Author Topic: Iceland builds temple to Norse gods  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Iceland builds temple to Norse gods
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:39:00 AM »
Iceland to build first temple to Norse gods since Viking age

Icelanders will soon be able to publicly worship at a shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg with construction starting this month on the island’s first major temple to the Norse gods since the Viking age.

Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.

There do seem to be a lot of neopagans there, for a country with such a small population. Then again, Rodnover and other such groups have a similar level of popularity throughout much of Russia.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:40:14 AM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
Re: Iceland builds temple to Norse gods
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Last time they did such, didn't they breed out of existence?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:00:10 AM by LenInSebastopol »
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Christ Clothes
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:08 AM »

Right on, sounds like a good time.

Iceland’s neo-pagans still celebrate the ancient sacrificial ritual of Blot with music, reading, eating and drinking, but nowadays leave out the slaughter of animals.

Besides, there are only two Orthodox parishes and the Icelandic language is used only minimally in one of them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:27:47 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »

Iceland’s neo-pagans still celebrate the ancient sacrificial ritual of Blot with music, reading, eating and drinking, but nowadays leave out the slaughter of animals.

Lame. That is like being a vegan cannibal.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »

Vegans would eat each other up if stranded on a deserted island.  The fight would be over who is more organic.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

No longer pasting here.

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »

I'm wondering if they've also abandoned the belief (which the original Vikings had) that only those who die in battle will go to Valhalla? If they haven't, could we expect to see Iceland getting more hawkish in the future?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
 :D

That would be awesome to see oil tankers taken over by longboats with men with bushy beards and axes swarming over the sides.

Neo-pagans are the worst. They are the ultimate LARPers.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
LARPing would be me going to church dressed like this:

all while effecting a pseudo-Slavic accent.

Icelandic people worshiping the gods of their fathers...that's not really LARPing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:09:41 PM by hecma925 »

No longer pasting here.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »

I'm wondering if they've also abandoned the belief (which the original Vikings had) that only those who die in battle will go to Valhalla? If they haven't, could we expect to see Iceland getting more hawkish in the future?

That probably depends on who you ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_Norse_paganism#Helgafjell
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:12:59 PM by Ansgar »
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »
LARPing would be me going to church dressed like this:

all while effecting a pseudo-Slavic accent.

Icelandic people worshiping the gods of their fathers...that's not really LARPing.

1 - You don't know my heart, why you gotta be hating on my clothes and affected accent?

2 - Their father's converted to Christianity.  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:52:45 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
Resurrecting a long-dead religion is most certainly LARPing. This is silly. But then again all Neo-Paganism is silly.
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »
Resurrecting a long-dead religion is most certainly LARPing. This is silly. But then again all Neo-Paganism is silly.
+1

It is one thing if they are continuing a religion that their ancestors have always held to. It is quite another to have a 1,000 year gap, resurrect a religion that no one really knows how it was adhered to and what the rituals were, stand around in funny robes because they look ancient looking, mumble phrases that probably have no relation to the original religion, and say that you are holding to the religion of your fathers. I come from a Germanic background (with the exception of my grandfather who was Serbian), but if I decided to start following the ancient Germanic deities and marching around in funny clothes, most people would not take that seriously.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox. Truly, madly, deeply
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
It's another thing if the native religion have never really died out. IIRC this is the case somewhere around Baltic region. Don't remember which country though.

We used to have some Pagan-ish ideas but all what's left pretty much died out due to urbanization. While I kind of symphatize idea of ascribing to ancient religions it's silly. It's dead. Reviving a politically correct hipster version won't revive it but create a cheap pastiche. You don't live in 12th century village. Don't try to revive a religion that was based on he long dead lifestyle.
The user should probably be sleeping by now.

Offline Regnare

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
And this isn't even "reviving" the religion. This is reviving its outward trappings and rituals and using them as an allegorical source of guidance for the modern humanist lifestyle you were already going to live anyway. I'm inclined to say LARPing.
(To anticipate a possible objection: no, it's not the same as liberal Christians allegorising Scripture, because at least those stories were passed down directly to them and they are simply trying to reconcile the faith in which they grew up with the modern world, even if wrongly.)

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
+1

It is one thing if they are continuing a religion that their ancestors have always held to. It is quite another to have a 1,000 year gap, resurrect a religion that no one really knows how it was adhered to and what the rituals were, stand around in funny robes because they look ancient looking, mumble phrases that probably have no relation to the original religion, and say that you are holding to the religion of your fathers. I come from a Germanic background (with the exception of my grandfather who was Serbian), but if I decided to start following the ancient Germanic deities and marching around in funny clothes, most people would not take that seriously.

I thought the Germans did that about 80 or 90 years ago, didn't they? Seems I read something about that.  ::)
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
+1

I thought the Germans did that about 80 or 90 years ago, didn't they? Seems I read something about that.  ::)

Beat me to it.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 06:33:22 PM »
No animal sacrifices or blood eagles!? Psh lame-sauce. It would still be cool to see the temple though.

According to the Scandinavian calendar I think Ragnarok was suppose to accrue last year?! Good thing the Christianization of Scandinavia took place between the 8th and the 12th centuries so who cares about Ragnarok and Valhalla anyway.

Seriously though, there can't really be a full resurrection of the Norse religion. It's not really easy to die in battle anymore to make it to Valhalla. In the Norse religion it wasn't seen as a good thing to be old, you wanted to battle and die to make it to Valhalla. Otherwise you'd end up with Loki in the underworld.

This thread makes me excited for the 3rd season of Vikings coming out this month!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:40:29 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
No animal sacrifices or blood eagles!? Psh lame-sauce. It would still be cool to see the temple though.

This thread makes me excited for the 3rd season of Vikings coming out this month!

If they build fast....i might be able to get some pictures of it in April....

Offline Adela

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
They have such nice little houses for the Huldufólk, too!

Even a little church for the elves:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
They have such nice little houses for the Huldufólk, too!

Even a little church for the elves:

They do!

something like 70% of Icelanders cannot say they DO not believe in tiny mythical creatures....

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »
I wonder if Thor gets his hammers at Ace Hardware? :)

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
I already really want to go to Iceland and this thread isn't helping.

ZealousZeal, I hope you have a passport!
"But we must live in the world, having peace in our soul. We must live amidst strangers; we must suffer, struggle, and firmly believe. We must seek our consolation in prayer and not doubt the love and compassion of God. He is above everyone and everything."

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
I wonder if Thor gets his hammers at Ace Hardware? :)

Next time you are in Ace Hardware ask them if they have any Mjölnir   :laugh:

I always thought this was kind of funny, "Thor promised the end of frost giants. I don't see many frost giants do you?"

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 07:04:50 PM »
It's not really easy to die in battle anymore to make it to Valhalla. In the Norse religion it wasn't seen as a good thing to be old, you wanted to battle and die to make it to Valhalla. Otherwise you'd end up with Loki Hel in the underworld.

Fixed that for you.  :)
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Adela

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 07:14:07 PM »
They can have nice weddings at this temple:

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
They can have nice weddings at this temple:

Overweight guy with neckbeard and anachronistic armour.  Ok.

Rather decent looking nerd-chick to marry....

Either she's a paid model or I am doing something seriously wrong.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »
Ok...thats bizarre....i think i know that guy...

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »
It's not really easy to die in battle anymore to make it to Valhalla. In the Norse religion it wasn't seen as a good thing to be old, you wanted to battle and die to make it to Valhalla. Otherwise you'd end up with Loki Hel in the underworld.

Fixed that for you.  :)

Hel isn't a place, Hel is Loki's daughter. Hel rules over vast mansions with many servants in her underworld realm. Loki was bound in the Underworld until the cosmos was destroyed during Ragnarok. My statement was accurate, you didn't need to "fix" anything.

This picture shows Sigyn, the wife of Loki, stopping the dripping acid of the serpent being dripped on Loki to release him from the pain while in the underworld where he is being held until Ragnarok.

Hel controls the underworld, where those who die a dishonorable death go. This includes people who die of old age.

Valhalla is an afterlife destination where half of those who die in battle gather, the lucky ones go here. If you are blood eagled and don't scream, you'll go to Valhalla also to fight with the other lucky warriors along with Odin and Thor

Fólkvangr is an afterlife field ruled over by the goddess Freyja, who chooses the other half who die in battle to reside with her there.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:57:48 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »

Besides, there are only two Orthodox parishes and the Icelandic language is used only minimally in one of them.
then we are growing. Last I checked there were no Orthodox.

There is a reason why the Norse gods died out.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
  • Archon
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 09:48:51 PM »
Their father's converted to Christianity. 

+1

+1

If there's some kind of continuity, like Santeria has continuity with Yoruba religion, then it's not LARPing, but if the continuity has been broken for a millennium and you're saying things like this:

I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet...We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.

Then yeah, you're LARPing.  Can you imagine any Copts ditching Christianity and converting to Kemetic Orthodoxy?
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »

You must have checked a while ago....they even have a website! ;)

http://www.orthodox.is

I think they are currently meeting in mostly a house church if i believe my language skills ...(i don't!)   but they do exist and are growing

Regular services are performed since 2005. During this period, the number of parishioners grew almost 5 times: from 97 to more than 600 people. According to the report of the National Bureau of Statistics Iceland, in 2010 Russian Orthodox parish became the fastest growing (in percentage terms) religious organization in Iceland.
Thanks to the support of the Embassy of the Russian Federation by the City Council of Reykjavik parish community after 9 years of intense negotiations has been allocated land for the construction of cultural and spiritual center for Russian-speaking compatriots, the center of which is to become the first in Iceland Orthodox church. April 29, 2011 in the reception hall of the Russian Embassy signed an agreement to lease land for 50 years with the subsequent extension also for 50 years.

I will try and report back in April, since I will be there over a Sunday....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:58:32 PM by DeniseDenise »

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:04 PM »

+1

+1

If there's some kind of continuity, like Santeria has continuity with Yoruba religion, then it's not LARPing, but if the continuity has been broken for a millennium and you're saying things like this:

I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet...We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.

Then yeah, you're LARPing.  Can you imagine any Copts ditching Christianity and converting to Kemetic Orthodoxy?

LOL. Kemetic Orthodoxy, I've heard of that movement, and the woman who founded it. She is also an initiated priestess in Haitian Vodou, as well. I guess one LARPing hobby wasn't enough for her? Her name is Tamara Siuda, and she looks like this:

Egyptian Neopaganism is also popular among many black nationalists, who for obvious reasons don't like Tamara Siuda or her organization (they see what she's doing as cultural appropriation; blackface paganism, in other words. The fact that she's also a Haitian Vodou priestess doesn't help in that respect).

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »

+1

+1

Or Arabs going back to worshiping Hubal (Laying aside, of course, the conspiracy theory that claims that they still do).

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
  • Archon
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
    • Return to Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Egyptian Neopaganism is also popular among many black nationalists, who for obvious reasons don't like Tamara Siuda or her organization (they see what she's doing as cultural appropriation; blackface paganism, in other words. The fact that she's also a Haitian Vodou priestess doesn't help in that respect).

Yeah, I used to be friendly with some Ausar Auset guys in North Jersey and Brooklyn back in the day.  They weren't too thrilled with Tamara Siuda.  The beef wasn't necessarily that she was white, but that she claimed title of Nisut illegitimately.  They took that very seriously, especially since they already had a guy claiming to be the avatar (or incarnation, or whatever) of Heru;D

Or Arabs going back to worshiping Hubal (Laying aside, of course, the conspiracy theory that claims that they still do).

Conspiracy theory is right on the money, MN.  There's nothing less idiotic than the Evangelical "Muslim moon god" guys except the guys who want to argue that the Mormons and the JWs just might be worshipping the One God, but the Muslims...no way.
Worship is theology, so a church which brings Evangelical and Charismatic "praise & worship" into its corporate life is no longer Orthodox.  It is, by definition, heterodox.  Those "Orthodox" leaders who make theological arguments for the incorporation of heteropraxis into the life of the Church are heretics.

http://returntoorthodoxy.com/

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 12:17:43 AM »
Finally, a place to pray before I go a-viking!
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »

Icelanders will soon be able to publicly worship at a shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg with construction starting this month on the island’s first major temple to the Norse gods since the Viking age.

Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.

There do seem to be a lot of neopagans there, for a country with such a small population. Then again, Rodnover and other such groups have a similar level of popularity throughout much of Russia.

If most Christians are pagans in all but name alone, why would any of them care?

Just glance at the prayer thread here sometime. You ain't gotta prick a Christian deep to find pagan blood.

If the prayer thread doesn't float your boat, look at all the people disturbed by their proclaimed martyrs. Last I checked, Christians sought and celebrated martyrdom, not jobs, or praying for the homeless rather than giving them a home.
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »

You must have checked a while ago....they even have a website! ;)

http://www.orthodox.is

I think they are currently meeting in mostly a house church if i believe my language skills ...(i don't!)   but they do exist and are growing

Regular services are performed since 2005. During this period, the number of parishioners grew almost 5 times: from 97 to more than 600 people. According to the report of the National Bureau of Statistics Iceland, in 2010 Russian Orthodox parish became the fastest growing (in percentage terms) religious organization in Iceland.
Thanks to the support of the Embassy of the Russian Federation by the City Council of Reykjavik parish community after 9 years of intense negotiations has been allocated land for the construction of cultural and spiritual center for Russian-speaking compatriots, the center of which is to become the first in Iceland Orthodox church. April 29, 2011 in the reception hall of the Russian Embassy signed an agreement to lease land for 50 years with the subsequent extension also for 50 years.

I will try and report back in April, since I will be there over a Sunday....
Glory to God!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »

Fixed that for you.  :)

Hel isn't a place, Hel is Loki's daughter. Hel rules over vast mansions with many servants in her underworld realm. Loki was bound in the Underworld until the cosmos was destroyed during Ragnarok. My statement was accurate, you didn't need to "fix" anything.

This picture shows Sigyn, the wife of Loki, stopping the dripping acid of the serpent being dripped on Loki to release him from the pain while in the underworld where he is being held until Ragnarok.

Hel controls the underworld, where those who die a dishonorable death go. This includes people who die of old age.

Valhalla is an afterlife destination where half of those who die in battle gather, the lucky ones go here. If you are blood eagled and don't scream, you'll go to Valhalla also to fight with the other lucky warriors along with Odin and Thor

Fólkvangr is an afterlife field ruled over by the goddess Freyja, who chooses the other half who die in battle to reside with her there.

Hel is both a place and a goddess. And though I'm aware that norse paganism was not an organised religion and therefore, different versions of stories can exist, in the Younger Edda at least, Loki is bound in a cave, not the underworld. 

-St Silouan the athonite