OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 11:05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English translation -- Armenian Resurrection hymn "Havun, Havun"  (Read 2296 times) Average Rating: 0
_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« on: December 20, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »

Two years ago EkhristosAnesti posted a link in the Oriental Orthodox Music thread to a video of the Armenian Resurrection hymn "Havun, Havun":

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg198099.html#msg198099

I found this precious jewel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ywnAwgV9_ic

The video starts off like a documentary, but the host, Isabel Bayrakdarian (who seems to be a famous Armenian singer?),
starts singing this beautiful Armenian Resurrection hymn ("Havun, havun") inside one of the ancient Armenian churches--  The church of Sourp Keghart--at 2:55.
It seems that the hymn itself dates back to the fifth century, and the composition to the tenth century.  She sounds absolutely divine.

Unfortunately, this video has been removed from YouTube.  Sad  However, I recorded the audio before the video was removed.  Cheesy   You can hear it at:

http://www.orthodoxmysteries.com/chant-armenian.html

(If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll email the song file to you)

So.................... can anyone help provide an English translation of this beautiful song?  Any help is much appreciated.

In Christ,
-Seraphim

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »

Two years ago EkhristosAnesti posted a link ......
So.................... can anyone help provide an English translation of this beautiful song?  Any help is much appreciated.

In Christ,
-Seraphim

Dear Seraphim

Due to a very slow Internet speed now I cannot listen to that performance by Bayrakdarian to know exactly what she sings. But I think, it must be one of the so called "taghs" by St Gregory of Narek (10th c.). Usually singers only perform one- two stanzas of that song. Perhaps Izabel Bayrakdarian has also sung that much. I have another recording of this song with another melody, composed by a modern composer but it's very nice really. That performance has some more stanzas. Unfortunately, it's accompanied by organ. Anyway, if anybody would like to have that recording, let me know and I'll send (but only next Monday, God willing; this week I'm at home where the Internet doesn't work well, but from my work place I can send big files).

I'm providing now the literal English translation of all stanzas of "Havun'. Please ignore the grammatical errors, as my English is not perfect. This song's words are woven from scriptural 'flowers', if I may call them so. The Song of Songs, Gospel of John, the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah and Proverbs are used (Septuagint version).

St Gregory of Narek

Hymn of Resurrection

The Bird, the Bird, awaken,
Looking at the heathen,
Was calling, calling the Turtle-dove,
His tender Beloved.
Return, return, O Shunnamite,
To the shadow of the rock.
Come from the mountains of leopards, O Bride,
From the fields of roes.
They are coming, coming, gathering
In Bethel's Ephraim.
Going going out, to the arenas
Of the garden of Kidron.
He trod grapes
In the colour, in the colour of  blood,
Wood was put into [His] bread.
He killed his immolations.
He mingled in wine
Sweet libations.
A cup was offered
To invite to the wedding.
Invitation to the wedding:
Come, new people,
Eat of My bread
And drink My wine,
That you may live in inexhaustible,
Endless ages.

The following is the Classical Armenian text in English letters, according to today's Eastern Armenian pronunciation which is nearer to that of Classical Armenian than the Western Armenian pronunciation.

Havoon Havoon artnatseal
Ditelov ezhetanoses
Dzayner dzayner tatrakin,
Sirasnund sirelvooyn.
Dardzir dardzir somnatsid
End vimin hovaneav.
Yek, harsnuhid i lerants endzoots,
I dashtats aytsemants.
Yekeal yekeal tavaghin
hEprayim Betelin.
Yeleal yeleal hasparezes
I haygin Kedroni.
Hndzan kokhelov
Gooyn i gooyn bosori.
Arkeal payt i hats,
Ezzenlis yoor zeneal.
Kharnel i gini
Zkharnelis anooshits.
Bazhak matootsav
I hraver harsaneats.
Hraver harsaneats,
Yekayk, nor zhoghovoordk,
Kerayk him hatses
Yev arbek zim ginis.
Zi ketsjik hanespar
Hanvakhjan haviteans.

In Christ,
S.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »

I'm providing now the literal English translation of all stanzas of "Havun'...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I often hum this tune, but now I can also sing tangible words. Smiley  The poem is very lovely. 
Armenian hymnography and melody is truly beautiful and unique.  It is wonderful to see all the different cultural colors in the spectrum of Christ's Church.
May God bless you for your efforts.

In Christ,
-Seraphim

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
Tags: Armenian Church Resurrection hymn Havun Havun english translation music Oriental Orthodox Music 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: