OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:13:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Church in America: Slavonic vis a vis Serbian  (Read 2018 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »

In your average Serbian parish in America, other than when English may be used, what percentage of the liturgy is in Slavonic, and what percentage in modern Serbian? Just trying to get a rough idea. I once attended a liturgy that was about half Slavonic, half Serbian.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »

While my parish is all English, another parish nearby is currently all Church Slavonic, no modern Serbian.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:46:50 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »

Resurrection Cathedral off the kennedy expressway at canfield ext. has one english liturgy followed by a staro [old] slovanic Liturgy ,,otherwise it english and staro slovenski mixed ....or all old slovanic
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:08:25 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »

Resurrection Cathedral off the kennedy expressway at canfield ext. has one english liturgy followed by a staro [old] slovanic Liturgy ,,otherwise it english and staro slovenski mixed ....or all old slovanic

I thought their second Liturgy was in Serbian. I was there about a year or so ago and in their bulletin said Serbian and so does their website. I've only gone to the English Liturgy though.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:44:23 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

In the two parishes I've attended - both primarily English with touches of Serbian such as Lord Have Mercy, the Our Father, and during Lent I recall during the time when the Priest is praying over the Gifts we had our small choir introduce a beautiful Hymn which I can not remember the name of. Maybe someone else can help remember it.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:50 PM »

I would like it if the liturgy was all in serbian, But its not,  only in the church old slovanik,,the sermon is in serbian and announcements .Gospels are chanted church slovanic the readings are in serbian by a lay person....we sing the hymn to Saint Sava in serbian on his feast day...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:57:05 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »

Cont---- Iv noticed when we ,hear the Holy Liturgy served in old Church Slovanic .one gets so use to it ,it becomes more understandable over time and it seems like it's in our serbian language though its really not.... Grin

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »

Just curious, are there people in the Serbian Church who are upset that they are introducing modern Serbian into the Liturgy?

Is there a faction of people in the Serbian Church who want nothing but OCS for the liturgy and no Serbian at all?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »

Just curious, are there people in the Serbian Church who are upset that they are introducing modern Serbian into the Liturgy?

Is there a faction of people in the Serbian Church who want nothing but OCS for the liturgy and no Serbian at all?

Iv never ever heard about all serbian or modern serbian in Holy Liturgy ,Or even about a movement thats pushing for it...I better get back in to the Grapevine and find out.....As soon as i find out, ill let you know if its true or not....
In the serbian Monastery churches women to the left men to the right no pews upon entering ,,,never heard about  our women complaining about it ,,ever...
Churches that have pews people mix sit were they want ,Hate those pews ,the organs in the new calendar greek churches i hate even more ....

peteprint
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:33 AM »

In my parish, it's about 35% in English, and about 65% Slavonic.  As I read along in the liturgy book (which has the Slavonic on one side and English on the facing page) The Priest and the Deacon will switch from English to Slavonic and back again every couple of pages or so.  The choir sings almost exclusively in Slavonic except for the creed. 

The Deacon will read the Gospel in English, then Father will read the same Gospel reading in Serbian.  The homily that follows is always in English.  At Christmas last year Father gave the homily in English and then again in Serbian (since so many more people show up on Christmas, and many of them are older). 

I think a bit of Serbian is spoken on Sundays for the announcement portion, so each week I hear three languages over the course of the morning.  Sometimes I get lost even when following in the book;  when that happens I just pray silently (usually the Jesus Prayer) so that I won't "tune out" until they switch back to English.  That has happened in the past where, when a lengthy part of the service is in Slavonic, I have found my mind wandering, looking around at the other people, etc.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »

My priest (from Serbia) does not want to use Serbian in the Liturgy.  We are about 75% Slavonic and 25% English.  The Epistle and Sermon are in English.  The Gospel is read in English, Serbian, and Slavonic.  I will be talking with him a lot more tomorrow as we bake some Holy Bread together and will find out more.  As I understand it, his preference (as well as mine) would be to have the non-variable parts of the Liturgy in Slavonic.  Our Parish has quite a mix of Slavs; Serbian, Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Georgian, Kazakastani, and the like.  Most speak at least some English, and understand the Slavonic Liturgy.  It seems like a good portion of the Serbs are second or third generation.  If the Liturgy was done in Serbian, I am not sure that many people would understand it.  Anyway, this is just my observation.  Reality may differ from this somewhat.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »

a friend of mine tells me that in Wisconsin, there was her Serbian Church which did a slavonic liturgy, then an English liturgy.  there was another that did liturgy in just Slavonic.  as the slavonic liturgies, the sermon was alwayse in Serbian.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JHP17

OC.net

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 08:37:44 PM »

in Oz Serb churches use only Church Slavonic (sometimes English for a wedding and rarely modern Serbian). we are much more traditional here. No pews unless the church has been purchased already containing pews.

NULL
Esteban

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 12:03:35 AM »

At my parish, nearly all the priest's parts are done in Serbian (with perhaps a Small Litany in Slavonic, and a mixed Serbian/English litany here and there), while the standard responses are sung in Church Slavonic. (I have only very seldom heard any standard responses sung in the Serbian language anywhere.) Troparia and kontakia, together with the stikhira at the other Services, more often than not are done in Serbian--though things like the troparion/kontakion of the Temple, O Protection of Christians, and the like are usually sung in Church Slavonic. The Epistle is read in either Serbian or English (depending on the reader), and the Gospel always in Serbian and English.

A nearby parish, however, uses Church Slavonic exclusively; this was formerly the local Free Serbian parish. As a matter of fact, I find that more often than not the former Free Serbian parishes tend to have services in Church Slavonic, whereas Serbian is rather widespread elsewhere. Bishop Longin himself, as I have heard them express more than once, prefers to serve in Church Slavonic and does so exclusively at Nova Gračanica.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:04:33 AM by Esteban » Logged

"This life has been given to you for repentance. Do not waste it in vain pursuits."

--St Isaac the Syrian
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »

The late Metropolitan Christopher was also a stickler for tradition ,,He even Had the Choir Sing in Greek....I can't speak for all the Serbian Churches ,because i allways attended St.Sava and New Gracanica Monastery....

At my parish, nearly all the priest's parts are done in Serbian (with perhaps a Small Litany in Slavonic, and a mixed Serbian/English litany here and there), while the standard responses are sung in Church Slavonic. (I have only very seldom heard any standard responses sung in the Serbian language anywhere.) Troparia and kontakia, together with the stikhira at the other Services, more often than not are done in Serbian--though things like the troparion/kontakion of the Temple, O Protection of Christians, and the like are usually sung in Church Slavonic. The Epistle is read in either Serbian or English (depending on the reader), and the Gospel always in Serbian and English.

A nearby parish, however, uses Church Slavonic exclusively; this was formerly the local Free Serbian parish. As a matter of fact, I find that more often than not the former Free Serbian parishes tend to have services in Church Slavonic, whereas Serbian is rather widespread elsewhere. Bishop Longin himself, as I have heard them express more than once, prefers to serve in Church Slavonic and does so exclusively at Nova Gračanica.

cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

This is an old thread, but . . .

Ours is half in Serbian, half in Slavonic and half in English.

Our liturgies are really long.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: