OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 10:36:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divine Liturgy in Congo  (Read 1611 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« on: December 22, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »

These videos show Divine Liturgy being celebrated in Congo. Very inspiring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJAmkvCmtU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIgc7gdoRM&feature=player_embedded
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Is it common in Greek tradition for blessed to act as subdeacons (I doubt that  kids are ordained subdeacons) to cense?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:03:37 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »

Great Video's thanks.... Smiley

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:50:53 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Is it common in Greek tradition for blessed to act as subdeacons (I doubt that  kids are ordained subdeacons) to cense?

The Greek tradition doesn't have the same hangup about who can cense like the Russian tradition has. The fact that the kids are using the hand censer to cense the church makes sense in that the hand censer is very common even in Greek household to cense the home. In some monastic practices the hand censar belongs to the ecllesiarch and he does the censing at the start of Orthros and before the meals even if he is not ordained.

Joseph
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

Thanks for sharing!

Is it common in Greek tradition for blessed to act as subdeacons (I doubt that  kids are ordained subdeacons) to cense?

The Greek tradition doesn't have the same hangup about who can cense like the Russian tradition has. The fact that the kids are using the hand censer to cense the church makes sense in that the hand censer is very common even in Greek household to cense the home. In some monastic practices the hand censar belongs to the ecllesiarch and he does the censing at the start of Orthros and before the meals even if he is not ordained. 

I don't think I've ever seen a kid cense the church (kazion or not), but I have seen them cense the icon carried by the priest, or the gifts in the Great Entrance; and certainly they've held the censor between uses (for Artoclasia, Memorial/Trisagion, etc.).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »

At St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona, the Ecclesiarch censes the temple  with the kazion during the singing of the Trisagion at Liturgy (after "Glory...& Now...," when "Holy God..." is subjected to a very prolongued repeat).

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »

Is it common in west Africa to serve the whole Liturgy in Greek among the native population, or is it mixed and matched, or does it vary with parishes?   I assume perhaps depends on the diocesan bishop?   
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

^ I know from stories related to me by Kenyan clergy that they did the Liturgy in Swahili, but had learned a fair amount of Greek.  I also know that a few bishops have been working on translations to particular local dialects (rather than the various pan-African languages).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »

^ I know from stories related to me by Kenyan clergy that they did the Liturgy in Swahili, but had learned a fair amount of Greek.  I also know that a few bishops have been working on translations to particular local dialects (rather than the various pan-African languages).

In the crypt/meeting hall of Helsinki's Uspensky Cathedral earlier this year, there was an exhibition of Divine Liturgy translations into the many, many minority languages of Kenya. Being a linguist, I found this all fascinating. But it's a pity that the peoples of Africa can have the liturgy in their own language, while in the Russian Orthodox Church even the minorities with little to no Russian skills are told they must pray in Church Slavonic.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »

It is a beautiful video. It is very heart warming to see those children singing. Though, I don't see why some of the parts are in Greek since I didn't see many Greeks in the church. How come they don't do it in French (being the official language) or one of the other languages in the Congo? What was the language being sung during Psalm 135?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »

Perhaps because they received the Orthodox faith from Greek speaking churches; perhaps because Greek is the original language ou our liturgy. I don't see them bothered by it at all.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »

Perhaps because they received the Orthodox faith from Greek speaking churches; perhaps because Greek is the original language ou our liturgy. I don't see them bothered by it at all.

They don't and I really don't have a problem with it. I was just curious.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »

More about the Orthodox Church in Africa (in Russian):

Orthodoxy in Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt and Tunusia.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: