OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 06:54:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people lose faith when....?  (Read 169 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.
Jurisdiction: Exploring Orthodoxy.

« on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »

Through my journey with faith, I've read about people who lost their faith when something bad happened to them. They lost beloved one, when they lost job, failed in making their goals a reality. Some of them might be angry at God!!

What might be the reason for that ?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:15 PM »

I think it comes from a deep issue that many believe that "god let this happen" or "god caused this to happen" or "god didn't stop this from happening".

The issue I take with this is that we have no idea how God really works in this manner.   Are we puppets on his strings with a little free will?  Do we have FULL free will (and no-interference?)

We really don't know.  Of course he interfered with the exodus.  Interfered with his son in the flesh.  (using interfered in a non-disrespectful way).

Does he interfere when you dog is hit by a car or a relative dies of cancer?

Is it right to test his will?

These are confusing things....

There is one thing I can tell you though.   NONE of us here are getting out of this life in a fleshy bodies.  We are all going to die one way or another.  The trick is to live again and not face the 2nd death.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »

Well, do not most (or nearly all) Christians believe that God directly causes or at least allows everything that happens? If someone believes that someone "up there" has their back, and then all of a sudden a bunch of really bad stuff happens, is it not natural to feel a little betrayed? Now I know that some bad stuff actually helps us grow, as individuals, to become more charitable, to rely on God more, and so forth. But some bad stuff seems to serve no decent purpose whatsoever: child rape, sex slavery, flesh-eating disease, epidermolysis bullosa, starvation, cancer, and so on. Some bad stuff is bad enough to destroy one's faith.

Most people I know who are "spiritual" or religious, and who have not yet had any seriously traumatic events befall them, seem (sometimes naively, it appears to me) to think that God, or the Universe, is blessing them, giving them good gifts and guidance, and favoring them. Many of these same people begin to change their tune when they get a chronic and/or debilitating disease, when they watch a loved one or two die a slow and agonizing death, or something equally terrible. Since we know that bad stuff can happen to us at any time, I would think that having a belief that God is protecting you is potentially setting oneself up for a huge disappointment... potentially a loss of faith altogether.

The problem of suffering is, in my opinion, the greatest challenge to belief in a loving, powerful, and intervening God.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

This is an important issue that can be seen from a different perspective.

There have been times in my life when things happen to me, that I cannot control, that end up many years later having changed me in a good way, and I give that credit to God.

Because through those bad things, I learned things that I never would have, I was humbled at a young age through no fault of my own, but it made me wiser and strengthened my faith.

This is the key, your choice is only if you are going to get bitter and lose faith, or keep above that trap and gain faith, love,and understanding.

That was the test that was given Job.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »

This is an important issue that can be seen from a different perspective.

There have been times in my life when things happen to me, that I cannot control, that end up many years later having changed me in a good way, and I give that credit to God.

Because through those bad things, I learned things that I never would have, I was humbled at a young age through no fault of my own, but it made me wiser and strengthened my faith.

This is the key, your choice is only if you are going to get bitter and lose faith, or keep above that trap and gain faith, love,and understanding.

That was the test that was given Job.

Excellent response!

There are some things we'll never understand either.... All I can say is I pray that God is done testing me with things, and that if he does need to test me, that it will be immensely easier than Job's.   Shocked  I just may fail those too.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »

Sorry for being so negative. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now, and the issue of suffering has been challenging my faith for quite a long time.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Raylight
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian.
Jurisdiction: Exploring Orthodoxy.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:05 AM »

Sorry for being so negative. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch right now, and the issue of suffering has been challenging my faith for quite a long time.

I can relate to you. I myself had very bad crisis of faith, I still have very very little bit of it but I understand that feeling of anger, confusion , and not knowing what to believe or what is true. That is one heck of a bad bad situation.  I hope you will find the way to get out of that. Also know that there are millions of people right now who are facing the same thing you face.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
LenInSebastopol
Dimly Illumined

Faith: Baptized, March 9, 2014
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »

This may have nothing to do with the OP however I will rant anyway.
About a dozen years ago a madman rampaged and killed several Amish school children. I cannot even imagine a worse thing than a parent burying their child.
Within the week their community, including the bereaved parents, brought food, forgiveness and some comfort to the family of the madman.
For me it showed that only God can do that.

Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

This may have nothing to do with the OP however I will rant anyway.
About a dozen years ago a madman rampaged and killed several Amish school children. I cannot even imagine a worse thing than a parent burying their child.
Within the week their community, including the bereaved parents, brought food, forgiveness and some comfort to the family of the madman.
For me it showed that only God can do that.
That happened very close to where I live. What a horrific tragedy it was.  Lord have mercy and may those childrens memories be eternal.  Cry

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: