Author Topic: Early Church fathers who knew the apostles  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
Early Church fathers who knew the apostles
« on: December 19, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of any extra-canonical writings from the early Church fathers (or anyone else for that matter) that speak of direct contact or conversations with any of Christ's apostles or Paul.

Thanks!

Offline alexp4uni

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
Re: Early Church fathers who knew the apostles
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Well theirs a guy named Nuhrono who wanted to be bread fed to the lions while being imprisoned in Rome. He was a 'true disciple'. (Hint: he was a friend of 'John the Theologian')

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
Ignatius the God Bearer of Antioch (is that whom you were referring to, alex?) was a disciple of John the THeologian and also is said to be young boy whom Christ held in his arms (Mark 9: 35).
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline alexp4uni

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
Ignatius the God Bearer of Antioch (is that whom you were referring to, alex?) was a disciple of John the THeologian and also is said to be young boy whom Christ held in his arms (Mark 9: 35).

Well theirs a guy named Nuhrono ...

Horrible grammar on my part. But ya you got it. 

Anyway the "Illuminator" will be commemorated in the Syrian church this Sunday before Christmas, though I don't know if it's his exact date of Matrydom. 

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 06:28:21 PM »
I don't know if the same rules apply in the Syrian Church, alex, but since St. Ignatius' commemoration day is on a Sunday, it is automatically transferred to the 19th (i.e. today).
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 06:46:25 PM »
Ignatius the God Bearer of Antioch (is that whom you were referring to, Alex?) was a disciple of John the Theologian and also is said to be young boy whom Christ held in his arms (Mark 9: 35).

When did this legend originate?  What is its source?  Does St. Ignatius claim it himself in his writings?

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
Wasn't Saint Clement of Rome ordained by Saint Peter?

source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04012c.htm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:17:47 PM by HandmaidenofGod »
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 07:20:42 PM »
Ignatius the God Bearer of Antioch (is that whom you were referring to, Alex?) was a disciple of John the Theologian and also is said to be young boy whom Christ held in his arms (Mark 9: 35).

When did this legend originate?  What is its source?  Does St. Ignatius claim it himself in his writings?

Here is some info on Ignatius:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07644a.htm
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline alexp4uni

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »
I don't know if the same rules apply in the Syrian Church, alex, but since St. Ignatius' commemoration day is on a Sunday, it is automatically transferred to the 19th (i.e. today).

Well moving aside the Old vs New Calendar issue as well an conflict belonging to an inaccuracy of a Departing date. The custom among the Indians is to push forward the commemoration on Sunday out of convenience.
But his day still stands on that Sunday.

But your saying it goes backwards. Is this in reference to a new weekly cycle? Is this to be done to commemorate the Saint before the New Sunday. Meaning the week before of December 13 is when you recognized him? What comes about before Nativity when commemorating a local Saint?

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

Well moving aside the Old vs New Calendar issue as well an conflict belonging to an inaccuracy of a Departing date. The custom among the Indians is to push forward the commemoration on Sunday out of convenience.
But his day still stands on that Sunday.

But your saying it goes backwards. Is this in reference to a new weekly cycle? Is this to be done to commemorate the Saint before the New Sunday. Meaning the week before of December 13 is when you recognized him? What comes about before Nativity when commemorating a local Saint?

I may be wrong, but I don't think the transferring of the date is simply because of "Sunday", but rather because this particular Sunday is the Sunday before the Nativity which would take precedence. I doubt that it makes any difference about Old or New Calendar, just depends on the day of the week that the dates happen to fall. So, yes, St. Ignatius would be commemorated on December 19 in some years, to avoid a conflict with the Sunday before the Nativity. It proved to be somewhat more complicated in my own little mission parish, whose patron is St. Ignatius. We rent space that is rarely available to us outside of Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Our priest chose to honour our patron with a Divine Liturgy on Wednesday evening (Dec 16). Might not have been quite according to all the rules, but we appreciated it. We had, I think, 16 in attendance. Not bad when our Sunday morning congregation rarely exceeds 25!

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:57:24 PM »
St Polycarp was a disciple of St John the Theologian, and was consecrated Bishop of Smyrna by him. His Epistle to the Philippians is found here http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0136.htm.

edit: I don't think this meets your requirements of speaking of direct contact or conversations with any of Christ's apostles or Paul. Anyway, there is a snippet of information on him at http://books.google.com.au/books?id=NysQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA601&lpg=PA601&dq=%22polybius%22+%2B+%22disciple+of+st+john%22&source=bl&ots=hCvg6M9raA&sig=rg8hkS9nCeJUa27z5chl7SwJCZs&hl=en&ei=rWYtS6SPPMqHkQWQ_OFu&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22polybius%22%20%2B%20%22disciple%20of%20st%20john%22&f=false

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 08:00:40 PM by Riddikulus »
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
Pope St. Clement of Rome, whose letter was considered Scripture by some (like Codex Sianitius, our earliest and most complete Bible).
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:17:18 AM »
Pope St. Clement of Rome, whose letter was considered Scripture by some (like Codex Sianitius, our earliest and most complete Bible).

Are you aware with whom St. Clement had contact, specifically?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:17:32 AM by Ortho_cat »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »

Are you aware with whom St. Clement had contact, specifically?

SS. Peter and Paul. I am not sure about others, but St. Irenaeus seemed to be:
The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric. This man, as he had seen the blessed apostles, and had been conversant with them, might be said to have the preaching of the apostles still echoing [in his ears], and their traditions before his eyes. Nor was he alone [in this], for there were many still remaining who had received instructions from the apostles.
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.iv.iv.html
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
Did any of the really early Fathers ever write about their own experiences in meeting the Apostles?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.