OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:58:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern "Christmas carols"  (Read 2376 times) Average Rating: 0
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« on: December 15, 2006, 01:41:35 AM »

I was pretty excited the other day. I was out at lunch and, as I entered a building that has a giant, life-size creche in its courtyard, I heard Eastern chant on its recorded music soundtrack.

And, I RECOGNIZED IT!!! I kept going 360 degrees through the revolving glass door and went back outside to listen!

I received Anaphora's "Make Ready O Bethlehem" CD two years ago as a gift. And, as a convert and after 4 years on this journey, it is the first time I both recognized and felt an emotional attachment to an Eastern melody. It was like "hey, I know that!"

It will probably seem trivial and inconsequential to some, but western hymns are probably the main (and only) thing I miss from my protestant past. So this recognition and sense of ownership was a significant event for me.

(there was an older couple that seemed equally intrigued and stood listening; after the western music began, they left too; I should have talked to them, but it was in the city and I was a stranger so I didn't initiate a conversation; but I bet they too were Orthodox!)

My first Eastern Christmas carol!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:04:40 AM »

What do you mean by "Eastern"? Greek, Russian, Arabic etc ?
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 02:56:34 AM »

I think the chant melody was byzantine
Thomas
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »

There are actually quite a few Orthodox Christmas Hymns and some actual carols.  The Ones that people consider Carols tend to be Slavic due to their westernization and frequent influence of the west to include the popular Christmas  songs of the people which are known in the west as Carols. In The middle east they tend to be termed hymns and are more likely to sound  "byzantine" or chanted, whereas the Ukranian, Romanian, and Serbian Carols are more likely to be sung rather than chanted.

Archangel Voices published last year a wonderful collection of Orthodox Christmas hymns and carols under the title of "Christ is Born! Give Glory!"  I have been favorably impressed and our family is learning these traditional orthodox carols in English.  The  CD is in English.  Anaphora also has put out a great English language  CD  called "Make Ready O'Bethlehem" in the line of chants.

Both would make an excellent addition to your library.

In Christ,
Thomas
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 07:17:39 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »

In Greece/Cyprus/Asia Minor, there are a set of usually standardized carols and hymns which change melody according to region rather than wording. Imagine knowing Silent Night in 6 different melodies!

I've got a cool CD called "Light from the East" -it features Christmas carols from Eastern Europe (Slavic countries, Romania) but in English and it actually osunds very nice. Unfortunately, it did not present carols from Greece or Lebanon.
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:43:17 PM »

Timos
is that CD available from Light and Life? I think I've seen it.

The Orthodox "carol" I heard was Anaphora singing "Christ is Born" (Tone 1) from "Make Ready O Bethlehem"

Anyway, as a convert, it is nice to begin to move from "new and exciting" to "familiar and comfortable"
(comfortable meant in a good sense or familiar, not complacent)
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 04:55:33 AM »

Carols sung between the communion of the clergy and the communion of the faithful
http://www.youtube.com/user/gabrielbogdan#p/u/2/v0IJwe94ZE8
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWy08jv9Lwc&feature=related
A fragment of a very beautiful rendition of the Canon of the Nativity.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

Here is a Pontian Christmas carol that I posted last year. It's then followed by some interesting secular songs and footage of a Carnival practice Pontians celebrate(d) around this time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ZPUq42D3M

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

.  Anaphora also has put out a great English language  CD  called "Make Ready O'Bethlehem" in the line of chants.

Chanted by my godfather and two others I have been fortunate and blessed to share the chant stand with.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SoleRedemption

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

towerofdavid77
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »

Here's some cool medieval Byzantine carols I stumbled upon the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHckQsqemQ8
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: