »

+1

Selam

Ain't that the truth.  I know so many Christians who always wear the latest fashions and expensive jewelry and drive BMW's.  No one drives a Beemer because of it's reliability or engineering; it's purely a status symbol.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »
The shading is really strange and random. The style of the eagles versus the cross is very jarring. Stylistically they just don't mesh. The cross is almost cartoon like, whereas the eagles are more old jerry style. The tattoo is done in such a way that the visual perspective is completely off.

I also suspect the cross was done at a completely different time than the eagle. Which again, is done in a completely different style. Various styles can mesh well, this isn't an example of them meshing well at all.

The eagle is so dark and oddly shaded that my terrible addiction to the shows 'tattoo nightmares' and 'ink master' tell me that this has a high likelyhood of either being, or at least looking like a coverup tattoo...
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »

Anything in particular?

Asteriktos...

...is that your tattoo?

Nah, I go more for melodrama than nationalism. I have a three bar cross now, and am thinking about getting an upside down/mirror one to match it below, with "Eli Eli lama sabachthani" incorporated.  8)

Also, I have no intention of getting any tats on my calves.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:02:57 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2013, 02:37:41 AM »

+1

Selam

One's preference in clothes can, and usually does, change, as they age. Makeup is also something that many women wear less of (or it is far more subtle) as they age and mature in mind. Jewelry? Same thing. Many women either tone down the bling of their youth, or stop wearing jewellery altogether (apart from a wedding band, of course), or wear it only on formal or special occasions.

Conversely, a tat is for life. Laser treatment has no guarantee of success. And then there's the little problem of the effects of gravity and other effects of aging, turning one's youthful impulse into something grotesque.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:38:01 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2013, 03:37:06 AM »

The eagle is so dark and oddly shaded that my terrible addiction to the shows 'tattoo nightmares' and 'ink master' tell me that this has a high likelyhood of either being, or at least looking like a coverup tattoo...

I thought it looked like a bad coverup tattoo as well.

• Merarches
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2013, 03:53:08 AM »

+1

Selam

One's preference in clothes can, and usually does, change, as they age. Makeup is also something that many women wear less of (or it is far more subtle) as they age and mature in mind. Jewelry? Same thing. Many women either tone down the bling of their youth, or stop wearing jewellery altogether (apart from a wedding band, of course), or wear it only on formal or special occasions.

Conversely, a tat is for life. Laser treatment has no guarantee of success. And then there's the little problem of the effects of gravity and other effects of aging, turning one's youthful impulse into something grotesque.

That's true. Tattoos are permanent and people should carefully consider the consequences.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »

Ugly, blasphemous, and totally unnecessary.

Come now, don't hold back!  :)

What about it is blasphemous?

Turning the Christian cross into a lurid badge akin to bikers' colors. And don't get me started on the aggressive phyletism expressed in the composition ...

How about this one, LBK:

For those wondering, the script is John 15:13, in Slavonic. Still completely unnecessary. What's wrong with being content with wearing a baptismal cross?

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2013, 04:55:09 AM »
tattoo is more difficult to steal or remove.
i quite like the slavonic tattoo.
i would just get a cross without writing though
 :angel:

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
Some great tattoos I've seen here. I don't think it's a matter of if it's proper, but the impact that it has on the soul. Generally, the Orthodox give up all external aspects in favor of the internal, but not in the sense that the external doesn't matter at all, just that the internal presides over it. Just like monks give up possessions, "normal" clothes, etc. because these things tend to make the soul heavy and keep it on the physical level while adding to the difficulties of earthly life (having to maintain and worry about all that you own).

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2013, 10:44:02 PM »

My grandfather had tats, and even into his 80s they looked great. Well, maybe not from a purely aesthetic point of view (especially if that POV is not much in favor of tats to begin with), but I thought they were great.  :angel:

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2013, 10:45:20 PM »

Thank you. People often say "that tattoo sucks" or "that tattoo is really good" and I have no idea what they're talking about. I guess I have a certain tone deafness when it comes to evaluating such things. Perhaps this is related to my post above  ;D

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
What's wrong with being content with wearing a baptismal cross?
What's wrong with being content with wearing a tattoo?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
What's wrong with being content with wearing a baptismal cross?
What's wrong with being content with wearing a tattoo?

A baptismal cross is a proper and necessary part of one's reception into the Church. A tattoo, particularly the large and lurid sorts featured on this and other threads, is neither necessary nor proper.

The small cross on the hands or foreheads of Copts and other OO is another matter, with a strong history and understandable origin - as others have ably explained. I am not at all critical of this practice.

Offline Bianconeri

« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »
Here are my tattoos

• Merarches
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
Here are my tattoos

I like the first one especially. Help me with my Greek. The top word is "Orthodoxia"? What is the bottom word?

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
I got a few friendly taunts about not having a tatoo, since most people I know around here have some. I think it's because it won't look all that good in the old age. But then again, as a friend said, in the old age nobody will care about how it looks anymore, anyways. So, in conclusion, at least get a cool one.
Tattooing though is no longer socially transgressive. it has been tamed and tattoo parlors or whatever they are called, are a mark of gentrification, most often.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:51:37 PM by augustin717 »
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Bianconeri

« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Here are my tattoos

I like the first one especially. Help me with my Greek. The top word is "Orthodoxia"? What is the bottom word?

Selam

It is thanatos, death. It is written Orthodoxy or Death  ;)  Wa salam.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:46:12 PM by Bianconeri »

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
I thought it read "Orthodoxy or tatoos".  ;D

Offline Bianconeri

« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
I thought it read "Orthodoxy or tatoos".  ;D

Haha being romanian i could have made a mystake  ;D

• Merarches
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
Here are my tattoos

Selam

It is thanatos, death. It is written Orthodoxy or Death  ;)  Wa salam.

Ahh, nice! Thank you.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:28 PM »
Here are my tattoos

The eagle biting a cross is highly disrespectful, bordering on blasphemy.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
Here are my tattoos

The eagle biting a cross is highly disrespectful, bordering on blasphemy.  >:( >:( >:(

I believe it comes from our national coat of arms:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:33:00 PM by Romaios »

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
Here are my tattoos

The eagle biting a cross is highly disrespectful, bordering on blasphemy.  >:( >:( >:(

I believe it's a detail of our national coat of arms:

The version in the tattoo is little more than a belligerent biker tat with a cross, the product of immature adolescence. It is far removed from the national crest.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:35:35 PM by LBK »

Offline Bianconeri

« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »
Here are my tattoos

The eagle biting a cross is highly disrespectful, bordering on blasphemy.  >:( >:( >:(

I believe it comes from our national coat of arms:

Yes it comes from it, our symbol since at least the 14th century. But maybe will he say that our coat of arms is bordering on blasphemy too  ;D  And i'm not a biker at all lol. The flaming under it actually reads nihil sine deo.

the product of immature adolescence

You know, it is kind of adolescent to pretext a biker style and a far deviation from the coat of arms(that obviously you didnt know about for calling it "blasphemy") just not to admit that you just dont like tattoos   ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:41:31 PM by Bianconeri »

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:54 PM »
Do tats on the shoulder stretch if you gain shoulder muscle?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »
Here are my tattoos

Nothing like a little nationalism with Orthodoxy. It's the American thing to do, LBK...you wouldn't understand...
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
Here are my tattoos

Nothing like a little nationalism with Orthodoxy. It's the American thing to do, LBK...you wouldn't understand...

American? Heh. Tell that to the militant Serbs, Russians, Greeks, Romanians, etc who indulge in this idiotic defacement of their bodies and debasement of Orthodoxy. Phyletism is phyletism, no matter where you live.  :P ::)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:49:00 AM by LBK »

• Merarches
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
1,300-year-old Egyptian mummy had tattoo of Archangel Michael

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/03/26/scientists-unearth-new-secrets-from-ancient-mummy/

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2014, 03:25:03 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/03/26/scientists-unearth-new-secrets-from-ancient-mummy/

Selam

Interesting, but the article doesn't say why any of them think it was the Archangel and not any other Michael, or why they even were sure it was a Christian usage.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:56 AM »

Selam

Interesting, but the article doesn't say why any of them think it was the Archangel and not any other Michael, or why they even were sure it was a Christian usage.

Indeed.
Might just be proof of the very first violation of the 'never get a romantic interests name inked on you' rule. 

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »

I got this one a few weeks ago while in a drunken stupor.  I can't remember if I asked them to make it Peewee Herman or Klaus Nomi.  I really shouldn't drink rumplemintz anymore.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:33 PM »
I do have two tattoos - one I got in 2005, the other 2009, years before I became Orthodox. Would I get another? I don't know. I doubt it.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »

Only if you scrape it off like Russell Crowe in Gladiator.