OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:48:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheistic Rationalism in kids today...  (Read 1662 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: December 17, 2003, 06:55:25 PM »

A sickening post I found on a secular site on a topic discussing Scientology.  If our society is messed up now, imagine how it will be when 19 year olds such as this are in charge...

God. Allah. Buddha. Zeus. That one guy. I've asked all to strike me down and none have.....'cause none are there to do so. If anyone should be struck down it should be me, and their lack of striking only proves I'm right. Right?

And if I'm wrong, which I am not, I've already resigned to the fact I'd be going to Hell. I'm quite okay with that.  To quote my dad, who was quoting Classy Freddie Blassie: "I'd rather be a King in Hell than a Stooge in Heaven."

Besides, if God exists, the lousy b*****d has already tried to kill me off at least four serious times since I was two and has failed f***ing miserably. How weak is that? The way I see it, I beat God so far.

Hell, I'll go one further and plain out say 'I am God.' That's right, you heard me. I am God. Prove me wrong. Can't? Just as no one can prove any others' right. So there. Hah! **crosses arms and smiles smugly. **

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 07:07:34 PM »

I'll have to tell you about SmiteCam sometime. . .
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 07:29:21 PM »

Young women actually... she apparantly is an actress and model in California.  Go figure.

-Yazid Ibrahim
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 07:47:57 PM »

Sickening? Oh... I don't know... God can take it.

Methinks she doth protest too much.

She's wrestling with this somehow... there's more hope in her struggle than in completely self-satisfied apathy.

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 05:16:46 AM »

And the thread should rather be called Atheistic Irrationalism.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 09:21:26 AM »

Sickening? Oh... I don't know... God can take it.

Methinks she doth protest too much.

She's wrestling with this somehow... there's more hope in her struggle than in completely self-satisfied apathy.

I agree.

A real atheist or agnostic doesn't spend a lot of time worrying about God or religion. He just dismisses them and goes on about his business.

I was that way for years.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Seraphim Reeves
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 10:11:49 AM »

David,

God. Allah. Buddha. Zeus. That one guy. I've asked all to strike me down and none have.....'cause none are there to do so. If anyone should be struck down it should be me, and their lack of striking only proves I'm right. Right?

And if I'm wrong, which I am not, I've already resigned to the fact I'd be going to Hell. I'm quite okay with that.  To quote my dad, who was quoting Classy Freddie Blassie: "I'd rather be a King in Hell than a Stooge in Heaven."

etc., etc...

I'm not sure how "rational" this person is being.

At the same time, I think things like this, if heartfelt, go a long way in "justifying" what the Scriptures teach - that sadly, there will be those who will be seperated from the blessed on the Last Day, and placed in "gehenna".  The word, interestingly enough, comes from a real place, which being an infamous place, came to be used as a garbage dump by the Jews.  Hence, why the name is used to describe the place where the damned will be placed.

It is not because God is vindictive, or for a lack of "trying" on His part.  It is because each of us, has to work out what Light we have been given, or I should say, work out our response to said Light.  Should we find ourselves condemned to gehenna, it will be because we rejected that Light, and preferred other things to It.   IOW, the "judgement" is just that - God's appraisal of what we fundamentally have made of ourselves.

Of course, we should not condemn anyone in this life to such a miserable fate, judging that it is their lot - for until our last breath, there is always time to turn around (not to mention that there is much in the lives of others which will always remain hidden to our eyes.)

However, things like the above are a sobering wake up call.  For while I may not speak with flamboyant blasphemies or overt words of malice towards the Divine Majesty...do I do just the same (or worse!) by my deep seated indifference and hypocricy?

Seraphim

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 11:01:27 PM »

At times, I myself have felt the way this person feels in their post. I can understand from where they are coming from. It is easy to mock people who are in this situation, perhaps that is why so many people have such a contempt and distrust of Christianity, because those who call themselves Christians really aren't by their deeds and words.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 01:00:23 PM »

There but for the grace of God go I.

I have said everything this kid is saying now. As long as she is alive, there is hope for her. If God did it for me, he can do it for her.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 06:14:59 PM »

Seraphim,

Very good points.  I was not aware of the etymology of gehanna, thank you for the information.  As you have said, the important thing is that we do not give up on anyone.  If we are unable to see the image of Christ in these people, we are simply not trying hard enough.  

There but for the grace of God go I.

Indeed.  I guess what I intended by posting this is to motivate a conversation on how we interact with nonreligious people in our daily lives.  Whenever I meet a person with this attitude(albeit usually not quite this abrasive), Often I will refuse to engage this person in the debate that they are seeking, but instead impress upon them the importance of keeping an open mind and perhaps the God who they refuse or are unable to understand will manifest in their lives.  Seek and ye shall find,.  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: