OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does God Get Angry?
Yes
No
Yes, but not in the same sense that humans get angry.

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does God Get Angry?  (Read 3779 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »

It's all because we are thinking as men think.
Father, we are men, how else can we think?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »

Well, we will think as men, but let us get it through our heads: God is not like us.

Fair?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »

Well, we will think as men, but let us get it through our heads: God is not like us.

Fair?
True, Father, God is not like us.

But we are like God.

"Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness..."

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil..."

I see what you mean about Sodom and Gomorrah, but I would still call that hate, because for the Hebrews hate was more of an action, rather than a sentiment. God hates iniquity because he ultimately defeats it, he hates human sacrifice in his commandment to end it, he hates death and destroys it.

Now, it has nothing to do of course with fallen hate. Fallen hate is not a real reflection of Divine Hate. Divine Hate and Wrath and Love are not at all opposed. But there has to be a real reflection of God in man or else what is the faith?

I suppose these are important points to me because we believe that humans are called to be Godlike, and it is in us, with God, to be that way, and so we must say that God is not quite so far away in how he chooses to exist, which is why the doctrine of uncreated energies and the incarnation are so important.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:40:06 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »

Pretty darn excellent post...

signed,
Fr. Aidan the Warned
(now y'all have been warned, that I am warned! Don't treat it casually.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:44:43 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2013, 06:01:17 AM »

What about the Scriptures that say, "Be angry but sin not." [Psalm 4:4; Ephesians 4:26]? Would St. Paul instruct us to adopt an action or thought that was not divinely inspired? I agree with Fr. Aidan that we should understand that the biblical authors often used anthropomorphic language. But perhaps we are going too far in the other direction when we say that God does not in any way get angry. Of course, divine anger is something much different than human anger. God is not swayed by emotion. He is not surprised or disappointed by the actions of men. So, His anger is not reactionary. But it still seems evident from Scripture that there is indeed a divine anger. Again, I also point out that Our Lord was angry when He drove out the money changers.

But I am just thinking out loud. It is a dificult issue. Our view of God is not the Islamic view of God. In their efforts to avoid anthropomorphic descriptions of God, Muslims seem to make God into a robotic deity with whom humans can have no emotional connection.

Here is something St. John Chrysostom says about anger:

"Be angry with the devil and not your own member. This is why God has armed us with anger. Not that we should thrust the sword against our own bodies, but that we should baptize the whole blade in the devil's breast."

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 06:13:55 AM »

This is from the Book of Samuel 1 Chapter 15 God commended Saul to kill all the Amalekites, Why ?, the same questions gets raised within my mind why would a Loving God command an Anointed King of Israel to Kill Amalekites even innocent people Huh.

15 Samuel said to Saul, “I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord. 2 This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

4 So Saul summoned the men and mustered them at Telaim—two hundred thousand foot soldiers and ten thousand from Judah. 5 Saul went to the city of Amalek and set an ambush in the ravine. 6 Then he said to the Kenites, “Go away, leave the Amalekites so that I do not destroy you along with them; for you showed kindness to all the Israelites when they came up out of Egypt.” So the Kenites moved away from the Amalekites.

7 Then Saul attacked the Amalekites all the way from Havilah to Shur, near the eastern border of Egypt. 8 He took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and all his people he totally destroyed with the sword. 9 But Saul and the army spared Agag and the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs—everything that was good. These they were unwilling to destroy completely, but everything that was despised and weak they totally destroyed.

10 Then the word of the Lord came to Samuel: 11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, because he has turned away from me and has not carried out my instructions.” Samuel was angry, and he cried out to the Lord all that night.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:16:11 AM by psalm110 » Logged
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 06:40:14 AM »

What do we mean when we say God is unchangeable ?, that he's emotions are not like ours ? does he have one emotion ? or non at all ?.
thethinker

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with Prof. Carlton's statement. The examples you note are of Christ Incarnate, which is when He emptied Himself of His Divinity and was a man.

With respect, I don't think your statement, "...Christ Incarnate, which is when He emptied Himself of His Divinity and was a man..." is an Orthodox statement.

Selam

I concur! Jesus could not cease being divine. He emptied Himself of the free exercise of His divine privileges and became a servant.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »

Hmm, very well put!

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »

God does not get angry. He is perfect love, so all He does is always a consequence of love. An altruistic person never gets angry.
Anger is a problem among creatures who either choose evil/selfishness and so they subject themselves to the possibility of failure when their demands are not met, or creatures who encounter (unfair) opposition from other creatures. However, creatures are called to overcome their anger through God's power and love.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:43:36 PM by IoanC » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:19 PM »

God does not get angry. He is perfect love, so all He does is always a consequence of love. An altruistic person never gets angry.
Anger is a problem among creatures who either choose evil/selfishness and so they subject themselves to the possibility of failure when their demands are not met, or creatures who encounter (unfair) opposition from other creatures. However, creatures are called to overcome their anger through God's power and love.

The primary act for a Christian to do in order to believe the above is to take Scripture except for perhaps three to six verses and throw it into the trash.

Sola Platola.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

The primary act for a Christian to do in order to believe the above is to take Scripture except for perhaps three to six verses and throw it into the trash.

Sola Platola.

Not sure what you mean, but "anger" in the Scripture is just like the word "fear"; it does not suggest negative passion on God's part. If you have an actually angry God, you have a very big problem -- your god is actually satan, or very inferior person, at any rate. Smiley Even a Buddhist will tell you that you don't need to be angry. God's decisions are based on true love and in the light of truth. Even the demons, He did not punish, but sent away because He was a troubling presence to them (since they hate Him).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:15:13 PM by IoanC » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Sola Platola.

Not sure what you mean, but "anger" in the Scripture is just like the word "fear"; it does not suggest negative passion on God's part. If you have an actually angry God, you have a very big problem -- your god is actually satan, or very inferior person, at any rate. Smiley Even a Buddhist will tell you that you don't need to be angry. God's decisions are based on true love and in the light of truth. Even the demons, He did not punish, but sent away because He was a troubling presence to them (since they hate Him).

Hey as long as the Buddhists know more than Scripture, awesome.

Anger is anger. If you have to use an "actually", you have an metaphysical problem, even Heidegger would tell you that.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

Sola Platola.

Anger is anger. If you have to use an "actually", you have an metaphysical problem, even Heidegger would tell you that.

No, you have a problem with not knowing that words in the Scripture actually have meanings that don't match our current language, and were translated from hebrew or greek. I suggest you get yourself a guide to understanding the original words in the Bible or ask an expert. And, anger suggests that God does not allow the free will of creatures and that He Himself is not free, but dependent on whether creatures love or reject Him. Very bad notion of God; even I can try to do better. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:30:55 PM by IoanC » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »

Sola Platola.

No, you have a problem with not knowing that words in the Scripture actually have translations that don't match our current language, and were translated from hebrew or greek. I suggest you get yourself a guide to understanding the original words in the Bible or ask an expert. And, anger suggests that God does not allow the free will of creatures and that He Himself is not free, but dependent on whether creatures love or reject Him. Very bad notion of God; even I can try to do better. Smiley

Yeah, those Greek and Hebrew words are doozies. And Biblical hermeneutics is a really complex subject.

An expert, I guess would be someone who agrees with you? Cause unfortunately, I was forced to learn this sorta stuff from experts or from people who make their entire life's work attempting to make sense of some of the most straight forward and clear writing to shape Western Civilization.

Moses, a Hegel he ain't.

Having an angry God ain't a problem. It only becomes one when that's all you think God is. Sorta like when you reduce God to simply love.

Frankly, I would much rather read Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God than it's possible counterpart:

Sinners in the Heart of Love.

At least Edwards' sermon allows God to be something other than angry, where your thinking reduces God to merely love.

Then you can just get rid of God completely.

It is you I think who might want to consider the rhetoric used when Scripture says God is love. Cause if you believe that to be the whole story, then well,  I think the Beatles have already started working on your new hymns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4p8qxGbpOk

All You Need is Love - Beatles

Fr.Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »

Ioan C has expressed very well the teachings of the Holy Fathers. Not only St. Maximus the Confessor, whom we commemorated this past Sunday, but also St. Gregory the Theologian, St. Anthony the Great (but have to double check that reference), and others.

He/she (the lack of gender clarity on here drives me nuts) does not deserve to be mocked for expressing Patristic thought.

And God being All Love is true. This is not your "warm and fuzzy." It is dangerous and it is a consuming fire. Nothing to trifle with.

Find someone else to make fun of.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:57:17 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: