OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have any books made you literally LOL?  (Read 1885 times) Average Rating: 0
Tony

« on: December 17, 2003, 06:25:03 PM »

The only books that have made me LOL in certain scenes so far have been _Great Expectations_ by Charles D*i*c*kens, _Dead Souls_ by Nikolai Gogol and _Rebellion_ by Joseph Roth.  I am currently reading _Decline and Fall_ by Evelyn Waugh and while it is touted by many as one of the funniest novels with a laugh on every page, I've only snickered for a second. How about anyone else?

In Christ,
Anthony
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 06:25:58 PM by Tony » Logged
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 09:47:24 PM »

Monty Python's Flying Circus "Just the Words."  Won't tell you how embarrassed I was in the store while laughing my head off.
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 10:38:42 PM »

I think Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy did it for me.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 04:43:32 AM »

Ditto. Pretty much anything written by Douglas Adams (may he rest in peace).

Also, though he hasn't written any books that I know of, Dave Barry of Miami Herald fame has cause me to spray my monitor with coffee on occasion.

John.
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 05:18:14 AM »

Most stuff by Terry Pratchett. But Jane Austen sometimes.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 07:21:13 AM »

But Jane Austen sometimes.

Now that you mention Jane Austin, I remember having a good laugh at times while reading Pride and Prejudice. I think it was the relationship between Elizabeth's parents that produce the funniest parts in my vague memory.

John.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 09:06:50 AM »

I just recently re-read the Roman historian Tacitus and found his descriptions of all the actions the emperor Nero tried to kill his mother and failed.  A horrible motive, but the way in which the attempts all failed and Nero's reaction is something you would see in a good comedy.

The funniest episode is where Nero had a boat built that would instantly fall apart after some rigging was jarred.  Nero told his mother that she needed a rest and should take a sea trip.  He took her to Ostia, and waved her good bye.  After the boat was out at sea, a servant under Nero's instructions pulled the cord and the boat fell apart.  Nero declared his mother dead and started to have a party.  His mother survived and swam all the way to shore.  Drenched, she bursted in on Nero's dinner party.  Nero nearly chocked on his food when he saw her.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 10:33:28 AM »

depends on what kind of laughing you are talking about - funny laughing or disturbed laughing?  

Funny Laughing - I agree, the Hitchhikers series by Douglas Adams.  

Disturbed Laughing - Hillary’s big book of lies, ANYTHING by Michael Moore, ANYTHING by Al Frankin - these books because they are just plain LAUGHABLE
ALSO -
Dumbing Down our Kids by Charles Sykes, Original Intent by David Barton because what they talk about is disturbingly amusing.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 10:58:09 AM »

No. But the LOTR movies made me bored.
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 12:20:53 PM »

Disturbed Laughing

In a book by PJ O'Rourke, he describes a young crack dealer coming home (to his Grandparents house IIRC) and the scene that unfolds as he confronts the officers that had invaded his 'castle'.  I remember literally laughing out loud at the minds eye picture that was before me.
ambrosemzv

Pray unto God for us, Holy Ambrose of Optino!

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 01:31:47 PM »

Believe it or not, the first third of Moby Dick is wickedly funny, and includes a sharp satire on American Protestantism's tendency toward reductionist/pragmatist thinking.

Some scenes that had me in guffaws:

In ch. 17, Queequeg, the Cannibal, is carrying out his "Ramadan," sitting cross-legged, chanting, in the inn room he shares with the vaguely Protestant (anti-) hero, Ishmael, with the door firmly locked.  Outside in the hall, Ishmael is so incensed by the idea of this 'mystical mumbo-jumbo,' that he hurls his body full force against the door, which of course, Queequegs opens just in time to have Ishmael fall into the room (one of the first uses of this prat fall, no doubt).

In the third and fourth chapters, Ishmael winds up having to share a room, and even a bed, with the immense, heavily tatooed cannibal, Queequeq.

And in ch. 10, Ishmael, having just listened to a strangely disembodied, but logical, Calvinist sermon, engages in an apparently
flawless syllogism that leads inextricably to the conclusion:  "ergo, I must turn idolater."

It is a shame how dreadly this book is taught, and misinterpreted, in high school English classes.  If you haven't given it a chance, try it again.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 01:36:53 PM by ambrosemzv » Logged

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne comprend pas.  -Pascal
ambrosemzv

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 01:34:37 PM »

What the . . . ?!  Anyone want to tell me why, when I type the title of an American classic in the normal way, it comes out "Moby richard?"  That is truly idiotic.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 01:35:55 PM by ambrosemzv » Logged

Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 01:37:39 PM »

LOL .  I was reflecting on the sorry state of my education, not ever hearing of this classic 'Moby richard'.  Seriously, it went right past me Cheesy
ambrosemzv

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 02:26:34 PM »

Then, there's that little African antelope, the Richard-Richard. Roll Eyes

PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 04:44:29 PM »

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. I read it on a flight from San Francisco to Chicago. This is quite possibly one the funniest books every written by an American author, IMHO.

Ha ha, you said Richard..
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: