OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:20:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Septuagint  (Read 2569 times) Average Rating: 0
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 19, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »

Is the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS) any good?  Just trying to find a good translation.  The last one I found was done back in the early half of the last century by an Englishman.
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

Is the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS) any good?  Just trying to find a good translation.  The last one I found was done back in the early half of the last century by an Englishman.

It's a good academic translation but it's theologically neutral so it's not suitable for liturgical use, for lay Bible study I think it's fine, at least until a modern Orthodox translation is completed.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »

It's a good academic translation but it's theologically neutral so it's not suitable for liturgical use,

Could you expand on that? I could see how an academic translation might not be suitable for liturgical use because it's hard to chant, etc. But I would think 'theological neutrality' would always be a strength in a translation (especially if the translators don't share my theology).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »

It's a good academic translation but it's theologically neutral so it's not suitable for liturgical use,

Could you expand on that? I could see how an academic translation might not be suitable for liturgical use because it's hard to chant, etc. But I would think 'theological neutrality' would always be a strength in a translation (especially if the translators don't share my theology).

Not always: it translates Genesis 1:2 as "and a divine wind was being carried along over the water," as opposed to "The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water," equally possible linguistically, and correct theologically.  And it doesn't make Creation sound like Jehovah's fart.

Btw, you can check it out:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/01-gen-nets.pdf
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:51:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »

Ya, I saw the "divine wind" passage and decided to pass.
Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »

Not always: it translates Genesis 1:2 as "and a divine wind was being carried along over the water," as opposed to "The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water," equally possible linguistically, and correct theologically.  And it doesn't make Creation sound like Jehovah's fart.

Yip witega, this is the kinda thing I was referring to, glad I didn't have to post it myself. Sure pneuma can be transalted as "wind" so it's correct academically. But theologically? Divine flatulence? Perhaps the translators are advocates of the "big bang" theory, LOL.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:10:39 PM by Nazarene » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:44:06 PM »

Not always: it translates Genesis 1:2 as "and a divine wind was being carried along over the water," as opposed to "The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water," equally possible linguistically, and correct theologically.  And it doesn't make Creation sound like Jehovah's fart.

Yip witega, this is the kinda thing I was referring to, glad I didn't have to post it myself. Sure pneuma can be transalted as "wind" so it's correct academically. But theologically? Divine flatulence? Perhaps the translators are advocates of the "big bang" theory, LOL.

LOL.  Good one.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »

Ya, I saw the "divine wind" passage and decided to pass.
"decided to pass"..... laugh laugh
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »

So many puns!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

I have it, and think it's good for what it is. If someone wants an English translation of the Bible actually blessed for use by Orthodox hierarchs, to my knoweldge, the only one out there at this time is the Revised Standard Version with the [Complete] Apocrypha. It's neither the Septuagint, an Orthodox translation, nor is it based on the Orthodox Greek texts, but, for what it is, I think it's good. It reads better, to me at least, than the NETS, which is good if one wants to go more in depth--the NETS will translate various extant Septuaging manuscripts if there are alternate readings.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 11:13:24 PM »

Is the New English Translation of the Septuagint (NETS) any good?  Just trying to find a good translation.  The last one I found was done back in the early half of the last century by an Englishman.

The protestant translation I tend to use is this one:

http://septuagint-interlinear-greek-bible.com/OldTestament.pdf (Septuagint - interlinear Bible (Lucian's Rescension) as done by the The Apostolic Bible polyglot)  (I like it because about 90% of the Old Testament quotes you will find in the New Testament will actually match)

http://septuagint-interlinear-greek-bible.com/ (the Apostolic Bible polyglot)

The EOB is looking pretty good:
http://www.orthodox-church.info/eob/

And then, there is always the old protestant Brenton's translation. (about 75% of the Old Testament quotes found in the New Testament will match)

I keep giving away my Orthodox Study Bibles. I gave away one last year to a Baptist friend, and I bought another one a few days ago, and gave it away to moms. Hopefully I will keep the next one I buy.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:21:48 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

I keep giving away my Orthodox Study Bibles. I gave away one last year to a Baptist friend, and I bought another one a few days ago, and gave it away to moms. Hopefully I will keep the next one I buy.

ICXC NIKA

If you change your mind, I won't mind taking it off your hands, LOL. I don't have a copy but I'd love to add the OSB to my collection.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

How is the OSB translation of the septuagint compared to what else is out there?
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »

How is the OSB translation of the septuagint compared to what else is out there?

The NETS is just that: A New English Translation of the Septuagint. The OSB (corrected NKJV) often does not accurately or completely reflect the LXX. However, the theological neutrality of the NETS means that the OSB will often be more appropriate for Liturgical use. 
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »

....The OSB (corrected NKJV) often does not accurately or completely reflect the LXX. However, the theological neutrality of the NETS means that the OSB will often be more appropriate for Liturgical use. 
It really is amazing how many entirely different opinions there are about the OSB. Compare with this post on another thread:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24915.msg390191.html#msg390191

Personally, I'm glad to have the OSB for its readability. The footnotes are brief (and sometimes insultingly superficial) but they serve as a good quick reference and make a starting point for the more serious student. I would like to think that future editions will benefit from comments from us ordinary users. And I was disappointed that such a long list of typographical errors had to be produced.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

ICXC NIKA

If you change your mind, I won't mind taking it off your hands, LOL. I don't have a copy but I'd love to add the OSB to my collection.

You never know. I never planned on giving my first one away, but I did, and so, whatever happens, happens.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags: Septuagint Orthodox Study Bible 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: