OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 06:16:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone who was/is in the big snow storm OK?  (Read 1097 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: December 20, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »

I know that the storm is over parts of New England now.  Is everyone OK?

It's now blinding in Maryland with sunlight on the snow and we're starting to dig out.  This might be the first white Christmas around here in a good long while.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

I know that the storm is over parts of New England now.  Is everyone OK?

It's now blinding in Maryland with sunlight on the snow and we're starting to dig out.  This might be the first white Christmas around here in a good long while.

Ebor

I'm  OK but looking out at 24 inches ( 2 feet) of snow to be shoveled hopping some kid will knock on the door.

Orthodoc
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:12:02 PM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:03 PM »

We're good here in Latrobe, PA (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh). We only got about 3-4 inches. I just hope we don't get any more snow in the near future, as I'm sure many people will be traveling at the end of this week.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 01:04:42 PM »

I hope you have some hale and enterprising youths too.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »

We're good here in Latrobe, PA (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh). We only got about 3-4 inches. I just hope we don't get any more snow in the near future, as I'm sure many people will be traveling at the end of this week.

Wow, this was a storm with some wide variations indeed.  I'm not sure how much we have as I can't find a yard stick.

Reports for Maryland are that there could be a bit more snow on Christmas Eve to Day shading into rain.

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »

Just finished shoveling my driveway and the neighbor's. The drifts were definitely about 3 feet.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »

I've been amazed that our usual OH-PA roles have been reversed: in Akron & Cleveland we didn't get much, and they got more in Pittsburgh.

But as I said to my Father-in-law: Pittsburgh's having more snow than Cleveland won't last long.  Our 20" April snowfall will certainly eclipse your 0" April! Wink
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:01:34 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:58 PM »

Wow, this was a storm with some wide variations indeed.  I'm not sure how much we have as I can't find a yard stick.

Reports for Maryland are that there could be a bit more snow on Christmas Eve to Day shading into rain.

I'm certainly glad we didn't get feet, though we usually get it lighter here. I was looking at the weather underground, and they are forecasting something similar for our area (freezing rain or snow) on Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day. I'm trying to move my visiting plans up from Thursday to Wednesday. No sense risking a car accident just so I can visit relatives on this day rather than that day.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:23:41 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »

YES! 2 feet and all good!

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »

Very lucky, glad, and happy to be here.  I was in one of the last flights to land in Newark Airport before they canceled almost everything else afterwards.

And today, we shoveled snow out of a very big driveway, because conveniently enough, the snowblower wasn't working.  So I get the exercise of the day that I needed. Tongue

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »

Here in the South, our big snowstorm consisted of flurries that dusted the ground until morning, when we went back above 40 degrees. Schools have all been in session all week. Still, such storms can be dangerous--not because of anything having to do with the weather itself but the drivers who don't know what to do when there's the least dusting.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »

I know that the storm is over parts of New England now.  Is everyone OK?

It's now blinding in Maryland with sunlight on the snow and we're starting to dig out.  This might be the first white Christmas around here in a good long while.

Ebor

We got about two feet of snow here in Jersey. No problems to report. Tomorrow should be interesting as I drive from NJ to Richmond, VA to spend the holidays with my sister.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »

Well, in general the main roads and highways as not bad, though after sundown the bits that had some melt water may well freeze up into black ice.  So a trip through here from NJ to Richmond shouldn't be too grinding. 

Lots of counties including ours have cancelled school today and some have just started the Christmas vacation early and cancelled class for the next 3 days.    I don't know if we'll have school tomorrow.  The problem, I think, is that the many side streets (including school bus routes) are one lane of tracks and/or not plowed much.  With a foot to a foot and a half of snow, that's tricky for transportation. 

Baltimore had a colossal effort to clear a stadium for a Ravens/Bears game with 1700 people clearing snow off of every bit.

Just around our neighborhood are some great piles of snow that would make excellent bases for snow forts.  Smiley

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 07:34:48 PM »

My niece's first blizzard, and she's says in facebook, "Cooooooolllllll!!!!"

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: