OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 05:05:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awesome Liturgical Chant  (Read 985 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: December 23, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I found this amazing version of Tantum Ergo on youtube. It's from Corsica. The user who posted this has a lot of music from the early Latin Tradition, much of it Pre-Schism. I posted a similar thread on a Catholic forum, but I thought I would post it here. Is this chant used in Western Orthodox parishes? Would anyone be willing to implement it into their parish or mission? I am just awestruck by the beauty of it.

Here is some more:

Ambrosian Chant - Ecce apertum est Templum tabernaculi
Old Roman Chant -Qui habitat in adiutorio altissimi
Mozarabic Chant - Alleluia

Here is a link to all this user's videos.

I've noticed that a lot of the chanting is similar to Orthodox chanting. The Corsican one sounds a lot like Georgian chant, IMO. I hope that as Western Orthodoxy grows, it will utilize some of this chanting (albeit, in the vernacular). This music is heavenly and inspiring. Please share your comments, experiences, etc. I would love to know what you all think of these hymns.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »

On another discussion thread, a question was raised as to why the Western Rite is not doing so well here in America. Executing well Gregorian Chant and especially Ambrosian chant requires a lot, a lot of discipline and training and, frankly, people are not willing to do learn it and take the time.  Such is a problem with the eastern rite.  People like Byzantine chanting but they don't want to learn it; as such there are so many churches which don't even have chanters and now do everything with Russian style choirs.  The WR is so infused with this Gregorian chant that to remove it would be a huge loss but at the same time, it seems very few people are willing to learn it and implement it.

I fear that here in America, Byzantine chanting may become almost extinct along with Gregorian psalmody. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »

Callixtinus' channel is one of the best for such chant.  Much of the music is Ensemble Organum's, headed by Marcel Peres, and of which the protopsaltis Lykourgos Angelopoulos is a member (selections from Angelopoulos' Greek Byzantine Choir are also on that channel, as well as unique Byzantine recordings such as the Service of the Three Youths and eleventh-century chant from Grottaferatta).  That is his voice in the Ambrosian chant video.  (Melchite nun Soeur Marie Keyrouz, a capable soprano--that unfortunately does not suit Byzantine chant, but certainly Ambrosian--, also chants for this particular recording.)
Tags: chant 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: