OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half of Jews don't believe in God.  (Read 575 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.

« on: May 23, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

However, many people who call themselves Jews do not believe in that religion at all! More than half of all Jews in Israel today call themselves "secular," and don't believe in G-d or any of the religious beliefs of Judaism. Half of all Jews in the United States don't belong to any synagogue. They may practice some of the rituals of Judaism and celebrate some of the holidays, but they don't think of these actions as religious activities.

Source http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

The question that comes to my mind is why ? Why would half of Jews in Israel don't believe in God and almost the same thing for Jews in America ?!

What is the reason in your opinion ?

Peace. 

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:03:23 PM »

they know the truth

This user no longer posts here.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:08:32 PM »

they know the truth

Meaning ?

Good bye OC.net. I will not post in this forum anymore. I'm thankful to several members here who helped me so much and stood by me. God Bless You All Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »

Apophaticism par excellence. God is so unknowable/beyond human comprehension that he might as well not exist.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »

they know the truth
You go from giving advice to converts to atheist within the span of a week?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 02:14:26 PM »

they know the truth

It was never me.. I tried to be nice.. I am an agnostic/atheistic person..

This user no longer posts here.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »

they know the truth

It was never me.. I tried to be nice.. I am an agnostic/atheistic person..
So why come on to an Orthodox Christian and post 500 some odd times?  I don't go on to atheist sites and give advise. What is the purpose?  Not trying to be mean, I'm honestly interested.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »

Cultural Jews are usually agnostic/atheist/indifferent.  They like the Bar Mitzvahs, though.  And smashing glass at weddings.

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »

The story of the Jewish religion is such a sad one. Lest we be puffed up and blind, however, let's remember that there but by God's favor goes the whole of modern society.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Amatorus
Humilem Armigerum

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 05:47:33 PM »

I'm not surprised. This Khazar mutation of Talmudism can only be practiced by the ignorant or faithless.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »

I know many baptized Christians who also have been married in church who do not really believe in God, they just go along.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 05:52:38 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 06:09:03 PM »

I know many baptized Christians who also have been married in church who do not really believe in God, they just go along.

True. I just found out that almost half of Protestants in the Netherlands DO NOT believe in God. While ONLY 27% of Catholics in the Netherlands believe in God, and 55% of Catholics there believe in some higher power, and 17% are Agnostic!!!

There is something wrong going on.

Source. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=post;msg=1127388;topic=58542.0;sesc=f4e9ac3b9c71e60171f7e294aca8ecb0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:09:37 PM by Raylight » Logged

WPM
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:16:32 PM »

Again. we're following common trains of thought - just because we "think something" doesn't mean its actually true.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »

Again. we're following common trains of thought - just because we "think something" doesn't mean its actually true.

Could you explain more please ?

WPM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »

Just because we "think something" doesn't mean its true .. It needs to be backed up and proven by facts and research.

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »

It is if you have known them for 30-40 years and had many such conversations. And stood up for their weddings, while they tell you privately that they do not really believe all that stuff .

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
WPM
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 06:39:58 PM »

It is if you have known them for 30-40 years and had many such conversations. And stood up for their weddings, while they tell you privately that they do not really believe all that stuff .

I sort of understand but "explaining stuff" tends to confuse people. Its not appropriate to "explain stuff" unless your in a classroom with an official teacher.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »

Just because we "think something" doesn't mean its true .. It needs to be backed up and proven by facts and research.

The first post about half of Jews are Atheists is from a Jewish website that teaches about Judaism. why would such website claim such thing without evidence ?!

Here is another source

Atheism is entrenched in American Judaism. In researching their book American Grace, authors Robert Putnam and David Campbell found that half of all American Jews doubt God's existence. In other groups, that number is between 10 and 15 percent.

Source...http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-09-26/jew-atheist-god/50553958/1

Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »

I sort of understand but "explaining stuff" tends to confuse people. Its not appropriate to "explain stuff" unless your in a classroom with an official teacher.

It is funny when people understand what you said , but make issues about language anyway.

lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »

Jews are atheists for the same reasons other people are atheists. And everyone has their own reasons.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 07:22:23 PM »

I do believe in the Torah, I do believe in the whole Old Testament. So, I wonder how could someone be a Jewish and atheist at the same time. Not why they are atheists, but how could they be still considered to be Jewish when they don't believe in God.

In one of the links above, said that Judaism is not "dogmatic", means that you don't have to believe in God to be Jewish. But doesn't that contradict what we Christians read in the Old Testament ? Doesn't that contradict the most vital commandment in the Torah ?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:23:28 PM by Raylight » Logged

lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »

I do believe in the Torah, I do believe in the whole Old Testament. So, I wonder how could someone be a Jewish and atheist at the same time. Not why they are atheists, but how could they be still considered to be Jewish when they don't believe in God.

In one of the links above, said that Judaism is not "dogmatic", means that you don't have to believe in God to be Jewish. But doesn't that contradict what we Christians read in the Old Testament ? Doesn't that contradict the most vital commandment in the Torah ?

First off, you have a 777 post count as of me writing this. Very Godly of you. Smiley

There's a difference between the Jewish people and Judaism. There are different denominations within Judaism as well, but we'll assume that "Judaism" refers to any form that believes in God.

To be Jewish is simply to be born into the ethnic group known as the Jews. It's no different from Greek, Arab, Slav, etc.

To be an "observant" or "practicing" Jew means to adhere to the beliefs and rules of Judaism.

I, for example, am Jewish. But I am not a practicing Jew because I practice Christianity. I am, some might say, a Jewish Christian (or a Christian Jew, whatever).

A hundred years ago, atheist Jews were a rarity because people were born into ethnic families that followed the traditions of their ancestors (Judaism). But today, Jews frequently come from mixed parents where there is no dominant tradition, if there is one at all. So a Jew is still ethnically Jewish even if they don't have a religion.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:39:05 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »

Well they aren't practicing Jews -- they don't have any great interest what Torah says. To be Jewish is not only religious, but racial, cultural, and so forth. Most young Jews, according to polls, do not consider Judaism a religion at all really. Same way with the European Christians you cited who say they are atheists. They don't care about church dogma -- they were born into the definition "Catholic", "Reformed", or whatever, in the same way (it seems to them) they were born Dutch or French.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »

Think of it this way: an Arab can be Christian, Muslim, Jewish, atheist, or anything else. There's no confusion here because "Arab" only describes ethnicity, not religion.

"Jew" describes both, but someone can be just the ethnicity. For your information, when someone converts to Judaism, they are considered a full member of the tribe, but demographically speaking they aren't ethnically Jewish.

EDIT: I realize that I'm being inconsistent with "Jew" vs. "Jewish." They're the same thing. Unless you're a lukewarm Jew; then, you're Jew...-ish. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:47:37 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »

How many Jews in Israel emigrated from the Soviet Union? Fifty percent? More? That may have something to do with the stat you found. The communists did a bang-up job beating faith out of people.

Amatorus
Humilem Armigerum

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »

How many Jews in Israel emigrated from the Soviet Union? Fifty percent? More? That may have something to do with the stat you found. The communists did a bang-up job beating faith out of people.

So they're just using their status to get a free compensation of stolen land and other gifts, courtesy of the guilty West and at expense of the Palestinians?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »

The Holocaust was not based on religious faith, so I'm not sure why you'd think the institution of a Jewish homeland should be.

Amatorus
Humilem Armigerum

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »

The Holocaust was not based on religious faith, so I'm not sure why you'd think the institution of a Jewish homeland should be.

They were offered Ghana, Madagascar, a multitude of options.

Edit: not looking to argue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 10:55:08 PM by Amatorus » Logged

Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »

You're the guy who just discovered he's Antiochian, right? You'll fit right in.

So they're just using their status to get a free compensation of stolen land and other gifts, courtesy of the guilty West and at expense of the Palestinians?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »

Poll: Americans' Belief in God Is Strong--But Declining

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/poll-americans-belief-god-strong-declining

(CNSNews.com) - A new Harris Poll finds that a strong majority (74 percent) of U.S. adults say they believe in God, but that's down from the 82 percent who expressed such a belief in earlier years.

--68 percent believe that Jesus is God or the Son of God, down from 72 percent;

--65 percent believes in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, down from 70 percent;

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »

Uh, yes it was.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »

I'm not surprised. This Khazar mutation of Talmudism can only be practiced by the ignorant or faithless.

Wow, such love.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »

Uh, yes it was.

Which religious faith?  All?  Any in particular?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »

Most Jews in America are Reformed and they tend to be the most liberal in what Jew must believe. There is a lot of intermarriage with non-Jews which would further dilute their belief in God. Secularism in our society also would further contribute to a lack of belief in God.  

My neighbor is a prime example of a Jew, who practices in her faith but doesn't believe in God. She attends temple and her kids went through bar mitzvah practices but their family doesn't believe in God.

Her son was interested in what we believe so I let him hold an icon of Christ as I described who Christ is. I figure it is good to plant seeds because someone else may water those seeds further down the path.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:36:36 PM by Tamara » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »

Uh, yes it was.

Some massacres yes, some no. The Russian's excluded the Karaite Jews as not being responsible for Christ's death and were protected from pogroms.

The Spanish Inquisition was solely based on faith. If you converted you were safe ( but watched very carefully for back sliding).

When the Arabs destroyed most of the Jewish communities in the middle east it was more political than racial or religious

Pick em

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

Uh, yes it was.

Some massacres yes, some no. The Russian's excluded the Karaite Jews as not being responsible for Christ's death and were protected from pogroms.

The Spanish Inquisition was solely based on faith. If you converted you were safe ( but watched very carefully for back sliding).

When the Arabs destroyed most of the Jewish communities in the middle east it was more political than racial or religious

Pick em

If she meant the Nazi one she's very wrong.  You don't measure someone's cranium to determine religion.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:45:26 PM by vamrat » Logged
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »

The Jewish person who is born as such, is still a Jew if he does not have faith, just as any nationality .

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »

Only half? Good for them. I'd bet that the amount of nominal Orthodox people who don't believe in God is probably around half as well, maybe slightly more.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »

Raylight,

There has been a secular strain that has run through the Jewish faith for the last one hundred years. The focus is on social justice in the world and less on a relationship with God.  In other words, social justice becomes almost like an idol since it pulls people's faith way from God.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 07:37:31 PM »

Raylight,

There has been a secular strain that has run through the Jewish faith for the last one hundred years. The focus is on social justice in the world and less on a relationship with God.  In other words, social justice becomes almost like an idol since it pulls people's faith way from God.

Or, in lieu of real religion, some are drawn to secular versions of righteousness. Also, it's not as though most Jews are social crusaders -- most are just normal folks -- not to mention the famous few who are on the record as regarding humanity with some contempt, e.g. a Sigmund Freud or a Murray Rothbard

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: