OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:16:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian church: Homosexuality is personal choice  (Read 3166 times) Average Rating: 0
Patriarch Noah I
Roman Catholic

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Allentown

Cardinale Siri, ora pro nobis.

« on: December 23, 2009, 02:38:58 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jhcRjyymhm_fzqzblWdA9Cnj8qOgD9CP32981

"MOSCOW — The head of the Russian Orthodox Church said Wednesday that although the church views homosexuality as a sin, gays should not face discrimination.

Patriarch Kirill said "those who sin" must not be punished and therefore the church opposes any discrimination. Same-sex unions, however, should not be considered equal to heterosexual marriages, he said.

"We accept all the choices a person makes — in terms of their sexuality as well," the patriarch said in comments carried by the state RIA Novosti news agency."

I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Is His Holiness endorsing civil-unions intead of marriages? Or is he just saying we shouldn't round them up and stone them?

"The life of a Christian is nothing but a perpetual struggle against self; there is no flowering of the soul to the beauty of its perfection except at the price of pain."
- Padre Pio
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52:11 PM »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jhcRjyymhm_fzqzblWdA9Cnj8qOgD9CP32981

I'm afraid I don't quite understand. Is His Holiness endorsing civil-unions intead of marriages? Or is he just saying we shouldn't round them up and stone them?

He is saying the latter. The article says that the church considers same-sex unions as not equal to marriages (which I agree). I think this statement is a balanced one, maintaining Christian practice without appearing too tyranical.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:12:33 PM »

ISTM he's saying that the Church doesn't support homosexual activity & marriage, but the Church also doesn't support people persecuting homosexuals.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »

I agree.   The ambiguous "we accept all the choices a person makes" is perhaps faulty translation or just obscure language, but the point is that it is a choice, and one that is sin at that, which I think is apparently clear. 
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:13:05 PM »

ISTM he's saying that the Church doesn't support homosexual activity & marriage, but the Church also doesn't support people persecuting homosexuals.

That is how I understand his words, also.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
mathetes

Faith: Believer
Jurisdiction: MJAA

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »

I agree.   The ambiguous "we accept all the choices a person makes" is perhaps faulty translation or just obscure language, but the point is that it is a choice, and one that is sin at that, which I think is apparently clear. 

Good thoughts! I would've preferred it if the translator had substituted the word "tolerate" for "accept." We should never give the impression that sinful choices are acceptable to us. We tolerate, endure, or put up with them until our Lord's return.

"Iron sharpens iron, and a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17 OSB).

"The future isn't what it used to be" (Yogi Berra).
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »

This sort of message is greatly needed in Russia right now. Many believers are extremely intolerant, to the point that at the Moscow Pride parade ('07 I believe) they were literally beating people with processional crosses.  Sad

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:23:33 AM »

Behavior is always a choice, except for the mentally ill of course.

Certain behaviors can never be accepted by the Orthodox Church.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:42 PM »

Like beating people with processional crosses.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »

I've yet to see a group promote that behavior while claiming to uphold Orthodoxy.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »

How you feel about demolishing Churches that perform homosexual "marriages?"

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »

On the one hand, it's a good thing- the statement aims to protect the well being of homosexuals in a largely anti-gay society. On the other hand, it casts sexual orientation in terms of a choice, which only serves to further the antiquated idea that homosexuals chose their orientation (the fact that no sane person would chose to be gay in Russia is proof alone that this isn't the case) , as opposed to being created/hardwired that way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:05:47 AM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »

On the one hand, it's a good thing- the statement aims to protect the well being of homosexuals in a largely anti-gay society. On the other hand, it casts sexual orientation in terms of a choice, which only serves to further the antiquated

Because tried and true of course is no good.

idea that homosexuals chose their orientation (the fact that no sane person would chose to be gay in Russia is proof alone that this isn't the case) , as opposed to being created/hardwired that way.
because that's the opinion du jour, and so we must bow to it.

Btw, is that Gene Robinson, the Sodomite adulterer that the Episcopalians installed as their "bishop" in NH, in your avatar?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »

On the one hand, it's a good thing- the statement aims to protect the well being of homosexuals in a largely anti-gay society. On the other hand, it casts sexual orientation in terms of a choice, which only serves to further the antiquated

idea that homosexuals chose their orientation (the fact that no sane person would chose to be gay in Russia is proof alone that this isn't the case) , as opposed to being created/hardwired that way.

Btw, is that Gene Robinson, the Sodomite adulterer that the Episcopalians installed as their "bishop" in NH, in your avatar?

No, that's Gene Robinson, the God fearing and compassionate Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire. You know, he's part of that church that can grapple with issues that took place after the 9th century.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:31:11 AM »

No, that's Gene Robinson, the God fearing and compassionate Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire. You know, he's part of that church that can grapple with issues that took place after the 9th century.
You mean the one born of marrying a sister in law, casting aside a faithful wife (which does bear a simultude to Gene Robinson's personal behavior) because she doesn't bear a son, serial adultery, murder of spouses on drummed up charges of incest and facts of loss of virginity prior to marriage.....that church? It hasn't grappled, it has succumbed.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »

You mean the one born of marrying a sister in law, casting aside a faithful wife (which does bear a simultude to Gene Robinson's personal behavior) because she doesn't bear a son, serial adultery, murder of spouses on drummed up charges of incest and facts of loss of virginity prior to marriage.....that church? It hasn't grappled, it has succumbed.

Yes, that's the Church. Not to be confused with the one that butchered and burned alive tens of thousands of Christians in Russia who wanted to cross themselves the "wrong" way.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »

This thread is heating up. Please everyone, take a step back.

Fr Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

How you feel about demolishing Churches that perform homosexual "marriages?"
Are you referring to the case in Russia where they decided not to repair the dilapidated church because it had been desecrated by a priest who violated Church teachings?
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »

Yes, that's the Church. Not to be confused with the one that butchered and burned alive tens of thousands of Christians in Russia who wanted to cross themselves the "wrong" way.
Are you blaming the modern Church for actions taken by a Medieval Tsar?

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »

Are you blaming the modern Church for actions taken by a Medieval Tsar?

Of course not. Nor am I blaming the Episcopal Church for the actions of Henry VIII.

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »

If V. Gene Robinson had announced from the pulpit that he was leaving his wife because he had realized that he was only attracted to young women, would his congregation have applauded him as well?
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »

If V. Gene Robinson had announced from the pulpit that he was leaving his wife because he had realized that he was only attracted to young women, would his congregation have applauded him as well?
I wonder....

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »

As I recall, the one's crossing themselves "in the wrong way" locked themselves in their Churches and burned themselves alive.  Do find a correction if that is incorrect.

Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »

As I recall, the one's crossing themselves "in the wrong way" locked themselves in their Churches and burned themselves alive.  Do find a correction if that is incorrect.

Some, yes. Others, torture and murder.

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53:33 PM »

I wonder....
You...you're not suggesting that they might by hypocrites, are you?  Shocked GASP!
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 04:58:53 PM »

There's choice attraction and then there's genetically predisposed orientation. If anything, he began to live his life according to the latter - his actual nature. I'm sure societal norms which are, of course, not in any sense God given, dictated the course of his early love life. Plenty of gay men and women try for years to live a lie against their nature, only to find it unbearable to any longer live that lie.

What if an ancient hagiography told the story of a man who left his wife to become a monk. Would that be celebrated by the Orthodox? Because it is.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:59:25 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »

There's choice attraction and then there's genetically predisposed orientation.
Pausing here to note that no one has been able to identify a genetic link to same-sex attraction.
If anything, he began to live his life according to the latter - his actual nature. I'm sure societal norms which are, of course, not in any sense God given, dictated the course of his early love life.
How is any of that different from a man who realizes twenty years and several children into a marriage that he is not attracted to his spouse in any way but has an overwhelming urge to run off with a much younger woman?

You seem to be suggesting that if the attraction is strong enough, then it isn't sinful but is something to be celebrated.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »

Thread locked in light of recent moratorium on discussion of homosexuality until after Pentecost
Tags: homosexuality 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: