OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oral Roberts dead  (Read 6028 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

I wasn't the only poster who had issues w/ Agnesë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu. And I'm certainly not the only poster who has accused the RCC of error. I don't hate Christians (or Bhuddists or Moslems or Shintoists or...) as a group; I do dislike certain individuals.

I may believe you that you don't hate Christians generally; but you do have a bad habit of speaking ill of the dead (something discouraged in both of our faith traditions).

I don't believe dying makes a person good by default. Stalin was a bad person in life; did he become good when he died?

Don't try and confuse the issue; you've never celebrated and/or rejoiced when a non-Christian has died; at least not on this forum.  Wonder what Jewish folks thought if I said, "Boy, that Maimonides... what a ...!"?  And while you're busy thinking of how to counter, why don't you take the Happy Hanukkah avatar down; it doesn't belong on a Christian forum.  Wonder what Jewish folks would think if I said Merry Christmas on a Jewish forum?  First, they'd probably think I was an idiot. Wink  

Actually when i worked in high rise here in Chicago ,several years back ,the building i worked in was 95% Jewish they had there own Conservative synagogue ,they would cater our Christmas Party every year ,champaign fountain, boiled ham trays and other delights which very nice of them...

I  wished a Jewish tenant Merry Christmas at the party ,she got really offended and said how dare i ,She told me Christmas will never be celebrated in her household but Hanukkah alway will be,while she was wolfing down her boiled ham sandwich....
I asked her isn't that a ham sandwich she said why yes it is, isn't that forbidden for you, she said its been cured so its allowed...God Bless them and us because we all fall short of the Glory of God....

Stashko, I think you missed the point on the ham sandwich. She said it had been "cured". Obviously, it was no longer ham.

I got the point ...Funny Funny Ha Ha Ha....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
The young fogey
Warned
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »

Interestingly, and unsurprisingly as he was from Oklahoma, he was an American Indian.

Whether he was sincere or not ('thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God', and 'seed faith' - 'gimme money' essentially - is dodgy) I'll give him credit about three things:

Anybody the mainline Protestant churches hated so much couldn't have been all bad. Gary North has written that in the early 1950s when he was starting out, mainline churches dominated religious broadcasting (where the Lutheran 'Davey and Goliath' came from); by the time he peaked, they had only a small percentage of that.

He taught a kind of sacramental principle, that objects like his prayer cloths can be a means of God's grace.

Miracles can happen.

May he rest in peace.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 08:44:41 PM »

Lord have mercy on this child of God, made in the image and likeness of our Father in Heaven.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »

Memory eternal!

I second that he couldn't have been that bad given the enemies he made.

I recall at Oral Roberts U that they had a class on Orthodoxy that they shut down when the whole class converted.

Lord have mercy on you, Talliot.  If this is how you get joy, you must be quite joyless.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »

Memory eternal!

I second that he couldn't have been that bad given the enemies he made.

I recall at Oral Roberts U that they had a class on Orthodoxy that they shut down when the whole class converted.

Lord have mercy on you, Talliot.  If this is how you get joy, you must be quite joyless.

Haha. Now this is funny. Do you know of any documentation or articles about this?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:53 PM »

I remember hearing that also, but have never been able to verify it.

Proverbs 22:7
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »

Anyone else reading the thread: note that Tallitot has apologized publicly for how this thread started.  So please don't continue to harp on the point!

- Fr. George, Global Moderator

The apology thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24965.0.html

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »

God have mercy on his soul.  When Stalin died the Daily Mirror headlines were: Crocodile tears for Stalin.  An American newspaper, so my Mum told me, said:  Stalin dead hoorah!  I suppose things have changed over the decades.  When someone dies we hold a celebration of life whether that person was bad or good in their doings. I don't know what the Fathers said when Arius spilled his guts - but I expect someone said: Lord have mercy. 

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »

I think the story was as follows. The Antiochian Archdiocese assigned Father Michael Kaiser to Saint Anthony's in Tulsa, Oklahoma in mid-1970s. From the Saint Anthony's web site: "With the help of Professor Ted Williams, Fr Michael introduced many Oral Roberts University students to Holy Orthodoxy. Five of these students were ordained to the Holy Priesthood and now serve the Archdiocese (Very Reverend George Eber, Very Reverend Timothy Baclig, Reverend Antony Hughes, Very Reverend Thomas Begley, and Very Reverend David Barr). Fr. George Eber was assigned to St. Antony in 1981 and helped move the parish to its present location."

Professor Williams was an Episcopalian who converted to Orthodoxy. He was also a Graduate School of Theology teacher at Oral Roberts University. When the University sought to cancel his class because of all of the conversions, the students of the Graduate School reportedly conducted the first and only sit down protest in Oral Roberts history.

As for the rest:

Father Barr is the rector of the Saint Elias Church in Austin and Dean of the Texas Deanery of the Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America that is admirably shepherded by Bishop Basil.

Father Eber has introduced Bishop Mark of the Toledo and the Midwest to Holy Orthodoxy. He has also sat on the Advisory Board of the Christian Bioethics, Oxford (University) Journals, along with others like Archpriests John Breck and Chad Jatfield, and Michael Novak of the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.

Father Baclig is the pastor of the St. Michael Church, Van Nuys, CA, the Diocese of Los Angeles and the West headed by Bishop Joseph. He was a long time spiritual advisor to the Antiochian youth organization--NAC Teen SOYO, and hosted the 49th Antiochian Archdiocesan Convention.

Father Hughes (now archpriest) is the pastor of St. Mary Orthodox Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and as written in the parish history is "spreading the Orthodox Faith to the surrounding campuses of MIT and Harvard. St. Mary's has become a truly integrated parish: the founding Arabic families continue to be active in the life and governance of our parish, but there are now numerous converts to Holy Orthodoxy from many backgrounds, both Protestant and Roman Catholic and non-Christian, as well as members from numerous other Orthodox jurisdictions. St. Mary's is also blessed to have become an important parish for the immigrant Eritrean and Ethiopian communities of Boston."

Father Begley is the pastor of the Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church, West Saint Paul, Minnesota, of the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest led by the courageous Bishop Mark.

Father Kaiser now works under Bishop Basil as the Vicar-General of the Western Rite Ministry of the Archdiocese and just nine months ago accepted as a catechumen the former Continuing Anglican Bishop Robert F. Waggener. (Bishop Waggener, who until recently served as bishop of the Diocese of the Holy Cross, has become the first Continuing Anglican bishop to convert to the Antiochian Orthodox Church's Western Rite Vicariate).

A great story of the Holy Spirit leading such a large number of outstanding individuals in the service of the Lord.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:28 AM »

I think the story was as follows. The Antiochian Archdiocese assigned Father Michael Kaiser to Saint Anthony's in Tulsa, Oklahoma in mid-1970s. From the Saint Anthony's web site: "With the help of Professor Ted Williams, Fr Michael introduced many Oral Roberts University students to Holy Orthodoxy. Five of these students were ordained to the Holy Priesthood and now serve the Archdiocese (Very Reverend George Eber, Very Reverend Timothy Baclig, Reverend Antony Hughes, Very Reverend Thomas Begley, and Very Reverend David Barr). Fr. George Eber was assigned to St. Antony in 1981 and helped move the parish to its present location."

Professor Williams was an Episcopalian who converted to Orthodoxy. He was also a Graduate School of Theology teacher at Oral Roberts University. When the University sought to cancel his class because of all of the conversions, the students of the Graduate School reportedly conducted the first and only sit down protest in Oral Roberts history.

As for the rest:

Father Barr is the rector of the Saint Elias Church in Austin and Dean of the Texas Deanery of the Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America that is admirably shepherded by Bishop Basil.

Father Eber has introduced Bishop Mark of the Toledo and the Midwest to Holy Orthodoxy. He has also sat on the Advisory Board of the Christian Bioethics, Oxford (University) Journals, along with others like Archpriests John Breck and Chad Jatfield, and Michael Novak of the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.

Father Baclig is the pastor of the St. Michael Church, Van Nuys, CA, the Diocese of Los Angeles and the West headed by Bishop Joseph. He was a long time spiritual advisor to the Antiochian youth organization--NAC Teen SOYO, and hosted the 49th Antiochian Archdiocesan Convention.

Father Hughes (now archpriest) is the pastor of St. Mary Orthodox Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and as written in the parish history is "spreading the Orthodox Faith to the surrounding campuses of MIT and Harvard. St. Mary's has become a truly integrated parish: the founding Arabic families continue to be active in the life and governance of our parish, but there are now numerous converts to Holy Orthodoxy from many backgrounds, both Protestant and Roman Catholic and non-Christian, as well as members from numerous other Orthodox jurisdictions. St. Mary's is also blessed to have become an important parish for the immigrant Eritrean and Ethiopian communities of Boston."

Father Begley is the pastor of the Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church, West Saint Paul, Minnesota, of the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest led by the courageous Bishop Mark.

Father Kaiser now works under Bishop Basil as the Vicar-General of the Western Rite Ministry of the Archdiocese and just nine months ago accepted as a catechumen the former Continuing Anglican Bishop Robert F. Waggener. (Bishop Waggener, who until recently served as bishop of the Diocese of the Holy Cross, has become the first Continuing Anglican bishop to convert to the Antiochian Orthodox Church's Western Rite Vicariate).

A great story of the Holy Spirit leading such a large number of outstanding individuals in the service of the Lord.

Wow. How cool.

I guess that in a way Oral Roberts sowed the seeds, and God brought them to fruition. If Oral Roberts hadn't sincerely tried to do God's work, these souls would not have been exposed to Orthodox truth.

Perhaps there is a lesson in this: Those that strive to be obedient to the light that they have - even if it be a very dim or distorted light - become instruments through which the undiluted Light of Our Lord manifests itself to others.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2009, 02:22:07 AM »

Rest in Peace.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »

COOL!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Regarding the smiley and celebratory nature of the OP; well, let's see now- Tallitot runs his mouth off about his hatred for Mother Teresa, calling her a 'media skank'; he runs his mouth off about Rome, calling it a den of lies; and now he's running his mouth off about the passing of another Christian.  Y'all startin' to see a pattern here?  Methinks Tallitot doesn't like Christians.  That's what you get when you let a homosexual convert Jew run his mouth off.  
What's this about running one's mouth off?
What part don't you get, boy?

Boy?

I know you think it's some cute Southern thing and that you're just joking, but all you're really doing by throwing around such dimunitive sentiment is disparaging yourself and your much vaunted Southern culture. 

But I think you probably get a kick out of writing posts like that behind the wall of the internet.  And I write this as someone who used to do the same thing (check out some of my earliest posts).

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

Wow. How cool.

I guess that in a way Oral Roberts sowed the seeds, and God brought them to fruition. If Oral Roberts hadn't sincerely tried to do God's work, these souls would not have been exposed to Orthodox truth.

Perhaps there is a lesson in this: Those that strive to be obedient to the light that they have - even if it be a very dim or distorted light - become instruments through which the undiluted Light of Our Lord manifests itself to others.

Selam

Other religions and faiths can lead one to Christ.  A person who is truly seeking God will find Him.  The questions is - will the seeker accept Him when he finds Him?  I "discovered" Orthodoxy studying the writings of Martin Luther.  I found the more he discussed the "Eastern Catholics", which even he said kept the ancient Faith most accurately, the more I was drawn to them.  

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

Regarding the smiley and celebratory nature of the OP; well, let's see now- Tallitot runs his mouth off about his hatred for Mother Teresa, calling her a 'media skank'; he runs his mouth off about Rome, calling it a den of lies; and now he's running his mouth off about the passing of another Christian.  Y'all startin' to see a pattern here?  Methinks Tallitot doesn't like Christians.  That's what you get when you let a homosexual convert Jew run his mouth off.  

Boy?

I know you think it's some cute Southern thing and that you're just joking, but all you're really doing by throwing around such dimunitive sentiment is disparaging yourself and your much vaunted Southern culture. 

But I think you probably get a kick out of writing posts like that behind the wall of the internet.  And I write this as someone who used to do the same thing (check out some of my earliest posts).

Now lookie heyah, boys.  Being oldah thens alla ya, I say calm down theah boys.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »

Boy?

Now lookie heyah, boys.  Being oldah thens alla ya, I say calm down theah boys.

Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »

Boy?

I call 'em how I see 'em, Schultz.  I probably shouldn't have egged him on like that, but the matter was addressed and closed.  But for some reason, PtA thought he'd act all sheriff-like and put his dog in the fight and that's exactly what he got.

I think a lot of what's posted on any forum would never actually be said if we were all sitting in the same room together.  But if you think I'm hiding behind anything, then you don't know me.  Smiley 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2009, 01:30:29 PM »

Boy?

I call 'em how I see 'em, Schultz.  I probably shouldn't have egged him on like that, but the matter was addressed and closed.  But for some reason, PtA thought he'd act all sheriff-like and put his dog in the fight and that's exactly what he got.

Then don't be suprised when people think you are just an ignorant Southern hillbillly for calling a veteran, "boy" simply because you disagree with something he wrote. 

I think a lot of what's posted on any forum would never actually be said if we were all sitting in the same room together.  But if you think I'm hiding behind anythin, then you don't know me.  Smiley 

And that's just a cop out.  I stand behind anything and everything I write in a forum, even if I end up apologizing for it later on.  If you wouldn't say it in person, you shouldn't post it on the internet.  To do so is de facto hiding behind the wall of the Internet. 

For someone who wants to practically ban any discussion from non-Orthodox on Orthodox matters, you certainly seem to want to engage in online duplicity by posting one thing while believing something else.

[/quote]

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »

Then don't be suprised when people think you are just an ignorant Southern hillbillly for calling a veteran, "boy" simply because you disagree with something he wrote.

First off, I wasn't surprised and furthermore, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks about me.  Wink Second, why do you feel the need to pigeon hole me?  Why would you choose 'ignorant Southern hillbilly' rather than simply 'jerk'?  I think that says a lot more about you than it does me, sport.

And that's just a cop out.  I stand behind anything and everything I write in a forum, even if I end up apologizing for it later on.
You're such a principled man, Schultz.  And regarding apologizing for past regrets, so have I and you know it.

If you wouldn't say it in person, you shouldn't post it on the internet.  To do so is de facto hiding behind the wall of the Internet.
Feel free to get off that high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself.

For someone who wants to practically ban any discussion from non-Orthodox on Orthodox matters, you certainly seem to want to engage in online duplicity by posting one thing while believing something else.
Prove it, sport.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2009, 03:14:34 PM »

First off, I wasn't surprised and furthermore, I couldn't care less what you or anyone else thinks about me.  Wink Second, why do you feel the need to pigeon hole me?  Why would you choose 'ignorant Southern hillbilly' rather than simply 'jerk'?  I think that says a lot more about you than it does me, sport.

Because the usage of the word "boy" to demean someone's argument is quite well known in the South, particularly in an attempt to use condescension as a means to establish some sort of social hierarchy with the object of demeaning the "boy." 

Then there's the fact that you are a proud Southerner.  It doesn't take much of a leap to throw that adjective into the mix.

I do retract "hillbilly" as I've more often than not heard the term "boy" being used by Southern aristocratic society. 

So let's strike my initial statement and amend it to read "ignorant Southern jerk."  Thank you for your suggestion.

BTW, feel free to call me a "churlish Northern lout."  It wouldn't be the first time.

And I thought you didn't care what I or anyone thought?  You apparently care enough to keep having this conversation with me in an attempt to justify your own boorish behavior. 

And that's just a cop out.  I stand behind anything and everything I write in a forum, even if I end up apologizing for it later on.
You're such a principled man, Schultz.  And regarding apologizing for past regrets, so have I and you know it.

I know you have and I applaud you for it.  I still think that saying, "I wouldn't really say this in real life," is a cop out.  It's even more of a cop out when you realize that you actually have the luxury of reading over what you've just written before hitting the "Post" button.  People don't generally have that luxury in real life as we have a tendency to just blurt things out.

If you wouldn't say it in person, you shouldn't post it on the internet.  To do so is de facto hiding behind the wall of the Internet.
Feel free to get off that high horse before you fall off and hurt yourself.

But the view is so nice from up here.  I'll stay up here, thank you.  Mind the horse manure, though.  Ol' Nelly ate some beans earlier today.  I would hate to see you step in it.

Prove it, sport.

I think a lot of what's posted on any forum would never actually be said if we were all sitting in the same room together

Where I come from, this is talking out of both sides one's mouth.  That is, I believe, a prime example of being duplicitous.  It is, at the very least, uncouth and should be below the conduct of a Southern gentleman.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2009, 03:41:59 PM »

So let's strike my initial statement and amend it to read "ignorant Southern jerk."  Thank you for your suggestion.
You're welcome.  BTW, this wouldn't be one of those times you'll want to recall on Forgiveness Sunday, eh, Schultz?

BTW, feel free to call me a "churlish Northern lout."  It wouldn't be the first time.
I can imagine.

And I thought you didn't care what I or anyone thought?  You apparently care enough to keep having this conversation with me in an attempt to justify your own boorish behavior.
LOL. That's rich, Schultz.  Pot, meet kettle.  Smiley

BTW, why don't you and I take this to PM.  Afterall, I'd hate to see you being moderated for not keeping things on topic.  Isn't that what you moderator types are here for?  And isn't this a 'moderated' forum?   

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2009, 04:57:34 PM »

You're welcome.  BTW, this wouldn't be one of those times you'll want to recall on Forgiveness Sunday, eh, Schultz?

Not really, because I haven't called you anything myself.  I merely said don't be surprised if and when someone calls you that because of a very particular turn of words you've used more than once on these fora. Tongue 

As I stated above, I type and say exactly what I mean.  If wanted to call you a name, I would.  Directly.  In bold.  In 30 point font.

LOL. That's rich, Schultz.  Pot, meet kettle.  Smiley

Not really.  I'm not the one engaging in childish name-calling in an attempt to disregard or belittle someone else's argument. 

I'm simply calling you out on that behavior.  If that's boorish, so be it. 

BTW, why don't you and I take this to PM.  Afterall, I'd hate to see you being moderated for not keeping things on topic.  Isn't that what you moderator types are here for?  And isn't this a 'moderated' forum?   

Firstly, I'm speaking as a poster and not as a moderator.  Otherwise my words would be in green.  You know that.

Secondly, while this is certainly a tangent, I consider it on topic because it's in reaction to something you wrote that directly relates to this topic (eg PtA's arguments and insights being moot because he's just a "boy").  I'll keep things out in the open until a moderator steps in to tell me otherwise.

Of course, you're free to just ignore me.

[/quote]

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »

Not really, because I haven't called you anything myself.
No, you've just veiled it in an imaginary scenario.  Nice.  Of course, you're only fooling yourself.

As I stated above, I type and say exactly what I mean.  If wanted to call you a name, I would.  Directly.  In bold.  In 30 point font.
Now you're being a JACKASS.  Like that?

Back atcha.  

Firstly, I'm speaking as a poster and not as a moderator.  Otherwise my words would be in green.
I guess I misread the rules.  Either that or there's a 'good 'ol boy' network at play here where certain folks are warned and others get a pass.  Can't say for sure.  Just wonderin' out loud.   

Ditto.

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »

Not really, because I haven't called you anything myself.
No, you've just veiled it in an imaginary scenario.  Nice.  Of course, you're only fooling yourself.

There's nothing imaginary about this scenario.  You used the term "boy" to denigrate another poster (just in this thread).  I stated, quite plainly, that such talk, especially when it evolves into a pattern (which it has, as you've used it elsewhere), can lead one to believe that the particular person (namely you) who engages in that pattern is an "ignorant Southern jerk" (as amended from my original statement above). 

There's nothing imaginary about it.  It actually happened. 

Now you're being a JACKASS.  Like that?

Yes, that's exactly how I would do it.

Back atcha.  

I would expect nothing less and I thank you for your opinion.

Firstly, I'm speaking as a poster and not as a moderator.  Otherwise my words would be in green.
I guess I misread the rules.  Either that or there's a 'good 'ol boy' network at play here where certain folks are warned and others get a pass.  Can't say for sure.  Just wonderin' out loud.   

You know very well that a mod, when speaking as such, uses green letters, often bolded ones.  But since we're just engaging in a discussion over your public words to someone I consider a friend (which I did before I was given the task of being a moderator), there's no need to speak as a moderator.  Indeed, you can just report my post or request that we move this to an unmoderated area.  Why you would want to do so is beyond me, unless you would rather use stronger language than is normally allowed in the public areas of this forum. 

Ditto.

Of course I can, especially since I'm the one who started this little tête-à-tête.  I do have little else to say, so unless you think otherwise, I believe we can end this conversation.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »

especially since I'm the one who started this little tête-à-tête.  

At least we agree about you being the one who started it, but there's nothing private or coversational about this interaction.  So unless you have something else to add, now we can end it.  
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:51:16 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2009, 01:01:46 AM »

Gentleman, don't forget:

He's making a list,
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out
Who's naughty and nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town.....

And if that doesn't worry you, then remember that Christ is watching us.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2009, 01:27:33 AM »

Oh, for Pete's sake, Gabe, hush.  And you know I love ya', man.

Fr. George Eber was my priest when I was a student at ORU in Tulsa, and was the one who chrismated me and my wife, along with probably about two dozen others within a 5 to 10 year period of our being there.  We took to calling it the "St. Vlad's of the South."

ORU was quite bizarre spiritually, but you can't deny that he really was like that "crazy uncle" -- really, he came across as a dear grandfather -- who genuinely cared for you, even if his way of doing it was misguided.  My time spent there earning my degree was not wasted at all, I don't think.  I do hope he finds rest as he awaits the resurrection.  May his soul dwell with the blessed, and may he rise unto salvation.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: conversion stories 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: