OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:04:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Thou art Peter Jackson"  (Read 14009 times) Average Rating: 0
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« on: December 17, 2003, 02:59:39 PM »

Went to a midnight showing of Return of the King.  In five theaters, every seat was sold out.  Didn't leave the theater until after 4am.

This was incredible.  So much better than Fellowship or TTT that it's hard to compare.  I can't really talk about it without spoiling it.  There are changes from the book, nothing quite as big as Elves at Helm's Deep or Faramir in TTT.  See it, see it now!  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 04:57:10 PM »

My SWMBO and I have tickets for the 8 PM show tonight.  (My mom is coming up to babysit the little guy, so we're all set!).  I can't wait!  I've watched the extended versions of FOTR and TTT the past two nights respectively, and I've been listening to the soundtracks in my car.    Grin

Just about 4 hours to go.....  Shocked

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 05:34:07 PM »

I'll see it tomorrow (12/18) at 7:30 PM.  I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight Wink

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 05:34:36 PM »

DT, let me know what you think.  I may go see it again tonight.  

Last night there were at least two dozen people dressed up as characters.  And no, it wasn't me dressed up as Gimli. Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 05:42:43 PM »

DT, let me know what you think.  I may go see it again tonight.  

Will do.  I'm going to try my best and see it a second time sometime before Christmas, but with junior it will take some planning ahead.  BTW--the little man was still awake when I started FOTR the other night, and his eyes got really wide and he was really cooing during the opening Shire sequence.  Smiley

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 05:43:27 PM »

I would coo too if I was in the Shire! Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 09:34:16 AM »

And...WOW!!!  Shocked I agree with David that it is even better than the first two.  My only complaint was that it was too SHORT, but that will be resolved when the extended version comes out.  Grin However, the pacing was excellent IMO, and the battles were awesome.  There were about 3 or 4 places in the movie where my wife and I got misty eyed if not choked up  :'( .  And while I enjoyed it tremendously, I was somewhat saddened that it was over  Sad (like the way I felt after reading the book each time).  I hope that Peter Jackson will be able to do The Hobbit  some time in the near future.

In short, I'm already looking forward to seeing it again with my sister and her husband (who both also saw it last night) around Christmas time.   Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 10:56:14 AM »

They cut out over an HOUR from the theatrical release.  I'm sure most of that will make it back into the extended version DVD.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 11:08:18 AM »

They cut out over an HOUR from the theatrical release.  I'm sure most of that will make it back into the extended version DVD.

I agree.  I told my wife the same thing last night after the movie.  They can add an hour EASILY.  Smiley

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 03:54:59 PM »

And it looks like from the way they filmed the Gates of Mordor scene that they had filmed the Mouth of Sauron(one of my favorite moments in ROTK).  

Going to see it again tonight!

-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 04:21:51 PM »

And it looks like from the way they filmed the Gates of Mordor scene that they had filmed the Mouth of Sauron(one of my favorite moments in ROTK).  

I was kind of thinking the same thing.  At first I was disappointed they didn't show that part, but I have a feeling he will be added to the DVD.  Likewise, the near-"confrontation" between Gandalf and the WitchKing will probably be added back as well, as I recall seeing part of that scene in the trailer this summer.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2003, 01:15:28 AM »

Peter Jackson should be declared a saint.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2003, 09:31:45 AM »

Over the past couple of days I decided to read some of the negative reviews of the movie/trilogy and see why some (albeit, a small minority) of critics don't like the movie. Here are a few reasons that jumped out at me which seemed common to most of the negative reviews:

1. There is a clear cut battle between good and evil.  According to the critics, reality is more complex.  Along these lines, these reviewers seemed distressed at the Christian themes expressed in the movie, some even implied that it is a veiled glorification of the Crusades or other forms of Eurocentrism and Western Imperialism. (One guy even admitted he disagreed with the political and social conservatism of the movies)

2.  These same reviewers generally thought there was some ambiguous homosexuality among the hobbits evidenced by their sworn devotion to each other and the "longing" (among other adjectives) looks they gave to each other. (SHEEESH!!!!)  Along these lines, these critics pointed to the constant imagery of towers, swords, and spears as an example of phallocentrism or even homoeroticism.  (I wonder what these folks are thinking about much of the time   Embarrassed )

The funny thing is that the ones that bristled at the movies' conservative values were the same ones that kept finding latent references to homosexuality in the movies--talk about consistency.   Roll Eyes

Other gripes included becoming tired at the repeated reference to "the end" in its various expressions; that ROTK was basically the same as TTT; that the Army of the Dead was "cheesy"; and that the movies seemed to end several times.  

After reading these reviews, it becomes apparent that some just don't get it, but maybe they should be excused somewhat as it is evident they have not read the books (or at least have not comprehended what they read).  :-";"xx

Ksenia

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2003, 09:06:46 PM »

Ok, I have to say, I was a huge dork!

A priest friend of mine and his wife got 4 tickets for Trilogy Tuesday (All LoTR, all the time!).  One of their friends backed out, so they invited me to come out.  As a reward for finishing my first semester of seminary, I went.  To Ohio.  For a movie.  I'm a dork!  The 13+ hours of the movies totally rocked!  I will, however, never do a trilogy like that again!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2003, 12:48:38 PM »

<<doing a happy dance>> my brother's coming tonight & he's bringing bootlegged dvd of ROTK...  sometimes it's useful to have a little brother who has friends with good connections...

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 02:20:47 PM »

It's better just to go and see it at the theatre.  The big Screen makes ALL the difference.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 03:54:24 PM »

An excellent review I read of RotK
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=336180&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

The best way for me to review Return of the King is to relate to you my feeling after I stepped out of the theatre. I stayed until the final credit rolled and was the last person to exit the theatre. It was all so desolate around me as I left the world of Tolkien and turned to face a couple hundred empty chairs, discarded popcorn bags and candy wrappers. The final note in Howard Shore’s score had been played, the screen faded to black and the film was over.

I stepped out into the chilling Canadian winter wind and pulled my coat collar up around my neck to dispel the frigid pull of December as the people filed out around me. Their conversations and musings regarding the film whizzed by me like music from car radios racing down the road and around a corner and words exited their lips became cold fog on the air. Though the night was cold I had an immense feeling of warmth inside me and the best way to place that feeling into words is to call it satisfactionGǪpure satisfaction. For 3 -+ hours I had been entertained and deeply entranced by the magic of cinema. The Return of the King is the very reason why we go to the moviesGǪto get lost in the story and the world the film creates and forgot about our debts or petty arguments and maybe even the vast troubles in our world and for a short time, there in the darkness of a movie theatre, become lost.

Yet, here I was nowGǪoutside of a theatre and gazing across the street at the strip mall, the cars pulling out of the parking lot, the large glowing lights of the franchise restaurants -the Burger Kings and the McDonalds--, behind me the neon light of the cinema blinked on, a car pulled up blasting some loud rap music and some teens raced each other to the front seat and slowly the magic began to fade and, again, I was left to reality. I was no longer in Middle Earth.

The Lord of the Rings films were great experiences but the finally was something more as we, the audience, were on Frodo’s quest for three years and the films became a bit of a yearly tradition, a Christmas time treat to look forward to. As my sister pulled up to drive me home I felt a tinge of sadness inside upon the realization that there was no fourth film next year. The story was complete. I stepped out of the cold and into the car. The radio was playing some top 40 hit. My sister asked me how I enjoyed the film and how do you explain the journey in the single expected sentence? Instead of replying instantly with the usual “It was good” I looked about me, at the crowds leaving the theatre, at the discarded cigarette butts and litter on the ground, I looked across to the light logos and strip mall, I looked at the large theatre itself, a looming building emanating loud music with blazing lights scattered about posters of films I didn’t really care about and finally I looked at my sister. Yes, what could I say? Finally, I just whispered the first thing that came to mind: “Well, I’m back.”

Indeed, I was.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 12:37:37 AM »

Well, I finally saw ROTK today and I really enjoyed it.

I first read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings way back in the late 1970s. I have since read all of them numerous times. For awhile, I was reading them each autumn. When I began to anticipate each sentence in each novel, I discontinued that practice, and it has now been several years since my last reading.

I find the new popularity of LOTR somewhat disconcerting. I had always stupidly treasured it and The Hobbit as somehow specially my own, my secret.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, however. Part of what makes a literary work a classic is its universal quality, its essential connection to every human soul.

As a LOTR purist I won't say that there haven't been some disappointments for me in Peter Jackson's work.

But when all the various peoples gathered in Minas Tirith bowed in honor to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, I had to fight back the tears.

Well done.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 09:36:57 AM »

Well, it is true that I was dissapointed in a few parts, however I think that this is unavoidable.  In transferring an epic novel into an epic film, there are decisions on how to depict characters, events, etc.  However, there are a few things that I feel Jackson brought out in the movies that were brilliant.  Things such as:

Frodo's belief that he must try and save Gollum so that Frodo can believe he himself won't completely be lost to the power of the ring.

Theoden's loss of hope after he is reawakened to realize his son is dead, and the rebirth of hope spurred on by Eowyn at Pelennor fields.  Eowyn: "But I must save you"  Theoden: "You already have".

Boromir's character was amazing in the films, but that is also due to Sean Bean's wonderful portrayl.  

So in my opinion, at least, thare are good things about the movies that will increase my enjoyment of the books in the future.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 10:03:03 AM »

It looks like I'm FINALLY going to get to see RotK tomorrow afternoon. Lacking suspended animation technology we had to find a day when the children could visit Grandma and Granddaddy for a long time  Grin  

I assure you all that I have not given in to the sin of Envy, but have rejoiced other's good fortune that they have been able to see the movie and enjoyed it. Wink

Now to find some tickets

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2003, 01:49:30 PM »

It looks like I'm FINALLY going to get to see RotK tomorrow afternoon. Lacking suspended animation technology we had to find a day when the children could visit Grandma and Granddaddy for a long time  Grin  

I assure you all that I have not given in to the sin of Envy, but have rejoiced other's good fortune that they have been able to see the movie and enjoyed it. Wink

Now to find some tickets

Ebor

I'm going to see it again on Monday, God willing.  Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2003, 02:25:20 PM »

Monday for the first time, with my wife. She doesn't quite get it all. Smiley Especially when FOTR ended and I told her she had to wait a year to find out what happened next.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 03:34:05 PM »

"What has it got in it's pocketses?"

TICKETS!! that's what!  For tomorrow early afternoon, right after church!.

Right! now to remember the list that I was told:

Do not drink too much coffee or other liquid.  
Visit the restroom in the theater before the movie starts.
Take a handkerchief for the end.
"Breathe! That's the key.  Keep Breathing."  

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 06:50:09 PM »

But when all the various peoples gathered in Minas Tirith bowed in honor to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, I had to fight back the tears.

You and me both.  I saw it for the second time yesterday and again had the same reaction.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003, 12:29:39 AM »

Why fight them back? After reading the books at least five times and seeing the two previous films at least that many times, I considered it the very least due to such a moving epic tale.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 01:09:26 AM »

Maybe it's my age.  I'm going on 58.  I enjoy movies, always have.  I've enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Triology, but I can't get as ecstatic as some of these younger guys and girls...or is it mainly just guys?  Saw the final film on Dec. 25.  It was a fine film!  Even brought a tear to my eye a couple of times when you see the relationships between these characters.  But, when the movie is over, what I'm left with is less a sense of deep human/spiritual experience, and more a sense of really good special effects, vast scenery, incredible computer generated scenes, epic scenes of battles  (always a little hard for me to understand how one lead character can address his words to thousands of soldiers all at once), and those sorts of things.  And finally, it seemed to take so long for the movie to finally end.  Like, let's milk this stuff for all it's worth.  Oh, and I got tired of seeing all these long closeups of Frodo's face.  I mean, let's not be so obvious about trying to get the audience to really "feel" for Frodo.

But, it was enjoyable, an entertaining movie.  But hardly the thing that should result in the canonization of Peter Jackson.

Critics were cited in previous messages here.  They sound to me like critics who don't share a sympathy to the Christian message.  So check out Ralph C. Wood, English professon ar Baylor University, and very familiar with Tolkien, etc.  http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/150/31.0.html.

Wood writes:

This ethical and artistic failure becomes most evident in the third movie's depiction of Gollum, the wretched hobbit who, having possessed the Ruling Ring for five hundred years, has been virtually devoured by it. In The Two Towers Jackson revealed Gollum to be a conflicted soul even in his consuming greed. And here he powerfully depicts Gollum's original Cain-like murder in seizing the Ring. But Jackson soon removes our sympathy with the conflicted Gollum—and thus our complicity in his crimes—by turning him into a pathetically comic and merely devious figure. Jackson even allows Gollum to create a bizarre alienation between the utterly loyal servant Sam Gamgee and his heroic master Frodo Baggins. But instead of being emotionally wrought with concern that these two dearest of friends should suddenly be divided, I found myself sniggering at this outrageous violation of Tolkien's great book.

While having positive things to say about the trilogy, Wood concludes his article with this:
The lesson to be learned from this seriously-flawed adaptation of The Return of the King is that the movies—like the Frank Peretti novels and the Left Behind books—often tempt us with their quick and obvious solutions to evils that require great subtlety to discern and even greater patience to remedy. The Lord of the Rings abjures such deadly allurements by its very length, some 1200 pages. The reading of it requires a disciplined act of devotion and discrimination. So do all of the other good things in life, although this movie, alas, does not.

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 11:57:39 AM »

Just been to see ROTK. Enjoyed it a lot but felt slightly disappointed by the ending. Well very disappointed.

The last 15 minutes just seemed to be a lot of people grinning and hugging each other. And the return to the Shire was especially disappointing.

Maybe the extended version will add a lot of value. Even my non-Tolkien daughter felt there was a lot of jumping around and skipping necessary connectivity.

But I enjoyed it and got a tremendous sense of what it might have been like standing in a line with a sword against an enemy that was intent on destroying your home and family.

PT

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 10:16:37 PM »

I was a consumate martyr and babysat for my sister ahd her husband so they could go and watch ROTK.  IMAGINE - while they were watching epic battles for the souls of middle earth, I was fighting epic battles with a 2 1/2 YO, a 18 MO, and a 5 MO.  I think I'd rather take on Sauron!!

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003, 11:56:23 AM »

Well, my first words upon leaving were, "I need to go to the bathroom." (I'm sure that was a common reaction.)

More seriously, we had very little to say (besides "wow"). There were a few slight refinements we might have added. And yes, I think the delivery of Arwen at the end was a bit weak, and I would have liked a more definite end to Saruman. But wow......

I'm sure Tolkien would not have liked the movies, because it seems from his letters that he would not necessarily have understood that the movies have to have an independent merit as a work of art in their own right. I think they do have that merit, but in gaining it they've had to deviate from being Tolkien's story to being Peter Jackson's (and his actors') telling of Tolkien's story. But what Jackson has done is, in the end, stunning. Steven Hunter's year-end round up concentrated on the sudden outburst of CGI in the movies, ending with

Possibly the CGI revolution has reached its apogee in "THe Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." We're surely in the presence of a masterpiece and anything that follows will be paler, simpler, less engaging and less profitable.
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2003, 12:04:09 PM »

Now listening to: Billy Boyd singing (the one time in the movie where I nearly cried)

Wow...that was a powerful scene!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 12:04:52 PM »

Good point about it being in some sense Peter Jackson's story, as a film, but I think the criticism is still valid, though it is appreciative criticism from folk who love the books and the films.

I think that Saruman in the Shire is important. It brings the world of evil even into the heart of Hobbiton, wheras when the four hobbits turn up and no-one knows or cares it is a little disappointing. It needs an extra 45 minutes, although I know the Scouring of the Shire wasn't filmed. The ending is one of my favourite parts of the book but I found it rather weak in the film. It seemed like the ending went on too long without enough content. And I didn't feel that as a story it left Aragorn very satisfactorily.

But I wasn't expecting perfection.

PT

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 06:16:08 PM »

I'm sure that in the DVD extended version when the missing hour is reinserted that things will fit better.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 01:36:37 AM »

I was a consumate martyr and babysat for my sister ahd her husband so they could go and watch ROTK.  IMAGINE - while they were watching epic battles for the souls of middle earth, I was fighting epic battles with a 2 1/2 YO, a 18 MO, and a 5 MO.  I think I'd rather take on Sauron!!

You are hereby appointed an honorary "Bounder" and will receive the customary Mathom next Christmas.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 01:53:46 AM »

gee thanks.  I'd prefer a copy of the ROTK extended version DVD if you please Grin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 01:54:48 AM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 02:00:03 AM »

I'll settle for Anduril and a barrel of Longbottom Leaf. Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 02:11:46 AM »

ick.  I'm allergic to tobacco.  But a sword would be nice Smiley  I need a new one.

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 02:26:44 AM »

i just saw ROTK for the 3rd time, and i possibly enjoyed it most this time...i was done scavenging for details and just sat back and was moved...most of the time...

from an artistic p.o.v., there are some things that were not achieved (for me as a viewer) by p.j.'s approach...

(please note, spoilers ahead)

i'd say the most disappointing was the fact that, whenever we came back to frodo and sam, i actually found myself TRYING to be moved, begging to be moved...but i just wasnt Sad and by the 3rd time i figured out why...we never really understand WHY sam cares for frodo so much...we know he DOES, and sean astin's performance is incredibly on target and amazing in this respect, but (and this isnt astin's fault) their relationship (beyond gardener-master) is never fleshed out...which is something that cant really happen at a single moment, but would have to have been achieved over the course of the entire trilogy, gradually...obviously the books achieve this, where the films do not (for me), and so this was most disappointing for me...

in addition, i think p.j. was a bit slo-mo-happy at the end of ROTK :-p  if each of the "endings" (which i didnt mind at all) were done in real time, i think it woulda been more effective and less, forgive the word, self-indulgent...

but overall, the blessings of these films, which come straight from peter jackson and all involved, far outweigh the merely irksome details ive just described from film 3...

highlights for me in the past 2 films:

-bridge of kazad-dum (WOWOWOOW best scene ever! "i am a servant of the Secret Fire" hehehe)

-boromir's death (the best death scene ive ever seen on film...it has honor, persistence, loyalty, and a good-bye dialogue that makes me fall apart every time "i'd have followed you to the end, my brother, my captain, my king")

-gandalf the white joining the battle of helm's deep w/ Eomer and the Rohirrim, charging down that steep hill on the beautiful Shadowfax w/ the glorious light of dawn behind him...WOW

and from the third film, there were so many moments that were just right on, nailed by p.j. and co.:

-the sequence w/ pippin's song, nuff said

-the lighting of the beacons (wow one of my favorite parts "hope has been kindled")

-the arrival of rohan at the battle of minas tirith, the battle cries from all involved, and then the armies of good barreling down the ugly orcs (who were completely freaked out, and well they should be!)

-gandalf knocking crazy denethor over the head w/ his staff, hahahaha so great! and NECESSARY (geez, denethor was nuts!)

-eowyn killing the witch king, and her good-bye to theoden...but more the look leading up to this courageous act, when theoden is thrown across the field by the nazgul-bird and there's this thunderstruck shot of her as she watches it...it's breaking my heart thinking about it

-the arrival of aragorn w/ the army of the dead (i dont care what anyone says, this is just plain cool)

-that final charge on the black gate (:::sauron whispers::: "aragorn..." :::aragorn steps forward, then looks back at his friends::: (whispered) "for frodo" and then he turns and charges like only the true king can...followed immediately by THE HOBBITS! woo hoo! ahahah soooo great)

-and finally, the one sam/frodo moment that got to me...when sam picks up frodo and carries him the rest of the way up mt. doom, w/ the triumphant theme from "Into the West" (the annie lennox song over the credits) blared awesomely from the brass section...wow

and for the record, i actually liked arwen's arrival at the coronation...overall i am very fond of what p.j. did w/ her (considering she makes two very tiny appearances in the books)...altho tying her fate to the ring was a bit much. but i liked her strength as a woman who will bear life as a mother put in contrast w/ eowyn's strength as a physical warrior/fighter...overall i hafta say i found arwen's strength more moving, because i felt it was rooted in a deeper, more "human" (even tho she's an elf haha how ironic) place (i.e. a place of life, versus, in eowyn's case, a desire for glory/fame which largely results in death)...and what made her arrival at the coronation so touching was elrond's face as he nudged her forward, and aragorn's face as he kissed her...the vulnerability in both was beautiful...

-and HOW COULD I FORGET the final bow of all the free peoples of middle earth to the four shirelings...so great ("my friends...you bow to no one") wowee, this is the stuff heroes are made of...

ok so i think my "review" is done Smiley Smiley Smiley forgive my lengthiness, but my enthusiasm runs away from me at times...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 02:38:01 AM by Donna Rose » Logged

hmmmm...
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 02:33:06 AM »

donna: oh don't be silly.  we all know why Sam cares so much for Frodo - they're gay lovers.  Sheesh - it's painfully obvious!!  Wink

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 02:41:49 AM »

haha...those people are crazy, just because we suck nowadays and dont know how to express love between friends the way that sam and frodo do, doesnt mean that we have the right to project our own insecurities as a society on something that exists in a different (if mythological) society, as depicted in the films between frodo and sam...

btw by "we" i mean our world, not actually u and me ;-)

hmmmm...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 02:44:09 AM »

NOW WAIT JUST A...(oh wait, it's Max making a funny and not some troll)  <blood pressure dropping>

Interesting comments...a few of my own.

What I really enjoyed about the films was how they had taken a few ideas that were in the books and fleshed them out a bit more.  Like Frodo feeling that he needs to try to save Gollum so that he himself has some hope of salvation.  Also, Theoden losing hope after the death of Theodred to the point of Aragorn leading his own men at Helm's Deep.  It is only in coming to the aid of Gondor at Pelennor that he finds meaning in the fight against evil.

-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 04:46:14 AM »

OK! OK! I GIVE IN !!

I hesitate to admit it

but

I've never seen the films

and even worse [ oh this is shameful Sad Shocked Shocked ]

I've never read the books

there - Ive confessed - I feel better Tongue

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 05:18:27 AM »

OK! OK! I GIVE IN !!

I hesitate to admit it

but

I've never seen the films

and even worse [ oh this is shameful Sad Shocked Shocked ]

I've never read the books

there - Ive confessed - I feel better Tongue

<John immediately goes to the slave's profile to activate the ignore function. Oh darn, Bobby said it won't be in until January>

Just kidding. I still love you Anhelyna Wink
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 03:32:22 PM »

donna: sheesh next thing you'll be saying that neither David and Jonathan nor Ruth and Naomi were gay lovers.  You know you are setting back modern biblical scholarship to the dark ages!! Grin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:32:50 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 04:28:59 PM »

Have to go and get 'em first - local library a disaster area !

Can I substitute the DVDs  ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2003, 04:39:19 PM »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK !!

How long have I got ?

- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2003, 04:40:26 PM »

Until OC.net summerfest 2004.  Cheesy

-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2003, 04:47:32 PM »

Hmmm - see what we can do - but I do have other things to do you know - some of which take precedence - like going to France to buy my wine and whisky Cheesy Cheesy Grin

- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2004, 04:53:55 AM »

If you're going to france, you're going to be on a plane, boat, or chunnel train for at least a short while...bring it with you!

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2004, 07:19:15 PM »

The Slave: going to france?

Hun, why on earth would you venture into Mordor?  You're not Frodo hun!! Grin

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2004, 07:44:58 PM »

ah a recue mission . . . I see. Smiley

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2004, 07:46:02 PM »

Hmmm - see what we can do - but I do have other things to do you know - some of which take precedence - like going to France to buy my wine and whisky Cheesy Cheesy Grin

What-in-the-heck is a Scot doing going to France for whiskey?!?!?!?
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2004, 12:59:32 AM »

Not to lower the level of discussion here, but . . .

Who besides me thought Eowyn was better looking than Arwen?

Faramir lucked out!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2004, 01:24:03 AM »

Eowyn is a babe.

I tend to go for darker girls, but she struck my fancy.

Plus she's older, like 36 or so, so I'm hoping my wife looks that good when she gets that old.Smiley

Bobby
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2004, 01:45:13 AM »

Roberto: Eowyn is a babe.

I wholeheartedly agree.

She was one of the most pleasant aspects of the last two films.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2004, 01:48:25 AM »

I love when she whips out the sword and tries to beat up Aragorn.

OK I gotta go watch that part now

Bobby
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2004, 01:51:53 AM »

I love when she whips out the sword and tries to beat up Aragorn.

OK I gotta go watch that part now

Bobby

I loved it when she and Merry did away with the Witch King of Angmar.

Eowyn rules!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2004, 04:34:59 AM »

Bobby said
Plus she's older, like 36 or so, so I'm hoping my wife looks that good when she gets that old.Smiley

Question here - WHAT WIFE ? Methinks it's wishful thinking time
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2004, 04:43:08 AM »

From Keble
What-in-the-heck is a Scot doing going to France for whiskey?!?!?!?

Vicki was Rite [ Wink] it is a rescue mission for whisky but in my defence it has to be admittted that it is MUCH cheaper there than here and I do love a glass in the evening after a good home cooked meal where wine/brandy has also been a fairly large  part of the cooking method. It is such fun getting all those French noses twitching as they walk by our caravan and sniff the lovely smells.

At least we do buy local produce, not like natives of another country who bring everything with them in tins from home - big meanies that they are. Sad

- St. John Maximovitch
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

Linus, my brother wholeheartedly agrees...  he thinks Eowyn's a babe.  He said Liz Tyler has no redeeming qualities except her eyes, & if you turn her green, she'll have a striking resemblence to the typical alien cartoon (big eyes, almost no nose, & almost nonexistant cheekbones).

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2004, 12:49:04 PM »

Same here. Eowyn is a 9, Arwen is only about 6

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2004, 01:36:53 PM »

But Peter, the question is...

Who's a 10 Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »

ARE YOU ON DRUGS??  Liv is a TOTAL hottie!!  Dumber than a bag of rocks but a TOTAL hottie!!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2004, 01:51:02 PM »

I'd better say my wife scores a 10

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2004, 01:56:49 PM »

Well actually looking at it more carefully I should have said,

"I'd better say that my wife scores a 10"

Since my wife scores -100 at computer literacy she is most unlikely to read any of the possible phraseologies. I had better go give her a cuddle and get in her good books after some hours on the PC

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2004, 02:02:51 PM »

I can see the point. I'm not that dim Smiley

You mean that I should believe as a matter of fact that my wife is a 10 so that I don't need to say it, I know it. Smiley

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2004, 02:06:59 PM »

Hey, I'm a Sr. Member now!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2004, 02:11:56 PM »

Go on then, put me out of my misery

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2004, 02:28:16 PM »

Though often grammar & spelling rules alude me, I can see one thing that is wrong with the poor sub-deacon's post... what's with the "I'd better...?"  There should be NO QUESTION that for any man, his wife is automatically THE 10, that all other women are judged by.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:30:09 PM by ania » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2004, 02:32:03 PM »

ARE YOU ON DRUGS??  Liv is a TOTAL hottie!!  Dumber than a bag of rocks but a TOTAL hottie!!

I never said Liv/Arwen is ugly. I just said Eowyn is better looking.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:33:23 PM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2004, 02:44:49 PM »

Linus: with all those freckles Huh

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2004, 02:48:34 PM »

I  used the phraseology 'I'd better say' meaning that in the context of various men stating which women they found attractive I ought to defend the high honour in which I hold my wife and say that she is 10.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2004, 02:57:13 PM »

I admit it is feeble. I'm afraid I treat my wife very shabbily and would probably rather settle down with an old book for the evening than a good looking woman. I'm trying to force myself to behave better and even have evenings when I'm not online for 6 hours.

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2004, 03:14:46 PM »

Though often grammar & spelling rules alude me, I can see one thing that is wrong with the poor sub-deacon's post... what's with the "I'd better...?"  There should be NO QUESTION that for any man, his wife is automatically THE 10, that all other women are judged by.  

Good on you Ania - the spelling was indeed lousy
but the execution of the thought was indeed spot on..

Fasncy implying that his wife was not automatically THE 10 - Aaaaaaaaaargh should we warn her ?

- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2004, 03:17:22 PM »

Sub Deacon Peter

You are hereby excommunicated for 48 hours ! [ that does mean from your computer as well Wink]

- St. John Maximovitch
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »

Hardly noticeable and where noticeable, attractive.  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2004, 03:25:03 PM »

Vanity

- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2004, 03:31:49 PM »

The women of OC.net have GONE WILD!!!!  It's a feminist revolution...run men, run!!!!!!  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2004, 03:35:18 PM »

Dunno why you are worried - the men outnumber us Grin

but we have our own ways of getting our revenge

- St. John Maximovitch
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2004, 03:51:16 PM »

Now where's the fun in that??? Wink

-Yazid Ibrahim
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2004, 03:54:08 PM »

Oh natch

- St. John Maximovitch
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2004, 04:10:17 PM »

Sub-deacon Peter... Might I suggest instead of trying (and failing) to make witty remarks to cover up your lapse of judgement, turn off the computer & take your wife out on the town to show her you think she's a 10...  (wish my boyfriend would do the same...<<sigh>> but he has to work tonight, imagine...)

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2004, 04:36:11 PM »

Hardly noticeable and where noticeable, attractive.  Grin

Linus - you are welcome to her and her freckles.  I'm make myself content with Liv Grin

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2004, 04:37:51 PM »

Sub-deacon Peter... Might I suggest instead of trying (and failing) to make witty remarks to cover up your lapse of judgement, turn off the computer & take your wife out on the town to show her you think she's a 10...  (wish my boyfriend would do the same...<<sigh>> but he has to work tonight, imagine...)

I would, I really would. But we have 4 kids.

I am taking her to Cyprus for a luxury second honeymoon after Pascha. Our first honeymoon was a week in Keswick.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2004, 04:47:22 PM »

OFC...What, exactly, is it that you are Contemplating, Brother Franciscan?

how nice married life would be with Liv. Smiley

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2004, 05:03:41 PM »

Uggghhh... married to Liv Tyler...  my brother (brought him to work with me today) declares that it will most likely closely resemble living with a corpse or a tree stump (tall, skinny tree stump, but tree stump none the less)...  She only has one facial expression...  completely blank.  
Ah, sub-deacon Peter... 4 children, yes I can see that might be problamatic as far as taking the wife out...  might I suggest a babysitter....?  :-D  Actually if you lived anywhere near me I would offer to babysit myself.    How old are they, if I can dare ask?

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2004, 05:13:47 PM »

13, 8, 8, 4. Hannah, Eleanor, Katherine and Callum

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2004, 05:34:45 PM »

She isn't to be trusted with them yet. Still a bit too immature in some respects and too mature in others. Working hard at school though, a girls one!, which is a blessing.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »

Uggghhh... married to Liv Tyler...  She only has one facial expression...  completely blank.  

That's half the point!!! Grin means she's less likely to do something stupid like say no when told to do the dishes!! Grin

prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2004, 06:46:41 PM »

OFC...What, exactly, is it that you are Contemplating, Brother Franciscan?

how nice married life would be with Liv. Smiley
What a father-in-law you would have. You can listen to Aerosmith songs all day Tongue
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »

I'm not so sure I'd be as thrilled about that as I would have been 10 or 15 years ago when I was more of an Aerosmith fan.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2004, 06:59:53 PM »

mind you I have a deaconate friend of mine who STILL enjoys Ozzy's music.  I can understand enjoying his show - it was a total riot, but his music??  there is just no accounting for taste.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2004, 03:55:47 PM »

I never said Liv/Arwen is ugly. I just said Eowyn is better looking.

Sorry I'm coming to this late, but I also agree 100%.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2004, 10:22:16 PM »

I'm okay with this!  Ya'll can fight over Miranda Otto, so long as you leave Liv Tylor for me Cheesy

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2004, 10:33:49 PM »

And I'll take Rosie.  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2004, 10:37:47 PM »

lol I see that david like his women short and plump!

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2004, 10:40:51 PM »

lol I see that david like his women short and plump!

Hey! At least he LIKES his women! ROFLOL  :wiggle2:
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2004, 10:47:51 PM »

IS david Greek?

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »

Oh wow, step outside of the thread for 5 minutes and it all goes to pot! :p

Actually I prefer tall and thin, but the young lady I've been most interested in lately would fit Rose's description, only she isn't quite as short, she's a whopping 4'7" Smiley

Go figure.

And no, I'm not Greek.  I'm American by way of Scotland, Ireland, and wee dram o' Cherokee.

-Yazid Ibrahim
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2004, 10:54:21 PM »

IS david Greek?

What does being Greek have to do with short, plump women??!!!!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

david: Smiley scotch-Irish and Injun?  Well there is hope for you!! Grin

4'7?  She'd come up to my navel!

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2004, 10:56:15 PM »

Max: I know the feeling...I'm 6'3", and not a small man by any horozontal, vertical, or even diagonal measurement! Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2004, 10:59:42 PM »

david: 6'3 - 250# - 17 1/2 neck - 16' arms - 42 waist - 52 chest.  I'm just a lil guy Cheesy

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2004, 11:01:39 PM »

Hah...we're the same height but I'm a wee bit larger than ye.  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2004, 11:03:42 PM »

david: I've been on the redux.  WAS 290.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2004, 11:04:17 PM »

still too pudgy around the middle for my preferences, but being sick does not help.

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2004, 11:10:18 PM »

I know the feeling...need to do a bit of trimming down myself.  We'll see what the new year holds.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2004, 11:13:02 PM »

David: I found that following a basically diabetic diet really helped me.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2004, 11:26:21 PM »

And I'll take Rosie.  Smiley

Not a bad choice, as well!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2004, 11:28:13 PM »

Rosie O'Donnel wats nothin' to do with yewz guys!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2004, 11:31:13 PM »

Rosie O'Donnel wats nothin' to do with yewz guys!

Oh man, what a relief!  Tongue

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2004, 11:48:56 PM »

I'm tolkien about this Rosie:

not this one:

-Yazid Ibrahim
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2004, 11:53:50 PM »

Oh, well that's different.......... nevermind.

"That's the news. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:54:24 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2004, 11:59:23 PM »

Oh, well that's different.......... nevermind.

"That's the news. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow"

Thank you, Rosanna Rosannadanna!  Grin

I used to love that bit, BTW!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »

I thought the "nevermind" was another character... Emily Latella? (sp?)

Once I recover from a fine time with the cousins yesterday, I'll try to be back posting.

Ebor

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2004, 10:07:18 PM »

I thought the "nevermind" was another character... Emily Latella? (sp?)

Once I recover from a fine time with the cousins yesterday, I'll try to be back posting.

Ebor

You know, Ebor, I do believe you are right! I confused the two Gilda Radner characters.

. . . nevermind!  Grin

- Pope St. Hormisdas
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »

I see that the thread has drifted, but I finally saw the finale to the LOTR, and I was disappointed.

It's just that the characters were so shallow in the movie. Sad
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

I liked the finale just fine.  I realize that it was filmed at the same time as the others, but I think that some of the actors seemed stronger in this film (notably Sean Astin ... he may win an award for this performance), while that of others seemed weaker (Viggo Mortensen was just better as the ranger than as the returned King ... it seemed to me like he had difficulty with that transition as an actor).  It's fun sitting there and thinking what parts they will add to the extended DVD, but I'm pretty sure that the dialogue with the Mouth of Sauron will be added in -- it is, after all, in the video game!

I am a fan of Tolkien, so I have strong opinions about many of the reviews.  I think that the reviews that dislike the films because they disagree with Tolkien's world view are off base -- it is fine to disagree with Tolkien's world view, but Peter Jackson was simply trying to portray that in the films, and in that he succeeded brilliantly, in my opinion.  I think that's the standard on which the films should be judged -- not on whether or not one agrees with Tolkien's view of the world.

I also think, however, that reviewers who try to claim LOTR for Christianity are off base.  Tolkien himself repeatedly stated that his mythology was not allegorical in nature.  Surely, there are some Christian ideas in here, but there are a lot of other ones as well -- pagan ones from Norse mythology, for the most part.  If you read the Silmarillion, Tolkien's mythology seems much more removed from Christian theology, I think, than if you simply look at LOTR in isolation.  Tolkien says he tried to create a national mythology for Britain -- and in doing so he clearly drew from Christian and non-Christian sources.  So while I think that LOTR -- and the greater opus of Tolkien -- is very thought-provoking material, it isn't really a Christian allegory or a Christian story any more than it is a pagan Norse myth.  It's a new, fairly original myth that draws on images and ideas from both Christian and pagan sources, and does so very well indeed (probably because of Tolkien's professional familiarity with many pagan myths).

Brendan
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 03:51:42 PM by Brendan03 » Logged

B
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2004, 11:27:33 PM »

Brendan,

You state:"I also think, however, that reviewers who try to claim LOTR for Christianity are off base. "

"The Lord of the Rings is, of course, a fundamentally religious and Catholic work." J.R.R. Tolkien

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2004, 12:19:21 PM »

Lance -

Of course the story has Christian elements, but it also has non-Christian elements.  Tolkien was a devout Catholic, and this influenced his thought, and was clearly an element of what was going on, but it really was only one element of what went into LOTR and the rest of his opus.  His professional obsession with languages and old Northern European myth also played a substantial role in his fiction.

Tolkien himself was mixed in his statements about the religious element of his writing.  He did state what you wrote above, but later he said this:

“It is not about' anything but itself. Certainly it has no allegorical intentions, general, particular, or topical, moral, religious, or political. The only criticism that annoyed me was on that it contained no religion' (and no Women', but that does not matter, and is not true anyway). It is a monotheistic world of natural theology'. The odd fact that there are no churches, temples, or religious rits and ceremonies, is simply part of the historical climate depicted. It will be sufficiently explained, if (as now seems likely) the Silmarillion and other legends of the First and Second Ages are published. I am in any case myself a Christian; but the Third Age' was not a Christian world.”  Tolkien, Letter 165.

He also seemed skeptical about critics who would read too much into his work in the religious sense, I think, when he said this:

“..I object to the contemporary trend in criticism, with its excessive interest in the details of the lives of authors and artists. They only distract attention from an author's works (if the works are in fact worthy of attention). and end, as one now often sees, in becoming the main interest. But only one's guardian Angel, or indeed God Himself, could unravel the real relationship between personal facts and an author's works. Not the author himself (though he knows more than any investigator), and certainly not so-called psychologists'. ...I was born in 1892 and lived for my early years in the Shire' in a pre-mechanical age. Or more important, I am a Christian (which can be deduced from my stories), and in fact a Roman Catholic. The latter fact' perhpas cannot be deduced; thou one critic (by letter) asserted that the invocations of Elbereth, and the character of Galadriel as directly described (or through the words of Gimli and Sam) were clearly related to Catholic devotion to Mary. Another saw in waybread (lembas)=viaticum and the reference to its feeding the will (vol. III, p. 213) and being more potent when fasting, a derivation from the Eucharist. (That is: far greater things may colour the mind in dealing with the lesser things of a fair-story.)”   Letter 213.

Tolkien, I think, basically intended LOTR to have some Christian themes, together with other themes that are common to heroic literature, particularly Norse mythology (from whence come Elves, Dwarves and even the term “Middle Earth”, which is simply the English literal translation of the Norse “Midgard”, the place in the Norse cosmology where mortals lived).  It is a mixed work.

Brendan

B
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2004, 03:07:15 PM »

Well, I've seen "Return of the King" twice now and, yes it's a case of ymmv, but I was stunned and yes I cried.  It's going to take a couple of posts to cover things but here are a couple.

First, I love the books. I first read them over 30 years ago.  I love the movies. They are different from the books.  Movies work differently then books, I know.

The first word that applies, for me, to the movies is "Beautiful".    The country and the scenery are breathtaking.  The mountains and the light in the movies strike me to the core, since I live in the lowlands now and it's like hearing a song from long ago.  I read various sites about the movies and I know the care and detail that went into the movies, from the inscriptions on the swords (and REAL swords they are, not punched out sheet metal) to the building of Meduseld in the wilds of New Zealand, to the languages both spoken and sung.  There was consistancy in the different cultures and they were all different from each other.

Music is an important thing to me and Howard Shore's score is varied, rich and fits each part.  The man is a genius and his use of unusual instruments and different sorts of voices is wonderful.  

The lighting of the beacons was a gorgeous meld of sight and sound.

Pippin singing to Denethor (and Billy Boyd sings well and wrote the melody) off-setting the hopeless charge to Osgiliath was wrenching.  I realized after the second viewing that as the cavalry are traveling down the streets of Minas Tirith and the women are throwing flowers that it's not for encouragement, but as funeral offerings.   As they rode towards the river, I was suddenly flashing on the Charge of the Light Brigade, the march across No-man's Land into machine gun fire and other disasters of war.

There were no 6 endings, imo.  The last minutes showed bit by bit how Frodo had lost all so that others could have what was good.  He couldn't just be with his friends in the pub, Bag End was neat and clean, Sam was now married and a father, and the wounds would not heal.  

More later.  but I confess, I hope that the extended version has something about what happened to Gimli and Legolas.    

Back to work.

Ebor
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 03:09:40 PM by Ebor » Logged

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2004, 05:41:36 PM »

I think that the Appendices to the Return of the King book indicate that Gimli joins Legolas to Valinor many years after the events depicted in the Return of the King.

B
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »

Oh *I* know what happens to Gimli and Legolas and Samwise in the books. I've read the appendices a number of times Smiley  It would be nice if it were touched on in the movies for those who do not know them yet.

(Not verbatim) "With the passing of King Elessar, Legolas built a ship in Ithilien and with him went Gimli."  iirc it's said that this is a great wonder and that Gimli goes out of friendship and a desire to see the beauty of Galadriel once more.

And for Sam "It is said that he went to the Grey Havens and took ship passing over the Sea, the last of the ring bearers."  

Any desiring exact quotes, I'll have to get the book... Cheesy

Here's a nice bit from USA Today asking various stars about the end of the whole labour:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-01-14-lotr-farewell_x.htm

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2004, 12:17:45 AM »

I am mightily pleased to be the first on the Forum with the news that "The Return of the King" won all 4 of the Golden Globes that it had been nominated for!! :clapper:

Howard Shore for Best Score
Howard Shore and Fran Walsh for Best song ("Into the West")
Peter Jackson for Best Director
and
Best Drama

For the last one, there was a whole mob on the stage, I couldn't see all of who they were, but John Rhys-Davies, Dom Monaghan, Elijah Wood, I think Billy Boyd, Cate Blanchett, Howard Shore, Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and several others.  

In the acceptance speech for the Best Song, Fran Walsh explained something about the song.  I'd been thinking that it was like a song to someone who was dying.  And indeed, it was in one respect.  There was a young New Zealander film maker named Cameron Duncan who died last November at age 17 of cancer.  The lyrics were inspired and meant for him.  He was to have had a small part in the LotR movies, but his health didn't permit it.
Here's an article about him: http://www.listener.co.nz/default,1150.sm

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2004, 03:54:30 PM »

A bit more on the "Into the West" from the New Zealand news. The young man's mother was deeply touched by the unexpected tribute to her son by Fran Walsh. Here is a short article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2795220a10,00.html

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2004, 11:57:40 PM »

OK, it's humour time from the world of LotR:

A Dork Tower Comic strip: http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/11885

Using LotR as a dating manual:
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17664

And news of international politics...sort of
http://www.watleyreview.com/PageTwo.html

Ebor

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »

I see that the thread has drifted, but I finally saw the finale to the LOTR, and I was disappointed.

Blasphemy!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:24 PM »

Blasphemy!
I think you've exceeded 5-year statute of limitations for blasphemy charges.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:54:08 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2012, 04:00:29 PM »

Blasphemy!
Not when it comes to LOTR. LOTR is so absolutely, and epically, awesome that there is no such satute of limitations.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2012, 05:42:14 PM »

As a book I liked the Hobbit better than LOTR.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2012, 06:10:57 PM »

Blasphemy!
Not when it comes to LOTR. LOTR is so absolutely, and epically, awesome that there is no such satute of limitations.

When speaking of the books, yes.

The movie did reduce a few of the main characters to caricatures. Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn came through okay. Poor Gimli, though.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »

Blasphemy!

When speaking of the books, yes.

The movie did reduce a few of the main characters to caricatures. Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn came through okay. Poor Gimli, though.
No Tom Bombadil.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »

In which language did you read the books?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:38 AM »

+ 1

Lotr is a bit overrated. I admire Tolkien for making his stories so massively detailed but they could be more entertaining. It could be though that in order to understand it one should know the background mythology and I've yet to read my copy of Silmarillion.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: