OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 09:56:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: should graphic or questionable material (or links to it) be allowed on OC.net?
yes, with a warning or disclaimer - 9 (47.4%)
no, if needs a warning or disclaimer it doesn't belong on a religious site - 8 (42.1%)
sure, if it's good enough for youtube it's good enough for OC.net - 2 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: questionable content  (Read 2088 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: December 22, 2009, 12:13:33 AM »

I've noticed a trend towards some graphic material or links to graphic material lately. maybe i'm just a prude (but I doubt it). I feel that such imagery is disrespectful to the this forum. Agree? Disagree?

Proverbs 22:7
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:11 AM »

I will have to agree with you. I haven't seen any of what you're talking about but I think if it is inappropriate then I don't think it should be posted.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »

There does seem to have been an ummm increase in this.  I glimmed one bit in passing that I do not wish to see again, I'll admit.  (Unicorn chaser time, indeed).  It was quite distasteful.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 12:50:43 AM »

I've noticed a trend towards some graphic material or links to graphic material lately. maybe i'm just a prude (but I doubt it). I feel that such imagery is disrespectful to the this forum. Agree? Disagree?
such as?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with the wording of the OP; graphic material probably doesn't belong here.  But before I can vote, I guess I need to know what is being deemed graphic?  Pictures?  Videos?  Language?  And I don't mean to sound disrespectful, Tallitot, but since you are a real Jew now (your words), there could be any number of offensive things to you here.  Again, for perspective, I need to know what you're talking about.  Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »

I'm inclined to agree with the wording of the OP; graphic material probably doesn't belong here.  But before I can vote, I guess I need to know what is being deemed graphic?  Pictures?  Videos?  Language?  And I don't mean to sound disrespectful, Tallitot, but since you are a real Jew now (your words), there could be any number of offensive things to you here.  Again, for perspective, I need to know what you're talking about.  Undecided
I'm taking a wild guess:
Hello My Brothers in Christ. Check this out. Comment rate and subscribe to Arvonp! http://bit.ly/6RSOZS
I support them. A good group against Homosexuality. Go subscribe to them and rate they're videos 5 stars. Also go check out the Real Christmas Music Video.
Wow, we're supposed to approve of a video showing underage boys in sexually provocative manner? Oy vey!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »

my apologies if i wasn't clear. i meant images that are sexually provocative or that the average person would find objectionable. there was reacenrt discussion on colo-rectal cancer that yielded images most of us could have done without (i believe they have been removed).

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:58:33 AM »

Well the image I saw was of something grotesque involving a commode

I did not go back to study it.  It was distasteful and right there in a post, not a link

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:12:48 AM »

Our you ladies finished swooning now ?  I’ve  got a collection of bezoar photos that I’ll whip out if you start smooching. (I AM KIDDING!)
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:24:22 AM »

Is a commode the same thing in the US as it is here?
Why would anyone post a photo of one? Was it a joke?
I hope it was empty at least!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:25:18 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »

I know what bezoars are.   Wink

However, I think that this isn't binary all or nothing, grotesque or swooning.  It's a matter of context.  I once in a thread gave a link to examples of Pseudofolliculitis barbae (ingrown beard hairs).  For someone unprepared the photos of infected nodules on the face could be quite disturbing.  I gave a warning and a link, not the image itself out of respect for any viewers and it gave them a choice to look.  I did not take them unawares.

How would that be wrong or "swooning"?  

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:13 AM »

Actually, it was a urinal, and they were filling it.

Ooops.  Wrong image: yes commode means the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:31:58 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »

Here it's another word for toilet and no, it wasn't empty.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »

Actually, it was a urinal, and they were filling it.

it was in a thread that was at one point on (as I recall) colo-rectal cancer and I don't think it was a urinal....   

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »

Our you ladies finished swooning now ?  I’ve  got a collection of bezoar photos that I’ll whip out if you start smooching. (I AM KIDDING!)

After 30 years in nursing I've seen quite a bit, and not in phoos, in person.

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 01:41:45 AM »

Escape from med-surg nursing! 
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »

I see.....
Just one more question:
Why?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 01:48:19 AM »

Our you ladies finished swooning now ?  I’ve  got a collection of bezoar photos that I’ll whip out if you start smooching. (I AM KIDDING!)

I'm not a med-surg nurse- started out in oncology (adult and child unit), did ortho and neuro floor, nuero ICU, adult med ICU, neonatal and ped's ICu, now night nursing supervisor.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:50:22 AM by Tallitot » Logged

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 02:05:14 AM »

Our you ladies finished swooning now ?  I’ve  got a collection of bezoar photos that I’ll whip out if you start smooching. (I AM KIDDING!)

I'm not a med-surg nurse- started out in oncology (adult and child unit), did ortho and neuro floor, nuero ICU, adult med ICU, neonatal and ped's ICu, now night nursing supervisor.
An impressive resume have you. (Yoda)
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »

I used to participate at a forum that allowed you to hide information/pictures in your post, with a button on the post that said "spoilers" which you could click to see the hidden information/pictures. That's probably be a solution that would take a nice chunk of time to put in place, but maybe it's something to consider.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

As Content Editor of photo galleries and the equivalent of a global moderator on the content side please let myself, Fr. Chris, or a moderator (via "report to moderator") know if you find posts with pictures or content that is deemed inappropriate for the site. It has been clearly laid out that any content which is inappropriate for an orthodox forum will not be tolerated. For more on this see the following: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12453.msg325757.html#msg325757

Specifically, "7) Photos should reflect the site's mission statement: "Your Home on the Net for Orthodox Christianity."  Pictures should reflect the Orthodox Church in some way.  Non-Orthodox religious events are generally not under this definition, but if you have made a visit to historic or culturally significant non-Orthodox Churches or places, please feel free to submit for consideration."

"Inappropriate types of photos:
a) Multiple Personal Photos (non-church related),
b) Vacations not related to religion (no photos of the family trip to Disney World or the Bachelor party to Las Vegas)
c) Family Photos (we're not trying to host a gallery for personal use)
d) Adult Content (submitter of any of this content is repremandable by Administrative Staff if warranted)
e) Other pictures deemed inappropriate by administrative staff (Dorm parties, hanging out, drunken/lewd behavior, other pictures as determined by administrative Staff)"

While it specifically says Photo galleries on the post, this rule set also applies to general photo and graphical content (for text issues, that would still be the board moderators). If you have questions about this, please contact myself or Fr. Chris or any of the moderators.

-Nick
Cardinal/Editor for Photogalleries
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 12:13:13 PM by admiralnick » Logged

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

my apologies if i wasn't clear. i meant images that are sexually provocative or that the average person would find objectionable. there was reacenrt discussion on colo-rectal cancer that yielded images most of us could have done without (i believe they have been removed).

I did not go back to study it.  It was distasteful and right there in a post, not a link

That image, as surmised, was removed.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »

I fall into the "yes, with a disclaimer" camp.  For those who don't wish to follow the links, they have not been inconvenienced.  For those with the desire to see them, they can follow the link with little hassle.  The publishing of an image, video, or post on this site does not now nor has it ever implied endorsement from the site or the Orthodox Church.  We allow people to debate, to "dig themselves in a hole" (so to speak), and to say or do stupid things.

For example - the video that likely spurred this thread; it was juvenile, low-brow bigotry.  Offensive? To many, yes.  Inappropriate? Likely.  Graphic?  No.  Endorsed?  Only by the person who posted it - not by the administration or moderators (we've put a disclaimer by the link).  If you don't see the video, you've lost nothing.  If you did see the video, then you've gotten a further view of how immature and disgusting an emotional opposition to homosexuality can be.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 12:37:21 PM »

I'm ok with posting some images that are pertinent to discussion as long as they're within reason.  If something is too graphic, just post the link along with a disclaimer that the picture is graphic.  Typically, the line of reasoning I use is that if I have to ask myself if it's too graphic, it probably is.  As someone pointed out, though, that where that line can be crossed is different for each person.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 12:46:50 AM »

I see.....
Just one more question:
Why?

As I recall from the posts around it, the photo was to show some result of intestinal disease. 

It is good to read that the image has been removed.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: