OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 27, 2014, 03:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chewing gum in a Church  (Read 3294 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: December 18, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »

Is it common? What do you think of it?

I've in dosens of times and see it disgusting and insulting. One person I've seen took even the Eucharist right after he had taken gum away.

I have no idea whether I've posted it in the right place.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:10:11 PM by mike » Logged
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:09:47 PM »

I've in dosens of times and see it disgusting and insulting. One person I've seen took even the Eucharist right after he had taken gum away.

Chewing gum is breaking the fast.........its a no no no no.............And it is also disrespectful as well.......
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »

Keeping up with the Christian distinction between judging and Christian rebuke, I would quietly approach the person, if I had a relationship with them, and in private explain to them that chewing gum is breaking the fast.  This type of admonishment is called for in St. Paul.

It would be wrong, however, to relate to other people that so-and-so chews gum during Church or to have a thought like, "Look at that guy chewing gum! What an idiot!"  That would be judgmentalism. Admonishment seeks to correct in love for the sake of the person; judgmentalism has a sense of making yourself feel or seem better.

I'm sure you know that, but I figured I'd spell it out anyway since some people have the idea that we can "never judge" by which they mean, "never tell someone else they are doing something wrong."

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:41:32 PM »

Good advice Father, thank you.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:26:32 PM »

If you're going to chew gum in church, make sure you don't stick it under the pew when you're done with it.  That's even worse. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:29:12 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »

I've been to churches where they serve doughnuts and cappuccino during the service.  These churches were obviously not Orthodox churches.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

If you're going to chew gum in church, make sure you don't stick it under the pew when you're done with it.  That's even worse. Tongue

Luckily we don't have enough space to have pews, a few chairs only Smiley:

source: http://www.cerkiew.pl/index.php?id=33&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11917&cHash=f359a4b9d2

I've been to churches where they serve doughnuts and cappuccino during the service.  These churches were obviously not Orthodox churches.

We do it after the service Smiley
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:35:56 PM by mike » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »

Outrage!  Statuary!
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »

I've been to churches where they serve doughnuts and cappuccino during the service.  These churches were obviously not Orthodox churches.
I once went Divine Liturgy services in NY where every week some of the babushkas fried doughnuts during the service..... and you couldn’t think about the liturgy (yummy smell).
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:52 PM »

Outrage!  Statuary!

Luckily there isn't seen Divine Mercy painting in front of the altar table. We use an Old Catholic Chapel Smiley
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »

Mike,

Perhaps the man is chewing gum for some medical reason. Not sure what that might be, but who knows? It might not pay to leap to any conclusions regarding disrespect and all that. I guess you could simply ask him why he is doing it.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:30 PM »

Mike,

Perhaps the man is chewing gum for some medical reason. Not sure what that might be, but who knows? It might not pay to leap to any conclusions regarding disrespect and all that. I guess you could simply ask him why he is doing it.

As thought I, because he seems to be a devout Christian. I did nothing to him, but as it was not the first time I've seen a person chewing gum during the DL I became curious what do you think about it and have you ever encounter such behaviour. That is my main point.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:55:43 PM by mike » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

Mike,

As thought I, because he seems to be a devout Christian. I did nothing to him, but as it was not the first time I've seen a person chewing gum during the DL I became curious what do you think about it and have you ever encounter such behaviour. That is my main point.

Come to think of it, Mike, I live in a place (Australia) where chewing gum doesn't seem to be fashionable anymore, so I've never seen it happen in Church. I probably wouldn't think much of it, assuming that anyone chewing gum in Church was trying to quit smoking, again because of where I live and the fact that chewing gum for the sake of chewing gum is simply such a rarity.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »

Outrage!  Statuary!

keen observance.
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 05:11:28 AM »

Chewing gum is breaking the fast.........its a no no no no.............And it is also disrespectful as well.......

Same opinion. Chewing gums release nourishments for the body (for example sugar) so it is breaking the fast. Also, eating anything in church except for the Eucharist or antidoron means changing a sacred place for a profane. Chewing also distracts from the Liturgy, it's noisy so it can distract others... and is entirely unnecessary. I can't find a single reason to justify it!

In Christ

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 06:08:54 AM »

...chewing gum is breaking the fast.
Huh? It has never occurred to me that chewing gum would be breaking the fast. Care to explain, Father?

believer74

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »

Okay, how about when you see a grown woman doing the 'Blackberry prayer' during Liturgy?? 'OMG'. Now that we're on distractions, what do you think about folks not attending service so they can do something else (e.g., cook for afterwards, prune hedges, etc.)? I was asked to teach Sunday school very shortly (too shortly, IMO) after I got chrismated, and although I felt selfish, in a way, I also didn't want to have to miss Liturgy every single week thereafter (so I sort of indirectly declined).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »

Huh? It has never occurred to me that chewing gum would be breaking the fast. Care to explain, Father?

Oh? I suppose you brush your teeth before liturgy as well? Sigh, the pitfalls of modernism!   Tongue
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 12:28:12 AM »

Oh? I suppose you brush your teeth before liturgy as well? Sigh, the pitfalls of modernism!   Tongue
I hope you don't swallow the toothpaste.  That's not good for you, you know. Wink
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »

Are you serious? No brushing teeth before liturgy?

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 04:44:11 AM »

Oh? I suppose you brush your teeth before liturgy as well? Sigh, the pitfalls of modernism!   Tongue

Welcome to the Finnish Church! Wink
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:45:03 AM by Alpo » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:16 AM »

Oh? I suppose you brush your teeth before liturgy as well? Sigh, the pitfalls of modernism!   Tongue

Oh, for heaven's sake!  Shocked (At least for your priest's sake!)  Brush your teeth before the Liturgy!

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19409.0.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:50:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 04:55:35 AM »

Oh, for heaven's sake!  Shocked (At least for your priest's sake!)  Brush your teeth before the Liturgy!

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19409.0.html

How dare you suggest that I ever have morning breath!!  Angry  laugh

Seriously though, this is the first time I have ever heard that there could be a problem with brushing teeth before the Liturgy.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 07:53:49 AM »

Asteriktos was merely joshing (at least I hope he was!)  Shocked
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:54:29 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »

Asteriktos was merely joshing (at least I hope he was!)  Shocked

I was indeed joking, though I have seen people seriously talking about whether you should brush your teeth before liturgy (e.g. see reply #9 in this thread).
Tags: proper behavior 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: