OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 09:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1509 times) Average Rating: 0
Sojourn

Faith: Roman rite Catholic

« on: December 26, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »

Peace in Christ,

I'm a convert to Roman rite Catholicism but at the beginning of my conversion to Christianity, Orthodoxy played an integral part. Despite practicing Catholicism for several years now, the possibility of the Orthodox being right always rears its head up. I don't know what it is, but the ancient and mystical character of the Orthodox really draws me to it. I figure my search will either lead me to orthodoxy or make me a stronger catholic, either way the result is beneficial.

I don't really know where to begin so I'll ask you guys... is there some historical or theological point you'd recommend I start researching?

Thanks,
Sojourn
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

Sojourn,

Welcome to the forum Smiley  I suppose you will get three handfuls of suggestions on what you could look into... but fwiw, my suggestion would be the Orthodox view of salvation. I guess that's a pretty broad area, though. Specifically, I mean the relationship between God and a person as they "work out their salvation" through a "life in Christ". Or, to use terms that Orthodox Christians sometimes use, I am talking about theosis or deification. Works that I have personally found helpful regarding this subject are...

The Deification of Man: St. Gregory Palamas and the Orthodox Tradition, by Georgios I. Mantzaridis
Deification in Christ: Orthodox Perspectives on the Nature of the Human Person, by Panayiotis Nellas
The Life in Christ by Nicholas Cabasilas
The Institutes and Conferences of St. John Cassian

If you're looking for something online, I'm sure I could find some articles on the subject.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 09:12:53 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Sojourn

Faith: Roman rite Catholic

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:31:15 PM »

Something online that you can recommend would be really appreciated.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »

You can find excerpts of Timothy Ware's "The Orthodox Way" here:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_1.ht

It's a good primer on Orthodoxy and a "must read" for anyone wanting to learn more about the Church.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 10:43:08 PM »

You can find excerpts of Timothy Ware's "The Orthodox Way" here:

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_1.ht

It's a good primer on Orthodoxy and a "must read" for anyone wanting to learn more about the Church.

Two small additions:

1. The link you gave is broken, it should be: http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/history_timothy_ware_1.htm

2. Your link goes to The Orthodox Church, not The Orthodox Way. (Though I also highly recommend The Orthodox Way if the OP wants more book suggestions!)
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »

I am recommending The Orthodox Way as well.  It changed my life.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »

Here are a few articles that I found...

Works and Faith in Orthodoxy
Theosis: Partaking of the Divine Nature
Salvation By Christ: A Response to the Credenda/Agenda

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »

is there some historical or theological point you'd recommend I start researching?

I would start from the chalice. Specifically, the practice of partaking of both species during communion.
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 10:38:24 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but this may be of some interest to you. It's audio from an online Orthodox class. It kind of gives broad overviews of different aspects of Orthodoxy. They only have one more class left to go on Monday but you can listen to all the past episodes here:
http://www.acrod.org/multimedia/audio/conferences/orth101-mp3
This may give you some ideas to look further into.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:50:05 PM »

I would recommend "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology" by Father Michael Pomazansky.  This is a work that was instrumental in leading me to Orthodoxy.  Fr. Pomazansky does a pretty good job of treating the Roman Catholic (and various Protestant) beliefs fairly when comparing them to the Orthodox Church.  This work is also lacking the polemics so common in dogmatic works.  The book seems to me to be written to inform both those who are already Orthodox, as well as those seeking.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »

I would recommend "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology" by Father Michael Pomazansky.  This is a work that was instrumental in leading me to Orthodoxy.  Fr. Pomazansky does a pretty good job of treating the Roman Catholic (and various Protestant) beliefs fairly when comparing them to the Orthodox Church.  This work is also lacking the polemics so common in dogmatic works.  The book seems to me to be written to inform both those who are already Orthodox, as well as those seeking.

I agree. My priest loaned me a copy of that book and it was instrumental for me as well.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

If I may, I'll recommend this article: http://www.antiochian.org/assets/asset_manager/da42e6049df1d08bff1865c1ac19e759.pdf, entitled The View of Sin in the Early Church. 

Tags: For an inquirer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: