OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:14:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patriarch of Venice?  (Read 465 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: December 23, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

I remember reading a little bit about this title a few years back, but I'm still fuzzy as to what it means. Was Venice recognized as a Patriarchate before the schism? Or was this just an honorary title? From what I've read, the Venetian Patriarchate was still subservient to Rome. It looks like the title has a different meaning for the Latins. From what little I have read, it does not seem like the Patriarch of Venice had an autocephalous Church or even an autonomous one. Any one with insight on this?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »

It is a rather messy history that has to do with the Three-Chapter Controversy, the Patriarch of Aquilea and the Patriarch of Grado.  More or less Aquilea proclaimed themselves a Patriarchate and went into schism in the 6th century.  The Patriarchate was moved to Grado in the early 7th century and soon entered back into communion with Rome.  But, in Aquilea, a rival Patriarchate was established.  By the end of the 7th century, the Patriarchate of Aquilea entered into communion with Rome too.  Both Grado and Aquilea were allowed to maintain the title of "Patriarch" though.  They were honorary titles.  Due to politics, the rise of the Venetian Republic, etc., Grado was superseded by Venice, and Aquilea would later be dissolved into the Archdiocese of Udine and Archdiocese of Gorizia.  Aquilea is now a titular see.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:32:46 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: